Confirmed with Link: Laughton re-signed, 2 years $2.3 M AAV (Thread From 2019)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton now has 18 points in 38 games (all at ES), which would be 39 over 82 games. Unfortunately he has already missed 20 games thru injury. He averages 12:34 per game at ES after averaging 12:27 in 18-19. It really makes you wonder how so many people got the idea in their head that Laughton was a 4th liner at best.

NHL.com Stats

I think the Hartman trade showed us that Fletcher isn't attached to players like Hextall was.

Pitlick has 16 P (all at ES) in 52 GP getting 10:38 per game at ES.

Hartman has 14 P (13 ES, 1PP) in 57 GP getting 11:19 per game at ES.

Last edited:

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
When Scott Laughton is on your 4th line and on the PK then you are a legit contender. Imagine if Nolan Patrick, Lindblom were healthy with Frost and Farabee playing at their potential. The 4th line would contain Laughton. And the Flyers would be real hard to play against.

If Laughton had better hands he would have 20 goals already this year. I like Laughton in the proper role. But he is not a top 6 forward....sorry.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
When Scott Laughton is on your 4th line and on the PK then you are a legit contender. Imagine if Nolan Patrick, Lindblom were healthy with Frost and Farabee playing at their potential. The 4th line would contain Laughton. And the Flyers would be real hard to play against.

If Laughton had better hands he would have 20 goals already this year. I like Laughton in the proper role. But he is not a top 6 forward....sorry.

Oh, he is for sure not top 6. But he has shown he is an adequate 3rd line winger and a great 4C.

If Flyers were healthy:

Raffl-Laughton-Pitlick/NAK

4th line is arguably the best in the NHL, or at least top ~3.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fourth line has looked pretty good with Bunnaman since his return, I'm in no rush to push a 21 year old physical center who can skate to the bench.

Laughton actually looked effective as the 3C, not sure that's sustainable, but with JVR and Pitlick playing out of their heads right now, we'll see.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Laughton's currently rocking a shooting percentage of 20% at ES, so it's probably fair to say that his current production isn't an accurate snapshot of his real ability.

He's not a bad player, but he really shouldn't be in the top 9 unless he absolutely has to be.

I'd really like a 4th line of Raffl-Laughton-NAK.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Laughton's currently rocking a shooting percentage of 20% at ES, so it's probably fair to say that his current production isn't an accurate snapshot of his real ability.

He's not a bad player, but he really shouldn't be in the top 9 unless he absolutely has to be.

I'd really like a 4th line of Raffl-Laughton-NAK.

A 9% shooter at ES the last couple years shooting 20% is kind of important information. That JVR assist was a dandy last night, yes? Laughton's assist rate is identical to last season. Even if you half the goals, he's still producing like a fine 3rd liner, but it's very much worth mentioning.

Laughton is what he is: a guy who is more than capable of filling in as the 6th winger, but best case, he's your 4C/LW. 3C is where I start to get off-board. Doesn't make him a 4th line talent. I bet he'd love to play for Ottawa! But this season, minus Lindblom (and Laughton was injured for most of his games), he has the 6th most ES minutes/game on the team, though he's essentially tied with JVR and Farabee below him. He's been a top 9 forward all season.

He's not a playmaker, he's not an entry guy, he's not a play driver (-7 relxGF% this season; though his relTM stats aren't as bad, and I view him more as a breakeven, slightly negative guy). He generally finds a way to produce in elevated usage, but it's not exactly well-rounded scoring. Even the last few games, Pitlick and JVR have been the show. I'm far from anti-Scoot, but I'm not pumping his tires either. He's fine. I just don't get hung up on him one way or the other.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laughton has definitely improved, but the timing sucks.
Though it will be interesting with FAs, teams aren't going to want to sign them before the ED (unless they're elite or mediocre, that is worth protecting or unlikely to be chosen).
So you could see some "understandings" with the real negotiations after the ED.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Still getting incredibly lucky.

Shooting 20.62% and having more than double his expected goals is not sustainable, unless someone wants to argue he's one of the best snipers in the entire league?

That individual shooting % at ES is 3rd out of 377 forwards with at least 500 minutes played over the past two seasons.

Not to mention an on-ice shooting % of 13.41%.... 1st out of 377 forwards with at least 500 minutes played over the past two seasons.

Not that he's been bad, but he's not as good as the raw scoring total would suggest.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Still getting incredibly lucky.

Shooting 20.62% and having more than double his expected goals is not sustainable, unless someone wants to argue he's one of the best snipers in the entire league?

That individual shooting % at ES is 3rd out of 377 forwards with at least 500 minutes played over the past two seasons.

Not to mention an on-ice shooting % of 13.41%.... 1st out of 377 forwards with at least 500 minutes played over the past two seasons.

Not that he's been bad, but he's not as good as the raw scoring total would suggest.

Funny, when G was outscoring his xGF by a wide margin, never heard a peep about how that wasn't sustainable, then in 2019-20, oh, he's having bad puck luck. Yes, these things even out over time.

Even if Laughton only had 10 points instead of 15 in 21 games, he'd still be close to a 40 ES point pace.
I'd point out that TK has a 23.3 S%, which is clearly unsustainable as well. As are a few other players.
In fact, part of their recent struggles is probably just that regression to the mean.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
42 points (all ES) in his 70 games under this contract so far.

NHL Stats

If I had to pick between keeping Voracek and keeping Laughton this offseason, it's a very easy decision. Not that this is the scenario we are in, but if Jake is left exposed and taken by Seattle, they should consider re-signing Laughton if the price is right.

I fully expect Jake to still be here though and Laughton to get overpaid elsewhere.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laughton isn't as good as Jake, but he's more useful, he's become a top PK guy and can play both 3LW and 4C.

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad