Confirmed with Link: Laughton re-signed, 2 years $2.3 M AAV (Thread From 2019)

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No one did Striiker, and who said I was talking about you? Ok the turd polishing remark was a small shot at you.
But I still think many are blowing this deal way out of proportion
That’s fine, I don’t mind you taking some shots. :laugh: This is the internet, that’s like half of all activity on here. I give plenty so I have no problem taking them too.

And there will always be examples where a small few overreact to anything, but my point is that, for the most part, the critiques of this move have been extremely minor. My post that I linked is an example of that. It’s not a big deal, but I feel it’s slightly too much and I explained why.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Starting to get worried. 12.7 million with provorov and konecny left to be resigned and probably a player on an elc in the 3rd line rw spot.
Where are you getting these numbers from?

Cap friendly has them at 13.4 million in cap space.

Kurtis Gabriel will get waived and currently counts for 700k against their cap which will end up being swapped out with NAK who should be the 13th forward.

They don't need 8 D so once Provorov gets signed Hagg or Morin will probably be traded. If it's Hagg that is 1.1 million freed up which will give them an additional 200-300k in space along with an ELC forward who makes the team.

That leaves them 13.6 or 13.7 million to sign Provorov and Konecny. The two of them should combine for about 12 million, leaving them a cap cushion slightly north of 1.5 million. They will be just fine.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's a difference between paying market value, and feeling it's too much to pay for a player for this team, given the alternatives and the opportunity costs.

Market value is what it is, it's not set by the outliers, the one GM who overpays, or the player or two who accepts a discount for personal reasons. It's set by what most GMs would pay for that player, and that's best determined by what GMs paid for similar players.
Laughton got paid market value, similar to what a couple similar players received, far less than Donskoi who isn't that much better.

THIS year, Laughton is worth that price to the Flyers, Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe, etc. are unknowns. They may be ready for 3rd/4th line duty, or may need a half year to year in the AHL (i.e. if Frost won't be playing 12-13 minutes in Philly, he's best off in the AHL than 8-10 minutes on the 4th line).

Laughton becomes a security blanket, capable of playing 3LW at a respectable level, or moving down to 4LW or 4C and be one of the better 4th liners in the league, and one of our 4 top PK guys.

Next summer, depending on how the LHV kids perform both in the AHL and in callups, and his own performance, Fletcher may decide there's no room at the inn and it makes more sense to move him for a draft pick.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
There's a difference between paying market value, and feeling it's too much to pay for a player for this team, given the alternatives and the opportunity costs.

Market value is what it is, it's not set by the outliers, the one GM who overpays, or the player or two who accepts a discount for personal reasons. It's set by what most GMs would pay for that player, and that's best determined by what GMs paid for similar players.
Laughton got paid market value, similar to what a couple similar players received, far less than Donskoi who isn't that much better.

THIS year, Laughton is worth that price to the Flyers, Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe, etc. are unknowns. They may be ready for 3rd/4th line duty, or may need a half year to year in the AHL (i.e. if Frost won't be playing 12-13 minutes in Philly, he's best off in the AHL than 8-10 minutes on the 4th line).

Laughton becomes a security blanket, capable of playing 3LW at a respectable level, or moving down to 4LW or 4C and be one of the better 4th liners in the league, and one of our 4 top PK guys.

Next summer, depending on how the LHV kids perform both in the AHL and in callups, and his own performance, Fletcher may decide there's no room at the inn and it makes more sense to move him for a draft pick.
Agreed. Laughton actually played very well with Patrick and Lindblom on LW or Voracek on RW at different times. He's a good solid veteran player now, has speed, some skill, hits and is a PK leader. What's not to like? His cap his wouldn't be an issue at all, if Chuckles hadn't taken on cap for Gudas, signed Braun unnecessarily or wasted money on Hayes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher paid market value for Hayes (look at Lee, Nelson, Zuc, etc.). Market value for UFAs is too high, which is why I'm not in favor of building through the UFA market. But he was the best available player (guys like Duchene, EK, Panarin, were never options).

Braun is simply better than a lot of people suggest, Fletcher paid around market price in trade (look at cap, term and risk), maybe a slight overpay (compare to Miller and Subban, Braun is better than Miller, an overpaid career 3rd pair D-man and less risky than Subban's 3x9 and bad back). Braun is limited but a proven defensive defenseman, one of the best in the league in that role.

The $1M on the Niskanen trade was recouped in the Hartman trade. Pitlick & Niskanen >> Gudas and Hartman. And Simmonds got $5M.

You got to pay to play. Hayes is the only long-term liability added to the books, and he's 27 this season, compare to a 5 year deal for Zuc at age 32, and their numbers on the Rangers were pretty similar.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agreed. Laughton actually played very well with Patrick and Lindblom on LW or Voracek on RW at different times. He's a good solid veteran player now, has speed, some skill, hits and is a PK leader. What's not to like? His cap his wouldn't be an issue at all, if Chuckles hadn't taken on cap for Gudas, signed Braun unnecessarily or wasted money on Hayes.

It's still not an issue at all to be honest.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
LOL and people got pissed off at this deal, Colton Sissons just signed a 7 YEAR deal at 2.85 mil per. Getting Laughton who is essentially the same player at a 5 year shorter term and less money is awesome.

Reactions: Down2ClownAmac4Life

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
LOL and people got pissed off at this deal, Colton Sissons just signed a 7 YEAR deal at 2.85 mil per. Getting Laughton who is essentially the same player at a 5 year shorter term and less money is awesome.
Poile is starting to lose it and head towards Chia territory in recent moves. Traded for a cooked Simmonds. Trades away Subban. Then does this insane in length and money contract. He's no longer anywhere near a good GM.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I'd never give a bottom 6 guy a 7 year extension. That's dumb AF
Some of the guys are burried on deep teams and should definitely warrant that term. Vegas whole top6 from last year was depth players. I would have no qualms throwing 7 year deal at Lindblom or one of those Copp or Lehkonen types who have Zucker esque numbers before he broke out. But I agree never would have I signed someone with limited upside like Weise, Beagles, Reaves or Tanevs of the world to such contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fragmuffin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It seems to be working OK for them with Jarnkrok, but it is still a really weird deal for both player & team.

Reactions: SnS

General Joseph

Dec 25, 2017
Florida Panhandle
I have no problem whatsoever with this contract . Laughton plays a hard grinding game and i think he will be even more successful over the next few years . Glad we got him for 2 more years .

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Poile is starting to lose it and head towards Chia territory in recent moves. Traded for a cooked Simmonds. Trades away Subban. Then does this insane in length and money contract. He's no longer anywhere near a good GM.
Trading Subban & using the space to sign Duchene was a coup.

He stuck the Devils with a Trojan horse in Subban.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's worth the risk for NJ, b/c they're thin, have cap room and a bottom ten farm system.
But if Subban plays like last season, Braun is a better player - and back issues rarely go away.

Basically, Shero traded Johansen and Boyle for 2019 2nd rd pick sand traded a 2019 and 2020 for Subban.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Considering what NJ gave up, Subban is worth the risk for
Subban at this stage of his career is extraordinarily overrated — possibly the most overrated player in the entire NHL. And it’s not what was given up, it’s that he hogs a whopping $9M of your cap for the next THREE seasons. That’s a huge investment in one player, so he better be damn good. Subban is not nearly a $9M player anymore. Nashville would have given him away for nothing just to rid themselves of that anchor of a contract.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We will probably see Subban have a dead-cat bounce in his first season with NJ, but the next 2 after that will be problematic.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Subban at this stage of his career is extraordinarily overrated — possibly the most overrated player in the entire NHL. And it’s not what was given up, it’s that he hogs a whopping $9M of your cap for the next THREE seasons. That’s a huge investment in one player, so he better be damn good. Subban is not nearly a $9M player anymore. Nashville would have given him away for nothing just to rid themselves of that anchor of a contract.
NJ is in a position where they can afford to take a chance on a player like Subban

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If Niskanen and Braun are good gambles to trade for and play in your top 4, after two down seasons, I don't see what the problem is with Subban. I'm sure teams would have given him a worse contract than 3x9 if he were on the open market. The guy was a top 5 defenseman, if not top 3 defenseman, this time last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->