LD Alexander Nikishin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2020, 69th, CAR)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I've read a report that Nikishin has some minor cardiac abnormalities, so KHL doctors aren't allowing him to play (they're pretty paranoid about heart related stuff after Cherepanov's case). Reportedly he is now in Germany, as if doctors there will give him a permit after throughout diagnostics then he should be allowed to play, but still he will miss the first month of the season. If I understood correctly, the same situation has happened last season too, so it is expected that it will be fine again too.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I've read a report that Nikishin has some minor cardiac abnormalities, so KHL doctors aren't allowing him to play (they're pretty paranoid about heart related stuff after Cherepanov's case). Reportedly he is now in Germany, as if doctors there will give him a permit after throughout diagnostics then he should be allowed to play, but still he will miss the first month of the season. If I understood correctly, the same situation has happened last season too, so it is expected that it will be fine again too.

This will likely effect his draft stock, no?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This will likely effect his draft stock, no?

Considering that NHL doctors won't get to evaluate him, it will at least cause paranoia. It could drop him on some boards, and might not drop him on others.

Also considering he's a Russian player thats not that highly regarded by everyone, his draft stock wasn't too great anyway. Some teams might've not had him on their draft board, so I doubt this would have much effect for those teams.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Ranked 24th by Central Scouting amongst European players and played in KHL last year but doesn't appear to have played any games representing Russia in international play.

Is there some reason for the difference in opinion on his ability or other factors?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I love the physicality, but how are other aspects of his game like his puck skills and IQ?

Is his upside similar to someone like Zadorov? Just from highlights I’ve seen he seems reminiscent of a young Vladimir Konstantinov.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Man. I don't think I've seen a draft eligible player as good as Nikishin at hitting since I started following the draft in 2016. Teach this guy when to hit, positioning, get his overall defensive IQ up, this guy will be a monster. He also has surprisingly solid puck skills and skating, but consistency is a severe issue. Gotta get Scott Stevens over here to train this kid, seriously. A guy like him would work absolute wonders for his development.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does that mean he won't play in the WJC or they are still waiting for clearance? There are still another few weeks before the team should be leaving for Canada. It'd be a shame if he had to miss the tournament. He's probably Russia's best defenseman this year.

Reactions: ookhaab

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Does that mean he won't play in the WJC or they are still waiting for clearance?
It doesn't mean anything yet. He will play even if he gets cleared at the last second. Also considering he has been playing pretty heavy minutes in the K last few games formal clearance seems just a question of time.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It doesn't mean anything yet. He will play even if he gets cleared at the last second. Also considering he has been playing pretty heavy minutes in the K last few games formal clearance seems just a question of time.
Yeah, I gues it would be wrong to bring him to camp just to have to leave him out last minute. He is getting more than just game practice in the KHL. If he gets cleared, just call him up. It would be way more diappointing for him spending a month a in camp with the guys only to not be allowed to play.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

"Last second" in this year's bubble conditions isn't exactly the last second though - pretty sure he will need to be cleared at least some days before the flight to Edmonton on 13th of December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad