Seattle has a better left side than we do:

Giordano
Oleksiak
Dunn
Soucy
H. Fleury
Chowloski
Lauzon

Lauzon is no better than the 6th best guy on just the left side, and one could easily argue, as I would, that he is #7, behind Chowloski. That means Seattle, and expansion team, could conceivable field two lineups, and Lauzon wouldn't make either one of them.

I believe Lauzon will not make the team, and Seattle will try to move him prior to putting him on waivers. That is the time to get him back for a mid-level prospect on an entry level deal that is not subject to waivers (e.g. Steen or Hall).

I don’t agree with that at all...

Giordano and Oleksiak are obviously ahead of him.

Dunn is very talented offensively but was scratched multiple times last season for being awful defensively. I like his potential but as of right now he is a one dimensional third pair defensemen.

The love Soucy gets makes me laugh. The guys is 27, he has played 108 NHL games and averaged 15:17 of ice time last season. He’s an okay player but Lauzon is younger and better.

As far as Fleury and Chlowski being equal or better, no way. Not close.

Reactions: Kegs

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Wish the Bruins were able to keep both. I liked Lauzon's moxy. But Forbot is showing he's an upgrade over Lauzon and Zboril hadn't really shown by the end of the year he could be a regular. But he is now and he's looking like 1st round talent. I would love to see Z-Bo finally get that 1st goal - it'll do wonders for his growing confidence.

Reactions: HustleB and Ratty

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Zboril is showing why he was drafted ahead of Lauzon. Good to see him finally putting it all together. Always had the tools.

huh? Lauzon is playing well for the Kraken. His ice time keeps creeping up, last five games he is averaging 19:30 on a defense loaded with left shot defensemen, their left side is far better than what the Bruins have. There’s a reason the Bruins, the Kraken, and the guy that coached them both in the AHL picked Lauzon over Zboril, Lauzon is better.

That being said I’m hopeful for Zboril and he has looked solid the last few games

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
huh? Lauzon is playing well for the Kraken. His ice time keeps creeping up, last five games he is averaging 19:30 on a defense loaded with left shot defensemen, their left side is far better than what the Bruins have. There’s a reason the Bruins, the Kraken, and the guy that coached them both in the AHL picked Lauzon over Zboril, Lauzon is better.

That being said I’m hopeful for Zboril and he has looked solid the last few games

I think " well " is a stretch. Lauzon has been very inconsistent this year.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I think " well " is a stretch. Lauzon has been very inconsistent this year.

“Well” isn’t a stretch at all. He is playing big minutes on the PK and getting a large number of defensive zone starts for a team that really isn’t that good. I’m not saying he’s been an all star or outstanding but I’ve watched a good chunk of their games and in my opinion he has been one of their four best defensemen and his minutes are starting to reflect that, he is getting rewarded. He looks bigger/faster than last year and is still figuring out the league but he is no doubt getting better. There are still some mistakes but less frequent than last year.

He’s also doing it on a team that has really solid defensive depth. He is outplaying Soucy & Fleury by a wide margin (those two alternate getting scratched). He is playing well, context is important but to bump this thread makes zero sense given Lauzons play.

Reactions: TCB

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Disagree. He was not playing like this last year. Not even close.
IDK Dom. I just think that I’ve seen glimpses of this already from him. The difference to me is him getting benched at every little mistake. We’ll see what happens when he does have a mistake. What will Cassidy do? Seems to me that they don’t fight through the problems of growing some prospects. I understand Cassidy’s job is to win games.

Reactions: Blowfish and TCB

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
“Well” isn’t a stretch at all. He is playing big minutes on the PK and getting a large number of defensive zone starts for a team that really isn’t that good. I’m not saying he’s been an all star or outstanding but I’ve watched a good chunk of their games and in my opinion he has been one of their four best defensemen and his minutes are starting to reflect that, he is getting rewarded. He looks bigger/faster than last year and is still figuring out the league but he is no doubt getting better. There are still some mistakes but less frequent than last year.

He’s also doing it on a team that has really solid defensive depth. He is outplaying Soucy & Fleury by a wide margin (those two alternate getting scratched). He is playing well, context is important but to bump this thread makes zero sense given Lauzons play.

Well is certainly a stretch. He's a bottom 4 dman on a bad team, but he also played big minutes on the PK with large defensive zone starts on a good team last season with mixed results. Overall, he's averaging a little over 17 minutes a game, 3 assists, -2, averages less than a shot per game and has some piss poor advanced stats. He has some strengths that I like and I wish the Bruins found a way to keep him, but if Lauzon is playing top 4 minutes for your team, they're going to have a rough go of things. Ideally, he's a bottom pairing, penalty killing dman that brings physicality and some flashes here and there but not much else.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Love it when a young man keeps his nose to the grindstone and keeps working to get better even when there are plenty of reasons to get discouraged. What a great bonus to the team it would be if Zboril continues to play solid hockey and is able to stick in the lineup. The way he has played this preseason and regular season is good enough to easily forgive some of the mistakes he makes. He has really elevated his play. Just hope it continues and he can consistently be effective.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Well is certainly a stretch. He's a bottom 4 dman on a bad team, but he also played big minutes on the PK with large defensive zone starts on a good team last season with mixed results. Overall, he's averaging a little over 17 minutes a game, 3 assists, -2, averages less than a shot per game and has some piss poor advanced stats. He has some strengths that I like and I wish the Bruins found a way to keep him, but if Lauzon is playing top 4 minutes for your team, they're going to have a rough go of things. Ideally, he's a bottom pairing, penalty killing dman that brings physicality and some flashes here and there but not much else.

Agree to disagree I guess, I’ve watched a lot of Kraken games and admittedly I am a fan of Lauzon but I don’t think saying he is playing well is a stretch. Excellent would be a stretch, great would be a stretch, but not well. And again, I’ll keep fighting against those who try to use advanced stats to judge players like Lauzon...he is getting heavy defensive zone starts/playing big pk minutes on a team that can’t score...those type of players aren’t going to have great advanced stats. Meanwhile Zboril is being sheltered defensively with high offensive zone starts. Credit to Zboril for doing something with those starts so far but it’s not apples to apples and it’s a bad way to judge defensemen.

Like I said earlier, last five games Lauzon’s average ice time has been increased to 19:30 because he is playing well and being rewarded. Long term you may be right about Lauzon never becoming more than a bottom pair defensemen but I think he is more likely to become a top-4 guy than Zboril.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Lauzon is doing better the last few games, but he had a tough start in Seattle and I am sure they are hoping he sustains this and settles in to being a consistent 3rd pair/PK guy. Just like the Bruins are hoping Zboril has finally found his pro game. I would have liked to have had both of them in Boston to be honest.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Lauzon is doing better the last few games, but he had a tough start in Seattle and I am sure they are hoping he sustains this and settles in to being a consistent 3rd pair/PK guy. Just like the Bruins are hoping Zboril has finally found his pro game. I would have liked to have had both of them in Boston to be honest.

When both play their game, they each bring a different element that is refreshing to a defensive core. I definitely feel the same. Sucks we couldn’t have kept Lauzon.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
IDK Dom. I just think that I’ve seen glimpses of this already from him. The difference to me is him getting benched at every little mistake. We’ll see what happens when he does have a mistake. What will Cassidy do? Seems to me that they don’t fight through the problems of growing some prospects. I understand Cassidy’s job is to win games.

I agree with this sentiment as well Chizzler...Not sure when or reason why he was removed from starting line up but I thought he had showed/played well the times he did play. Doesn't really matter. Great to see him playing well now.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
This crap about Cassidy needs to stop. Look, I never wanted the guy as coach, but I will admit he does a great job. He does what any coach will do, not what is couch potatoes will do. I feel people here are following the narrative created by a couple of people.

What will Cassidy do? Zboril took a bad and unnecessary penalty last night. Sure in previous seasons you have to sit young player until he learns. And he put him right back out there!!

Credit to Cassidy for working those 2 or 3 bad and selfish penalties out of Zboril's game!!!!@

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I agree with this sentiment as well Chizzler...Not sure when or reason why he was removed from starting line up but I thought he had showed/played well the times he did play. Doesn't really matter. Great to see him playing well now.
But it's always Cassidy in your mind with all due respect. Same with Cehlarik.

He was injured that's why he was out.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If you disregard a couple of poster's hate for Cassidy and the weird narrative that he hates kids and look at what he does objectively, you will notice that there are certain things he (or most any other NHL coach) will not tolerate for long. Those are consistently lazy mistake plays, giving up on pucks, consistent lack of effort on the forecheck or backcheck, unwillingness to try to battle on the boards or corners. He makes concessions to player style and skillset in those areas, but there is a basic level of consistent commitment that he wants and young players that have not learned this get benched. There is also the idea that these are things that get worked on and drummed into these guys' heads in practice all the time, so when they get out on the ice and it goes out the window, he loses patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad