GDT: Lazy GDT: 2/17/18 - Capitals @ TankHawks 7:30 CT on WGN

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Racist, sexist and homophobic heckling should get anybody ejected immediately, no questions asked.

This was pretty obviously racist, and I'd be happy to hear these idiots were banned for life for it.

As far as other heckling, whatever. Ideally you're smart enough to look around to make sure kids are out of earshot before dropping f-bombs, but otherwise have at it.
I have no problem with the fans being ejected. Heckling is a privilege. It's not a right. The right way to heckle is when everyone can laugh, including the target. It's supposed to be fun, not personal, intelligent banter. This was none of that.

That said, let's get some perspective. It wasn't like some ''OMG moment." It was stupid and not nice. I don't think these idiots tried to stir up some kind of racial controversy. Women, just like African Americans, have been oppressed for centuries. However, no one says a word when we call out a goon for 'punching like a girl.'

It's okay to AGREE that they should have been kicked out. However, it's also okay to ask people to not blow it out of proportion. I just wish for people to use more common sense from every angle.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I have no problem with the fans being ejected. Heckling is a privilege. It's not a right. The right way to heckle is when everyone can laugh, including the target. It's supposed to be fun, not personal, intelligent banter. This was none of that.

That said, let's get some perspective. It wasn't like some ''OMG moment." It was stupid and not nice. I don't think these idiots tried to stir up some kind of racial controversy. Women, just like African Americans, have been oppressed for centuries. However, no one says a word when we call out a goon for 'punching like a girl.'

It's okay to AGREE that they should have been kicked out. However, it's also okay to ask people to not blow it out of proportion. I just wish for people to use more common sense from every angle.

Actually, this kind of thing gets called out often in this day and age, at least in my experience and seeing it on social media. Get your overall point, however.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
you know, i really lived and in some places still living thru that hatred and i am not a shame to admit this, i truly am seeing the people standing up against that stupidity in many communities.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
4 idiots can make an entire fanbase look like ****. Unfortunately this is how things work.

Yep, just like the Wayne Simmonds incident. It's why I think the NHL, 'hawks, and UC have to throw the book at gutterslime like them.

There's been a lot of negative crap about the "Hockey is for Everyone" movement. This is why it's needed.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yep, just like the Wayne Simmonds incident. It's why I think the NHL, 'hawks, and UC have to throw the book at gutterslime like them.

There's been a lot of negative crap about the "Hockey is for Everyone" movement. This is why it's needed.

I have a feeling that Rocky and the Hawks will do the right thing aka whatever looks best publicly for the org.

The 4 people are idiots.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's very likely they attended their last ever NHL game. Good riddance. They look like a couple of dumb ass meatheads.

Not to derail the thread, but I've always wonder if a ban of a fan actually works, in practice. I don't mean, should he/she be ban, but the enforcement of it. Obviously you can prevent the person from buying season tickets, but if they buy a ticket on the secondary market, would the team really catch them coming into the game? It's not like you show an ID when you walk into an arena.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not to derail the thread, but I've always wonder if a ban of a fan actually works, in practice. I don't mean, should he/she be ban, but the enforcement of it. Obviously you can prevent the person from buying season tickets, but if they buy a ticket on the secondary market, would the team really catch them coming into the game? It's not like you show an ID when you walk into an arena.

I would say it's highly likely the names also get reported to the secondary market to prevent the purchase of tickets. I would imagine that the NHL and its teams work with StubHub and whatnot to enforce the bans. Not just ticketmaster/official channels.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I would say it's highly likely the names also get reported to the secondary market to prevent the purchase of tickets. I would imagine that the NHL and its teams work with StubHub and whatnot to enforce the bans. Not just ticketmaster/official channels.

And if someone else buys their ticket?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
And if someone else buys their ticket?

That's really their only option, I guess. Is to have someone else buy tickets. Which then makes it harder to enforce. But then maybe they can flag his cc's and such so that if those get used anywhere in the UC.

Not sure how that all works, honestly. It's an interesting conversation, though.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
been reading many posters opinions on what happen ....... my take and i hope many know i really usually can't hold my pov when maybe i should.

but with that, i am really am surprise and actually extremely happy at how many have condemnation for what happened esp in the name of Fandom.

many thanks for all the positive pov.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
That's really their only option, I guess. Is to have someone else buy tickets. Which then makes it harder to enforce. But then maybe they can flag his cc's and such so that if those get used anywhere in the UC.

Not sure how that all works, honestly. It's an interesting conversation, though.

It always seemed like something that would be really hard to enforce. I think you are right that they can probably stop the buying of the ticket, but ultimately I don't know how they can stop someone from going as a guest of someone else.

Reactions: RayP

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Yeah, we're all angry. I literally had several sleepless nights over this team missing the playoffs a couple weeks ago. It is what it is at this point. *****ing about it and hoping to teach the organization a lesson by not watching/attending games is the wrong attitude to have.

Success does this to franchises. It makes core players cost more to retain. Makes it harder to part ways with players and coaches that have been large parts to a team's success. Makes you get mediocre draft picks every season.

Every successful franchise goes through this. Some can come out of it in relatively good shape (LA, Boston, Tampa as recent examples), while others falter for years. All we can do now is hope that we're closer to the former, rather than the latter.

But *****ing about it on a forum to a bunch of people who are already mad about how things have shaken out this year does nothing to improve the team for the future. You want to help? Write Bowman a letter with your grievances.

and Tampa didn't even make the playoffs last year and it will depend on this years playoffs and what they can sign Kucherov at going forward

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I have a feeling that Rocky and the Hawks will do the right thing aka whatever looks best publicly for the org.

The 4 people are idiots.
Agreed, but in the current culture of everyone having cameras, everyone having a medium for worldwide broadcast, and the spread of stuff like wildfire--I think it's not just on the 'hawks (Rocky/McDonut), but also the NHL to at least not appear to be silently complicit. The UC's action of kicking them the eff out was correct. But I think that Rocky/the 'hawks and the NHL will need to take some public action somehow condemning that. Even if it's merely "symbolic". If they remain hush-hush it could be interpreted as silently consenting to it.

Kinds spit-balling here, but I think there's a possible legal avenue for the 'hawks and the UC--granted I'm no lawyer. I think if the UC/'hawks, etc. has a legal notice that those 4 are persona non grata in the UC, and they inform those four then it shouldn't matter who buys the ticket; it might be possible that they'd be trespassing.

Like, if I owned a pub that hosted live shows every now and then, and I "banned" someone from ever coming in again after they defecated into and around a shotglass (hypothetically), I would talk to my lawyer to try to have some legal remedy for permanently barring them from the property--which might mean a notarized notice sent to them explaining that they are officially barred and if they set foot on the properly I can and will charge them with trespassing (as well as putting up photos of the offender, and the usual). So, even if they bought a ticket to see a live show it wouldn't matter.

Again...spit-balling, I can be wrong.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Greg W going on a witch hunt to figure out if the people bought the tickets from a season ticket holder and who/what will happen to them. Guy is just as ass hat missing the point. Honestly he is just a lesser version of McClure who puts the advanced stats community further behind with his dbagness.

Typical ESPN.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
First of all, what the hell does a youtube video have to do with this? You say it's implied like everyone here is supposed to know what your talking about.What is "it's" supposed to represent in your post?

Secondly, DSP has a right to hold a stick in that situation. He's a hockey player. Comes with the job. Don't go and make him look like the bad guy here.

Third, being drunk is not an acceptable excuse for making racists remarks to a guys face. Handle your ****, or stop drinking. Not hard. Those fans are cowards for running their mouth to him with a plate of glass to protect them.

You trying to turn DSP into the bad guy in this instance is moronic, childish, and yeah, probably a bit racist. Now I don't know what part of HF you come from, but most here on the Hawks side are not all that welcoming to your apparent train of thought and would be doing worlds better if you left your extreme views of a player off our boards. Thanks.
I'm just asking what is he doing? He brought the stick over to the glass when the fans were chanting.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Just watched the game on PVR. Here are a few thoughts:
- Yes Caps were sluggish but we saw an excellent example of how good Hawks can be when they own the puck
- Hawks gap control and tenacity were big factors in this game
- Toews had 3 points I think but his offense isn't great, however, he and his line contained Ovi beautifully. I don't think Ovi had a shot on net, and you can't say that very often
- Strong games by many Hawks
- Hartman, Hino stood out. It was good to see what Hartman can do when he's engaged and sticking to hockey. It's been a while.
- Schmaltz still forcing low percentage passes rather than just getting the puck to the net. I counted at least 6 last night.
- Cat showed his great hands on his goal after a lovely saucer pass by 38. It was probably the only good look he had last night. One can only imagine how he'll do when our new coach puts Kane and Cat on the same line. 40 goals plus, I reckon
- Cat did get smoked a few times. He needs to be wary as the intensity level will amp up down the stretch and he will be targeted.

Thanks Bobby, some great news. Maybe we turn a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->