Late Bloomers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
What is the latest anyone has ever heard a guy start playing competitive hockey and make an impact in the NHL?

Ed Jovanovski didn't start playing hockey until age 12 and 6 years later was considered to be the best player in the world in his age group.

Jon Cheechoo supposedly didn't start playing competitively until 15 and 3 years later was a 2nd round pick, not sure when he actually started playing.

I believe Joey Mullen also started very late in life, only playing street hockey in NY as a kid and didn't switch to ice until his late teenage years.

Any other guys to add? Possibly from this years draft?

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Don't know for this year but Mike Komisarek start at 12 years old and he was the 7th overall choice of 2001.

Is hockey experience seem to be similar to Jovo...It would be great if Komi land to be anything close to Jovo...

TeeBall

May 7, 2004
I could probably pick out lots of NHL'ers that have not started playing hockey yet... :eek:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
clefty said:
Didn't Cujo only start playing when he was 19 or something like that?
Actually he might be one of the guy's TeeBall was referring to.

TeeBall

May 7, 2004
pei fan said:
Actually he might be one of the guy's TeeBall was referring to.

Surprised I did not get more response to that...guess sarcasm is a fading art.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Don't know for this year but Mike Komisarek start at 12 years old and he was the 7th overall choice of 2001.

Is hockey experience seem to be similar to Jovo...It would be great if Komi land to be anything close to Jovo...

12? I thought he started at 14

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
didn't chris drury start playing really late? like 15? when he was pitching in the little league world series...he wasn't even a hockey palyer at all yet

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Herby said:
Jon Cheechoo supposedly didn't start playing competitively until 15 and 3 years later was a 2nd round pick, not sure when he actually started playing.

Cheech's family flooded...well...basically the city of Moose Factory (it's tiny) for Cheech from the age of 5 on. That said, he didn't get to play compeditively until he was 14. Then the city paid for power skating lessons, which the entire league knows about by now. If not, watch tonight's SJ-Calgary game. It'll be on again. I can almost guarantee it.

~Crazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad