Confirmed with Link: Laughton re-signed, 2 years $2.3 M AAV (Thread From 2019)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We needed to sign Laughton. Fletcher did so and didn't overpay him so what's with all the 'meh' talk?

Seriously, what do some of you guys think that GMs do?

"Hey Scott, I'm going to offer you 1.5 million dollars AND ten <dramatic flourish> coupons for a free entree on an order of $25 or more at Denny's. So, let's just get your signature right here!"

Your guess is as good as mine. Apparently, players are not supposed to get paid market value when they are up for a new contract.

Reactions: Juicy Pop

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Laughton has been on an upwards trajectory the past 2 seasons. It's not the exact same scenario as Provorov where he was really good for 2 then took a step back in his contract year. That makes Provy a little less predictable. His previous contributions AND his role going forward and what they think he is capable of will all be a factor, but I am sure he cost himself some money with the season he just had.

2015-2016
71 games
21 points
10:26 per game

2017-2018
81 games
20 points
11:07 per game

2018-2019
82 games
32 points
14:51 per game, often on the 3rd line

Now next year he's almost certainly going to be back down in the 10min per game range because he'll be on the 4th line, behind a legit top line and basically two 2nd lines. If he's playing near as much as last year, then the coaching staff is screwing up. So, based on our best guess of next years roster, his scoring projects to go back down to the 20 point range, which means production and usage similar to Raffl (who wasn't even a RFA), who just got $1.6m per year. So the right cap hit would've probably been somewhere between that cap hit and $2m.

So, despite the endless overreacting and complaining about any tiny critique, there is actual thought and logic behind what we're saying. There's no conspiracy here. Even if you disagree with the conclusion, you can't act like they're unfair criticisms pulled out of thin air.

I also further explained my mindset on the signing in these two posts...

Meh, a little much, but I'm Laughtons biggest fan so I'm not too worried about it.

For reference, his two most common linemates last year were Raffl and Simmonds, so the 32 points definitely isn't bad. Problem is, I don't know if he can repeat that number and he's almost certainly seeing less usage next year.

Yeah, based on raw context-less totals it seems fair, but even my love of the guy can't trick me into thinking that'll be his consistent level of production.

Not only should he not be on the 3rd line anymore, but our improved depth (basically having 2 2nd lines) should mean the 4th line plays less than it did.

If this were an isolated incident it wouldn't even be mentioned, but the fact that this is becoming a trend is what's worrisome. I'm just becoming more and more afraid of this Provorov contract because as Fletchers sample size gets larger, we can make a better guess on what his future moves will look like.

People keep saying "it's just x-amount!"... but it adds up fast. Everything matters.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2015-2016
71 games
21 points
10:26 per game

2017-2018
81 games
20 points
11:07 per game

2018-2019
82 games
32 points
14:51 per game, often on the 3rd line

Now next year he's almost certainly going to be back down in the 10min per game range because he'll be on the 4th line, behind a legit top line and basically two 2nd lines. If he's playing near as much as last year, then the coaching staff is screwing up. So, based on what we know, his scoring projects to go back down to the 20 point range, which means production and usage similar to Raffl (who wasn't even a RFA), who just got $1.6m per year. So the right cap hit would've probably been somewhere between that cap hit and $2m.

So, despite the endless overreacting and complaining about any tiny critique, there is actual thought and logic behind what we're saying. There's no conspiracy here.

I also further explained my mindset on the signing in these two posts...

Even if he spends most of the season on the 4th line and pots 20 points, he is still worth $2.3. He can slot anywhere in the lineup and will be on the PK.

Plus, they would not be able to get him to agree to take less than his worth just because they may be reducing his role. He would just go to arbitration and get awarded his market value..which is right around $2.3 based on comps.

Not worth getting up in arms over.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Plus, they would not be able to get him to agree to take less than his worth just because they may be reducing his role. He would just go to arbitration and get awarded his market value..which is right around $2.3 based on comps.
Right. I don't particularly like paying Laughton over $2M, but this is absolutely correct. The Flyers didn't really have any alternatives. Hell, maybe he'll play well, though I don't like his defense. If he doesn't fit what AV wants, they'll trade him.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you want a good team, you have to have depth.
That means 3rd line quality guys on the 4th line, not 4th line quality guys on the 3rd line.
Depth costs money, one reason you need guys on ELCs is to afford the RFA and UFA contracts you'll have to pay.

Laughton could play on the 3rd line as the LW and put up 30-35 points or more and 2 minutes a night on the PK.
Donskoi had 27 and 34 ES points the last two seasons, playing 13:19 and 12:47 TOI at ES.
Donskoi just got 4x3.9M.
Laughton had 30 ES points playing 12:26 a night.
Donskoi is better than Laughton, but not nearly as much as his contract.

If Laughton is forced to play on the fourth b/c a couple prospects step up, same way Hayes moving to RW b/c Frost and Patrick are 2C caliber players, it doesn't make it an overpay, it just means the Flyers are really, really deep.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Even if he spends most of the season on the 4th line and pots 20 points, he is still worth $2.3. He can slot anywhere in the lineup and will be on the PK.

Not worth getting up in arms over.
Then it’s a good thing I didn’t get up in arms over it. ;)

As I said to start:
“Meh, a little much, but I'm not too worried about it.”

Anyone who wants to police reactions should be focused on the reactions in response to the critiques. As if pointing out it’s a little too much was some vicious attack on poor ol’ Fletcher.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Not happy:

Hayes contract - primarily NTC
Braun
Yeo and Therrien

Happy:
AV
Draft

Meh:
Sanheim deal
Niskanen
Essentially everything else

He’s not been horrific, but he’s no genius either. So far he’s kind of an average GM in my eyes. Curious what he does going forward.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not happy:

Braun
Yeo and Therrien

Happy:
AV
Draft

Meh:
Sanheim deal
Niskanen

He’s not been horrific, but he’s no genius either. So far he’s kind of an average GM in my eyes. Curious what he does going forward.
Congrats. You've now been labeled an Irrational Fletcher Hater!

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
no, I just think there are posters looking for a fight or a response. Some of the reactions to the Laughton deal have been laughable. And no Striiker I am not umm "turd polishing" anything. There are some things Fletcher has done that I did not agree with and some that I have liked.
if that makes me a "turd polisher" then whatever man.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Congrats. You've now been labeled an Irrational Fletcher Hater!

Meh. I’m a pessimist when it comes to this team. Fan since the early 2000s. The glory years of old mean jack shit to me. f*** the alumni this team desperately tries to market. They know along with Gritty, it’s all they have - it’s why the desperate push to compete immediately.

What have they given me in the last 10 years to make me believe in anything other than dwindle further into irrelevance and mediocrity? I’m not the only one, and ticket sales reflect this.

Due to some archaic egotistical belief that this franchise is too proud to properly rebuild instead of “retool”.

f*** em. Ironically, I am low key excited about next year. I do hope he does well. We shall see.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
no, I just think there are posters looking for a fight or a response. Some of the reactions to the Laughton deal have been laughable. And no Striiker I am not umm "turd polishing" anything. There are some things Fletcher has done that I did not agree with and some that I have liked.

Sometimes I chuckle out of that phrase. I picture a caveman trying to polish his own turd.

In all seriousness though. If any of you boys have turds. Eat more veggies and drink more water. Healthy bowels are important.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who says I was referring to you?

But what you are guilty of is assuming that what you said in your first sentence is correct, because it's very clearly not. In fact, it's the opposite. If I make a post specifically taking about the deal, responding to nobody, I'll still get angry responses. That's what "looking for a fight" looks like.

If you read my post above, you can very clearly see my reasoning for my opinion on the contract.
Confirmed with Link: - Laughton re-signed, 2 years $2.3 M AAV

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
We needed to sign Laughton. Fletcher did so and didn't overpay him so what's with all the 'meh' talk?

Wait, so now it is bad to be "meh" about something too? We have to be enthusiastic no matter what?

no, I just think there are posters looking for a fight or a response. Some of the reactions to the Laughton deal have been laughable.

Which ones have been "laughable"?

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Wait, so now it is bad to be "meh" about something too? We have to be enthusiastic no matter what?

Which ones have been "laughable"?

I’ll throw something out. Maybe it’s because I have to work today and it’s gorgeous outside.

Nothing personal because I haven’t seen it on this site. I think the hypersensitivity to anything negative about this franchise comes from a fear of realizing just how far they have fallen. What a sack of shit and near laughing stock they have become, hanging on with their fingernails to the glory days/respect of old.

I’ve long thought we are in a modern day Sundin era, with Giroux being our Sundin. Maybe the kids prove me wrong and can raise this team above perpetual mediocrity.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I’ll throw something out. Maybe it’s because I have to work today and it’s gorgeous outside.

Nothing personal because I haven’t seen it on this site. I think the hypersensitivity to anything negative about this franchise comes from a fear of realizing just how far they have fallen. What a sack of **** and near laughing stock they have become, hanging on with their fingernails to the glory days/respect of old.

I think it comes from illiteracy.

Reactions: Starat327

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I think it comes from illiteracy.

Again, I haven’t seen it here. There is another site where that kind of thinking is rampant.

For shits and giggles. I posted a photo of a burning bicycle after Holmgren was fired/role change. Got a 3 month ban from good old fanboy Bill Meltzer. Who has done nothing but drool over Holmgren for the last few days.

Living in the glory days is all he knows.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pot calling the kettles black.

The negativity has been grossly disproportionate.
We knew Fletcher was going to make some win now moves, HE WAS HIRED WITH THAT MANDATE.
But he didn't sell the beet farm, he didn't move out certain people's favorites, he didn't mortgage the future.
The biggest fault is he didn't pull off any Hextall "steals," but Hextall also wasn't worried about winning games, but winning deals.

So the quibbling comes down to some really minor issues and some hot takes (Braun is as bad as Hagg, Fletcher is grossly overpaying people despite market comparables for every deal, etc.).

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Not happy:

Braun
Yeo and Therrien

Happy:
AV
Draft

Meh:
Sanheim deal
Niskanen

These are all fair imo.

I liked the Niskanen deal tho and Sanheim is a great bridge but I would of preferred a 7 yr deal.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I’d at least like to see people temper their reactions with a quick evaluation.

Ask yourself, “Would I be happier with 7M more cap and a spot for Patrick at 2C again? Would I be happier if we moved on from Laughton instead of giving him his due?” I’m not telling you how to answer that, just to consider.

Reactions: Rebels57

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Who says I was referring to you?

But what you are guilty of is assuming that what you said in your first sentence is correct, because it's very clearly not. In fact, it's the opposite. If I make a post specifically taking about the deal, responding to nobody, I'll still get angry responses. That's what "looking for a fight" looks like.

If you read my post above, you can very clearly see my reasoning for my opinion on the contract.
Confirmed with Link: - Laughton re-signed, 2 years $2.3 M AAV

No one did Striiker, and who said I was talking about you? Ok the turd polishing remark was a small shot at you.
But I still think many are blowing this deal way out of proportion

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad