Lauri Marjamäki - new head coach of team finland 2016-18

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Well he is the most promising coach from Finland and I hope he is ready for the job.

What concernes me is that he will be one year off from the national team's coach staff and then the first tournament for him will be the World Cup. Jalonen will be the coach next spring and Marjamäki next fall. This may have some negative influence when you compare it to a situation where Jalonen would first coach Finland in World Champs and right after that in WC. But I'm sure they have thought this out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well he is the most promising coach from Finland and I hope he is ready for the job.

What concernes me is that he will be one year off from the national team's coach staff and then the first tournament for him will be the World Cup. Jalonen will be the coach next spring and Marjamäki next fall. This may have some negative influence when you compare it to a situation where Jalonen would first coach Finland in World Champs and right after that in WC. But I'm sure they have thought this out.

Well we don't have any pressure to perform in the World Cup since it's just a glorified exhibition tournament. He also wanted to take this season off so he wouldn't be completely burned out and he'd get to be with his family more.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well we don't have any pressure to perform in the World Cup since it's just a glorified exhibition tournament.
This. It's pretty much a perfect starting point a coach could hope for. He gets to run a team consisting of the country's absolute best players and get known with them in games that go somewhat beyond simple scrimmages, but no one still won't really care at all what the final result is.

The main event of his tenure will be Pyeongchang - granted that the NHLers get to go - and he gets to have said "practice tournament" plus one WHC before he hits that venue.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Well i bet we all agree to agree that if Finland would surprisingly win the World Cup we would all be born again in heaven.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I dunno. While thinking that we can't win a proper best-on-best tournament to save our lives, but could win this dog and pony show... the first words that popped to my mind were "cruel irony".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->