Latest Red Line - Kessel proclaimed top gun among top 10 forwards

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
ACC1224 said:
I was surprised at your response, you usually seem pretty even keeled(of course my reply to you was worse), I thought I was asking a harmless question. I'm not a prospect guy and know very little about Kessel that is why I asked. I didn't even consider that he is uncomfortable being interviewed, he had better hope he doesn't end up in Toronto or Montreal.
Occasionally I have a habit of attacking the wrong post. :)

Btw, I hope people are so turned off by Kessel's interview that he falls all the way to 13 and does wind up in Toronto. We can get Fergy to give him some lessons on how to talk to the media. ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I remember before one of the Superbowls one of the Dallas Cowboys said of Terry Bradshaw that he could not spell 'cat' if you spotted him the 'c' and the 'a.' After the SB, where Bradshaw took apart the Cowboy defense and won, Bradshaw was reminded of that quote and said 'yup, it is absolutely true. But I sure could spell 'T-O-U-C-H-D-O-W-N' couldn't I?'

Kessel is not dumb. But even if he were dumb as a post, no one can deny his hockey skills. I think that over the years he will be spelling 'G-O-A-L' far more often than people give him credit for now. Pass over him at your own risk. Five years from now this will be looked back on as the Kessel draft and people will be kicking themselves. My great fear is that my team is going to be one of those teams thinking 'what if . . . '.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
The president of the United States can't speak in front of people but look at him... um... my sincerest apologies to Mr. Kessel.

CBJ Bob

Summer Time Blues
Jun 20, 2002
In Hiding
Visit site
DJAnimosity said:
Indeed. Doug MacLean has already stated that he would do cartwheels and backflips if Kessel somehow fell to the Jackets at pick #6. No way he would pass him up.
If Kessel is available at 6 and the Jackets select someone else, I will stop watching Hockey and switch to watching the NBA.

X0ssbar

CBJ Bob said:
If Kessel is available at 6 and the Jackets select someone else, I will stop watching Hockey and switch to watching the NBA.

If will be far less painful if you put your head into a meatgrinder instead CBJ Bob....which is exactly what I'll do if this happens.

If Brule V. 2.0 happens again this year I may even say 'Go Michigan' -- just a whisper mind you ;)

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Jaded-Fan said:
I am praying that the Pens see things this way.

I'm with you all the way Jaded. The other guys just don't get me as excited, even EJ even though I know deep down he's the best prospect. Although I am warming up to Staal a little bit more I think Kessel is our best option if we want to convert any of these guys to wing.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Gopher_Nut said:
Correct, he is extremely shy, almost to a fault. I often think this is why he sometimes gets a bad rap. I just think he's got a close knit group of friends and any outside that takes him a while to warm up to.

ACC1224..Shy does not equal dumb.

Correct Shy does not equal dumb...........however..........that is about the 3rd interview I have seen Kessel give and the impression he puts off is that he is DUMB.........I am sure shy has a lot to do with it, but he absolutely cant speak..........he has a lot of one word answers and even on Coaches Corner when they werent expected to speak a whole bunch he came off as punch drunk.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
KeepitinPitt said:
I'm with you all the way Jaded. The other guys just don't get me as excited, even EJ even though I know deep down he's the best prospect. Although I am warming up to Staal a little bit more I think Kessel is our best option if we want to convert any of these guys to wing.

I keep having this Dan Marino deja vu over and over regarding Kessel. I can see in five years everyone saying 'well, yeah, he showed talent throughout his career and world class skills. Everyone knew that. What in the world were they (read my team) thinking in passing him? He gave one word responses in interviews? Idiots. We were such idiots.'

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
H N I C said:
Good to see Little in the top 10. :)
Except that the more I see him listed in Top 10s the more I become sure we aren't going to get him in Toronto. :cry:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jaded-Fan said:
I keep having this Dan Marino deja vu over and over regarding Kessel. I can see in five years everyone saying 'well, yeah, he showed talent throughout his career and world class skills. Everyone knew that. What in the world were they (read my team) thinking in passing him? He gave one word responses in interviews? Idiots. We were such idiots.'

One of my problems with all of this questioning of Kessel's abilities before a camera is the fact that as a pro hockey player how many "mainstream" oppurtunities is he going to get where this is a big deal? He'll get play in the local media and on occasion from hockey related news sources, but nothing extreme. I think this is a non-issue, especially when the most important factor when evaluating a player of Kessel's ability is just that-his ability. There's also the possibilty he...matures?

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I know Vlad Gurerro can barely read and write. I think the Angels are still pretty happy with him in their line up.

I realize they are athletes. And i have had some classes with athletes before. But Kessel finished HS in 3 years. And to the best of my knowledge is eligable academically to play NCAA as a sophmore.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
As long as players don't have to talk their way through a hockey game, unless you say that their skills are doing the talking, then I'm not concerned about Kessel's on-camera whateverness.

What I am concerned about is the stuff that matters: his dependence in using the one-on-one move, his slight stature, and subpar defensive game. You better be damn sure his offensive game can translate or else he really does not have to be guaranteed a top 5 pick.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
JoeIsAStud said:
I can imagine scenarios where Kessel drops to the Islanders. He is such a risky guy that a couple teams may pass him over and go for safer picks.

I can't imagine a scenario where Backstrom who is one of the 2 safest picks in the draft drops down to 7.

The more i think about it, I can't see Kessel falling to #7. Assuming all teams have EJ rated #1, you have to figure one of the next 6 teams will have Kessel a #2, which means he will be picked once there turn comes up.

Backstrom on the other hand might slip just because some teams fear the 2 year rule for Europians. The idea one of the concensius 5 drops to the Islanders means that if 2 teams pick 2 of Mueller, Okposo, Brassard or somebody else before us, 1 of the 5 would drop(which still unlikely, would probably be Backstrom).

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Balej's Dance said:
As long as players don't have to talk their way through a hockey game, unless you say that their skills are doing the talking, then I'm not concerned about Kessel's on-camera whateverness.

What I am concerned about is the stuff that matters: his dependence in using the one-on-one move, his slight stature, and subpar defensive game. You better be damn sure his offensive game can translate or else he really does not have to be guaranteed a top 5 pick.

1) He doesn't depend on the one-on-one move.

2) He's just as big as many of the top prospects and in the new NHL he doesn't have to be a beast to excel, especially because he's blessed with exceptional speed.

3) Lot's of kids Kessel's age, especially those that are gifted offensively have sub-par defensive games. Defense can be taught, and Kessel appears to be a willing student.

If you are going to critique Kessel at least get it right.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rabid Ranger said:
1) He doesn't depend on the one-on-one move.

2) He's just as big as many of the top prospects and in the new NHL he doesn't have to be a beast to excel, especially because he's blessed with exceptional speed.

3) Lot's of kids Kessel's age, especially those that are gifted offensively have sub-par defensive games. Defense can be taught, and Kessel appears to be a willing student.

If you are going to critique Kessel at least get it right.

How far off is it?

(1) Ok, so he doesn't depend on it. But the rate he's using this move is alarming as if he can't learn that defenseman have caught on to this trick, well then the can of questioning his hockey sense may be opened.

(2) He's not an Ovechkin or Crosby, nor is anyone expecting him to be. But he will be subjected to an increased level of competition in the NHL. Whereas Ovechkin stepped in didn't need to adjust, I don't see Kessel coming in and dominating no matter how skilled he is. At some point, he's gotta be able to work in the corners and do the things it takes to win battles and pucks. He's not gonna win with his size, not that it matters for someone like Martin Karsums, but I don't see him adding the willingness to compete in those situations.

(3) So you agree that he has a poor defensive game? That's all I said. I don't know him well enough and have never interviewed him, so I don't know if he has the character to improve his game. I just said that I didn't like his defensive game.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Balej's Dance said:
How far off is it?

(1) Ok, so he doesn't depend on it. But the rate he's using this move is alarming as if he can't learn that defenseman have caught on to this trick, well then the can of questioning his hockey sense may be opened.

(2) He's not an Ovechkin or Crosby, nor is anyone expecting him to be. But he will be subjected to an increased level of competition in the NHL. Whereas Ovechkin stepped in didn't need to adjust, I don't see Kessel coming in and dominating no matter how skilled he is. At some point, he's gotta be able to work in the corners and do the things it takes to win battles and pucks. He's not gonna win with his size, not that it matters for someone like Martin Karsums, but I don't see him adding the willingness to compete in those situations.

(3) So you agree that he has a poor defensive game? That's all I said. I don't know him well enough and have never interviewed him, so I don't know if he has the character to improve his game. I just said that I didn't like his defensive game.

Rabid Ranger is a Kessel fanatic, critique anything about Kessel and he'll be all over it. He is a overzealous defender of Kessel, but its probably needed because Kessel is unjustly bashed quite a bit. He has problems as you mentioned but people need to remember the positive aspects of his game. Kessel has great speed and the hands to handle the puck at high speed, players like that give players fits in the new NHL and draws penalties.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
MentalPowerHouse said:
Rabid Ranger is a Kessel fanatic, critique anything about Kessel and he'll be all over it. He is a overzealous defender of Kessel, but its probably needed because Kessel is unjustly bashed quite a bit. He has problems as you mentioned but people need to remember the positive aspects of his game. Kessel has great speed and the hands to handle the puck at high speed, players like that give players fits in the new NHL and draws penalties.

I agree and good comment. I happen to agree with about 99% of what RR says. I feel he's right on most of the time. I too am pretty amazed how much Kessel is bashed here. Especially regarding character, "hawk50" for one bashing IMO just to read his own writing.

Personally, I'm no expert, just an AVID hockey fan with Gopher season tickets for 12 yrs, but I've seen him in about 80 or so games and IMO, Kessel is AMAZINGLY fast with great hands. Fastest probably since Neal Broten. Holes in his game...ABSOLUTELY..He being unjustly compared to Crosby/Ovechkin, weak defensively, one move (anyone that's watched him knows his first 4-6 Gopher games he failed miserably with this and you rarely saw it after), bumped off the puck a bit easier than I thought. I think 1 more yr with the Gophers would help since he will be the leader, but I probably have a prejidice point of view.
:yo: :yo:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MentalPowerHouse said:

I have no problem saying I'm a big fan of Kessel's, but I'm a bigger fan of the truth, and frankly much of the criticism being applied to Kessel isn't very accurate or is old news.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I have no problem saying I'm a big fan of Kessel's, but I'm a bigger fan of the truth, and frankly much of the criticism being applied to Kessel isn't very accurate or is old news.

I agree. Kessel is the most dynamic and explosive player in this draft class. End of story.

One NCAA coach told me that Kessel is pretty solid defensively, and that the mistakes he makes have more to do with inexperience than anything else.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Kirk- NEHJ said:
I agree. Kessel is the most dynamic and explosive player in this draft class. End of story.

One NCAA coach told me that Kessel is pretty solid defensively, and that the mistakes he makes have more to do with inexperience than anything else.

The fact of the matter is the make it or break it point for any pick in the top 10 is not going to be their defensive ability, unless its a defensivemen. Sure being good defensively is a positive but teams definitely are looking to draft a defensive forward that high, they want top end offensive talent regardless of their defensive ability. Grinders and pluggers are much easier and cheaper to acquire than someone who can score 50 goals. Obviously if 2 guys have equal offensive talent you'll take the one who is better defensively, assuming size and other variables aren't a factor. Kessel is a top end offensive talent, probably the top in this draft. He wont fall far.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Anyone who says Kessel depends on one move just completely stopped watching college hockey the 2nd half of the year or never even saw the kid play.

So shut up, get off the boards, and go and try to find a video of the kid.

He's one of the best players in the draft. He put up some GREAT point totals in the NCAA on the 2nd line. His offense is probably a decent step above most players in this draft. His skating is WORLD CLASS. His shot release is blazing fast. His accuracy is amazing. He can pass and put the puck right on the other player's stick.

I mean, what is not to like about this kid?

Jesus Christ.

turnbuckle*

Kirk- NEHJ said:

But it's not the end of the story - it's your opinion.

If Kessel was being projected by everyone as being the most dynamic and explosive player unquestionably at the NHL level, there would be no question of his going second overall - unless you've been ignoring the signs, there is a very distinct possibility that Kessel won't be the first forward chosen at the draft, in large part because some scouts are not convinced he will be the most prolific at the NHL level. For every Chris Pronger -players who were projected to become great even if they weren't realizing their full potential yet when they were drafted - there is a Daniel Cleary - players who were great when they were 15-17 but not improving at the same rate as others when they reach their late teens.

Don't misquote me here - I'm not saying Kessel will be another Dan Cleary - he's too talented for that - but which player showed more improvement in the past season Staal or Kessel? Or Johnson, or Brassard, or Okposo, or.....

When a players "slows" his development in his draft year, it sets off alarms with some scouts no matter how impressive that player may have been at a younger age.

All that said - Kessel by no means had a poor year, and that's why he's still going to be a top 6 pick, but if he had improved as much last season as he had in the previous two years, he'd likely be the consensus top pick.

Just my opinion of course; I'm sure the "Kessel Krew" will dispute these notions with fervor as always. ;)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
How the hell did Kessel's development SLOW???

So he didn't put up Kariya numbers. Who in the world expected that of him?

He lit up the NCAA as a freshman playing on the 2nd line and put up great numbers for it.

If that's slowing, I don't know what getting better is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->