Lativian Long List Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
G Arturs Irbe Riga 2000 (Latvia)

G Edgars Masalskis Neftjanik Almetyevsk (Russia)

G Ervin Mustukovs Liepajas Metalurgs (Latvia)

G Sergejs Naumovs Khimik Voskresensk (Russia)

G Martins Raitums Riga 2000 (Latvia)

G Peter Skudra CSKA Moscow (Russia)

G Dmitrijs Zabotinskis Liepajas Metalurgs (Latvia)

D Kaspars Astasenko Khimik Voskresensk (Russia)

D Oskars Bartulis Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)

D Mikhails Bogdanovs Liepajas Metalurgs (Latvia)

D Igors Bondarevs Amur Khabarovsk (Russia)

D Sergejs Durdins Danbury Thrashers (UHL)

D Vents Feldmanis Liepajas Metalurgs (Latvia)

D Guntis Galvins Riga 2000 (Latvia)

D Viktors Ignatjevs EHC Black Wings Linz (Austria)

D Aleksandrs Jerofejevs Roanoke Vipers (UHL)

D Rodrigo Lavins Brynäs IF (Sweden)

D Sandis Ozolinsh Anaheim Mighty Ducks

D Georgjis Pujacs Riga 2000 (Latvia)

D Jekabs Redlihs Boston University Terriers (NCAA)

D Krisjanis Redlihs Albany River Rats (AHL)

D Arvids Rekis Augsburg Panthers (Germany)

D Agris Saviels Riga 2000 (Latvia)

D Normunds Sejejs Riga 2000 (Latvia)

D Karlis Skrastins Colorado Avalanche

D Olegs Sorokins Riga 2000 (Latvia)

D Atvars Tribuncovs Mora IK (Sweden)

F Artis Abols Riga 2000 (Latvia)

F Girts Ankipans Riga 2000 (Latvia)

F Armands Berzins Riga 2000 (Latvia)

F Viktors Blinovs Sport Vaasa (Finland)

F Edijs Brahmanis Nottingham Panthers (Britain)

F Aigars Cipruss Riga 2000 (Latvia)

F Martins Cipulis Riga 2000 (Latvia)

F Sergejs Cubars Herlev IC (Denmark)

F Lauris Darzins Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

F Kaspars Daugavins Riga 2000 (Latvia)

F Vjaceslavs Fanduls ASK Ogre (Latvia)

F Valerjis Filimonovs Liepajas Metalurgs (Latvia)

F Vitalijs Galuzo Riga 2000 (Latvia)

F Raitis Ivanans Montreal Canadiens

F Martins Karsums Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)

F Aleksandrs Kercs Khimik Voskresensk (Russia)

F Aleksandrs Macijevskis Odense IK (Denmark)

F Vladimirs Mamonovs Liepajas Metalurgs (Latvia)

F Aleksandrs Nizivijs Torpedo Nizhny-Novgorod (Russia)

F Juris Ozols Liepajas Metalurgs (Latvia)

F Grigorijs Pantelejevs HK Dimitrov (Russia)

F Mikelis Redlihs Björklöven IF (Sweden)

F Vadims Romanovskis Torun THK (Poland)

F Kaspars Saulietis Riga 2000 (Latvia)

F Aleksandrs Semjonovs IFK Arboga (Sweden)

F Aleksejs Sirokovs Kapitan Stupino (Russia)

F Janis Sprukts HPK Hämeenlinna (Finland)

F Juris Stals Latvian National Team

F Leonids Tambijevs EHC Olten (Switzerland)

F Herberts Vasiljevs Krefeld Penguins (Germany)

F Maris Ziedins Greenville Grrrowl (ECHL)

Does anyone have the lists for Germany and Kazakhstan?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
ferns8916 said:
Latvia is going to take a brutal beating.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. They always play better than the sum of their parts, partly because they have probably the most passionate fans in the world. That's the reason they played well at the 2005 Worlds, and that's the reason such a small country is getting the chance to host the 2006 Worlds.

Obviously, they won't dethrone Canada, but I think if any team is capable of pulling Belarus 2002 type results, it is Latvia.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
ferns8916 said:
Latvia is going to take a brutal beating.

Have you followed international hockey lately? A team like Italy or France would be in for a proper beating but Latvia is at a different level. I'd say they are comparable to Germany and Switzerland, if not better. Yes, they do lack in the proven top end talent department, but they generally play very well as a team. Still shouldn't be a problem for a team like Canada, but you never know.

joe_shannon_1983*

Boucicaut said:
Have you followed international hockey lately? A team like Italy or France would be in for a proper beating but Latvia is at a different level. I'd say they are comparable to Germany and Switzerland, if not better. Yes, they do lack in the proven top end talent department, but they generally play very well as a team. Still shouldn't be a problem for a team like Canada, but you never know.

I know Latvia is a cut above countries like Italy or France. But you have to admit that Latvia might be in line for at least a couple of 8-0 and 9-1 games. Even Belarus took a couple of beatings in the last Olympics, and I put Belarus of 2002 and Latvia of 2006 at around the same level.

It would be nice to see Canada play Latvia, however, I do not think that this will happen since I think they may be in different divisions during the round robin portion.

We will get to see Canada pound Italy though.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
ferns8916 said:

:cry: Sad but true.

Lets hope Muzzatti can keep a GAA below 8 in this tournament. Most of the goals wont be his fault.

Canada will wipe the floor with the Azzurri.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
ferns8916 said:
I know Latvia is a cut above countries like Italy or France. But you have to admit that Latvia might be in line for at least a couple of 8-0 and 9-1 games. Even Belarus took a couple of beatings in the last Olympics, and I put Belarus of 2002 and Latvia of 2006 at around the same level.

It would be nice to see Canada play Latvia, however, I do not think that this will happen since I think they may be in different divisions during the round robin portion.

Of course I may be wrong here, but I have a feeling that Latvia won't get pounded that badly. It might happen if they have to play back to back games though.

Blowouts are boring so lets not hope for those. Unfortunately the playing format is what it is.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Slitty said:
Ozolinsh is from and plays for Belarus. Latvia has nobody, and will be destroyed most games.

Ozo plays for Latvia and has always played for them (although I think he played for the USSR as a junior).

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
What's are you guys talking about?! Ozolinsh is Latvian!

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/show_player.cgi?serial=10508

About Latvia having nobody. They do have some NHL-ers, they do have Irbe who will probably play like he's from some other planet, he will definitely raise his game to a higher level (I've never seen anyone being so passionate about the national team) and they have a great team-spirit!

After big 7 they have the strongest team. I don't expect to see any of 8-0, 9-1 results, although they are of course possible.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I nearly don't know any latvian guys, they're being compared with BLR, but...

If Raitis Ivanans makes this team, they aren't on par with BLR.

If he makes this team, they may be on par.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
C'mon guys.

Ozolinsh, arguably Latvia's best player would not make at least Russia's and Canada's team. (I do not know enough about the other teams to solidly affirm the same statement for them, but I believe this is the case for other team).

When your best guy is worse than your opponent's wrose guy... admit it, you're in for a stomping.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Slitty said:
C'mon guys.

Ozolinsh, arguably Latvia's best player would not make at least Russia's and Canada's team. (I do not know enough about the other teams to solidly affirm the same statement for them, but I believe this is the case for other team).

When your best guy is worse than your opponent's wrose guy... admit it, you're in for a stomping.

Not necessarily. This is a TEAM sport after all. If the team plays a disciplined defensive game, they may fare pretty well against teams that are far superior on paper.

Edit: I am not even sure that Ozolinsh would not make those two teams. I think he might have a pretty good shot at team Russia anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->