Recalled/Assigned: Lauridsen and Manning reassigned to AHL Jan. 21; recalled 1/19

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Only because Phantoms have 3 games over the NHL All Star break. Idiotic to keep them up for a break while they can play games. Manning will probably be recalled after the break.

Only if Schultz is still hurt. They only need 6 D for these next four home games. And they don't travel again till Feb. 8th.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
Only if Schultz is still hurt. They only need 6 D for these next four home games. And they don't travel again till Feb. 8th.

I would play him over MacD, he did not look good last night. Manning looked more competent than MacD. Also they'll move 1 or 2 dmen, atleast, by the deadline and Manning will be back then if not right after the break.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
One decent game going against the Pens bottom lines and this career AHLer should now be in our top 6. :shakehead

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
One decent game going against the Pens bottom lines and this career AHLer should now be in our top 6. :shakehead

manning looked great last night, oh you mean the bottom lined players on one the best teams in the league and in the best league in the entire world. your right he's trash not any good at all, i mean the bottom lined player on the penguins should be playing mens league, and not even in the highest division. I think we tend to forget while we sit behind our keyboards just how elite these players all are. We all joke about enforcers and such, but have you ever seen these guys skate? there phenomenal all of them, that being said with the contracts and Dmen the flyers have he has to be sent back down sadly, hopefully with a trade or two he can come back, i liked his game.

RJ8812*

well, to be honest, that's what you look for in a bottom pairing defenseman....one that can play well against the other team's bottom 6

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
well, to be honest, that's what you look for in a bottom pairing defenseman....one that can play well against the other team's bottom 6

agreed, shouldn't be referred to as "the top 6" either, its bottom pairing defensive responsibility, which he did well last night

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Might as well figure out what you got with Manning. He's very good at the AHL level and still is of the age where it's not a foregone conclusion that he's not an NHL player.

I hope to see more of him as the season goes on.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
manning looked great last night, oh you mean the bottom lined players on one the best teams in the league and in the best league in the entire world. your right he's trash not any good at all, i mean the bottom lined player on the penguins should be playing mens league, and not even in the highest division. I think we tend to forget while we sit behind our keyboards just how elite these players all are. We all joke about enforcers and such, but have you ever seen these guys skate? there phenomenal all of them, that being said with the contracts and Dmen the flyers have he has to be sent back down sadly, hopefully with a trade or two he can come back, i liked his game.

That barely readable outburst doesn't change the fact that playing against Sutter is a lot different than playing against Crosby. There was nothing in last night's game that suggested Manning should take MacDonald's spot in the lineup.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
That barely readable outburst doesn't change the fact that playing against Sutter is a lot different than playing against Crosby. There was nothing in last night's game that suggested Manning should take MacDonald's spot in the lineup.

He did play against Corsby and Malkin. He was playing on the PK and was out there multiple times against either Malkin or Crosby at ES.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island

uhhh no. Manning isn't the type of defensemen that should be playing against players like Crosby, FACT. but that doesn't mean he doesn't belong as a bottom pairing defensemen in the NHL. Also Macdonald wasn't signed to be a #5 or #6 guy, i never made the argument for Manning to take Macdonalds spot. All I did was acknowledge that manning looked good. Is this post readable? don't want you're Harvard eyes to see something that isn't up to par on a hockey forum.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Might as well figure out what you got with Manning. He's very good at the AHL level and still is of the age where it's not a foregone conclusion that he's not an NHL player.

I hope to see more of him as the season goes on.

A "very good" defenseman should play a responsible game and first and foremost defend well in his own zone.

Brandon Manning is a career minus in +/-, last season he put up 31 points and still ended up being a minus 24. Just a bad bounce? minus 28 in +/- the year before.
I understand that he's been playing on a ****** Phantoms team, but still...

He simply doesn't fit as a bottom pairing defenseman.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Uhhh no. Manning isn't the type of defensemen that should be playing against players like Crosby, FACT, but that doesn't mean he doesn't belong as a bottom pairing defensemen in the NHL. Also Macdonald wasn't signed to be a #5 or #6 guy. I never made the argument for Manning to take Macdonald's spot. All I did was acknowledge that Manning looked good. Is this post readable? Don't want your Harvard eyes to see something that isn't up to par on a hockey forum.

Grammar police here to help you.

Also Manning would be a fine 6th or 7th.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree Manning played well yesterday but as others have said, he was sheltered. I also agree that MacD isn't very good but he's better then Manning, that's not even debatable. He actually lead the team yesterday in TOI and he wasn't very noticeable. To make myself clear, that's not a bad thing considering he was up against Crosby for over 10 min and Malkin for almost 5.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I agree Manning played well yesterday but as others have said, he was sheltered. I also agree that MacD isn't very good but he's better then Manning, that's not even debatable. He actually lead the team yesterday in TOI and he wasn't very noticeable. To make myself clear, that's not a bad thing considering he was up against Crosby for over 10 min and Malkin for almost 5.

Not noticing someone on D in a 3-2 ot win against Pitt is not a bad thing. Especially with the addition of Perron, they are stacked and there is no question there. All our D played well and none were at fault for the goals, even the shorty. Streit is old no denying that, he isnt fast, kunitz is. MDZ was essentially playing a 3v1 best he could. No fault on him.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Yeah exactly! He is probably in the top 5% of best hockey players in the world! People totally forget that! The issue is that the league is filled with guys from the top 1% so even though he would dominate my mens league and make us all look like fool he still isn't good enough for the level he is trying to play.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

not that im against manning being on the roster as a 6th or 7th dman, but defending him by bringing up the fact that he's worlds better than the average joe who plays pickup hockey on weekends isn't really the best argument.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I like Manning. No reason not to, but right now he's a good defenseman in the 4th best league, which is still a very good league, but the NHL is the NHL. He's a pro hockey player. No one is knocking him for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->