Recalled/Assigned: Lawrence Pilut emergency recall (3/24/19)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Also Nelson receives an undeserved amount of hate around here. Personally, I think he's been better than Bogo in many games - and maybe Scandella. Hot take.

I think it varies. Bogo and Scandella haven't been good yet at the same time. When Bogo was great, Scandella was awful. As Bogo has regressed, Scandella has played much better.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I think he's in the Nelson/BowlYou range as far as production goes. So I wouldn't mind at all if one of them sat for Pilut. Obviously he has a higher potential ceiling.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Does not look out of place. Looks like a good depth guy. Could anchor a #3 pairing one day and be an asset offensively creating a mismatch.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Does not look out of place. Looks like a good depth guy. Could anchor a #3 pairing one day and be an asset offensively creating a mismatch.
That’s what you’d hope for with a 22 y/o UDFA. Solid defensively, good, smart passing, and some offensive upside. Maybe a 30-35 pt guy.

It’s expected a 22 y/o who’s played in the SHL for years should be able to come in and be near pro ready. Pilut is solid.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I thought Pilut and Ristolainen was going to be a good pairing based on my assessment of Ristolainen. His usage should be closer to Brent Burns than it has been. Burns has Ryan as his partner, who is smaller but skates well and has high hockey IQ.

I don't think Pilut goes back to Rochester, and I think he's Ristolainen's long term D partner.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I thought Pilut and Ristolainen was going to be a good pairing based on my assessment of Ristolainen. His usage should be closer to Brent Burns than it has been. Burns has Ryan as his partner, who is smaller but skates well and has high hockey IQ.

I don't think Pilut goes back to Rochester, and I think he's Ristolainen's long term D partner.

When everyone is healthy, I won't be shocked if he goes to Rochester since he won't need to clear waivers and the team will want to keep the organizational D depth intact.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
That could be how they approach it, as well.

With how well Pilut played, and the injuries, I'd prefer to go 8 D. Housley has done OK rotating Nelson and Beaulieu, so he can make it work.

Scandella and McCabe play style which lead them to get banged up. Bogosian.... who knows. And now Nelson is hurt.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
When everyone is healthy, I won't be shocked if he goes to Rochester since he won't need to clear waivers and the team will want to keep the organizational D depth intact.

*If. Players are going to keep getting hurt, it's the nature of the sport.
Regardless, Pilut paid his dues and he's easily earned his spot in the line-up. The team can waive Elie, Nelson, or Beaulieu if needed to make room.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I thought Pilut fitted in well last night although he got schooled a couple times and made one terrible pass that I thought was too risky. But overall-good skater, good gap, good vision.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pilut is a top 4, NOW

McCabe will be back in the top 4 when he gets back in.

Risto - McCabe
Dahlin - Bogo
Nothing wrong with a 3rd pairing of
Beaullieu/Nelson-Pilut

I like having a puck mover on each pairing. This is the way the game is gravitating towards. Like to see what he can do over an extended period of games.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He was unreal last night. A couple rookie hiccups as you would expect, but man... his poise and passing is a delight to watch. He moves around the ice well and I was very impressed with his dzone play and willingness to battle on the walls. That late block on Marner was beautiful.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, he should stay the rest of the year.

Which means they’ll need to trade/waive someone, 2 someone’s when everyone’s healthy.

Elie + Hunwick seems reasonable

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Regardless, Pilut paid his dues and he's easily earned his spot in the line-up. The team can waive Elie, Nelson, or Beaulieu if needed to make room.

Elie getting waived is no big deal.

But, if they lose a defenseman like Nelson or Beaulieu to waivers, that could be a decision that bites them before the end of the season.

#neverforget2006

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Elie getting waived is no big deal.

But, if they lose a defenseman like Nelson or Beaulieu to waivers, that could be a decision that bites them before the end of the season.

#neverforget2006
I can't see us waiving Beaulieu at this point, he's actually performing very well for us IMO. His spot seems safe for the duration. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hunwick waived to Rochester when he's healthy. I'd actually be far more surprised to NOT see that happen.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I can't see us waiving Beaulieu at this point, he's actually performing very well for us IMO. His spot seems safe for the duration. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hunwick waived to Rochester when he's healthy. I'd actually be far more surprised to NOT see that happen.

Beaulieu would get traded before being sent to Rochester.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Its not about paying dues and Beaulieu and Nelson would never be waived. Sometimes its about numbers and the only one who can clear waivers is Pilut. Nelson has a future on this team.

That being said I think Beaulieu has value and is tradable.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
There are a bunch of teams in the NHL who are looking for D...Dallas being one of them. So you guys can easily just trade Hunwick for a pick or prospect...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad