Recalled/Assigned: Lawson Crouse assigned to the AHL

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
HhoLoUz.png

Am I reading this on CapFriendly right? Did we just send Lawson Crouse down to the AHL?

Edit: it's official now: https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coyotes-assign-crouse-to-ahl/c-292273326

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think this is a good move, although I'm expecting some heat from folks who would rather have seen Kempe go down... :D

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not a fan of sending Crouse down, but if they cleared room for him to play in Tucson by bumping Larraza down to the ECHL, the only logical explanation is that we're activating someone from IR. Perlini, hopefully?

The right call. He should have never been on this team if they weren't gonna play him. We all know that he has a solid allround game. Shutdown and PK duties with limited minutes you can leave for a random 4th liner. No need to waste a top prospects time. Crouse needs to play heavy minutes, including PP. Since they obviously weren't prepared to give him that with the Coyotes it was an idiot move to even keep him around.

Send every prospect down anyway and keep only those who aren't waiver exempt or who clearly graduated. Don't play your prospects on a losing team. This isn't how a rebuild works...keep them scoring and winning in the minors and bring them up at the deadline after you traded some vets you signed. This is how a rebuild usually works. Somebody please tell Chayka.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The right call. He should have never been on this team if they weren't gonna play him. We all know that he has a solid allround game. Shutdown and PK duties with limited minutes you can leave for a random 4th liner. No need to waste a top prospects time. Crouse needs to play heavy minutes, including PP. Since they obviously weren't prepared to give him that with the Coyotes it was an idiot move to even keep him around.

Send every prospect down anyway and keep only those who aren't waiver exempt or who clearly graduated. Don't play your prospects on a losing team. This isn't how a rebuild works...keep them scoring and winning in the minors and bring them up at the deadline after you traded some vets you signed. This is how a rebuild usually works. Somebody please tell Chayka.

For once, I actually agree with you.

The world is imploding.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
For once, I actually agree with you.

The world is imploding.

Lol.
To add to that. I really like Crouse and I can understand if people are upset about him getting sent down.
At the same time they weren't expecting to get a 4th liner when they got him a big part of the Datsyuk deal. He may never be a natural scorer but he can surely develop into Shane Doan or Dustin Brown 2.0 if he can find a way how to score in pro hockey. So far over both seasons he got 38% offensive zone starts and 62% defensive zone starts and averaged only 11:45 per game without PP-time. This isn't good for his development. If they played him 16mins per night with offensive zone starts and PP-minutes I would have been okay with keeping him around. But it's probably best for him to play heavy minutes in Tuscon.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Lol.
To add to that. I really like Crouse and I can understand if people are upset about him getting sent down.
At the same time they weren't expecting to get a 4th liner when they got him a big part of the Datsyuk deal. He may never be a natural scorer but he can surely develop into Shane Doan or Dustin Brown 2.0 if he can find a way how to score in pro hockey. So far over both seasons he got 38% offensive zone starts and 62% defensive zone starts and averaged only 11:45 per game without PP-time. This isn't good for his development. If they played him 16mins per night with offensive zone starts and PP-minutes I would have been okay with keeping him around. But it's probably best for him to play heavy minutes in Tuscon.

You lost everyone at Dustin Brown.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
From the very limited time they had together, Crouse and Strome actually had a bit of chemistry, so hopefully they're together in Tucson and do a job.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If this is to work on his offensive game and play with strome, cool. Did he fly with the team to new York though? Why not just send him down before being healthy scratched twice? If all that's needed is a body in case of an injury, couldn't he have been swapped with an ahler earlier so crouse isn't just sitting? Reminds me of the strome demotion, not a bad decision but peculiar timing and circumstances.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
If this is to work on his offensive game and play with strome, cool. Did he fly with the team to new York though? Why not just send him down before being healthy scratched twice? If all that's needed is a body in case of an injury, couldn't he have been swapped with an ahler earlier so crouse isn't just sitting? Reminds me of the strome demotion, not a bad decision but peculiar timing and circumstances.

Tucson is playing in Grand Rapids tonight.

Flying all the way to the east coast to be a healthy scratch Tuesday is not an inconvience since Crouse could meet up with Tucson in Grand Rapids for the game tonight.

Its prefect timing because Tucson is on the road and Perlini comes back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad