LD Alex Vlasic (2019, 43rd, CHI)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Alex Vlasic, the cousin of Marc-Eduard Vlasic is in my top 15 for the 2019 draft so far. He’s a big 6’5 190 pound right shot defenseman already at 16. He’s only going to progress and impress as the next few years go on.

Reactions: d rake

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Committed to BU but also a draft pick of the London Knights.

Be interesting to see if he makes his way to London next year or the year after.

Reactions: LeafChief

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Didn't know he was Marc-Eduard's cousin , interesting considering he's from Illinois. Big 6'6 defender ( those Croatian genes ) , does he project as more as a shutdown type? Doesn't seem to have a meanstreak based on his PIMS.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Alex Vlasic, the cousin of Marc-Eduard Vlasic is in my top 15 for the 2019 draft so far. He’s a big 6’5 190 pound right shot defenseman already at 16. He’s only going to progress and impress as the next few years go on.

He's had a slow but steady progression but his footwork and footspeed will scare a lot of teams out of using a 1-2 round pick on him, specially in this draft. He is a player that will really benefit from a longer developmental path like the college route. He isn't make big leaps but its a work in progress from what I can see.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn't know he was Marc-Eduard's cousin , interesting considering he's from Illinois. Big 6'6 defender ( those Croatian genes ) , does he project as more as a shutdown type? Doesn't seem to have a meanstreak based on his PIMS.

He's not a shutdown type. He's a big defensemen with an all-around game, but the skating is a huge issue.

Reactions: kroypuck

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
He's not a shutdown type. He's a big defensemen with an all-around game, but the skating is a huge issue.

Don't see him as a great NHL prospect for this reason. Anyone his size needs to play gritty and use their stick and size to their advantage. He doesn't play this way so I just can't see him being a solid prospect moving forward.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've only seen a little this season. I'm starting to like his offensive game more, but its good for his size, not high-level OFD good. The skating still is bad, and he's not a shutdown type. He has two-way potential, but significant skating issues and the need to improve defensively. The latter isn't that bad for a player his age and very correctable, but you'd usually expect a big player with skating issues to at least have the defensive game down pat. There is no falling back on being a 6D who hits people hard, clears the crease, and plays the PK.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I've only seen a little this season. I'm starting to like his offensive game more, but its good for his size, not high-level OFD good. The skating still is bad, and he's not a shutdown type. He has two-way potential, but significant skating issues and the need to improve defensively. The latter isn't that bad for a player his age and very correctable, but you'd usually expect a big player with skating issues to at least have the defensive game down pat. There is no falling back on being a 6D who hits people hard, clears the crease, and plays the PK.
I agree with your post here. I feel like Vlasic try to be too skill beyond his capabilities. I have seen him countless times where he attempts a dangle that just isn't something he is able to do. I hope that makes sense.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
I agree with your post here. I feel like Vlasic try to be too skill beyond his capabilities. I have seen him countless times where he attempts a dangle that just isn't something he is able to do. I hope that makes sense.

I hate when scouts talk about his size. The only benefit that he has with size is his reach, other than that he does not ever use it to his advantage. He seems to be making some improvements but still lacks even decent skating ability. Nothing about his game really stands out to me.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
I hate when scouts talk about his size. The only benefit that he has with size is his reach, other than that he does not ever use it to his advantage. He seems to be making some improvements but still lacks even decent skating ability. Nothing about his game really stands out to me.

His hockey smarts might be able to offset his lack of footspeed but how often is that the case? not every. with where the NHL is trending and getting faster, i'd have a hard time using a 1st or 2nd round pick on him right now, especially in this draft.... just my opinion on how he projects at the NHL level... Certainly plays well against his peer group right now which I think is why some are high on him...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
His hockey smarts might be able to offset his lack of footspeed but how often is that the case? not every. with where the NHL is trending and getting faster, i'd have a hard time using a 1st or 2nd round pick on him right now, especially in this draft.... just my opinion on how he projects at the NHL level... Certainly plays well against his peer group right now which I think is why some are high on him...

I had Mattias Samuelsson as a better player than Vlasic at the same stage in nearly every category there is...and he went 32nd overall...Maybe the overall depth at the position hurt Samuelsson as a first rounder and Vlasic can stand out a bit brighter here, but I would be very surprised to see him taken in the first round at this early stage.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I had Mattias Samuelsson as a better player than Vlasic at the same stage in nearly every category there is...and he went 32nd overall...Maybe the overall depth at the position hurt Samuelsson as a first rounder and Vlasic can stand out a bit brighter here, but I would be very surprised to see him taken in the first round at this early stage.

I understand what you are trying to say and I agree, but just to clarify for those who haven't watched Vlasic play much, he plays nothing like Mattias Samuelsson. Samuelsson is a tough shutdown defenseman. Vlasic tries to play a finesse game. The player he reminds me of is Adam Samuelsson, the kid who didn't get drafted. I think he's better than him, but similar profile, in my opinion.

Reactions: kroypuck

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think his skating issues are a little overblown. Adam Samuelson was never projected to be a 1st rounder, but this kid is (#20 on McKenzie’s pre-season list) There’s a reason for that, IMO.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think his skating issues are a little overblown. Adam Samuelson was never projected to be a 1st rounder, but this kid is (#20 on McKenzie’s pre-season list) There’s a reason for that, IMO.
PB has been much harder on Vlasic than I have. I do not agree at all with comparing him to Adam Samuelsson, as all they have in common is that size. Vlasic is a much better skater, passer, all around player than Adam was...and to be honest I saw some glimpses of hope for Adam as well, he isn't a complete waste, just wrong era.

I compare him to Mattias Samuelsson who himself is 6'4 220lbs, but Mattias has some skill. He could make outlet passes, they were crisp and accurate. He had a nice shot as well, and got the puck through traffic more times than not. His bread and butter will be his shutdown game, but he is no slouch offensively and neither is Vlasic.

Vlasic is a legit prospect, I am comfortable ranking him in the 2nd/3rd round range, but he has a ways to go to be a top 31 pick for me, but like you said, scouts are seeing something a bit more than some of us on here have so far.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018

Willing to bet Bob hasn't seen him play a single game, he takes averages of scouts he talks to... IDK if that's a good way to rank players or not.... I personally don't pay attention to Bob McKenzie's draft list, especially this early in the year.... seems like click bait for click bait sake.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Willing to bet Bob hasn't seen him play a single game, he takes averages of scouts he talks to... IDK if that's a good way to rank players or not.... I personally don't pay attention to Bob McKenzie's draft list, especially this early in the year.... seems like click bait for click bait sake.

Bob has never claimed it as his rankings though, he’s very upfront with how his list is compiled and it’s not a rankings for how they think they’ll be 10-15 years down the road but a ranking of where those scouts think that player will be drafted.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
these are the guys I trust and respect the most when it comes to player rankings..

2019 NHL Draft: HockeyProspect.com September Top 10 (Updated to Top 31) - HockeyProspect.com

waiting for their next one to drop, but they too have Vlasic top 31...I guess we will see if he remains there or drops out over the next 4-6 months

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Getting input from actual NHL scouts is a bad way to rank players?

Agree to disagree on that one.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Getting input from actual NHL scouts is a bad way to rank players?

Agree to disagree on that one.

no just averaging all opinions together to come up with a ranking seems a bit odd..... but it sure gets people talking which is what TSN is looking for when they release Bob's and Craigs rankings....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad