Latest Start to Hockey?

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Just wondering if anyone has heard or read about guys starting the game really late and having some success? Now, I don't mean first time skating at like 30 and making the NHL by 33, or something crazy. I just mean...most guys start skating and some basic hockey by 3-4 years old. Anyone start at like 10?

member 83027

Just wondering if anyone has heard or read about guys starting the game really late and having some success? Now, I don't mean first time skating at like 30 and making the NHL by 33, or something crazy. I just mean...most guys start skating and some basic hockey by 3-4 years old. Anyone start at like 10?

Not 100% sure on your definition of starting the game really late means....

Ed Kea is an example of someone who did not play organized hockey until around the age of 17 with a Jr 'C' team.

Of course on top of that the sad story with the hit by George McPhee (clean hit) and his drowning a few years later.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Jovo apparently didn't start playing until he was 10 years old.

That was the word when he was in Vancouver and his hockey sense kind of showed that at times.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I've heard Holmström started pretty late, but I don't have any written source to back that claim up.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Eddie Shore is the answer.

He was a great athlete, (baseball and soccer), but it wasn't until he was almost 18 that he started pursuing hockey in earnest.

10 years later he was winning the Hart Trophy..

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Yvon Lambert received his first pair of skates at age 13, and didn't play organised hockey until he was 15.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I think Curtis Joseph was like 13 when he first played organized hockey. I've heard he only began skating at age 10 or so.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
i think kharlamov didnt start playing organized hockey until the age of 14

Well, if the Russians count, then Vsevolod Bobrov is the man. He started as a 23-year old (about the same time they started to play hockey in Soviet Union), and inside a few years he became the best hockey player in Europe - all that while he also continued playing soccer (until 1957, I think). Of course, competition wasn't as strong as in Kharlamov's time.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Well, if the Russians count, then Vsevolod Bobrov is the man. He started as a 23-year old (about the same time they started to play hockey in Soviet Union), and inside a few years he became the best hockey player in Europe - all that while he also continued playing soccer (until 1957, I think). Of course, competition wasn't as strong as in Kharlamov's time.

I'd presume he is one of those players who switched from bandy to hockey?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I made a thread like this last year. Anyway to keep it going, I think Joe Mullen started pretty late...in his teens if I recall.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Richard Panik, second round pick from Tampa Bay in 2008, started to skate, when he was 9. But he isnt in NHL now, so i dont know, if thats counting.

He scored a pretty sick goal for Guelph last night, kicking the puck with his skate to his stick, then putting the puck past the Sarnia goaltender. Its on www.guelphstorm.com, play starts about 2:35 on their Storm VS Sting highlights video.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad