Latvian National Team Discussion(Mens,u-20,u-18)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The only good think about Freibergs' suspension is that he had plenty of time to workout with strength and conditioning coaches at Bowling Green. Many months to work on speed, strength etc the only thing to worry about will be his conditioning especially at a higher level than hes used to playing at. Large difference between NCAA and top European leagues/NHL and he only played in 8 games at the NCAA level to boot, but USA does it often and their kids play pretty good, so hopefully he shows well.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Tambījevs will continue as a u-20 coach **** **** **** YOU TAMBĪJEVS YOU CAN GO TO HELL,**** GODDAMNIT.

He's a normal coach. And anyway the results of U20 are not the most important thing, more importantly the guys coached by him get drafted and turn out to be quite decent prospects (Gudļevskis, IndraÅ¡is, Porejs, Jakovļevs, Upītis, CHL drafted guys...).

I honestly don't understand the bad press he gets. Sure, there was the KļaviņÅ¡' case but let's say it's not crystal clear and certainly Tambijevs point of view is not without merit. And let's face it, last year there were simply 9 more talented teams in the WJC.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
So, what will the Latvian Olympic team look like?

I'd say:

Goalies:
Masalskis
Gudlevskis

Defense:
Kulda
Bartulis
Pujacs
Sotnieks
Kr. Redlihs
Ozolins (?)
Galvins (Freibergs?)

Forwards:

Darzins- Sprukts- M. Redlihs
Indrasis - Girgensons - Kenins
Jekimovs - Dzerins- Cipulis
Meija- Pavlovs- Jass

Maksims

Jan 29, 2013
I'd say:

Goalies:
Masalskis
Gudlevskis

Defense:
Kulda
Bartulis
Pujacs
Sotnieks
Kr. Redlihs
Ozolins (?)
Galvins (Freibergs?)

Forwards:

Meija- Pavlovs- Jass

Gudlevskis
Masalskis
Merzlikins (Punnenovs)

Kulda-Bartulis
Galvins-K.Redlihs
Ozolins-Pujacs
Sotnieks-Cibulskis
(Freibergs)

Darzins-Girgensons-Indrasis
Karsums-Sprukts-M.Redlihs
Kenins-Dzerins-Daugavins
Nizivijs-Pavlovs-Cipulis
(Rob.Bukarts,Jekimovs-Kuzmenkovs-Meija,Skvorcovs)

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Gudlevskis
Masalskis
Merzlikins (Punnenovs)

Kulda-Bartulis
Galvins-K.Redlihs
Ozolins-Pujacs
Sotnieks-Cibulskis
(Freibergs)

Darzins-Girgensons-Indrasis
Karsums-Sprukts-M.Redlihs
Kenins-Dzerins-Daugavins
Nizivijs-Pavlovs-Cipulis
(Rob.Bukarts,Jekimovs-Kuzmenkovs-Meija,Skvorcovs)

No...just no. Replace Ņiživijs with Jekimovs or Meija and it makes more sense.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I'd say:

Goalies:
Masalskis
Gudlevskis

Defense:
Kulda
Bartulis
Pujacs
Sotnieks
Kr. Redlihs
Ozolins (?)
Galvins (Freibergs?)

Forwards:

Meija- Pavlovs- Jass

Hard to see Ozolins not suiting up for this one as well as a last horrah. Unfortunately, so will Nizivijs. If everyone is healthy our D looks adequate enough, though our bottom six forwards will probably look amazingly out of depth if we will try to "play" hockey.

Our offense will change massively in next four years after Sochi judging by our prospects in late teens.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Hard to see Ozolins not suiting up for this one as well as a last horrah. Unfortunately, so will Nizivijs. If everyone is healthy our D looks adequate enough, though our bottom six forwards will probably look amazingly out of depth if we will try to "play" hockey.

Our offense will change massively in next four years after Sochi judging by our prospects in late teens.

and now I notice that I'm missing Daugavins in the roster...

And Merzļikins is off to a good season in NLA, so perhaps he can also enter the competition. His age might be a concern perhaps, as Olympics is more of a show for more seasoned players... but well it might depend on what we have in terms of goaltending early winter.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I know this is a major junior league, but Robert Lipsbergs has 10 goals in 13 games for the Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL here in the states. Could he possibly get a look?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad