LD Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th, MTL)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kid was deemed a bust all off season by the most influential hf boards Habs members.

Turns out you need to wait at least 7 minutes of playing time after the draft to decide if a kid is a bust or not.
LOL at ppl losing their minds over 1 game in the KHL. Calm down. He's played 7:40, he will get games over the course of the season, but it's not like he is showing something out of the ordinary to prove he is a special prospect for now,

Reactions: TheBeastCoast

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
LOL at ppl losing their minds over 1 game in the KHL. Calm down. He's played 7:40, he will get games over the course of the season, but it's not like he is showing something out of the ordinary to prove he is a special prospect for now,

No one's saying he's a special prospect, just that he's not a terrible prospect just because he wasn't known to many people

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007

Not a bust yet = a special prospect for you?

Interesting...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kid was deemed a bust all off season by the most influential hf boards Habs members.

Turns out you need to wait at least 7 minutes of playing time after the draft to decide if a kid is a bust or not.

only time will tell what he is. For a top scout like Timmins he needs to nail those high 2nd round picks. Hopefully he got this one right.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Not going to pretend to know anything about the guy, but playing in the KHL as a defenceman at that age is a big deal. I’m not sure how great 7 minutes a game will be for his development though. Gurianov spent a year playing fourth line minutes in the KHL and he has developed increasingly slow, but it may also be because he isn’t the best player.

Feels like this was a reach of a pick, but if he can make the KHL at 18 I like his chances of making the NHL some time in his 20s.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Not a bust yet = a special prospect for you?

Interesting...
That again. Go find me MY post where I call him a bust...

Top half 2nd round is a special prospect in my book. I don't think Romanov is in that category. And this has nothing to do with bust or no bust. A 1OA can bust and an undrafted player can become a star. It's about prospect ranking for now. He is in his draft yer ffs. In 5 years we can talk about busting or not.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal

Top half 2nd round is a special prospect in my book. I don't think Romanov is in that category. And this has nothing to do with bust or no bust. A 1OA can bust and an undrafted player can become a star. It's about prospect ranking for now. He is in his draft yer ffs. In 5 years we can talk about busting or not.
There are ~45 "special" prospects per draft? That's a lot of special players.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Romanov was a reach, but you're massively overestimating a lot of prospects if you think top of the 2nd round is a special prospects. You're gambling a lot on luck outside the lottery eligible team picks in the draft.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007

You are really bad at reading comprehension.

Not a bust yet = my first post

The second part of the "formula" was about your reaction to my first post. Where, for some reason, you implied that I was getting super excited when all I said was... Not a bust yet.

That said, at this point in time, I am as happy with Romanov as any other player available then.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
He was one of my sleeper picks going into the draft. Obviously the Habs scouts felt he was more than a sleeper.

I love the hits. I think he'll be a really good one.

Reactions: Mrb1p

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I didn’t really know that was part of his game. I always thought that he was an offensive blue-liner.

It would be great if he can develop into an all-around D.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I don't see how he could have been a bad pick for a second rounder. He is in the KHL as an 18 year old. If there is a player able to play minutes in one of the best leagues in the world (and show signs of high offensive talent) right after his draft, I would draft him high too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad