TV: Last TV Show Episode You Watched and Rate It (Part I)

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Transparent episode something, season one.

My wife's taken to watching this. I have to go back to How I Met Your Mother to find a show where I actively disliked every single character in it as much as this one.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I watched the first episode of The West Wing and I couldn't ****ing stand it. I think I fundamentally hate Aaron Sorkin's style. So comically corny, formulaic, and manipulative. I think the fact that I saw The Newsroom first kind of magnifies it. I understand that this is done better, but I don't think I care.

Was originally going to give this series a try because of all the praise it gets, but I'm leaning towards ignoring/dismissing it now.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Black Mirror S1 - 2.0 (Positive)
I like the premise-- it's very Twilight Zone-y (which I love), albeit with a lot less charm and self awareness-- two things that I think something like this needs because it's just so deliberately on the nose all the time. It's heart is in the right place, and I like the restraint it shows in being self-contained and actually leaving you with just enough to consider rather than stringing you along with cliffhangers/pay-off the way that shows like GOT & Breaking Bad do. I can't say I'm in love with it yet, though.

The Newsroom (Canadian) - 1.5 (Neutral)
Well done show that I find superior to the other "The Newsroom", but I can't say I feel strongly about it or am likely to remember it very fondly. Liked the lead actor.

Who is America - 1.0 (Negative)
There's definitely a novelty to it that pulls you in, and I suppose entertainment that ridicules/exposes things that deserve to be ridiculed are worthy of support. However, it eventually feels like it's just devolving into the typical Sasha Baron Cohen stuff that becomes kind of grating after a while. Stopped watching it altogether.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh hey I remember this thread. I guess it did survive the server migration.

Z Nation: season 5, episode 2.
The "funny" counterpoint to the deathly serious Walking Dead shows, the 2nd new episode in season 5 finds our plucky band arriving in Newmerica, the last continuous zombie-free enclave in North America. 10K sees his old girlfriend Red, separated last season. But does she have another guy now?! Also returning is the Chinese doctor, formerly of what remains of Red China. Roberta's hair went back to being black after briefly turning blond for no reason last season, Black Rainbow is wearing off and the Zombies are now becoming more human than ever. They're talking and sentient again, but crave "Z Biscuits"; don't ask what's in them (probably brains). The woman in charge of settlement (kinda) is someone Roberta saved in flashbacks, so they hit it off. Her bodyguard is actually the guy who played the bully Scut Farkas in A Christmas Story. I just couldn't see anyone other than him once I looked it up...apparently he kept on acting and also does anti-bullying seminars. Really. Swear by wikipedia. Anyway, the settlement is getting set to vote on something...but then stuff happens. Won't spoiler it, even though nobody else on this site still cares about this show anymore. I don't really either, tbh.

Show lost its punch a while ago. No idea how it still keeps on going.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

The episode where Captain Over from the Airplane! movie is in it. Impossible not to giggle ever time I hear his voice. I'm just waiting for him to say: "Twiki, have you ever seen a grown man naked?" And the episode's about some annoying people with 70's hair trying to kill everyone on Earth with nerve gas or something. Spoiler alert: they don't.

And if you thought the older version of Battlestar Galactica was lame and cheesy, get a load of Buck Rogers. I loved it when I was six, but man it has not aged well. So bad. Bad acting, bad sets, bad writing, bad special effects, a study in bad.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
SCTV-The People's Golden Global Choice Awards. 9/10. The fix is in as SCTV trounces the other big networks in the balloting with some questionable picks (Skip Bittman as newcomer of the year!). Show also includes Merv Griffin with HAL 9000 from 2001 as an actual guest. This stuff holds up tremendously well although some of the references may be lost on millennial-types.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Laodongxi

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Devilman Crybaby - 2.5, 3.0? (Good, maybe Very Good)

Masaaki Yuasa is likely my favorite current show-creator. He's made three completely distinct shows in the last decade that are all among my favorites from that period.

The animation is beautiful and striking, the music is great (fantastic use of the original theme-song), the presentation and editing is top notch (I love the points he chooses to end his episodes with), the surreal absurdity can alternate between twisted and funny, and Yuasa's charming sensibilities and eye for tasteful and uncomfortable/disturbing/explicit perversion and violence is on point. All the themes come together to leave a lasting impression that doesn't feel cheap. Made all the more impressive by the fact that the original that it's based on isn't all that good, IMO.

The only reservation I can think of is that you only get a vague impression of characters rather than convincing development, and as a result some of the more aggressive emotional moments don't feel that personally involving, but that kind of works in its own way. It's also a very simple narrative rather than something that feels dense and intricate.

It's not close to as good as Tatami Galaxy or Ping Pong: The Animation, but I think it's the best show aired this year other than Atlanta, personally. The sub is better than the dub.

It's also pretty bleak. Definitely not for everyone.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.
The episode where Captain Over from the Airplane! movie is in it..
And if you thought the older version of Battlestar Galactica was lame and cheesy, get a load of Buck Rogers. I loved it when I was six, but man it has not aged well. So bad. Bad acting, bad sets, bad writing, bad special effects, a study in bad.

Erin Gray in a spandex suit wasn't bad..
(peace)

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Latest episode of Z Nation.

Doc and George get stoned while driving to Altura to hopefully save her talker lieutenant from a grisly death, and Doc narrates some moments from the creation of the Bill of Rights as they smoke weed from a bong made out of an apple. George had her feet up on the dash when Doc ran over a Z on the road, and airbags that a 1970's Lincoln never had deployed and busted George's ankle, thereby necessitating a smoky painkiller.

Also, Warren, Murphy, 10K and Addie go looking for the bakery that makes the Z Biscuits as they've run out and a whole lotta talkers are going to get antsy and crave real brains in the very near future. The producers of this show obviously stumbled across Letterkenny recently, and the warehouse bakery/slaughterhouse is staffed by Canadians sporting an accent somewhere between Scottish, Irish and pirate.

It sounds funnier than it is.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Every episode of Maniac binged in one sitting except for the last one which I watched immediately after getting up this morning.

Have to pump this show. Easily one of the best discoveries I've made on Netflix.

A disconcertingly slim Jonah Hill is Owen, an affectless paranoid schizophrenic wandering through life in some weird alternate 1980's New York. He enters an experimental drug trial with Anne (Emma Stone), and emotionally shattered woman who can't move past the death of her sister. The experimental treatment consists of drugs that give them long, fantastic dreams/hallucinations dredged from their subconscious. I won't say any more than that, because you really should check it out for yourself. It manages the tremendous achievement of having Jonah Hill without him making me want to beat him unconscious every time he talks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad