Latendresse Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
417 TO MTL said:
Just asking because I don't know...but did Justin Papineau do this in his 1st ever game as an 18yr old?

I agree about not going overboard, but how can you not be drooling over Latendresse right now if your a Habs fan...if he was drafted by your team and been doing the same thing, you'd be saying the same thing

Papineau scored 5 goals in a pre-season game a couple of years back. That didn't translate into a stellar career in the NHL. Take a deep breath and step back from the computer.

And no I wouldn't be raving that 'he's the steal of the draft', 'If Crosby weren't in the 2005 draft I'd take Latendresse 1st overall' and the rest of the overhyped nonsense that's going on in this thread. It's one game. Holler back at me come midseason if Latendresse is lighting it up in the NHL.

Edit .... Link to the story

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/09/20/Sports/Papineau_scores_five_.shtml

Justin Papineau scored five goals as the Blues opened the preseason with a 7-2 victory over the Bruins on Thursday night.

STARS 7, AVALANCHE 1: Jonathan Sim scored four goals for visiting Dallas

Jon Sim should also be a 1st ballot HOF based on his preseason performance

Last edited:

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
What I hear of Latendresse currently remembers me precisely what I could read in Boston newpapers two years ago. Like Bergeron, Latendresse shows a lot of maturity and responsability.

The only problem is that while Boston needed a center/winger at that time, Montreal already has a loaded roster, specially with Hossa playing well. With Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec and Hossa, there is no room for Latendresse.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
By the way, you would have a tread here EVEN if Latendresse didn't score twice yesterday. He was on the ice for 4 of his team goals, and was involved on each goal.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Rick Middleton said:
Papineau scored 5 goals in a pre-season game a couple of years back. That didn't translate into a stellar career in the NHL. Take a deep breath and step back from the computer.

And no I wouldn't be raving that 'he's the steal of the draft', 'If Crosby weren't in the 2005 draft I'd take Latendresse 1st overall' and the rest of the overhyped nonsense that's going on in this thread. It's one game. Holler back at me come midseason if Latendresse is lighting it up in the NHL.

You didn't answer my question, how old was Papineau when he scored those 5 goals?

And I don't need to take a deep breath cause i'm not one of those calling him the 'steal of the draft' i'm not overhyping him at all...

All i'm saying is... so what if he's getting a bunch of hype of Habs fans right now, any team who would have an 18yr old come in and get 4 pts in his 1st game, would have fans starting threads prasing them, it's really not that uncommon, and why would you expect any different.

I won't need to come back holler at you midseason, because Latendresse will and should be sent back down to the Q, but you better bet i'm going to give him hella hype if he's doing well while he's here

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Rick Middleton said:

Edit .... Link to the story

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/09/20/Sports/Papineau_scores_five_.shtml

Jon Sim should also be a 1st ballot HOF based on his preseason performance

Again, both of these guys had significant experience playing pro hockey when they accomplished this, Latendresse is 18yrs old, give me a break....

Sidney Crosby sneezes and you have 80% of the board creaming themselves...latendresse scores 4 pts in his 1st game, a couple of Habs fans go crazy, what's so wrong about that.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
417 TO MTL said:
I agree, and I take all that into consideration whenever I get the thought that latendresse just might be better off in the NHL...

However, doing what he's done at this level, I understand it's only preseason against many teams farm teams, but he's 18yrs old, and that makes it hella impressive no matter how you put it

:clap: Hey, I'd be stoked about his performace too and I think alot of what I'm hearing smacks of jealosy to me.

Sounds like you've got perspective too... It's the same with Schremp on the Oilers board... looks good, and that's encouraging but his play only gives clues as to whether he can perform during the regular season

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
417 TO MTL said:
You didn't answer my question, how old was Papineau when he scored those 5 goals?

You're missing the point entirely. It doesn't matter what a player does in one preseason game. It has little correlation to whether they'll succeed in the NHL or not. If you're that interested in how old Papineau was, look it up yourself. But it still won't matter.

And I don't need to take a deep breath cause i'm not one of those calling him the 'steal of the draft' i'm not overhyping him at all...

All i'm saying is... so what if he's getting a bunch of hype of Habs fans right now, any team who would have an 18yr old come in and get 4 pts in his 1st game, would have fans starting threads prasing them, it's really not that uncommon, and why would you expect any different.

I won't need to come back holler at you midseason, because Latendresse will and should be sent back down to the Q, but you better bet i'm going to give him hella hype if he's doing well while he's here
The 'all bow down to Latendresse' thread in the Habs forum is rational? This same type of spin has happened for years here with Hab fans. First Hainsey, then Perezhogin, then Kotsitsyn, then Komisarek, now Latendresse, they're all going straight to the HOF. Believe me, were someone silly enough to start a thread like that in the Bruins forum he'd be mocked straight out of the boards.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
oil slick said:
:clap: Hey, I'd be stoked about his performace too and I think alot of what I'm hearing smacks of jealosy to me.

Sounds like you've got perspective too... It's the same with Schremp on the Oilers board... looks good, and that's encouraging but his play only gives clues as to whether he can perform during the regular season is a different story.

Oh, there's definately some jealousy in the air....

Exactly, most Habs fans realize that he should still be sent back down to juniors, so what if a couple come on here and say some over the top comments, every team has fans like that.

All I know is that at 18yrs old, Latendresse is at least IMO, good enough to play at the AHL level (although he's not allowed)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Rick Middleton said:
You're missing the point entirely. It doesn't matter what a player does in one preseason game. It has little correlation to whether they'll succeed in the NHL or not. If you're that interested in how old Papineau was, look it up yourself. But it still won't matter.

The 'all bow down to Latendresse' thread in the Habs forum is rational? This same type of spin has happened for years here with Hab fans. First Hainsey, then Perezhogin, then Kotsitsyn, then Komisarek, now Latendresse, they're all going straight to the HOF. Believe me, were someone silly enough to start a thread like that in the Bruins forum he'd be mocked straight out of the boards.

I'm not missing the point, I get what your saying, i'm not saying he's the next one because of a preseason game, not once did I ever say that in this thread (look it up if you want to) but I think you're dismissing what he's accomplished to date, if Crosby had done this, everyone would be going crazy as well. I agree it doesn't matter how 1 player does in preseason game, but if you have an 18yr old come in and record 4pts in his 1st game, is it not at least thread worthy? I agree with you, Habs fans and they're media are going to go way overboard with this and forget that this player still has some developping to do, but I don't think it's that bad if the fans are enthused with his play..

He's gotten alot of hype to date, but every bit of it is deserved, don't get that wrong. As much as Habs fans are putting too much stock into last night performance, I think you're putting way too little into it, we have to remember, this is an 18yr old kid, even when you consider the circumstances surrounding last night (Tampa Bay icing a B team, preseason rust) it was still impressive for a junior aged player.

About the thread on the Habs board, what can you do? everyone has a right to start a thread, if you go over it, most of it is just useless drivel about finding a nickname for him or more bull****

As for Bruins board, I won't even get into some of the stuff I read when Bergeron was tearing it up last year :shakehead

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
What I find funny is that the peanut gallery just HAS TO make their little self-righteous/hypocritical speeches. You can't resist the temptation, can you?

Lets get this straight, once again. This Prospect has been followed and speculated on as to his potential on this forum, the Prospects Board for years now. Some of his game performances in junior and at international competitions have been topics of discussion and debate on this, the Prospects forum. Now a thread is started after this Prospect has a multi-point performance in his first NHL game as an 18 year old, and it is not right that it was posted on this, the Prospects board?

Boy, you guys are good for a laugh. :biglaugh:

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
Rick Middleton said:

I know you know it RM, but it's worth repeating. It's not all Hab fans who participate in the prospect of the day circle jerks over at Habs HQ and elsewhere. The poster who started the Latendresse thread on the Habs board might be a relative of TorTrader (at the very least he shares some of his uber-homer DNA)

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
habfan4 said:
I know you know it RM, but it's worth repeating. It's not all Hab fans who participate in the prospect of the day circle jerks over at Habs HQ and elsewhere. The poster who started the Latendresse thread on the Habs board might be a relative of TorTrader (at the very least he shares some of his uber-homer DNA)
I personally think it's a disease that afflicts all Hab fans at one point in time or another. A complete loss of all reason and ability to think rationally. :sarcasm: ;)

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
Rick Middleton said:
I personally think it's a disease that afflicts all Hab fans at one point in time or another. A complete loss of all reason and ability to think rationally. :sarcasm: ;)

Fair enough... I'm convinced that all Bruins' fans have vestigial tails. ;)

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
habfan4 said:
Fair enough... I'm convinced that all Bruins' fans have vestigial tails. ;)
Mine doesn't wag. Always follow what you're Mom tells you ... if you keep playing with it, it will indeed fall off (or in my case, stop wagging).

predz

Oct 8, 2004
Longueuil
GaryU said:
Ya know Rene Bourque had 2g & 1a in his 1st exhibition game vs. Calgary...We in Chicago are considering a petition to the NHL to wave the waiting period for admission into the HHOF....Perhaps Latendresse could also be considered??? :sarcasm:

Yeah, and from what I understood, that performance locked him a spot on Hawks roster, which is exactly what we are talking about for latendresse. We could also fact that Bourque is not 18.

Of course it,s only a preseason game, of course it's early, but he still outplayed Higgins, Perezhogin and PLekanec (not Hossa) yesterday. The fact is that all those players were supposed to be better then him and are all at least 3 years older then him. And bye the way, yes I was there.

Oh, and what is the problem about posting about prospect performances in a prospect board?

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
I heard noone complaining about this 2 g and GWG for Vanek thread. I agree that there's some overhype at the moment, but I think it's a normal reaction from Habs fan who saw a lot of posters telling them how bad was the Habs' draft.

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
We can put due were due is needed. He did extremely well and I don't beleive we've had any prospect this young do this well in quite some time.

He would make the NHL on some teams but I don't think Gainey will.

Although I would let him start the season and go game to game. If he does well then let him stay if not back to the Q so he can have some fun!

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Rick Middleton said:

Which is why I despise going to the Montreal forum. I'm as big a fan as it gets, but most of the posters there don't have enough time to take off their rose-colored glasses and look at things objectively. I want Latendresse to succeed as much as the next Hab fan, but at least be reasonable about it...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
habsforlife said:
come on guys!!!!!

a prospect gets a 3 points day and were directly responsible for 5 goals out of 6 and its not good enough to put it in the propect board???

then he'll get a 60 points season and we'll be able to put something in the national league talks and then somebody will say only one good year.

he is the best prospect as for now in the entire league and you guys just has to eat it that's all!!!

not saying he is gretzky but damn the best prospect for now deserves a big thread of him self in the prospect board.

and yes its a great way to put everyone back to their seats with lots of people saying habs had a bad draft.

again im not overhyping latendresse right now, he played great and deserves to be said, thats all...

and was not just a 3 point game, he created space on the ice with big hits.

again he's not lemieux but he plays great and deserves to be mentioned.

Im assuming you know nothing about any other prospect in the entire league then..correct?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Habdul said:
What I find funny is that the peanut gallery just HAS TO make their little self-righteous/hypocritical speeches. You can't resist the temptation, can you?

Lets get this straight, once again. This Prospect has been followed and speculated on as to his potential on this forum, the Prospects Board for years now. Some of his game performances in junior and at international competitions have been topics of discussion and debate on this, the Prospects forum. Now a thread is started after this Prospect has a multi-point performance in his first NHL game as an 18 year old, and it is not right that it was posted on this, the Prospects board?

Boy, you guys are good for a laugh. :biglaugh:

Yea even but see, Even Crosby and Ovechkin dont have another thread started about their player every 2 days. Jesus.. Crosby sneezed someone strart a thread!!

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
FLYLine88 said:
Yea even but see, Even Crosby and Ovechkin dont have another thread started about their player every 2 days. Jesus.. Crosby sneezed someone strart a thread!!

That's because TSN has taken on all responsibility for posting Crosby's daily mundane activities...

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
when there is 800 post in a game thread for an exhebition game.. you know this team is loaded with users in this board.. we do have a love for the habs, we havent had respectable prospects for years.. no we do.. no we see a real one.. so good at 18 years old... so ready not like Ribeiro who had/has all the talent in the world but wasnt ready physically and mentally for the NHL. Latendresse is playing damn well, its not about scoring 5 goals only... anyone could do that, i dont hear much about Hossa being a star now..(4 points yesterday) because we know his style.. lazy at times.. Latendresse is not, he is a working machine. Hossa is not talk about of course there is the Latendresse factor, but Tender was simply the best player on the ice.. it is not like we have a ... one dimensional player.. the guy is 6'3'' 225lbs.. ok thats is not Papineau with his great skating.. we have this guy who has Komisarek stature.. (well not too far) who has a better hitting instincts that anyone on the habs roster (NHL one) <-- please if anyone knows someone better, tell me. who does not only look for a goal but passes as well if not better than he scores.. just tell me wich prospect has done that... tell me who would have been exited to have a player rated so high drafted in that place.. i am sorry but anyone in their RIGHT mind whould have been exited.. now.. dont forget how hockey mad we are, how bad our team has been.. in the recent years.. dont forget we have 23 stanley cups.. dont forget we are a mad hockey town... now.. what would you expect.. We dont say Latendresse will win the scoring title.. we dont say he will be a star now.. but anyone who would have this guy would be droling.. sorry but we still have incredible talent in youngs Like Perezhogin, and Kostitsyn both ranked in the top 25 here. Perezhogin is 22 and Kost 20.. add to the List Chris Higgins and Thomas PLekanec how come we dont hear much about them.. despite all this Julien say there are playing pretty good.. what does it mean... still Julien and all the coachs people who have seen latendresse are wow.. I dont hear as much about People talking on Malkin becoming better than Ovechkin.. after his 5 point performance.. but anyway.

all in all, Latendresse is playing big, playing like an offensive dynamo, working hard, having a great attitude and being 18 years old. he is not a star.. but what he as been showing is really something to talk about.. specially when your are a habs fan specially when the kid is from the neighbour and having ALLLLLLLL the things Montreal has been looking for in a long time.

I understand some people be annoyed, but isnt Latendresse a prospects. isnt a kid impressive performance a reason to post here? isnt a incredible performance of anyone on a WJC a good reason to talk about? anyway i rest my case.. only god can judge us hab fans. :) but who can have your opinion. :) we,ll just ignore it.

kidding! by the way is saw Schremp moves.. i definately has star flow.. :) good luck Oilers.. i like your team.

God this post has been quite long, driven here.. lol

Sammy*

Garp said:
I heard noone complaining about this 2 g and GWG for Vanek thread. I agree that there's some overhype at the moment, but I think it's a normal reaction from Habs fan who saw a lot of posters telling them how bad was the Habs' draft.
The difference is you dont see Sabre fans drooling every time one of their boys gets a few points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->