Latvia: Latvian prospects

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I bet nobody has enough evidence to answer you as he plays very limited minutes for NT and for a very obscure NCAA team.

Generally I would say he has no NHL upside because otherwise he would play a much bigger role in the national team being few months away from 23 birthday. But I think he might play in the AHL for some time since he chose to move to NA.

I think he as well is skeptical about his chances of making a living in hockey. Or at least that's how I chose to interpret the fact, that he was prepared to sit out almost a full season just to go to college.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
If anyone missed it, Edgars Kulda won the Memorial Cup MVP title! :)

It's more than magnificent.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
If anyone missed it, Edgars Kulda won the Memorial Cup MVP title! :)

It's more than magnificent.

Good for him!

He's improved very rapidly since his first season in NA. He'll almost certainly be drafted this year and I really think he could end up having a progression like Ondrej Palat did. The team that selects him could get a real gem.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Good for him!

He'll almost certainly be drafted this year and I really think he could end up having a progression like Ondrej Palat did. The team that selects him could get a real gem.

That would be insane.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Hoping to see a record in terms of the number of Latvian draftees in the NHL this year. Or at least a tied all-time record, which currently stands at 3. :)

Kulda, Merzlikins, Bukarts, Jevpalovs, Punnenovs, Lipsbergs would be the more realistic candidates, but there's a bunch of others as well.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Hoping to see a record in terms of the number of Latvian draftees in the NHL this year. Or at least a tied all-time record, which currently stands at 3. :)

Kulda, Merzlikins, Bukarts, Jevpalovs, Punnenovs, Lipsbergs would be the more realistic candidates, but there's a bunch of others as well.

I think the first 3 on your list will be drafted for sure. After that, it's unlikely that any of the others listed get selected.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I think the first 3 on your list will be drafted for sure. After that, it's unlikely that any of the others listed get selected.

Have to disagree on this one Punnenovs is about the same level as Merzlikins yet people somehow place him way higher. I`ve seen enough from both goalies to say they are pretty equal.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
It will be "disappointing" two draftees, because I think the only way how Bukarts get drafted is if he pulls a Kulda next year. Lipsbergs of course looks like NA destined player, but not sure his hustle is enough to make the big league eventually any more than Daugavins did.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Former U18 Latvian defender Ģirts Zemītis has signed with Danish Herlev.
Good to see some more Latvians in Denmark..... [it makes it two with Ervīns Muštukovs, that will play for Aalborg]

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Looks like we might have a one decent D prospect in the pipeline,huh?

I really hope so, it looks good!

According to some fans of Västerås, he didn't play the whole game, but the head coach of Västerås called his performance flawless! Looking good!

Side note: Rubins was the third youngest ever to play for Västerås. One month older than Mikael Backlund of the Calgary Flames, but younger than Nicklas Lidström and St. Louis Blues' Patrik Berglund, who all played junior hockey for Västerås!

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
So 6 games for Rubīns in Allsevnskan and no points yet. If hes any good he should start producing at some point.

The team plays really **** at the moment. They're is 2nd from last place (their goal is promotion to the SHL this season) and barely scores any goals, so I still have faith in Rubins. Even though he hasn't played the last two games, he has been one of our best defenders defensively this season. He's very calm and solid, using his body and stick with excellence! :handclap:

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Whats the deal with Belcers?

How good is he?

12 points in 20 games in Norway league as a 17 year old, looks great to me. But is it?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
12 points in 20 games in Norway league as a 17 year old, looks great to me. But is it?

Some guy from the same draft class Martin Gran is doing the same thing (25g, 17p) and it doesn't seem like anybody considers him to be some kind of major new Norwegian talent albeit he's half-a-year older.

A legit major offensive talent (I suppose he's a skill player considering his size is nothing to write home about) should be able to burst into the spotlight at 16 in the leagues like that much like Bjorkstrand did in Denmark. So I'd say Balcers' stats look pretty good, not exceptionally great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->