Lays NHL affiliated Prospect Ranking

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Strongly disagree with Zadina at #20. He was noticeably better than Chytil at the WJC for the Czech team. I think he is a better prospect than every forward you have ahead of him except Mittelstadt and Svechnikov.

As for non-Wings prospects, I think Kale Clague and Nick Suzuki are pretty underrated at their respective spots.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Draft position and being affiliated with New Jersey really hurts Jeremy Davies in any ranking. Sikura and Gaudette get credit but Davies always left behind. Wouldnt surprise me if he leads NU in points next season.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Chytil at 7 really sticks out like a sore thumb. But I guess everyone is allowed to show some bias. He's about 10-15 sports too high.

I also think Kaut and Bowers for the Avs are far too low and Timmins is too high though other Avs fans will disagree. Bowers is the one who should be top 50 while Timmins and Kaut should be around 75.
He has Pionk in the top 50 as well. Miller at #37 is also extremely high. He is not a better prospect then Juolevi or Hayton.

It's a solid list, but there is bias, which is to be expected.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I like the list as a whole. Not too sure about the ranking, but that's always the case since prospects value is really subjective in most cases.

For exemple Sherbak ahead of Poehling and Mete is a bit surprising as a habs fan.
Hughes at 5 over a bunch of really good players, a good number picked ahead of him a month ago.
Frost seems a bit high too imo, ahead of Tolvanen etc.

I feel like you put more stock into pts in your rankings. Often not looking too deep into the differences in leagues they play in and the team/teamates they play with... their role on the team, etc.

Good work!

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
:laugh:

You can say there's no bias all you want. When Filip Chytil is at #7 it is clear as day to be incorrect, you just cant see your own bias.
Just because i rated Chytil high and ranked the other Rangers lower than they’d usually be right...Chytil has a good argument for that 7 spot.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He has Pionk in the top 50 as well. Miller at #37 is also extremely high. He is not a better prospect then Juolevi or Hayton.

It's a solid list, but there is bias, which is to be expected.
Miller was #15 on my 2018 draft rankings btw if that helps clear up the bias issues. The only one someone can really call bias on is maybe Pionk.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I like the list as a whole. Not too sure about the ranking, but that's always the case since prospects value is really subjective in most cases.

For exemple Sherbak ahead of Poehling and Mete is a bit surprising as a habs fan.
Hughes at 5 over a bunch of really good players, a good number picked ahead of him a month ago.
Frost seems a bit high too imo, ahead of Tolvanen etc.

I feel like you put more stock into pts in your rankings. Often not looking too deep into the differences in leagues they play in and the team/teamates they play with... their role on the team, etc.

Good work!
Nope.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Miller was #15 on my 2018 draft rankings btw if that helps clear up the bias issues. The only one someone can really call bias on is maybe Pionk.
Its the same as my ranking, people just like to whine about their prospects not being high enough, ironically, calling us homers.

Reactions: Lays

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Agreed with most on your list, feel like it’s well done and clear you watch quite a bit of hockey.

One thing that did stand out to me was Bowers (95) vs Tkachuk (18). Playing on the same team, with similar stats, and their age being very close I’m wondering why there is such a big gap?

Reactions: Mrb1p

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Agreed with most on your list, feel like it’s well done and clear you watch quite a bit of hockey.

One thing that did stand out to me was Bowers (95) vs Tkachuk (18). Playing on the same team, with similar stats, and their age being very close I’m wondering why there is such a big gap?
I’m a huge fan of Tkachuk and was never big on Bowers. Tkachuks point totals aren’t completely reflective of his play and what he capable of. Only time will tell but I can’t see Bowers becoming more than a middle 6 C while I see Tkachuk close to his brothers level. I just see Tkachuk having higher upside than Bowers
Are you missing #51, #52? Pretty good list.
Thanks, and yeah I am, I messed up the numbering a little so it’s only 98

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I'm curious to know what you see in Adam Fox that you don't see in Jake Bean that has them that far apart in ranking and in that order.

I think most Canes fans would have them in each others spots in such a ranking.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Fantastic job @Lays
Honestly love the list.

Not going to comment on my teams prospects, beyond saying I find them ranked very fairly.

Curious how guys like Strome and Mete make the list, but Dermott doesn't? Did you have a cut off of sorts?

Love the K'andre Miller ranking. Im super high on him as well.

I'm also high on Fabbro, so I'd bump him up a bit, but I can appreciate the list.

Edit: I will ask one leafs question ;) is rasmus Sandin on your radar at all? Leafs fans are very curious about him. Thanks!

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Fantastic job @Lays
Honestly love the list.

Not going to comment on my teams prospects, beyond saying I find them ranked very fairly.

Curious how guys like Strome and Mete make the list, but Dermott doesn't? Did you have a cut off of sorts?

Love the K'andre Miller ranking. Im super high on him as well.

I'm also high on Fabbro, so I'd bump him up a bit, but I can appreciate the list.
Thanks!
Like I said, I did this for fun so I didn’t bother checking who’s actually a prospect or not and how many games X played. I said earlier that if Dermott was really considered as a prospect I’d have put him pretty high up, Im a fan.

Reactions: my name is Bob

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hughes above Mittelstadt :huh:

Smith above Boqvist :laugh:

Overall, pretty solid list though. And you put some effort into it. But those two puzzle me.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
What about Rasmus Andersson? He's practically NHL ready now and could be a top pairing d-man.

Edit: I'm blind.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Hughes above Mittelstadt :huh:

Smith above Boqvist :laugh:

Overall, pretty solid list though. And you put some effort into it. But those two puzzle me.
I had Hughes 3rd in this draft. I’ve been pumping him up so long, great prospect offensively and defensively. I just like him more

Smith above Boqvist in my rankings as well

FookinPuck

Nov 16, 2017
I'm curious to know what you see in Adam Fox that you don't see in Jake Bean that has them that far apart in ranking and in that order.

I think most Canes fans would have them in each others spots in such a ranking.
As a Canes fan I actually agree with the OP. Chytil that high is cute though

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I feel like Toronto's 1st Round Pick from this year is probably a better prospect than Buffalo's 4th Round Pick from this year

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
As a Canes fan I actually agree with the OP. Chytil that high is cute though
How?
Let me explain my reasoning for Chytil since everyone’s asking.
The dude is a 6’3, ~200 lbs C.
He was 2 weeks away from 2018 eligible, still 18 years old
31 points in 46 AHL games. Leading his team in PPG and he was one of/the youngest player in the AHL
He has every tool to be elite, his skating is very good, his hands are dirty, he has size, he plays a responsible 2 way game, not afraid to go into the corners or crash the net, quick shot, good IQ. He has tons of tools to succeed
At the WJC, he didn’t stand out as much as Necas (even though Chytil still stood out) but that’s only because he just came back from a neck/head injury (forgot which one but he was hit hard) and he clearly got hurt 2-3 more times in the WJC.

How does an 18 year old who led his team in PPG not deserve to be where I put him? Especially with everything I listed.

Edit-he was actually 2nd in PPG. But, Holland (who’s ahead of him) was a mid season trade and they didn’t play on the same line, Chytil carried his own.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How?
Let me explain my reasoning for Chytil since everyone’s asking.
The dude is a 6’3, ~200 lbs C.
He was 2 weeks away from 2018 eligible, still 18 years old
31 points in 46 AHL games. Leading his team in PPG and he was one of/the youngest player in the AHL
He has every tool to be elite, his skating is very good, his hands are dirty, he has size, he plays a responsible 2 way game, not afraid to go into the corners or crash the net, quick shot, good IQ. He has tons of tools to succeed
At the WJC, he didn’t stand out as much as Necas (even though Chytil still stood out) but that’s only because he just came back from a neck/head injury (forgot which one but he was hit hard) and he clearly got hurt 2-3 more times in the WJC.

How does an 18 year old who led his team in PPG not deserve to be where I put him? Especially with everything I listed.

Edit-he was actually 2nd in PPG. But, Holland (who’s ahead of him) was a mid season trade and they didn’t play on the same line, Chytil carried his own.

Chytil is a good, underappreciated prospect. I liked him going back to his draft year.

I think the issue people have is not where he is ranked, but more specifically who you have him ahead of. Having him over Zadina, Wahlstrom, and Tkachuk is... pretty bold. I thought this was a very strong group of wingers this year.

I like his tools as well, but Zadina and Wahlstrom also have a great set of hands and a noticeably better shot. Tkachuk is a damn good playmaker and skater for a guy his size. Those guys arguably boast an even greater set of tools, and while impressive, I am not sure Chytil had the type of +1 season those guys can't duplicate.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Chytil is a good, underappreciated prospect. I liked him going back to his draft year.

I think the issue people have is not where he is ranked, but more specifically who you have him ahead of. Having him over Zadina, Wahlstrom, and Tkachuk is... pretty bold. I thought this was a very strong group of wingers this year.

I like his tools as well, but Zadina and Wahlstrom also have a great set of hands and a noticeably better shot. Tkachuk is a damn good playmaker and skater for a guy his size. Those guys arguably boast an even greater set of tools, and while impressive, I am not sure Chytil had the type of +1 season those guys can't duplicate.
Zadina is not on Chytil’s level. He’s only 2 months younger and he didn’t have an impressive season aside from WJC where he was slightly carried by Necas. Tkachuk is like 2 weeks younger than Chytil as well. You can make arguments for guys like Necas/Kaprizov over Chytil but certainly not the guys you listed

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad