Lausanne Youth Olympic Games 2020

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Overall, I didn't even think before the final game, Team Russia would be so much better, than Americans, but our kids were. The score could be much bigger, if not the American goalie, he was by far the best American on the ice.

Reactions: Dominance

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Russia definitely was the best team throughout the tournament and deserved gold. Results at the U16 level don't mean much but it was fun to be able to identify a lot of the next wave of talent from different countries. Even though plenty of the players we saw won't pan out, there looks to be some high-end talent headed to the U17 ranks next year.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Russia definitely was the best team throughout the tournament and deserved gold. Results at the U16 level don't mean much but it was fun to be able to identify a lot of the next wave of talent from different countries. Even though plenty of the players we saw won't pan out, there looks to be some high-end talent headed to the U17 ranks next year.
That was 15U man.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Players from the previous tournament that went on to play* at the WJC (*2 of which are goalies who didn't play at all)
2012: Russia (5), Finland (4), USA (3), Canada (1)
2016: Russia (6), USA (4), Canada (4), Finland (2*) (*not including Jesperi Kotkaniemi)

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Players from the previous tournament that went on to play* at the WJC (*2 of which are goalies who didn't play at all)
2016: Russia (6), USA (4), Canada (4), Finland (2*) (*not including Jesperi Kotkaniemi)

I was just doing the math on the Canadian team but you are right.
Quite a few more B team players but it goes to show how things change thru development years

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

One of those Russian kids of 2016 team plays in the NHL, and plays well...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Fun tournament to watch but trying to draw anything from it beyond names to keep an eye on is an exercise in futility.

To me all tournaments, but WHC/WCH/Olympics, are just nothing, but hockey expos to look at the hockey future. I didn't even watch the last WJC final, because I didn't think, that Russian team had players with bright future. It was a pretty average Team Russia, that tried to outgrind, not outplay, every opponent. I hate such kind of hockey. To me it's this U16 team, that plays hockey, I used to love since I watched my first hockey game almost 50 years ago, not that U20 team.

Reactions: Dominance

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Fun tournament to watch but trying to draw anything from it beyond names to keep an eye on is an exercise in futility.

That is comforting if you are from a country other than Russia, but Russians might see it differently. The tournaments in 2012 and 2016 were highly competitive, with Russia winning Silver in 2012 and Bronze in 2016. The 2020 tournament was anything but competitive! It was total domination by Russia - they just destroyed the next one up on the ice. I don't think I have ever seen an international tournament that was so one-sided - I can't think of one. Yes, it was U16, but given the now noticeable trend of Russia moving toward the top in every youth tournament (I may be biased, but it seemed to me that Russia was the best team at both the 2019 and 2020 WJC tournaments, and have no excuse for not winning Gold medals in both), it looks as though investment in youth hockey in Russia, even as paltry as it is compared to the USA or Canada, is really starting to pay off! We will continue to watch with interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad