3 Peter Mueller 6-2, 203 R 4/14/1988 Everett 1st

4 Nicklas Backstrom 6-0, 183 L 11/23/1987 Brynas 1st

5 Jordan Staal 6-4, 212 L 9/10/1988 Peterborough 1st

6 Derrick Brassard 6-0, 177 L 9/22/1987 Drummondville 1st

7 Kyle Okposo 6-0, 195 R 4/16/1988 Des Moines 1st

8 Jiri Tlusty 6-1, 198 L 3/16/1988 Kladno Sr. 1st

9 Bryan Little 5-11, 192 R 11/12/1987 Barrie 1st

10 Michael Frolik 6-1, 187 L 2/17/1988 Kladno Sr. 1st

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2006-06-13-forwards_x.htm

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
darn just when i thought his stock was going down, i am getting my hopes him or Backstrom somehow slip to the Islanders at 7th:P

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
boredmale said:
darn just when i thought his stock was going down, i am getting my hopes him or Backstrom somehow slip to the Islanders at 7th:P
Stranger things have happened, like Crosby going first overall.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Leachmeister2000 said:
Stranger things have happened, like Crosby going first overall.

RLR seems to be one of the scouting reports that is high on Kessel(as oppsoed to ISS or Central Scouting). Guess we will see June 24th. Will be exciting as an Islanders fan, there is 6 guys i wouldn't mind us getting and we pick 7th, just have to hope 1 team goes off the board, now if 2 teams to even sweeter(I would "settle" for Mueller falling to us he is sort of my 6th of 6th guy).

Bryzga lol*

I highly doubt Kessel will go 2nd overall. With all the negative hype towards him lately and all the praise for Staal and Backstrom. Kessel's still a great player, but I see him going 5th overall. And I sure as hell don't see Mueller going ahead of Backstrom and Staal.

But who knows, stranger things have happend

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
boredmale said:

I can imagine scenarios where Kessel drops to the Islanders. He is such a risky guy that a couple teams may pass him over and go for safer picks.

I can't imagine a scenario where Backstrom who is one of the 2 safest picks in the draft drops down to 7.

Go4Guy

Jun 6, 2006
JoeIsAStud said:
I can imagine scenarios where Kessel drops to the Islanders. He is such a risky guy that a couple teams may pass him over and go for safer picks.

I can't imagine a scenario where Backstrom who is one of the 2 safest picks in the draft drops down to 7.

Risky how?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JoeIsAStud said:

I'm not sure how Kessel is that much riskier than any of the other top prospects. A lot of the criticism that has been levied against him of late has amounted to nit-picking IMO.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I saw the top prospects with Cherry the other night and was surprised when it was Kessels turn to speak. I'm asking this in all seriousness, has he taken some head shots? Poor kid sounds dumb as a post.

I know in the NFL they give prospects aptitude tests, does the NHL do this?

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
JoeIsAStud said:

No chance Kessel is there at pick 7

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ACC1224 said:
I saw the top prospects with Cherry the other night and was surprised when it was Kessels turn to speak. I'm asking this in all seriousness, has he taken some head shots? Poor kid sounds dumb as a post.

I know in the NFL they give prospects aptitude tests, does the NHL do this?

I don't think it's an issue of intelligence. Kessel just doesn't appear to be very comfortable in front of a camera.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think it's an issue of intelligence. Kessel just doesn't appear to be very comfortable in front of a camera.

Correct, he is extremely shy, almost to a fault. I often think this is why he sometimes gets a bad rap. I just think he's got a close knit group of friends and any outside that takes him a while to warm up to.

ACC1224..Shy does not equal dumb.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Realm said:
No chance Kessel is there at pick 7

Indeed. Doug MacLean has already stated that he would do cartwheels and backflips if Kessel somehow fell to the Jackets at pick #6. No way he would pass him up.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:

Thanks...I know very little about him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ACC1224 said:
Thanks...I know very little about him.

Don't get me wrong, at first glance most people would have the same opinion of Kessel that you had. He's just very awkward in front of the media. Some people never grow out of that and it can make a person look dumb and very unsure of themselves.

Last edited:

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Don't get me wrong, at first glance most people who have the same opinion of Kessel that you had. He's just very awkward in front of the media. Some people never grow out of that and it can make a person look dumb and very unsure of themselves.

I can give a great example. I have known Tony Hrkac since he was a teen. Late in his career he was interviewed on national TV after a good game. He looked so uncomfortable. This was a guy who had won the Hobey Baker and played a long career between the NHL, AHL and IHL, and yet he still seemed so shy to be on camera.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
ACC1224 said:
. . .
And did the other kids sound like Nobel prize winners? Please, they all said cliched things and they all appeared a little uneasy.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Rabid Ranger said:
Don't get me wrong, at first glance most people who have the same opinion of Kessel that you had. He's just very awkward in front of the media. Some people never grow out of that and it can make a person look dumb and very unsure of themselves.
That was pretty painful to watch but a lot of people are like that. For example public speaking just in high school is hard for some, imagine being on national television in front of millions. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't really want the Pens to draft him (though I wouldn't be too upset) but I think Pittsburgh would be a good fit for him because it will always be everything Crosby in terms of media attention and he might be able to fly under the radar.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
timlap said:
And did the other kids sound like Nobel prize winners? Please, they all said cliched things and they all appeared a little uneasy.

:shakehead

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
ACC1224 said:
That's all you have to say? Come on, ACC, I know you can do better than that. You seem as inarticulate as, oh I don't know, Phil Kessel. ;)

I'm only kidding. :) Sorry if my first response seemed overdone. it was not really aimed at you but at the countless posts I have seen that pick on Kessel to a ridiculous extent. He's slightly awkward (not even very awkward- just slightly) but he does fine.

I'm not even a huge Kessel fan, but he deserves some slack.

I want to make a comment about people picking on kids (not that you were doing that ACC) but of course I don't know how old the people are who are doing the posting. If they're kids too then it's a different story imo.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
timlap said:
That's all you have to say? Come on, ACC, I know you can do better than that. You seem as inarticulate as, oh I don't know, Phil Kessel. ;)

I'm only kidding. :) Sorry if my first response seemed overdone. it was not really aimed at you but at the countless posts I have seen that pick on Kessel to a ridiculous extent. He's slightly awkward (not even very awkward- just slightly) but he does fine.

I'm not even a huge Kessel fan, but he deserves some slack.

I want to make a comment about people picking on kids (not that you were doing that ACC) but of course I don't know how old the people are who are doing the posting. If they're kids too then it'sa different story imo.

I was surprised at your response, you usually seem pretty even keeled(of course my reply to you was worse), I thought I was asking a harmless question. I'm not a prospect guy and know very little about Kessel that is why I asked. I didn't even consider that he is uncomfortable being interviewed, he had better hope he doesn't end up in Toronto or Montreal.

Sammy*

Gopher_Nut said:
Correct, he is extremely shy, almost to a fault. I often think this is why he sometimes gets a bad rap. I just think he's got a close knit group of friends and any outside that takes him a while to warm up to.

ACC1224..Shy does not equal dumb.
No kidding. He's an 18 year old kid. We sure expect allot of these guys at an unbelievably young age. You take some intelligent 18 year old in high school, put him in front of a camera & ask him a few questions & I virtually gaurantee you he sounds a heck of alot stupider than Kessel does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad