Lays 2019 Final Draft Rankings

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I realized posting new rankings nearly every month was pointless. I’ve pretty much seen all I’ve needed to see and this list took a while to complete. I may add scouting reports for the top 62 and/or a mock draft later on and I’ll bump the thread if I do. Any questions/thoughts/feedback feel free comment

1. Kaapo Kakko-I think he’s developed the most out of any draft eligible. I also prefer his play style to Hughes’. Hughes has more offensive potential though. I just fell in love with Kakko’s game earlier in the year and it’s been him since. Both are as close as can be and bring their own strengths. Wouldn’t bet on either being better than the other
  2. Jack Hughes
  3. Bowen Byram-His playoffs showed me another level to Byram. Possible top 10 defenseman and I’ve enjoyed watching him become more physically engaged.
  4. Alex Turcotte-In the Larkin/ROR/Point mold. Excels around the net and drives play (to the net.) His shot could improve though but his IQ and defensive is the highest/best in the draft class. Easily.
  5. Kirby Dach-Big offensive C. Dach’s skating and shot have improved a lot over the year. Getzlaf potential
  6. Trevor Zegras-Reminds me of Kuznetsov. Best pure passer in the draft class and always seems to know where his teammates are. He’s limited his turnovers over the year as well and has developed a bit of an edge. His shot is one of the more interesting ones in the class and once it gets stronger it’ll be more lethal
  7. Cole Caufield-underrated playmaking ability due to the threat of his shot.
  8. Philipp Broberg-Incredible skater and a great frame to build into. Reminds me of Heiskanen. Defensively he’s already sound and his speed allows him to cheat a little. Is also very good at getting the puck out of his own zone whether that be through skating it out or making a nice pass off the boards he gets the puck out quickly. Can make some questionable decisions with the puck though and I think his teammate utilization could be better. His positioning in the defensive zone is also suspect but his stick checking is top notch. More commitment to defense would really round out Broberg’s game. Great tools to be a #1 defenseman headlined by his shot and dynamic acceleration
  9. Matthew Boldy-Positively affects the game in numerous ways through his elite IQ. Boldy is another guy who I think has progressed beyond imagined through the course of the season. He looked more like a complimentary player early on and I saw red flags in his game but he’s rounded out to be a line driver. Skating has also improved
  10. Vasili Podkolzin-Absolute bull in any zone, always hounding the puck carrier looking for a turnover. Podkolzin has a high effort level along with high end skill-mainly his accurate shot and quick hands. I have some concerns of his teammate utilization, IQ, and playmaking though, he’s a bit too North-South and tends to get tunnel vision. Very safe bet to become an NHLer and potential to be a great one
  11. Philipp Tomasino-Tomasino has developed more than any prospect I’ve seen throughout the season. His East-West game improved and he’s become a line driver. More power play time next year can lead to Tomasino exploding offensively as he has the toolbox to do so. His release is quick and accurate, Tomasino’s a threat to score around the net and from the circles. He was more engaged later in the season, constantly buzzing around looking for scoring opportunities or to get open. His speed is ridiculous as well, Tomasino’s acceleration allows him to fly by defenseman and once he gets stronger he’ll be able to push them off with ease. High potential
  12. Peyton Krebs-dont think his offensive upside is as high as some others think.
  13. Alex Newhook-can work harder and I find his shot and defense slightly overrated. Great offensive tools though. Not sure if he’s a C in the NHL either.
  14. Egor Afanasyev-Can get tunnel vision from time to time and can also disappear for a few shifts. Consistency and effort is up and down but Afanasyev has the tools to become a very good offensive player. His shot is the most underrated in the class, his release is quick and his placement is deceptive. Afanasyev can wire one top shelf in the blink of an eye. Afanasyev can also score by hanging around the net and using his big body to fend off defenseman. Playmaking is also up and down, not sure if he has potential to drive his line but he has the tools to be a great power forward. Skating and hands are very good, Afanasyev can make creative plays and weave through traffic well. Defensive game is also up and down, depends on his effort for the shift.
  15. Moritz Seider-Might be the best defensively in his class. Seider is a big, smooth skating RHD who can play physical and move the puck. Pretty much every team’s need.
  16. Victor Soderstrom-Not sure about his offensive ability translating well but he’s a smart, smooth skating defenseman. His shot is accurate but he needs to add power to it. Not much creativity but he can skate the puck well and instill a sense of comfort almost when he has the puck. Soderstrom very rarely makes mistakes and is solid positionally. Needs to bulk up though, his defense is very good but he often gets outmuscled. Not a big concern though. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t a top 4 D. Reminds me of Vatanen
  17. Thomas Harley-Harley is a prospect I’m torn on. He has great tools in his 6’3 frame such as his skating and accurate shot but his IQ concerns me. Defensively, Harley is great when it seems like he wants to be. His stick checking is good and he steps up at the line which I love in a defenseman. Positionally though, he gets caught far too often, either making a bad pinch or not having any urgency to his game. Offensively he can skate with the puck and exit the zone but he lacks creativity. Can also make some head scratching turnovers. Harley has potential to be a great defenseman but he needs to work on his effort and dependability. Can look like a future top pairing defenseman one game and then I see massive red flags the next. Probably the hardest prospect to rank in the first round for me
  18. Dylan Cozens-Great shot, size, and skating. Unfortunately that’s all I really see in Cozens. His effort changes like the weather and his defensive game can improve. He gets tunnel vision often and his passing can be awful at times. The puck dies on Cozens stick far too often. At the junior level, his shot is incredible and deceptive. Don’t know how it’ll translate to the NHL though, he needs a quicker release. I don’t think he’s a quick thinker and he struggles in small spaces. Open ice is where he shines, usually by using his large frame to shield off attackers, again, not sure how it’ll translate to the NHL against much more physically developed men. I think his future is at the wing, in a complimentary role to a good playmaker. Similar to Charlie Coyle
  19. Arthur Kaliyev-underrated playmaker. I think his lack of effort is also overblown. He’s an opportunistic player who gets in the right spots to score. Played a lot of PK minutes as well and in my viewings, looked good there.
  20. Cam York-I think his offensive game definitely benefits from his team. Loses way too many puck battles as well. However offensively, York is a great skating defenseman who sees the ice well and his transition game is excellent. Very adept at moving the puck and I like that he showed a physical side later on in the year. I think positionally he’s very sound as well and his turnovers/costly pinches were more limited as the season went on.
  21. Daniil Misyul-6’3 176 lbs defenseman who can weave through forecheckers like it’s nothing. I wasn’t a fan of his MHL play but his KHL playoffs impressed me a ton. Misyul is a bit of a hot head and when he’s on, he’s a scary defenseman. His crease-clearing abilities are the best in the class. He was rag dolling KHLers in front of his net, making sure his goalie can see the puck. He’s aggressive defensively, he can lay down big hits and he stands up at his own line, giving the opponent little space to work around him and usually drives them to the boards. Him PKing in a KHL elimination game also stood out. Offensively, he has a big shot and he’s active in getting open and moving the puck around well. When Misyul bulks up, he has potential to be a bull of a defenseman. IQ can improve but I see top pairing upside. I almost put him in at 20 over York but I’m not risking that blowing up
  22. Pavel Dorofeyev-Offensively gifted RW that reminds me of Pavel Buchnevich. Effort/defensive game can improve but he’s lethal in the offensive zone as a threat to shoot or make a play. His release is quick and accurate and he’s creative along the wall. Skating needs to be a bit more dynamic as well. High upside if he work on his flaws
  23. Ville Heinola-Needs to strengthen everything really. His shot, skating, and his body. Heinola is a poised, smooth-skating defenseman that can skate well but could look to improve his dynamic ability. Defensively, Heinola is very well composed. Rare to see him caught out of position or make a mistake. He can be outmuscled easily though and I think his urgency can improve.
  24. Tobias Bjornfot-Sweden’s u18 captain showed why he was named captain. I think Bjornfot impressed me the most at the u18s and showed me some upside that I haven’t seen before. Bjornfot is a fine skating two way defenseman. While he’s more defensively oriented, over the year he seemed to get more and more comfortable with the puck on his stick. His transition ability is incredible, Bjornfot is a smart player who I’d trust to lead a breakout. While he’s not flashy, he makes safer plays that go unnoticed. Everything I read about Bjornfot seems to indicate he’s a leader and his on ice performance backs it up, Bjornfot puts in effort defensively and can play a physical game at times though it’s not his strong suit. All around defensively, Bjornfot has all the qualities to be a shutdown defenseman. His offense has improved over the year but he needs to improve his shot and creativity. With his skating he’s showed offensive flashes, but he can be “too safe” at times. Top pairing potential here
  25. Lassi Thomson-I recently re-evaluated Thomson and I believe his tools can make him into a quality offensive defenseman. I focused too much on his defensive game which caused me to sour on Thomson but he brings some intriguing tools to work with. He’s a bit of an awkward skater but he’s fast, and can weave through opposition with ease-often going coast to coast. He’s a very calm player as well and can slow down the play with the puck on his stick. When he’s in the offensive zone, he’s always a threat to score. His shot is a rocket and it can see it’s way through defenses and goalies, probably the best among defenseman in the draft class.
  26. Patrik Puistola-Very raw prospect but has the tools to be an impact powerforward. His hands are among the best in the class and his release is quick. Can score in a variety of ways. Quality of competition questions were erased at the u18s. Needs to improve his consistency and his teammate utilization though. He has the tendency to try and deke through teams on his own which doesn’t always work, especially not against NHL talent. He’s very shifty as well but his speed needs to improve. Puistola has some red flags to his game but if he hits his potential he can potentially be a top line forward with his offensive tools.
  27. Vladislav Kolyachonok-Hard worker and a character guy. Defensive game is among the best in the class, Kolyachonok puts in effort to make sure he defends every chance against. Very poised defenseman with a good frame to go with smooth-skating. Not sure how high his offensive potential is but I can see him becoming a very steady 2nd pairing defenseman. Doesn’t stand out in any way but is very well rounded.
  28. Raphael Lavoie-Needs to be a bit more involved on a shift-to-shift basis but Lavoie has all the tools to become a top 6 power forward in the NHL. His shot is his best attribute as Lavoie gets it off very quickly and can score from just about anywhere inside the blue line. His hands, speed, and size make him tough to contain when he’s flying down the wing driving to the net. If he adds more physicality and improves his overall game he can end up a better Josh Anderson. His playmaking abilities/creativity needs to improve though. More of a complimentary winger and I’m not sure I see high end upside.
  29. Matthew Robertson-6’4 201 lbs. Robertson is a nearly physically developed defensive defenseman. While Robertson isn’t as impressive offensively as some of the other first round defenseman his defensive play, size, and good skating make him a safe bet to be an NHL defenseman. Robertson’s skating coupled with his gap control and long reach makes him a scary defenseman to go up against. Needs to work on lateral movement as he can get beat wide but that may be the weakest part of his defensive game. Shows flashes of offensive potential by rushing through the neutral zone only to make the safe pass.
  30. Samuel Poulin-Samuel Poulin is a big, complete power winger. He’s a bit stiff with the puck and he could improve his puck control/hands but he’s someone who’ll be valuable come playoff time. Poulin gets his shot off quickly and buzzes around the net where he scores most of his goals, a versatile scorer by using his quick hands in tight to maneuver or using his body to park himself in the crease. His backhand in tight is underrated as a shot selection. Poulin has also showed flashes of playmaking ability over the course of the year which leads me to believe he has higher upside than I thought earlier in the year. Poulin is a hard worker as well as a leader. He leads by example every shift battling for the puck and giving maximum effort. If he doesn’t reach his potential, he’s a safe bet to be a quality bottom sixer
  31. Ryder Donovan-Gives me Alex Tuch vibes. Donovan is an incredibly quick and athletic 6’4 RW. He was completely dominant in the playoffs and was creating chances every time he stepped on the ice, I get people have question marks about the league he plays in but don’t let that make you over look him. Donovan has quick hands and a good offensive skill set. Shows potential to be a line driver. His USHL games weren’t great but to be fair he didn’t get quality minutes. I think Wisconsin will be a good program for him and getting a chance to play with top prospects Turcotte, Caufield, Holloway, and Miller will only allow him to shine more.
  32. Ilya Nikolayev-Nikolayev reminds me of Sidney Crosby in the sense that he’s a grinding playmaker. Nikolayev is a cerebral center who creates opportunities around the net and has a very complete game overall, defensively he back checks hard and he creates a lot of turnovers. Great puck protection as well. Showed flashes of a high upside throughout the year but he’s mostly a safer prospect. Needs to add power to his accurate shot but physically, he’s already strong on his skates and is good at shielding the puck. While he has a great all around game, I’d like to see him be more involved in the play. Mainly driving his own line, Nikolayev has the tendency to sometimes disappear or play passenger on his line and I’m sure once/if his speed improves he’ll only be more dynamic. I also like that he’s a big fan of Bergeron and models his game after him.
  33. Jamieson Rees-Bulldog of a forward that gives 100% nearly every shift. If not for the injury, he’d be higher ranked by the consensus. Rees has quick hands and a quick release, he’s always buzzing around in the offensive zone and he’s a monster on the forecheck, always wreaking havoc and causing turnovers. He’s also very tough to knock off the puck down low and can spin off defenseman with ease. High upside and a low floor, could be more offensively gifted Anthony Cirelli. A player who I’m sure will break out once given the opportunity to next year
  34. Bobby Brink-Great offensive potential but needs to work on skating (mainly his acceleration) and lacks size. While he has the upside, I’ve never been a fan due to his play away from the puck and some of the disadvantages I listed prior. Don’t think he can be an impact 1st liner and if he ends up as a second line winger, his skill set and overall game wouldn’t be valuable enough for me to consider drafting him. He’s early 2nd round due to his upside though.
  35. Brett Leason-I think he’s a guaranteed NHLer. Don’t think he has top 6 upside and for that reason he’s outside my first round. Could be a valuable bottom sixer or a middle sixer but there are options with better potential/qualities. His skating has improved over the year as well but his offensive production fell off a bit. I liked his playoffs but not his play at the WJC.
  36. Ryan Suzuki-Another prospect with top 6 potential but major flaws. Suzuki has a high IQ and is among the best passers in the class but those qualities are the only ones I’m a fan of. His effort level can vary and he needs to be more involved in the play. He’s a player I can see struggling at the NHL level. Lacks separation speed as well. I wasn’t a fan of his brother either in 2017 but he’s proven me wrong, though to be fair I wasn’t as involved in the 2017 class and had only seen Nick play once. I’ve seen Ryan plenty of times this season and I haven’t seen any major improvement in his game to indicate a breakout similar to Nick’s.
  37. Ryan Johnson-Very smooth skating two way defenseman. Johnson doesn’t wow you but he makes very smart plays with the puck. He lacks a standout ability aside from his skating and I don’t think his offensive potential is high enough to warrant a 1st round selection but Johnson has the upside to be quality middle pairing defenseman. He’s someone who slowly grew on me throughout the year and also a player who I think has made massive strides in his game throughout the year. Great in transition, he’s not the type to throw it off the glass but instead he looks for opportunities to make something happen. Defensively, Johnson has a good stick and is responsible positionally, his skating also helps in the back check. Can get beat often in puck battles though and can get outmuscled often. Needs to bulk up.
  38. Jakob Pelletier-Hard working undersized playmaker. I don’t think his offensive upside is as high as some think. Pelletier screams more of middle 6/2nd line to me rather than 1st line. I don’t think his creativity is there and his shot needs to add power. Defensive and effort is there though, Pelletier plays an almost pesty game at times drawing some comparisons to Marchand. I think their play styles are similar but Pelletier isn’t as skilled or even as pesty as Marchand. I think his game is also too North-South. High IQ though
  39. Nils Hoglander-Mostly the same as Pelletier just not as good. Hoglander is another undersized hard working playmaker. His shot is accurate and his hands are incredible but offensively he can have tunnel vision, I’d like to see him utilize his teammates a bit more. Hoglander is also already physically developed and he has a strong handle on the puck, but this makes me think there isn’t as much room for improvement. And while he’s flashy in the SHL, I’m not sure how his offense will translate. I think he has middle 6/top 6 potential as a complimentary winger due to his effort level and skill.
  40. Brayden Tracey-Opportunistic winger who surprised me at the u18. I though his WHL play benefitted from playing with Almeida and Langan but I was wrong, near the end of the year he played more without them and was still putting up points. Tracey is great on the power play as a bumper due to his high offensive IQ. While he may not have a great skill set his anticipation around the net allows him to score goals in tight and he can also snipe one from far out, though his release and power could improve. Tracey is more of a complimentary option though, he cannot drive his own line and his creativity/playmaking are lacking. I think he’s a bad passer honestly. Could be a complimentary top 6 winger.
  41. Robert Mastrosimone-Mastrosimone is a prospect that impacts the play in all areas of the game. Defensively he’s smart and puts in the effort to backcheck and offensively he has a great skill set. Mastrosimone’s shot may be his best asset, it’s a powerful shot off a quick release. He can also score by positioning himself around net. His playmaking and overall creativity could improve. I’d like to see him add some separation speed as well as bulking up. Potential to be a top 6 winger
  42. Connor McMichael-Not sure I see top 6 upside but instead a great 3rd liner. I don’t know if he can stick at C either. McMichael plays an opportunistic North-South game and scores a lot off the rush or in front of the net. He’s dangerous off the rush, McMichael has a sick release on his shot and is a good net front presence. Can drive the puck to the net and create plays from there. Not sure his net front presence ability can translate though, he lacks physicality and aggressiveness in my opinion. Can also get tunnel vision which limits his playmaking. His playoffs didn’t impress me at all either and his consistency can vary, though he hadn’t gone more than 2 games without a point for London this season.
  43. Yegor Spiridonov-Big and strong two-way RHC. Spiridonov possesses 2 important qualities that everyone wants in a C. His IQ is high and his 2 way game is far above average. Spiridonov’s skating could stand to improve, mainly his acceleration, but he’s someone that can get by without it due to his smarts and anticipation. Don’t think his offensive upside is higher than a solid 2C as well, I think he lacks the creativity and playmaking. Puts in effort every shift though and is very sneaky at takeaways, plays a harder game style which helps in the corners with puck battles. Potential to be a good middle sixer though.
  44. Nicholas Robertson-Probably the hardest prospect to rank for me, Robertson is a flashy undersized winger with a lightning quick release. His shot is among the best in the draft class and I think his release is top 3. Great agility and skill set, Robertson is one of the most fun players to watch in the draft class. While his stats aren’t impressive for the type of player he is, I think he can have a big breakout next year. I question how his game will translate though.
  45. Samuel Bolduc-Bolduc is a 6’4 physically developed defenseman. Bolduc excels in the defensive zone with his active stick and physicality. Bolduc is also a good skater for his size and occasionally has showed untapped upside with his puck rushes but he lacks the creativity and offensive ability to be a big point producer. His skating and defensive qualities make him excellent on the back check and he’s very difficult to beat 1 on 1. Bolduc’s main problem though seems to be his IQ or overall awareness, he seems to think the game slower and it shows when there is sustained offensive pressure. Bolduc can often lose his man. Has upside to be a modern defensive defenseman though.
  46. John Beecher-Big and speedy center. Beecher always gives effort out on the ice and I’ve noticed his physicality has come a long way from earlier in the year, playing a pest like game now. While I think he’s improved a lot over the year, he’s still in my 2nd round because I don’t see the offensive upside to become more than a 3rd liner. He has a very North-South game and his offensive tools are average, though to be fair he wasn’t used in an offensive role this season. Very good chance he’s in the NHL though I’d take some risks before I drafted him.
  47. Kaedan Korczak-6’2 RHD. Korczak is a defenseman that excels in the defensive zone. He’s an aggressive defender, often using his physicality to knock defenders off the puck. His stick is also active at creating turnovers and positionally, Korczak is aware of what’s going on around him. He can get beat off the rush but usually his gap control and stick checking abilities help him recover. Not someone with high upside however. His defensive play combined with Thomson’s dynamic offensive ability made for an incredible pairing when the two were put together and I expect Korczak to be in a similar role if he makes it to the NHL. Not someone who will create offense or lead the breakout, but someone who’s responsible enough to cover for the guys that do. Very smart and poised defenseman but I’d like to see him involved in the offense more.
  48. Justin Bergeron-While he may have gone undrafted last year, Bergeron has climbed up the ranks this year enough to possibly be a 3rd/4th rounder and to end up 46th on my list. He was one of the youngest players eligible last year as well. Bergeron finished 3rd in QMJHL defenseman scoring all while being responsible defensively. His playoffs were even more impressive, where he added 20 points in 19 games. Bergeron is a smooth skating defenseman with a ton of poise, a defenseman that can be relied upon and that can play the PP. Bergeron’s strengths are his skating and thinking. He’s a very smart defenseman and one that often led the breakout for Rouyn-Noranda. Defensively, while his positioning is usually solid, I’d like to see him become more aggressive. His game is all about being calm and poised but I’d like to see him be a bit more physical and in the corners more.
  49. Nathan Legare-Legare is a 6’1 all around powerforward who had a fantastic season for Baie-Comeau this season. He put up 45 goals in 68 contests, 87 points in total. His stats may indicate an offensive player with high potential, but Legare is a safer prospect who’s ceiling has a question mark due to his skating and playmaking. I think his assists are very misleading, Legare isn’t someone who creates offense, he’s a finisher. Whether that be in front of the net or wiring one from the top of the circles, Legare knows how to score and shoots at nearly every opportunity he gets (I’d really like to see him pass more.) His all around game is adept as well, mainly his defensive play. Legare’s overall game and skill set lead me to believe he’s more bottom 6 than top 6.
  50. Samuel Fagemo-Fagemo went undrafted last year but has made a case to go in the top 2 rounds this year with his performance at Frolunda. Fagemo is a sniper with quick hands and good skating. His stats are a bit misleading due to him playing a lot with SHL leading scorer, Ryan Lasch. Don’t know if he has top 6 potential and I don’t think his skill set translates to bottom sixer. He can maybe end up a solid middle 6 winger in the right conditions, I’ve soured on him slightly over the year.
  51. Maxim Cajkovic-Cajkovic is a prospect that had high expectations coming into the year and he didn’t exactly deliver on them. The Slovak forward disappointed some in his regular season play with the Sea Dogs, but to be fair, his team wasn’t exactly the most offensively talented. Cajkovic is a player with solid upside due to his tools. His shot is a rocket, and his goal scoring arsenal is impressive. He can score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone and can accurately place slap shots top corner. Needs a bit of space to get it off, but it’s hard and accurate. Cajkovic also plays with edge, he’s typically involved in scrums and has a pest-like side to him. Very speedy with quick hands as well. His lack of a high IQ is apparent when watching Cajkovic though, he’s a hot head and has the tendency to make dumb plays or take dumb penalties. I’d like to see a more East-West game from him as well, a majority of his points are off the rush. Could be a really valuable complimentary winger if his IQ improves.
  52. Albin Grewe-Low IQ but high skill and effort level. Grewe is similar to Cajkovic in some ways. Grewe’s game is a pesty playmaker, his hands are above average and his puck protection is very good. Can be hot headed and take/make dumb penalties/plays. Very physical. Not sure how high his offensive potential is but he’s someone else who I’ve soured on a bit. Potential to be a good 3rd liner who’s valuable in the playoffs though. He’s very aggressive on the forecheck and can give defenders a tough time. On the puck though he has tunnel vision and may try to do too much himself.
  53. Roman Bychkov-Skinny 5’11 Russian defenseman who’s very poised with the puck. His fluid skating is probably his best asset and he uses it to lead the rush and escape from oncoming forecheckers. Defensively, Bychkov can get overpowered but his gap control and skating allow him to be aware positionally. Shot is weak but accurate. High IQ player but I’d like to see him against better competition.
  54. Mikko Kokkonen-He seems to have developed a bit early. Kokkonen was a hyped prospect and entered Liiga at a very young age. Was once a top 5 prospect for this draft class but hasn’t made any big strides since. Speaking of strides, Kokkonen’s main weakness is his skating. Not in one particular area, but his skating as a whole needs to improve. While his stats may seem impressive, he doesn’t possess the offensive ability to be a big point producer. Defensively, his stick seems a bit slow at reacting and I’ve seen him get beat wide numerous times. Positionally he’s mostly fine. I like Kokkonen’s shot as well as his breakout passing. Don’t think there’s much upside here though.
  55. Mattias Maccelli-Highly skilled Finnish forward with some red flags. Finished 3rd in USHL scoring this season. His upside is high, Maccelli has a wicked shot and his hands are among the best in the class. His upside is what makes me think he’s worthy of a late 2nd. His skating is average though and he may struggle more once the level of competition increases and the space decreases. Maccelli has a tendency of doing too much at times and maybe not utilizing his teammates in the best way. Can disappear at times. If he works on his flaws he can be a gem.
  56. Cole Moberg-6’3 RHD. Moberg is an aggressive defenseman who uses his size adequately. His skating is very fluid as well. He’s a defenseman that steps up at the line rather than allowing the opposition into the zone, if he’s beat wide, he can use his skating and long reach to recover. He can be too aggressive sometimes, causing him to falter positionally. Offensively, his potential is untapped. Hard shot that needs improvement in accuracy but a good first pass.
  57. Vladislav Firstov-Highly skilled Russian sniper who played in the USHL this season. Has quietly climbed up rankings due to his offensive performance with 58 points in 62 games. His outstanding trait is his deceptive shot, which is usually led by a quick release. His skating and hands are both far above average. As of now he’s top 6 or bust, needs to round out the rest of his game and his effort level can vary. High potential here.
  58. Ethan Keppen-Big powerforward at 6’2 212 lbs. Played on a bad Flint squad this season putting up 59 points in 68 games, didn’t play much with Dellandrea either. While he can benefit from his size at times, Keppen plays a heavy game style and leads his team on the ice with his playstyle. He’s not afraid to get into the corners, in fact he actually loves to. High effort level and can impact the game in any area. A quick release as well and excels around the net. Skating needs work though
  59. Jack LaCombe-I’ve seen the least amount of LaCombe out of any prospect in my top 75. With just 2 viewings I saw an elite skating defenseman who can move the puck very well. Positionally, he could improve but he’s aggressive defensively and good with his stick. LaCombe’s positional issues may be due to him recently converting to defense. Hit a growth spurt this season which saw him grow an inch and 15 lbs. High potential.
  60. Artemi Knyazev-Similar to Kokkonen, Knyazev was a highly touted defenseman for this draft class that hasn’t exactly met expectations. He’s a dynamic skater though who can shift through the opposition with his skating and hands at a high level. Knyazev is a more offensively-oriented defenseman who’s quick release can beat goalies clean from far out. He can get outworked and outmuscled defensively though, I’d like to see him commit to defense a bit more. While he’s good positionally, his awareness in the defensive zone could stand to improve. High potential
  61. Zac Jones-USHL rookie of the year. Jones is a two way defenseman with outstanding skating ability. Jones is a prospect who I think developed a lot this season alongside teammate Ronnie Attard. That pairing pretty much dominated whenever it was on. Later on in the year he started to show more offensive flashes and puck rushing ability weaving through forecheckers. He gets the puck out quickly but that can hurt him sometimes. Defensively he is responsible. Could improve his pinches though his elite skating ability and being paired with Attard allows him to cheat.
  62. Antti Tuomisto-6’4.5 RHD who is offensively oriented. His skating could improve though it’s not an issue at his size. Tuomisto is a defenseman with good tools that can get drafted much higher than expected. Tuomisto’s main form of creating offense comes from his powerful shot that he can also get through to the net. He’s a very poised defenseman that can run a PP. Defensively, his urgency needs work and positionally, he needs to improve. His size allows him to knock players off the puck with ease though.
  63. Kim Nousiainen-Very fluid undersized Finnish defenseman standing at 5’9. His skating is incredible, specifically his edge work. Could add more high end speed though. Nousiainen doesn’t let his size be a disadvantage. His gap control and stick checking are exceptional but like all undersized defenseman, he can get easily outmuscled in his own zone. His transition game is also far above average, using his skating to exit the zone and lead the breakout. His shot is a muffin though and he doesn’t have high offensive creativity.
  64. Alex Beaucage-If his skating were better he’d be a consensus early 2nd rounder. But it’s not, which is why he’s at 64 on my list. Beaucage is a big RW with one of the best shots in the class, which has power, accuracy, and a very quick release. His passing is also underrated though his playmaking can improve. Beaucage isn’t going to be the offensive catalyst on his line but he can make good plays off the puck that are valuable to his teammates. His two way game is sound and he plays a physical game. Can get tunnel vision
  65. Alex Vlasic-6’6 lanky defenseman with capable skating. Vlasic is an inconsistent defenseman with high potential as a shutdown D, much like his cousin, Marc-Edouard Vlasic. His long reach and size allows him to bully players at a lower level though he needs to add strength. Also doesn’t handle the puck like a grenade like most towering defenseman and has shown flashes of breakout ability.
  66. Rhett Pitlick-His size may be a problem (5’9 161 lbs) but Pitlick is an incredibly quick forward with a high motor. His best asset may possibly be his shot where he shows off a quick release followed by top notch precision. I’ve only had 2 viewings.
  67. Ethan Phillips-Highly competitive undersized RHS winger. Ethan Phillips is a 5’9 , 146 lbs playmaker who’ll continue on to BU next season. Obviously he needs to bulk up, a lot. While his stats may not be the most impressive for his size, he didn’t play on an offensively gifted team. Phillips has great offensive instincts coupled with elite skating ability. Phillips isn’t just another small offensive player though, his compete level is high and he’s regularly seen battling for pucks in the corners. When he bulks up I expect him to make even more of an impact every shift.
  68. Adam Beckman-The lanky 6’1 center/LW slowly rose over the season as he went on to put up 62 points in 68 games for Spokane. Beckman plays a high IQ game and creates his offense through his goal scoring abilities, which was evident with Spokane as he put up 32 goals for them in 68 games. His goal scoring mainly comes from being around the net but his shot is also accurate. Beckman is well rounded but doesn’t really have a standout skill which keeps him from my 2nd round.
  69. Jayden Struble-His skating is ridiculously good. Struble has quietly emerged as a sleeper pick with high potential. His IQ and defensive play could use work but offensively he’s got the full package aside from his weaker shot. While Struble has red flags, he’s a prospect worth taking a risk on. Even in the 2nd round.
  70. Matvei Guskov-6’1 LW/C for the London Knights, putting up 30 points in 59 games. While I expected a bit more offensively from Guskov, his stats don’t do him justice. He was buried on a deep London Knights squad and I’m sure he would’ve had much more points if he had top 6 minutes/PP time. High IQ/character player. Guskov doesn’t stand out when watching him but he does everything right, though nothing exceptional.
  71. Ronnie Attard-Teammate (and mostly linemate) of Zac Jones, Ronnie Attard is a 20 year old USHL defenseman that caught the eyes of scouts this season with his play. Standing at 6’3 203 lbs, Attard benefitted from his age and size a bit but he improved massively from last season. Attard put up 30 goals and 64 points in 48 USHL games this season, running away with the USHL defenseman of the year award. His skating and shot are prominent, translatable qualities. His defense was exceptional though his positioning needs work. It is hard to evaluate 20 year olds in USHL competition though.
  72. Simon Holmstrom-Unfortunate season for Holmstrom who was once a potential top 20 pick for this class. The often injured winger didn’t get a chance to really raise his stock this season was he was remarkable at the u18s. Holmstrom can either be a playmaker or a sniper, using his skating and stick handling to create offense. He has a quick release on his shot as well though he can add power to it. Not sure what his NHL potential is though which is why he’s at 72 for me. A good risk to take anywhere outside of the first round though.
  73. Antti Saarela-Younger brother of Aleksi Saarela, former 2nd rounder who’s doing well in the AHL. Put up 10 points in 24 Liiga matches. Plays similar to his brother as well, Saarela is a good skater with a low center of gravity, allowing him to protect pucks well. He could add some more acceleration to make himself more dynamic. He’s a complimentary offensive forward who can be a playmaker or a goal scorer. Not a fan of his IQ though and I’m unsure of his role at the NHL level
  74. Nikita Alexandrov-German/Russian 6’1 all around C. I expected him to show a bit more offense this season but his defensive game and puck protection bump him to 74 for me. Potential to be a valuable bottom sixer. High IQ at both sides of the ice and a willingness to battle hard for pucks. I’d like to see him drive his line more and create for his teammates. Until then, don’t think he has upside to be top 6 or even middle 6.
  75. Michal Teply-Disappointing year for Teply, who I once had on the brink of my first round. Teply is a big RHS Czech goal scorer who makes a living around the net with his good anticipation and positioning. His shot has power but it lacks a quick release. He has shown willingness to get to the dirty areas as well. Teply lacks dynamic ability though, mainly due to his skating ability (or lack of.)
  76. Henri Thrun
  77. Ryan Siedem
  78. Kristian Tanus
  79. Elmer Soderblom
  80. Joe Carroll
  81. John Farinacci
  82. Dmitri Sheshin
  83. Semyon Chistyakov
  84. Anttoni Honka
  85. Nikola Pasic
  86. Daniil Gutik
  87. Nolan Foote
  88. Simon Lundmark
  89. Tuukka Tieksola
  90. Valeri Orekhov
  91. Oleg Zaitsev
  92. Jack Malone
  93. Santeria Hatakka
  94. Ben Brinkman
  95. Drew Helleson
  96. Mattias Norlinder
  97. Henry Rybinski
  98. Sasha Mutala
  99. Leevi Aaltonen
  100. Keean Washkurak
  101. Aaron Huglen
  102. Matthew Steinburg
  103. Bryce Brodzinski
  104. Case McCarthy
  105. Patrick Moynihan
  106. Graeme Clark
  107. Martin Hugo Has
  108. Blake Murray
  109. Lucas Feuk
  110. Kalle Loponen
  111. Henri Nikkanen
  112. Albert Johansson
  113. Layton Ahac
  114. Shane Pinto
  115. Cole Schwindt
  116. Quinn Schmiemann
  117. Nicholas Porco
  118. Dillon Hamaliuk
  119. Kirill Slepets
  120. Joonas Oden
  121. Max Crozier
  122. Lukas Rousek
  123. Liam Ross
  124. Trevor Janicke
  125. Michael Vukojevic
  126. Luke Toporowski
  127. Arseni Gritsyuk
  128. Daniil Ogirchuk
  129. Max Guenette
  130. Josh Nodler
  131. Braden Doyle
  132. Ondrej Psenicka
  133. Iaroslav Likhachev
  134. Mitchell Brewer
  135. Arvid Costmar
  136. Gianni Fairbrother
  137. Billy Constantinou
  138. Marshall Warren
  139. Valentin Nussbaumer
  140. Harrison Blaisdell
  141. Mikhail Abramov
  142. Alexander Darin
  143. Garrett Pinoniemi
  144. Maxim Shabanov
  145. Cody Morgan
  146. Yegor Serdyuk
  147. Judd Caulfield
  148. Vladislav Mikhailov
  149. Alex Campbell
  150. Maxim Denezhkin
  151. Ludvig Hedstrom
  152. Matus Hlavac
  153. Kirill Tyutyayev
  154. Marcus Kallionkieli
  155. Petr Cajka
  156. Brady Meyer
  157. Jake Lee
  158. Karl Henriksson
  159. Mathieu Bizier
  160. Xavier Simoneau
  161. Ilya Mironov
  162. Adam Edstrom
  163. Alexei Protas
  164. Brett Budgell
  165. Carter Berger
  166. Reece Newkirk
  167. Jordan Spence
  168. Juuso Parssinen
  169. Nikita Rtischev
  170. Brayden Pachal
  171. Jeremie Bucheler
  172. Logan Barlage
  173. Anthony Romano
  174. Cole MacKay
  175. Andrei Pribylskiy
  176. Matias Mantikivi
  177. Samuel Sjolund
  178. Janis Moser
  179. Albin Sundsvik
  180. Christopher Merisier-Ortiz
  181. Grant Silianoff

Last edited:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Scouting report on Ryder Donovan? What made you place him at the end of the 1st round?

Towering forward with excellent speed who can play a variety of roles and is both likable and coach able. Donovan is the top draft prospect among American high schoolers and for good reason — he’s as good a finisher and he is a set-up man. Although he doesn’t play a bruising, menacing style, Donovan’s explosiveness when coupled with his size surely must create an intimidating sight for opponents. He plays on the top line and top power-play unit, and his vision and finishing ability helps him do a lot of damage close to the goal. Donovan has incredibly soft hands and he cleanly handles most passes he receives in full flight. He also can drop down a gear and slow things down, only to stutter step or change directions once he sees a defender leaning the wrong way. Donovan is very intelligent and anticipates extremely well, so his penchant for staying on the periphery and not engaging in every puck battle serves to his advantage since it ends up on his stick regardless.

Donovan’s shot is slightly above average and he seems to favor the wrist shot, but he own an excellent backhander and can roof the puck from in tight. He doesn’t shoot off the pass as much as he should, but he’s calculated with his decisions and will stickhandle or fake his way closer to the goal. Donovan can manage the puck effectively in all three zones and be counted to on to support his defenders and take the puck across center on his own. He pays attention to his side of center and is fast enough to fill gaps, but you wouldn’t classify him as a two-way forward. Donovan puts forth a consistent effort every shift and has all the makings of an elite power forward at the next level. He’s committed to play college hockey for North Dakota.

First I'd heard of him, to be honest.

Reactions: Carl33

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Cozens at #19 ... YIKES! I hope Stan picks Byram and if not Byram - then Turcotte, but I thought Cozens was at least in the conversation for the #3 pick.

Reactions: Dominance

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I would swap Krebs and Cozens, but I really like your overall list. Especialy the frst round. I suspect a couple of teams have Boldy and Broberg in the range you have them in.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
This is awesome - thanks for posting.

It appears there are a handful of guys missing (Rizzo, Koster, Guskov, Williams, Okhotyuk, Fensore, etc). Are we to assume these were purposeful omissions...or just guys not rated?

Also, since there are no goalies....would be interested in where you'd slot your top 2 among this list.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Scouting report on Ryder Donovan? What made you place him at the end of the 1st round?
@Howie Hodge covered Donovan pretty well but I see some Alex Tuch in him. His playoffs made me really take notice of him and I think he gets underrated because of the league he’s in. Donovan has high upside and the tools to reach it
Cozens is out of my top 10 but 19! That’s the furthest I’ve seen
Cozens at #19 ... YIKES! I hope Stan picks Byram and if not Byram - then Turcotte, but I thought Cozens was at least in the conversation for the #3 pick.
I think Cozens is very raw but his offensive tools get overrated and he has the tendency to disappear for stretches. He has a great shot at the junior level but I think he doesn’t get it off fast enough for it to be a weapon at the NHL level. I see the puck die on his stick a lot as well and he struggles in tight spaces. He also lacks the creativity to be a high end center and his passing is pretty awful. He can skate around with the puck using his body to shield it but he doesn’t really do much with it. Can’t see him being a line driver in the NHL.
Krebs seems too low at #13 as well, but if every ranking was the same there wouldn't be much to discuss.
Krebs’ all around game is a bit overrated and I don’t think his upside is that high. Likely a good top 6 winger though
This is awesome - thanks for posting.

It appears there are a handful of guys missing (Rizzo, Koster, Guskov, Williams, Okhotyuk, Fensore, etc). Are we to assume these were purposeful omissions...or just guys not rated?

Also, since there are no goalies....would be interested in where you'd slot your top 2 among this list.
Guskov is at 71. The others I don’t consider to have NHL upside

I’m not a big goalie guy honestly and slotting then in between skaters is tough, maybe mid teens for Knight. I don’t really have a #2 goalie but I like Trent Miner a lot

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Appreciate all the work that guys like you put into these rankings. I come here to get educated on draft-eligible players from guys who know them far better than I do.

Reactions: Lays

Petterssonic

May 27, 2019
Vancouver
I realized posting new rankings nearly every month was pointless. I’ve pretty much seen all I’ve needed to see and this list took a while to complete. I may add scouting reports for the top 62 and/or a mock draft later on and I’ll bump the thread if I do. Any questions/thoughts/feedback feel free comment

1. Kaapo Kakko
  2. Jack Hughes
  3. Bowen Byram
  4. Alex Turcotte
  5. Kirby Dach
  6. Philipp Broberg
  7. Matthew Boldy
  8. Cole Caufield
  9. Trevor Zegras
  10. Vasili Podkolzin
  11. Philipp Tomasino
  12. Alex Newhook
  13. Peyton Krebs
  14. Thomas Harley
  15. Cam York
  16. Egor Afanasyev
  17. Moritz Seider
  18. Victor Soderstrom
  19. Dylan Cozens
  20. Arthur Kaliyev
  21. Pavel Dorofeyev
  22. Ville Heinola
  23. Patrik Puistola
  24. Vladislav Kolyachonok
  25. Raphael Lavoie
  26. Jamieson Rees
  27. Samuel Poulin
  28. Ilya Nikolayev
  29. Matthew Robertson
  30. Bobby Brink
  31. Ryder Donovan
  32. Daniil Misyul
  33. Nils Hoglander
  34. Tobias Bjornfot
  35. Connor McMichael
  36. Brett Leason
  37. Jakob Pelletier
  38. Ryan Suzuki
  39. Brayden Tracey
  40. Nathan Legare
  41. Justin Bergeron
  42. Yegor Spiridonov
  43. Kaedan Korczak
  44. Samuel Bolduc
  45. Nicholas Robertson
  46. Lassi Thomson
  47. Samuel Fagemo
  48. Maxim Cajkovic
  49. Robert Mastrosimone
  50. Albin Grewe
  51. Mikko Kokkonen
  52. Roman Bychkov
  53. John Beecher
  54. Mattias Maccelli
  55. Cole Moberg
  56. Vladislav Firstov
  57. Ethan Keppen
  58. Jack LaCombe
  59. Ryan Johnson
  60. Artemi Knyazev
  61. Zac Jones
  62. Ethan Phillips
  63. Antti Tuomisto
  64. Semyon Chistyakov
  65. Kim Nousiainen
  66. Alex Beaucage
  67. Alex Vlasic
  68. Adam Beckman
  69. Jayden Struble
  70. Dmitri Sheshin
  71. Matvei Guskov
  72. Ronnie Attard
  73. Simon Holmstrom
  74. Antti Saarela
  75. Nikita Alexandrov
  76. Michal Teply
  77. Henri Thrun
  78. Ryan Siedem
  79. Anttoni Honka
  80. Rhett Pitlick
  81. Elmer Soderblom
  82. Joe Carroll
  83. Nikola Pasic
  84. Daniil Gutik
  85. Nolan Foote
  86. John Farinacci
  87. Simon Lundmark
  88. Tuukka Tieksola
  89. Valeri Orekhov
  90. Oleg Zaitsev
  91. Jack Malone
  92. Santeria Hatakka
  93. Ben Brinkman
  94. Drew Helleson
  95. Mattias Norlinder
  96. Henry Rybinski
  97. Sasha Mutala
  98. Leevi Aaltonen
  99. Keean Washkurak
  100. Matthew Steinburg
  101. Bryce Brodzinski
  102. Case McCarthy
  103. Graeme Clark
  104. Martin Hugo Has
  105. Billy Constantinou
  106. Blake Murray
  107. Lucas Feuk
  108. Kalle Loponen
  109. Henri Nikkanen
  110. Albert Johansson
  111. Layton Ahac
  112. Shane Pinto
  113. Cole Schwindt
  114. Quinn Schmiemann
  115. Nicholas Porco
  116. Dillon Hamaliuk
  117. Kirill Slepets
  118. Lukas Rousek
  119. Liam Ross
  120. Trevor Janicke
  121. Michael Vukojevic
  122. Luke Toporowski
  123. Arseni Gritsyuk
  124. Daniil Ogirchuk
  125. Max Guenette
  126. Kristian Tanus
  127. Josh Nodler
  128. Braden Doyle
  129. Ondrej Psenicka
  130. Iaroslav Likhachev
  131. Mitchell Brewer
  132. Arvid Costmar
  133. Patrick Moynihan
  134. Gianni Fairbrother
  135. Marshall Warren
  136. Valentin Nussbaumer
  137. Harrison Blaisdell
  138. Mikhail Abramov
  139. Alexander Darin
  140. Garrett Pinoniemi
  141. Maxim Shabanov
  142. Cody Morgan
  143. Yegor Serdyuk
  144. Judd Caulfield
  145. Vladislav Mikhailov
  146. Alex Campbell
  147. Maxim Denezhkin
  148. Ludvig Hedstrom
  149. Matus Hlavac
  150. Kirill Tyutyayev
  151. Marcus Kallionkieli
  152. Petr Cajka
  153. Brady Meyer
  154. Jake Lee
  155. Karl Henriksson
  156. Mathieu Bizier
  157. Xavier Simoneau
  158. Ilya Mironov
  159. Adam Edstrom
  160. Alexei Protas
  161. Brett Budgell
  162. Carter Berger
  163. Reece Newkirk
  164. Jordan Spence
  165. Juuso Parssinen
  166. Nikita Rtischev
  167. Brayden Pachal
  168. Jeremie Bucheler
  169. Martin Lang
  170. Albert Lyckasen
  171. Logan Barlage
  172. Anthony Romano
  173. Cole MacKay
  174. Andrei Pribylskiy
  175. Matias Mantikivi
  176. Samuel Sjolund
  177. Janis Moser
  178. Albin Sundsvik
  179. Christopher Merisier-Ortiz
  180. Grant Silianoff
I really like this list. Awesome job man.

Reactions: Lays

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Towering forward with excellent speed who can play a variety of roles and is both likable and coach able. Donovan is the top draft prospect among American high schoolers and for good reason — he’s as good a finisher and he is a set-up man. Although he doesn’t play a bruising, menacing style, Donovan’s explosiveness when coupled with his size surely must create an intimidating sight for opponents. He plays on the top line and top power-play unit, and his vision and finishing ability helps him do a lot of damage close to the goal. Donovan has incredibly soft hands and he cleanly handles most passes he receives in full flight. He also can drop down a gear and slow things down, only to stutter step or change directions once he sees a defender leaning the wrong way. Donovan is very intelligent and anticipates extremely well, so his penchant for staying on the periphery and not engaging in every puck battle serves to his advantage since it ends up on his stick regardless.

Donovan’s shot is slightly above average and he seems to favor the wrist shot, but he own an excellent backhander and can roof the puck from in tight. He doesn’t shoot off the pass as much as he should, but he’s calculated with his decisions and will stickhandle or fake his way closer to the goal. Donovan can manage the puck effectively in all three zones and be counted to on to support his defenders and take the puck across center on his own. He pays attention to his side of center and is fast enough to fill gaps, but you wouldn’t classify him as a two-way forward. Donovan puts forth a consistent effort every shift and has all the makings of an elite power forward at the next level. He’s committed to play college hockey for North Dakota.

First I'd heard of him, to be honest.

OMG you exactly described Brock Nelson from the 2010 NHL draft . Isles traded up with the Blackhawks and selected him with the last pick in round #1. I am not saying he is the top prospect or towering but he's 6'3 and fits the hockey description to a tee

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Thanks for all the hard work. Some interesting D rankings outside your top 50. Two that jump out are Siedem and Spence, you seem to have them reversed from most lists/mocks. I actually like them both around 90, so was wondering why you rank Siedem 86 places higher.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I do like the aggressive placement of Tomasino. Seems to be flying way under the radar on a lot of people’s rankings.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Dach has a worse mid season slump than Cozens. Doesn’t make much sense for them to be that far apart. Agree with your top 4 in that order though.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Haha all the people freaking out over your placement of Cozens are going to despise my list.

I'd love to see your reports on these guys.

Reactions: d rake and Lays

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Dach has a worse mid season slump than Cozens. Doesn’t make much sense for them to be that far apart. Agree with your top 4 in that order though.
One IQ is a strength while the other it is neutral or negative. Furthermore one has sky high potential while the other is safe yet unlikely an elite upside. Not hard to figure out why they could be far apart.

Reactions: sting101 and Lays

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Thanks for all the hard work. Some interesting D rankings outside your top 50. Two that jump out are Siedem and Spence, you seem to have them reversed from most lists/mocks. I actually like them both around 90, so was wondering why you rank Siedem 86 places higher.
I’m not a fan of Spence’s game. I think he has a low IQ and he has the tendency to make very dumb mistakes. In every viewing I had of Spence I came away with a bad impression, I’ve seen 5 games of Spence and 3 of Siedem’s. Spence reminds me a lot of Neal Pionk, even if he makes the NHL, I don’t want him on my team. Siedem is defensively sound and was 3rd in scoring for draft eligible dmen in the USHL, while playing on a meh team that doesn’t score much. He has a great frame to build into and he’s already defensively responsible. I think Siedem’s offensive upside is untapped and that developing at Harvard will only boost his stock
I do like the aggressive placement of Tomasino. Seems to be flying way under the radar on a lot of people’s rankings.
Out of every draft eligible I think Tomasino has developed the most this season. I think he was in my 80s earlier on and just forced his way up
I talked about Cozens a few posts above but Dach has higher offensive upside. Cozens screams Puljujarvi 2.0 with his tunnel vision, lack of a East/West game, and an inability to be effective in small spaces. For Cozens to create offense I’ve noticed he needs space. He’s not a quick thinker like Dach. I also think that while Cozens’ shot is very good in junior, it’ll have trouble in the NHL due to Cozens not being able to get it off fast enough. He skates around easily in junior and while it sounds like I’m hating on him, he doesn’t do much with the puck and I’ve noticed how bad his passing is. I’ve seen a lot of pucks die on his stick when they shouldn’t have as well. Dach also improved his skating and shot by a lot this season where as I haven’t noticed improvements in Cozens game
Everyone seems to be skeptical of Broberg's potential.
Broberg’s has one of the highest upsides in the class due to his skating, size, and shot. He’s pretty good defensively as well

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
17. Seider
18. soderstrom
19. cozens

Honestly the ducks would like to trade up to 17-19 range from the 29 spot please.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
One IQ is a strength while the other it is neutral or negative. Furthermore one has sky high potential while the other is safe yet unlikely an elite upside. Not hard to figure out why they could be far apart.
I’m not big on trying to evaluate IQ had a junior level. It’s not a tangible skill you can accurately measure. To me Cozens is smarter without the puck than Dach. I also think he has a stronger work ethic than Dach, skates better than Dach and is more consistent. Dach shoots better and is stronger on the puck. I have them neck and neck. I don’t see Cozens dropping out of the top 10.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Snoozing on ohl's 51 goal scorer Arthur Kaliyev?

And a great list you have. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad