News Article: Laz: Kaner would make a good GM (Kaner might someday like to work in an FO role)

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Tweet:

Hockey Rumors snippet:

Earlier today, The Athletic’s Mark Lazerus wrote a piece comparing and contrasting the position the Chicago Blackhawks are in as compared to the Nashville Predators. Lazerus advocated that Chicago’s position, in the depths of a full-scale rebuild, was more enviable than the Predators, who have several large contracts on the books for years to come, preventing them from building on it, while the team’s core hasn’t had much playoff success. As compelling as Lazerus’ article was, another interesting element was who he chose to talk to on these thoughts: Blackhawks superstar Patrick Kane.

Lazerus discusses the idea with Kane, stating the winger has “’future general manager’ written all over him.” Kane’s response to that sentiment was rather intriguing as well, telling Lazerus he might be interested in something in the front office down the road, but once retirement comes around, he’d like to focus on being a dad and give his partner, Amanda, a break. That, presumably, is still a ways away for the 34-year-old, who is still playing elite level hockey and is expected to be an expensive asset at this year’s trade deadline, and again on this summer’s free agent market. Should he stick with Chicago and work his way up in their front office, an on-ice legend becoming GM not only wouldn’t be unheard of, but in today’s NHL would put him along some of the best executives in the game, including Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman.

Reactions: Giovi and Mrfenn92

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Not the first time it's been discussed.

But that's at least a decade away from happening.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
What exactly about Kaner's qualities would make him a good GM? Honest question because I don't know.

Dude is a hockey savant. I remember a story from Powers years ago about Kane discussing hockey stats, analytics, etc. with Strome (honestly Strome is another one who would be a great GM or scout in the future.. probably better in the front office than he is as a player). Kane likes to watch other teams play (in season and in the playoffs) on his off time and break down what they are doing in coverage. You can argue for GM, scout, coach, etc. but he would 100% be an asset down the road in some capacity if he decided to go that route. IMO, if it is the GM route, like Yzerman and Sakic, I believe he would thrive.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
From the article, immediately after the “Kane has “future general manager” written all over him,” line:
His seemingly bottomless knowledge of the league, his knack for scouting other players, his understanding of what kind of players separate good teams from great teams, and his almost freakish retention of every play in every game make him a natural in a league where it’s customary for former players to become future GMs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Sounds like Kane realized that he had to stop acting like an immature party boy back in 2015 and fully dive in to his love for hockey. It was really cool to see as a fan. The guy is all in on his love of the game

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
He's a definite rink rat. I don't know if he could ever give up being on the ice. I see him as more of a coach

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
If that useless brainless baldy idiot and ex HF favourite can do no wrong Stan the Man was actually an NHL GM, Kane can easily be a GM and I will assure he would be a great one as his IQ is easily 40 points higher than that pathetic clown.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If that useless brainless baldy idiot and ex HF favourite can do no wrong Stan the Man was actually an NHL GM, Kane can easily be a GM and I will assure he would be a great one as his IQ is easily 40 points higher than that pathetic clown.
Who thought Bowman could do no wrong? When you say things like that, can you name names?

I have a feeling you’re trying to call out a few specific posters. Broad brushing all posters here the way you do is terribly inaccurate.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm not really seeing it. Not that I know Kane personally or anything, but at least outside looking in I don't see anything specific IDing him as a GM in the making.

Then again, I'm also of the opinion that tapping ex-players to be GMs is mostly boneheaded anyway.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Who thought Bowman could do no wrong? When you say things like that, can you name names?

I have a feeling you’re trying to call out a few specific posters. Broad brushing all posters here the way you do is terribly inaccurate.

I’ll give you his two biggest fan choochoo train drivers, BK & chihawks10, I don’t recall if ever they criticized any trade, if you can find those unicorn posts please present them to me, they were the first to call out any harsh reaction to his plethora of atrocious trades over a span of many years. If you want more deer in the headlights takes of others who supported him just pull the Panarin-Saad trade and you will see many more of them, or perhaps all the ones who were actually supporting his 2021 off season plan, I mean it’s not hard to pull out names, there was a big percentage here that loved his trades just as recent as the Seth Jones trade and that summer. The list will be fat and long.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Laz thinks Kane would make a good GM?

Woukdvge draft players who are not interested in checking anyone in the d-zone?

BTW....Kane came in to the season with a career +49 (not great considering how many seasons he has played)...but now at -22 his career +/- drops to +27..maybe by TDL he is underwater for his career in+/- which suggests not much impact at even strength .

So of Kane is GM one day would he be seduced into drafting only Pp impscful players like he has been in his career(but not this season)?

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Interesting that Laz has that view when he's always been anti-rebuild and thinks that the draft is just a crapshoot. I agree with his premise. Teams like the Nashville, Washington, and Vancouver are farther away from being a Cup contender than the Hawks.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Interesting that Laz has that view when he's always been anti-rebuild and thinks that the draft is just a crapshoot. I agree with his premise. Teams like the Nashville, Washington, and Vancouver are farther away from being a Cup contender than the Hawks.
I've heard some analysts say Caps are built for the playoffs. With TB not looking so great, Canes and Panthers ho-hum.... I reckon, we will get a surprise in these playoffs. Just gotta get there first.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
I've heard some analysts say Caps are built for the playoffs. With TB not looking so great, Canes and Panthers ho-hum.... I reckon, we will get a surprise in these playoffs. Just gotta get there first.
The Caps are big but definitely don't measure up with Boston, Carolina, Toronto, or Tampa. Give me the Rangers and Devils over them as well.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The Caps are big but definitely don't measure up with Boston, Carolina, Toronto, or Tampa. Give me the Rangers and Devils over them as well.
The playoffs have a funny way of exposing smaller, less experienced teams. Bruins are definitely a top contender though... probably favourite at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad