Value of: Lawson Crouse

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I want the Oilers to give Lawson a chance.
Anything around Lucic a first for Crouse ? :)

Oilers aren't giving up a 1st to get rid of Lucic.

There aren't any free agents worth signing with the cap room freed up and there aren't many assets to trade for someone.

I don't see how that proposal makes the Oilers a better team right now.

Lucic might suck again and given that he's been disappointing since he became an Oiler he probably will but what you're proposing still doesn't make sense.

If he can skate I'll take him on the Oil. Put Nuge on rw and have Crouse digging up the pucks and playing the puck retrieval game. Or put him on Drais wing along with Pulju and roll out the big boy line.

Lucic + 1st? Arizona could use a tough veteran presence for the room and the ice. You could send us Panik or Bollands contract back for the cap hit.

Wow this is actually worse than what the other guy proposed.

It's always sobering to be reminded there are people out there that would somehow actually be worse than Peter Chiarelli.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I still think he can be capable of being a competent middle-sixer, or even a complimentary first-liner in the way that Zach Hyman is technically a first liner. If the Leafs weren't so deep on the wings, I'd offer easily offer a 2nd for him (even add in another pick that could become a 2nd or a 3rd with conditions). Although, he might end up being loved a bit too much by Babs.

I agree with the assessment that the Coyotes should keep him. He has good speed, is fairly smart and size. He should atleast be a complimentary middle-sixer with the ability to be a strong PKer.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Oilers aren't giving up a 1st to get rid of Lucic.

There aren't any free agents worth signing with the cap room freed up and there aren't many assets to trade for someone.

I don't see how that proposal makes the Oilers a better team right now.

Lucic might suck again and given that he's been disappointing since he became an Oiler he probably will but what you're proposing still doesn't make sense.

Wow this is actually worse than what the other guy proposed.

It's always sobering to be reminded there are people out there that would somehow actually be worse than Peter Chiarelli.
Then use the cap space and make a trade for Kreider/Nyquist/other available winger

Nuge-Mcdavid-Yamo
X-Drai-Pulju
Crouse-Strome-Rieder

Or

Crouse-Mcdavid-Nuge
X-Drai-Pulju
Rieder-Strome-Yamo

Or

Nuge-Mcdavid-Yamo
Crouse-Drai-Pulju
X/Rieder-Strome-X/Rieder

Looks a lot better than our top 9 rn.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I want the Oilers to give Lawson a chance.
Anything around Lucic a first for Crouse ? :)

Ohhhhh! I like you're way of thinking!
Maybe they can convince Lucic to fake an injury that will keep him off of the ice for the rest of his career so that they never need to spend a penny on him ever again.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Panthers got back A 3rd in 2017 and a 2nd in 2018. Both high picks in their respective rounds.

Overall, Likely doesn’t seem as good now for AZ to get what most would say now projects to be a big body 3rd line type guy. Seemed like a steal by AZ at the time.

Depends on how fla did on those picks.
I think the 2018 2nd was part of Demers trade.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I think the 2018 2nd was part of Demers trade.
Nope, it came from the Crouse trade. We got the 2017 3rd rounder (Gildon) and 2018 2nd rounder (Noel) - the second rounder was dependent on Crouse playing 10+NHL games in 2016-2017, which he did.

Demers was traded straight up for McGinn and with 500k retention from us, no picks involved. It was purely a move to get him off the roster for another overpaid guy with less term.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Nope, it came from the Crouse trade. We got the 2017 3rd rounder (Gildon) and 2018 2nd rounder (Noel) - the second rounder was dependent on Crouse playing 10+NHL games in 2016-2017, which he did.

Demers was traded straight up for McGinn and with 500k retention from us, no picks involved. It was purely a move to get him off the roster for another overpaid guy with less term.
Oh yes, now I remember the Crouse watch hoping he'd play enough to upgrade the pick. Thanks.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not sure there is a Lucic + ? for Crouse + ? that would be palatable to both sides. But I'll take a stab at it.

Lucic + Puljujarvi

for

Crouse, Cousins, Capobianco and Bolland's contract

Oilers fans will hate swapping JP for Crouse. Coyotes fans will hate taking Lucic without some retention down the line. So maybe in the ballpark? Or just plain awful?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'm not sure there is a Lucic + ? for Crouse + ? that would be palatable to both sides. But I'll take a stab at it.

Lucic + Puljujarvi

for

Crouse, Cousins, Capobianco and Bolland's contract

Oilers fans will hate swapping JP for Crouse. Coyotes fans will hate taking Lucic without some retention down the line. So maybe in the ballpark? Or just plain awful?
So Lucic and our highest upside young prospect/player to not break out yet for a bunch of spare parts/Crouse who we hope would become a nice middle 6er for us. Go ahead and read anything published about Pulju this offseason, watch the videos and the games he's played. The guy looks so confident and by all account has been having a monster summer training in Finland. Trading one of the youngest players from his draft class, and a really big guy at that when they take longer to develop at 20 years old when he his apparently training his ass off to "play with Mcdavid's line", that would be absurd.

Lucic + 1st/Mcleod + 6th
For
Crouse + Bolland

Last edited:

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
This guy was ranked 4th by ISS and 5th in NA skaters by NHL Central Scouting, yet not so many view him that high. Kids, this is why you shouldn't give to much importance to these pre-draft rankings.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
More than he’s “worth” based on what he’s done so far. Probably a clear cut better prospect to make it worth it.
This to make makes no sense. It’s fair to hold your own prospects to a higher value and level, but this type of remark for trading makes no sense.

If valuations subscribed to “statements” like these, not calling you out, but just as an example, no GM would make trades.

Crouse isn’t anything special. He’s most likely going to be at most a 3rd line checking forward or a very low-end 2nd line replacement. Giving up a better prospect for a figment if it’s potential doesn’t really do anyone any good.

Why would someone give up a more valuable asset to obtain a devalued asset that won’t reach its max output?

I’m not trying to be mean, call you out, or show you up... I’m just using the sentiment of your post as an example. I don’t mean to offend you.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This to make makes no sense. It’s fair to hold your own prospects to a higher value and level, but this type of remark for trading makes no sense.

If valuations subscribed to “statements” like these, not calling you out, but just as an example, no GM would make trades.

Crouse isn’t anything special. He’s most likely going to be at most a 3rd line checking forward or a very low-end 2nd line replacement. Giving up a better prospect for a figment if it’s potential doesn’t really do anyone any good.

Why would someone give up a more valuable asset to obtain a devalued asset that won’t reach its max output?

I’m not trying to be mean, call you out, or show you up... I’m just using the sentiment of your post as an example. I don’t mean to offend you.

No offense taken. I think this is why you don't necessarily see prospects like Crouse traded. It makes no sense for either side. In a couple years when he's struggling to reach his potential, maybe you see a change of scenery type deal. The other option is Crouse being a part of a larger deal as a sweetener.

But it doesn't make sense for Arizona to trade him as the primary piece for anything other than an improvement (which is what I was trying to get at with my original post), but likewise it doesn't make sense for a team to trade a better prospect for him (which is what you're getting at in your post, I believe).

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This guy was ranked 4th by ISS and 5th in NA skaters by NHL Central Scouting, yet not so many view him that high. Kids, this is why you shouldn't give to much importance to these pre-draft rankings.

Not really. I think most reasonable people knew he should not have been ranked that high.

The chatter around Crouse pre-draft was that the scouting publications had gone off the looney bin in their evaluations of him, because SIIIZZEEEE

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Unless ARI is going to get a 2nd (or similar value), its probably best to hang on to him. Worse case scenario he plateaus as a 4th liner, thats still about as valuable as the 4th or 5th round pick they'd likely be offered, so there's almost no downside.

Reactions: bukwas

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Not really. I think most reasonable people knew he should not have been ranked that high.

The chatter around Crouse pre-draft was that the scouting publications had gone off the looney bin in their evaluations of him, because SIIIZZEEEE
Exactly what I just said. Not so many view him as high as the rankings. Why are you repeating what I said?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Some similarities to Virtanen?
I don’t think so. Crouse doesn’t have that amount of skill. But he’s also much smarter and more solid all-around. Crouse could be an effective checking line player and PKer one day, even if the offense never really develops. With his size and strength and cycle game, he could be valuable regardless of any points. Then again, Virtanen is meaner and faster and could end up the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad