Lawson Crouse

What do you want to see happen with Crouse?

• Total voters

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Forget about the 2nd round pick we forfeited when we kept him up (barf.) Are you happy with his progression? Do you see him asa future piece, rather than just a trade chip? What do you think his ceiling is?

I for one see him as a core piece. We need a legit power forward that can play anywhere between the 4th and 2nd line. Championship teams have at least one player like him. He can score, hit, intimidate and has some pretty decent speed as well.

I wasn't sold on him for the last 2 years, now I love the player.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I see him as a core piece. He’s never going to be a top line player, but that’s alright. I’d much rather use Fischer as a trade piece if were looking to upgrade. I’m not sold on him at all. He probably has more trade value as well.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Difference between patience and hope - he does a lot of the little things that we need players like him to do, it was just a matter of time. I really think that his staying up in the NHL for the year was simply b/c we really didn't have anyone like him, and he needed to experience being the big fish in a big pond. I think that being in the AHL for both years, as opposed to just going down to Tucson last year, would have actually stunted his physicality a little bit and not gotten him prepared to understand the size and speed of players in the NHL. Last year, it was about getting him to use his size in the right way and "rediscover" his offensive game in the AHL. Now, it is about taking that and continuing it forward. Don't really care if he only has between 10-25 points on the year, as long as he can be exactly what you said Rabbit - a player who can be the power forward for the 2nd-4th line.

Reactions: Lawson of Anarchy

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He will only get better. I still think he would be closer to a 20 goal guy this season had he developed an extra year in juniors. No reason he cant come close to that next season hoeever.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Personally I've been a big fan of Crouse for a while. Love what he brings to the team. Always happy to see him get rewarded with points!

Agree, he is a forechecking monster and there is a reason his nickname is "The Sheriff".

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I think he's the kind of guy that will only improve the more you play him. He hasn't reached his ceiling by any stretch. I think if he keeps getting play time his confidence will build to do more and shoot more especially.

Big body with decent speed is not something you can teach. He may never be the top guy but he is a guy you want on your team for a playoff run.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We should pull up the draft thread. I was pumping his tires hard.

That's cool but he isn't anything like the player he was drafted to be yet. Maybe someday it will dawn on him that there's like maybe a half dozen guys with his size and speed but until then he's just a solid player.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
2 years ago I saw that he needed conditioning. I think he still does. In addition to what others mention, I think he has the right attitude - works hard, positive, 2-way player. After the ELC, I imagine he won't be getting an outrageous contract, which is also a plus. Interesting to see what happens.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
This is how we expected Strome to develop. Crouse was really just a bigger body - good at smashing guys against the boards. In these last two years he has really developed in all aspects of his game. Totally underrated skater, nothing earth shattering but good, soft hands with surprising vision, has a scoring touch that many 4th liners never get. Overall he's been a great piece this year and should continue to develop as he has been. I'm trying to think if he's even been on anyone's radar for scratching this year. I can't remember thinking like that.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I've been very impressed with him this year. He is defensively sound and now is using his size and strength to his advantage. I didn't think so last year. I was wrong.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I've been very impressed with him this year. He is defensively sound and now is using his size and strength to his advantage. I didn't think so last year. I was wrong.
I see improvement and he is on the PK so even more solid on D. His play away from the puck is much better, that will keep him in the line up and he is chipping in points too.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Would like to see him fight every now and then. Hes got the size and from what I have seen before can throw em.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Would like to see him fight every now and then. Hes got the size and from what I have seen before can throw em.
Uh, no. I've seen him fight, what, a year ago? For a big guy he's not a good fighter. I agree with you, though, we need somebody who can drop the gloves on this team. If not now, then for when we move into the Central.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Uh, no. I've seen him fight, what, a year ago? For a big guy he's not a good fighter. I agree with you, though, we need somebody who can drop the gloves on this team. If not now, then for when we move into the Central.

He's certainly better than a core of the shmucks out there that fight. The only deeming loss he took last year was against Chris Stewart. He had good showings against Dillon, Mckenzie, and beat Subban handidly. Traded with Tanner Glass pretty well as a rookie, too. He also has some good wins in Juniors. To say he isnt good is just dumb. He is very capable of holding his own in todays NHL.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He's certainly better than a core of the shmucks out there that fight. The only deeming loss he took last year was against Chris Stewart. He had good showings against Dillon, Mckenzie, and beat Subban handidly. Traded with Tanner Glass pretty well as a rookie, too. He also has some good wins in Juniors. To say he isnt good is just dumb. He is very capable of holding his own in todays NHL.
You may be right. I am going on my recollection and I wasn't the least bit impressed. I was hoping Ty would teach him to fight on skates.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
You may be right. I am going on my recollection and I wasn't the least bit impressed. I was hoping Ty would teach him to fight on skates.

I would imagine you're talking about the Stewart fight. He got worked in that one, for sure.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
A guy to hold on to, obviously. But I know how this works: if the offer is good enough, you take it. Also, obviously.

The constant trading of players was probably the thing that amazed me the most when I started to follow the NHL.

I remember it was: wow. In Europe, we mostly talk about what could the players do differently when things go bad. Here, all the talk is about getting different players.

Reactions: sundance74

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
He needs to switch places with Panik. Give him better linemates. Let him play with Stepan. He’s been just as effective, I’d argue he’s been better, as Fischer. But Fischer has been allowed to play up in the lineup all year so far.

Reactions: Lawson of Anarchy

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He needs to switch places with Panik. Give him better linemates. Let him play with Stepan. He’s been just as effective, I’d argue he’s been better, as Fischer. But Fischer has been allowed to play up in the lineup all year so far.

Crouse was very good at the start of the season, and had been very good these past couple weeks. When the team was slumping he was not as effective, and iirc that is around the time he was being put on the first line with Keller and Chucky. Not that he was bad or invisible, but he was just not generating the same opportunities and didn't play with as much jam
Fischer has been pretty solid defensively all season and very rarely makes a mistake on his assignments. He has just been much more cold this season offensivly. I do think it's time to start moving Crouse up, but spreading out the skill on 4 lines works for a team without star power. I actually wouldnt mind seeing Crouse Stepan and Fischer on the same line. It could really cause major headaches.

Did Stepan play with Krieder in NY? Maybe he plays well with powerforwards.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
How are people feeling about Lawson now? It seems he had a pretty good year with 15 goals and over 200 hits. Perhaps he’s exactly the kind of player you want around for a playoff run.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think we all want a little more piss and vinegar from him. Yes he hits, but a lot of the time they aren't all that impactful (kinda of a hilarious unintentional pun). He will fight occasionally but rarely does to stick up for a teammate, most of his fights seem to happen because someone asks him to. The goals are great, but it's almost entirely off the rush.

All that being said he is 23 and we need more players like him. His development has been mostly positive and he is worth way more than whatever we gave up for him at this point and also worth more on to AZ than the price it would take for us to move him. He could easily take another step forward these next two seasons but I'd be moderately happy if he can keep replicating seasons like last.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad