Latest TSN article very luke warm on liklihood of a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vast Ant Dioi

Jun 16, 2003
Xunantunich
thenewnhl.blogspot.com
Very well could be covering their asses. The media has been way to confident in rumors throughout this lockout; if both sides come out tomorrow saying "no progress", "the lines of communication remain open", or "significant philosophical differences", TSN would have its pants around its ankles. They have a reputation to "maintain" as a credible media source and they've definitely leaned towards the rumor monger status lately.

I wouldn't say TSNs lukewarm latest has anything to do with the status of the negotiations, one way or the other.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I think that it was definetly over played by the media and this is just a attempt to cool the media engines, there is too much at stake not to get the deal done, including possbily losing ESPN as a national broadcaster. If ESPN ever sever ties with the league then the league will become even a smaller blimp than anyone could ever imagine on the USA map.

The only concern that I have is if there is a small splinter group of owners who rather not play the season and are causing problems. If I'm correct they only need eight teams to dissent on any deal.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Vast Ant Dioi said:
Very well could be covering their asses. The media has been way to confident in rumors throughout this lockout; if both sides come out tomorrow saying "no progress", "the lines of communication remain open", or "significant philosophical differences", TSN would have its pants around its ankles. They have a reputation to "maintain" as a credible media source and they've definitely leaned towards the rumor monger status lately.

I couldn't agree less. Sportsnet is a joke, as is the FAN590. TSN takes it pretty seriously though-they don't report stuff that they don't believe to be true. McKenzie was around here the other day, and I suspect he was snickering a bit as he typed, discussing the Sportsnet rumour from Wednesday. I believe his words were that "it wasn't even true this morning."

Jazz

Lou is God said:
...The only concern that I have is if there is a small splinter group of owners who rather not play the season and are causing problems. If I'm correct they only need eight teams to dissent on any deal.
They only need 8 if Bettman does not recommend a deal - if he does recommend it, then simple majority (16) rules.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It gets even worse. Now the TSN headline is "Deal still a longshot".

Seriously what the hell is wrong with the media, the NHL and the NHLPA?! I've never been so jerked around in my life. You can't trust any sources these days!!

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Gurj said:
They only need 8 if Bettman does not recommend a deal - if he does recommend it, then simple majority (16) rules.

I was just counting and I think they probably have 15 votes which are pretty certain and they just need a couple of votes from the fringe teams: calgary, edmonton, anaheim, la, atlanta, nashville <-- one of these teams is going to have to vote for hockey for there to be a good chance to have a deal done

i'm pretty sure the following teams will accept but may be short by one or two votes(17 teams listed, if all vote yes season is saved because only 16 votes needed):
CBJ - Doug MacLean said that he only needs a cap to remain competitive, he doesn't have to spend towards it
OTT - Melnyk I don't think would risk the backlash and since Ottawa is close to Toronto/Montreal they are probably feeling the pressure from the media
NYI - Charles Wang said he'd accept $45
DAL - Tom Hicks said he'd accept it
PHO/PIT - brokering the deal, obvious
TOR/DET/PHI/COL/NYR - powerhouses will want to play
NJ - Lou Lamorello has control over the payroll, he doesn't need a low cap
MTL - too much love of the game here
SJ - up and coming team, they'll want to play
VAN - competitive team that could handle a $45 cap (its actually better because it might give them a chance to keep all their players while speculation was if they went for a $42.5 cap, they might need to get rid of a star or two a few years down the road), they'll want to play
STL - good hockey market, they'll want to play
MIN - centre of hockey in USA, they have their budget under control, and were profitable so they'll want to play
-----

- the only way EDM will vote for it is if Gretzky calls up kevin lowe and ownership and puts on the pressure.
- CGY has a lot of passion for the game, but i'm pretty sure they wanted a lower cap so that there would be no chance of inflation and Iginla would be guaranteed to stay.. so they will probably be on the fence

5 ownerships are considered to be the driving force behind negative talks:
BOS/CHI/FLA/TB/CAR

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
bcrt2000 said:
I was just counting and I think they probably have 15 votes which are pretty certain and they just need a couple of votes from the fringe teams: calgary, edmonton, anaheim, la, atlanta, nashville <-- one of these teams is going to have to vote for hockey for there to be a good chance to have a deal done

i'm pretty sure the following teams will accept but may be short by one or two votes(17 teams listed, if all vote yes season is saved because only 16 votes needed):
CBJ - Doug MacLean said that he only needs a cap to remain competitive, he doesn't have to spend towards it
OTT - Melnyk I don't think would risk the backlash and since Ottawa is close to Toronto/Montreal they are probably feeling the pressure from the media
NYI - Charles Wang said he'd accept $45
DAL - Tom Hicks said he'd accept it
PHO/PIT - brokering the deal, obvious
TOR/DET/PHI/COL/NYR - powerhouses will want to play
NJ - Lou Lamorello has control over the payroll, he doesn't need a low cap
MTL - too much love of the game here
SJ - up and coming team, they'll want to play
VAN - competitive team that could handle a $45 cap (its actually better because it might give them a chance to keep all their players while speculation was if they went for a $42.5 cap, they might need to get rid of a star or two a few years down the road), they'll want to play
STL - good hockey market, they'll want to play
MIN - centre of hockey in USA, they have their budget under control, and were profitable so they'll want to play
-----

- the only way EDM will vote for it is if Gretzky calls up kevin lowe and ownership and puts on the pressure.
- CGY has a lot of passion for the game, but i'm pretty sure they wanted a lower cap so that there would be no chance of inflation and Iginla would be guaranteed to stay.. so they will probably be on the fence

BOS/CHI/FLA/TB/CAR

You make a very good point. Thanks! However I am a bit uncertain about Phoenix. Gretzky has denied beeing involved as late as yesterday. Mario and TGO have talked but its only SuperM who is flying to NY.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
They did the same thing on one of the radio stations (mojo, can't remember the station #) last night. But they were trying to figure out who the 8 would be. I think they named the possibilities being Chicago, Carolina, Edmonton, Anaheim, Florida, Washington, Ottawa and Boston. They were just speculating and ended up naming 10 (I think Nashville and Atlanta were the others), because there was something saying 20 teams would accept the $42.5 cap. If I'm remembering correctly.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Ola said:
You make a very good point. Thanks! However I am a bit uncertain about Phoenix. Gretzky has denied beeing involved as late as yesterday. Mario and TGO have talked but its only SuperM who is flying to NY.

where did Gretzky deny it yesterday? he denied it Thursday night, but last night TSN, Sportsnet were both reporting Gretzky is in New York and no one has disputed that in the last 12 hours or so that Gretzky and Lemieux were meeting last night in a preliminary meeting to see if a season can be played and then use today to hammer out a deal

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
i remember gretzky denying it earlier in the day friday, but since then who knows

i keep forgetting he and mario are actually owners

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Don't know if Phil Bourque's quotes have been posted yet, here they are:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/02/19/sections/sports/sports/article_414980.php

"The deal is done," former NHL left wing and current Pittsburgh Penguins radio analyst Phil Bourque said Friday night. "There will be an announcement tomorrow (today)."

While media reports in Canada late Friday suggested an agreement is imminent, Bourque cited another contact.

"I have an incredibly reliable source that has been giving me inside information from players, agents, owners, arena workers," Bourque said.

"I'm dead-set convinced."

Bourque is a former Pittsburgh teammate of Penguins player-owner Mario Lemieux, and he said he skated with Lemieux recently, although Bourque said the two had not spoken Friday.

Lemieux and fellow Hall of Fame player Wayne Gretzky, now part owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, reportedly played major roles in getting the sides together.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
McDonald19, I was going to read that article, but got discouraged when it required registration. Thanks for posting. Optimism is on the rise again...

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Aw man, I went to sleep last night feeling so optimistic again, but now I have to temper it and see what happens. It's hard to believe that SO many media outlets, including some that don't cover hockey otherwise, picked up and ran with incorrect or exaggerated information. If they can't work out a deal, this whole situation is just going to keep looking worse for the NHL... and after the "cancellation" announcement, they'd almost have to try to get it any worse.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Vast Ant Dioi said:

I wouldn't say TSNs lukewarm latest has anything to do with the status of the negotiations, one way or the other.
Exactly. TSN will look better if they are wrong about the dead-on announcement, than to report it and it end up being false.

Just better to Ere on the side of caution. Plus, we gotta look at sources that would discredit. NHL, PA, some players who may be out of the loop and also asked to stay hush about this. All-in-all, i'm going with Panger on this, who has put Eklund's predicting to an f'n shame with his spot-on knowledge of this resuscitation.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
bcrt2000 said:
BOS/CHI/FLA/TB/CAR

I wouldn't be so sure that Tampa Bay wouldn't vote to ratify.

Flyers Hockey

Feb 17, 2005
darkboy said:
Aw man, I went to sleep last night feeling so optimistic again, but now I have to temper it and see what happens. It's hard to believe that SO many media outlets, including some that don't cover hockey otherwise, picked up and ran with incorrect or exaggerated information. If they can't work out a deal, this whole situation is just going to keep looking worse for the NHL... and after the "cancellation" announcement, they'd almost have to try to get it any worse.
this is going to get done, but I think the media jumped the gun a little. By today or tomorrow there will be a deal.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Speaking of E, his blog has the ABSOLUTE FIRST sign of pessimism since he rose to "fame". Deal's done folks...

Hes just playing off emotion and spinning the web like a good writer does, but he isnt a good writer which is the irony of it all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
futurcorerock said:
Exactly. TSN will look better if they are wrong about the dead-on announcement, than to report it and it end up being false.

Just better to Ere on the side of caution. Plus, we gotta look at sources that would discredit. NHL, PA, some players who may be out of the loop and also asked to stay hush about this. All-in-all, i'm going with Panger on this, who has put Eklund's predicting to an f'n shame with his spot-on knowledge of this resuscitation.

There are too many other places reporting it. TSN is just covering themselves just in case, just like they did on Wednesday when they refused to report sportsnet claim that Bettman would raise his number.

And we know that you know who will take credit for this because he (somehow got on..) TEAM1200 in Ottawa and said he caught wind from a writer in Arizona, and whatddaya know, that's where things got kick started.

I only see Boston, Chicago, Carolina, Florida and Nashville saying no to this, and last time I checked 5 is not greater than 8. I think the fact that Phoenix and Pittsburgh are the ones making this happen would make some of the fringe teams go along with them.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
go kim johnsson said:
There are too many other places reporting it. TSN is just covering themselves just in case, just like they did on Wednesday when they refused to report sportsnet claim that Bettman would raise his number.

And we know that you know who will take credit for this because he (somehow got on..) TEAM1200 in Ottawa and said he caught wind from a writer in Arizona, and whatddaya know, that's where things got kick started.

I only see Boston, Chicago, Carolina, Florida and Nashville saying no to this, and last time I checked 5 is not greater than 8. I think the fact that Phoenix and Pittsburgh are the ones making this happen would make some of the fringe teams go along with them.
I thought Panger broke the story on SportsCenter that there was dissention. Plus, there's a writer for the Boston Globe (correct me if i'm wrong) from the Bruins board who was talking about the same dissention right after the deal broke.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
futurcorerock said:
I thought Panger broke the story on SportsCenter that there was dissention. Plus, there's a writer for the Boston Globe (correct me if i'm wrong) from the Bruins board who was talking about the same dissention right after the deal broke.

I'm pretty sure Pang broke it almost immediately after the season cancellation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->