LD Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th, MTL)

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I'd love someone who whatched him play KHL games to tell me why the kid is still pointless in 28 KHL games (out of what,40?) this season.
He seems so to be on the low-end of the +/- stat compared to other CSKA defencemen and I have trouble getting TOI easily.

Haven't seen him play other than highlights really. I understand from you folks that he is not "driving" the offence in WJC but I get the feeling that the share of points he gets is fair to his play. This is a genuine question. How come this kid goes pointless in 28/40 KHL games and lead his WJC team and all defencemen in points?

I'd like a wrap-up of his line-pairing-mates/missions in KHL/WJC... If someone can sum this up. Thanks.

KHL is the second best professional league in the world, world junior the kids are under 20... that is the difference

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'd love someone who whatched him play KHL games to tell me why the kid is still pointless in 28 KHL games (out of what,40?) this season.
He seems so to be on the low-end of the +/- stat compared to other CSKA defencemen and I have trouble getting TOI easily.

Haven't seen him play other than highlights really. I understand from you folks that he is not "driving" the offence in WJC but I get the feeling that the share of points he gets is fair to his play. This is a genuine question. How come this kid goes pointless in 28/40 KHL games and lead his WJC team and all defencemen in points?

I'd like a wrap-up of his line-pairing-mates/missions in KHL/WJC... If someone can sum this up. Thanks.

I recall a Habs fan posting about his ice time being very inconsistent and often under 10 minutes per game. Which isn’t all that surprising considering his age.

You’d still expect him to pick up a point after this many games, but personally seeing him stick around at 18 on a top KHL team is enough.

Reactions: ottawa

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Top 10 prospect pool? Maybe after the draft considering the picks they have, right now, no.

Right now, yes. Like other people have managed, we have a bunch of players in the WJC and several of them are doing really well like Poehling, Primeau, and Romanov.

The only graduation since the summer is Kotkaniemi which is obviously huge, but other teams had graduations too and prospects like Poehling and Romanov have really upped their reputation as prospects.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Colorado, NYI, Carolina, Vancouver, Detroit, Philadelphia, L.A. etc.

Right there with Chicago, Florida.

Haven't put much thought into it, considering graduations etc.
We are easily a top 10 pool. Better than Phi, and LA. You also forgot the Knights, a top 3 pool imo.
Also we are easily among the best in terms of depth, prob top 3 depth, but after KK's graduation, we are around top 8ish imo

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Right now, yes. Like other people have managed, we have a bunch of players in the WJC and several of them are doing really well like Poehling, Primeau, and Romanov.

The only graduation since the summer is Kotkaniemi which is obviously huge, but other teams had graduations too and prospects like Poehling and Romanov have really upped their reputation as prospects.
Juulsen as well, depending on the cutoff. Pronman has us at 6 (?) And had juulsen as a prospect

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
KHL is the second best professional league in the world, world junior the kids are under 20... that is the difference
I could figure our it's the biggest difference. Not complaining about the stat itself. He is doing something right to have 28GP already, no matter how many minutes.

I recall a Habs fan posting about his ice time being very inconsistent and often under 10 minutes per game. Which isn’t all that surprising considering his age.

You’d still expect him to pick up a point after this many games, but personally seeing him stick around at 18 on a top KHL team is enough.
Yeah, I totally agree with you, it's plenty enough for me too. I am just surprised to see him show numbers like that in the WJC and was curious about those minutes in the KHL. I don't really mind if he's being sheltered if they really think he's worthy of dressing up.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Defenseman of the U20s. +12. 8 points in 7 games as one of the youngest out there. Named to the all-star team. He has a great future ahead of him.

Well deserved. He was on the ice for 13 goals for on 5v5 hockey and just one goal against (5v5). He also was great on the PP and displayed amazing transitional hockey in him.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Defenseman of the U20s. +12. 8 points in 7 games as one of the youngest out there. Named to the all-star team. He has a great future ahead of him.

Well deserved. He was on the ice for 13 goals for on 5v5 hockey and just one goal against (5v5). He also was great on the PP and displayed amazing transitional hockey in him.
But not Russia's best d-man.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I could figure our it's the biggest difference. Not complaining about the stat itself. He is doing something right to have 28GP already, no matter how many minutes.

Yeah, I totally agree with you, it's plenty enough for me too. I am just surprised to see him show numbers like that in the WJC and was curious about those minutes in the KHL. I don't really mind if he's being sheltered if they really think he's worthy of dressing up.

My understanding from the talks of various observers on this forum that follow his games in Russia is that his role in the KHL is much more limited, playing between 8-12 minutes a night on the "4th" pairing. They alternate him at LD & RD and mostly involve him in defensive situations as CSKA is a very stacked up team that doesn't need him per say to drive up their offense in key situations.

As an 18 years old he was already so reliable defensively that they decided to keep him up and make him play rather than have some plug on the 4th pair. It's their way of having him learn the system & grow within the organization without overworking him. And he's a decent insurance policy to have down the road in cases of injuries. I guess if they had a 3 pairs system like in the NHL he would probably be in the juniors racking up top pairing minutes & Prime scoring opportunities.

By his play at every tourney, he'd likely be a top 20 pick in a redraft at the moment, but for now he's still very much unknown as to what his true ceiling is.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009

I thought the same thing and from what I could find he is three years younger than the next youngest player on his team. The fact that he is even playing is insane in the first place. He is playing around 10 minutes per game with no power play time and in mostly defensive match-ups. When you see him come back and play with his age group he is the best defencemen of this tournament.

He's +12 in plus/minus leading all players.
Leading all D in points. 8 Points total.
Has made several big hits and is extremely physical for his size and weight.

Romanov clears front of net vs canada:

He looks very promising and has a lot of confidence for a player his age (KHL). Maybe now that he has done well at the WJC his KHL team may start to increase his TOI and give him a bit of power-play time. All things considered you have to temper expectations for him as he is three years younger. They (his KHL team) see and recognize his skillset. They just have a bunch of strong players with much more experience. He is on CSKA which is the best team in the KHL. They have a pile of high end talent to put out on the ice. Back to Romanov; his father and Grand father both played professional hockey. Hockey is in his blood.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Clutch! Was it the game winner?
Hold your horses. He is a defenceman, remember? He was also directly responsible for the 4th goal against giving away the puck two times in a row in the own zone. I bet his gradfather will have a few things to say about this after the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad