Late Round Selections

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Im not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere but I was curious if some later round picks that are very raw but display decent talent have been discussed at all.

Examples recently I can think of would be: Pulkkinen, Nyquist, Olden.

Ive heard things about Markus Granlund but i have no idea where he is projected. Is there anywhere I can visit for information about the later rounds?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
From the Pens 4th round pick in 2010 Tom Kuhnhackl has looked promising in his first OHL season. Anders Lee a 6th Round pick by the Islanders in 2009 put up a PPG in his freshman year at Notre Dame.

Dutchy

Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Ca
Depending on what you mean by later rounds, here's three I've been keeping my eye for keeper league purposes.

Sami Vatanen - 4th round 2009

Jerry D'Amigo - 6th round 2009

Cameron Atkinson - 6th round 2008

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Marcus Granlund could go 3rd round and be a steal, was very good for Finland at the U18's recently. Seth Ambroz, Brett Ritchie could be steals as good power forwards in the late second early third. Max Friberg could also be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round. For defencemen I personally think Adam Clendening and Scott Harrington will make noise next year and some will wish they took a flyer on them earlier (both will go somewhere from 35-60)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Jesper Fasth, an unheralded 6th round pick for the Rangers had a very good WJC's, and has been playing on the top line for his SEL team as a 18 year old.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Daniil Tarasov would be someone I'd hope gets picked this year, late I'd assume since he was passed over last time.

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI
Anders Lee - 6th rounder by the Isles in 09

Scored at a PPG pace this year at ND as a freshman, kid is a tank, he was getting recruited by some D1 schools to play QB, but choose to play hockey at ND instead. He needs to work on his skating though.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Michael Ferland was the Flames last pick last year (5th round) and had a solid WHL season. He went from 28 points in 61 games in his draft year to 56 points in 56 games this year.

He's got solid size and doesn't mind dropping the gloves, but I still think he would be a longshot to do much in the NHL.

EDIT: Oops I was wrong. The Flames had a 7th round pick - Patrick Holland, who also produced this year. 62 points in 71 games and is having a solid playoffs.

Surprisingly the Flames draft last year looks pretty strong in general. No real potential superstars, but all of the picks still look very good a year later which is unusual.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Yeah Anders Lee has become a beast. If he had already committed to hockey he would've been drafted a year earlier and probably in an earlier round.

Matt Donovan and Blake Kessel are also good late round picks.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yes, Anders Lee and Jesper Fasth were nice late round picks who look to be paying off.

On my Senators, Erik Condra and Colin Greening are looking like quality bottom 6 players while I'm very high on Marcus Sorenson. Sorenson was picked in the 4th round of 2010 and was among the final cuts for a very good Swedish WJC team and has earned himself an SEL call up. He wasn't even ranked but the Sens felt strongly enough to grab him in the 4th round.

asmodeanreborn

Jun 14, 2010
Longmont, CO
I guess it all depends on what people consider late round picks... in a sim league last summer, I drafted a lot of late round kids I hoped were going to do well in the future, among the more successful of those at this point:

Tom Kühnhackl 4th round, #110 overall - 63 GP, 39G, 29A, OHL
D Brandon Davidson 6th round, #162 overall - 72 GP, 8G, 44A, WHL
RW Mark Stone 6th round, #178 overall - 71 GP, 37G, 69A, WHL
D Zach Trotman 7th round, #210 overall - 38 GP, 6G, 14A, CCHA

It should be mentioned that I took these players probably an average of 10 positions earlier than they were drafted in real life.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Kevin Lind a 7th rounder in 2010 for the Ducks had a good year for Notre Dame. Showed some offensive upside but still needs to work on his skating.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I could be wrong but I think the OP wants to know of players who'll be available in this year's draft, not so much players drafted recetly or in the NHL.

Some players I can think of are Linus Fröberg, who's a smart 2-way player. Johan Sundstrom, played for Sweden at the WJC, also smart 2-way guy. Maxim Shalunov, who's an explosive but inconsistent forward. Zakhar Arzamastsev, defenseman in the KHL who has to be more physical. Gregory Hofmann from Switzerland is small but talented. Joonas Valkonen is solid defensively but not physical enough. William Karlsson also from Sweden, good 2-way guy, not widely known. Lars Volden is a good goalie from Norway who's played well in his rookie season in Finland. Niklas Lundström had a tough year but is a good goalie with potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->