Last Team without stars that won Cup

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
"Star" is such a broad term but the 1938 Black Hawks are generally considered a weak SC winning team. I think there’s one HHOF player on that team, Earl Seibert. Then they had Gottselig and Dahlstrom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Tough to imagine any recent Cup teams who didn't have at least a few All-Star caliber players.

The 1995 Devils possibly come close in the moment. Obviously they had three future HHOF guys in Stevens/Niedermayer/Brodeur, but in the moment perhaps only Stevens was in his prime. Similarly that roster had Bill Guerin and Brian Rolston who hadn't hit their strides either. Stephane Richer, Neal Broten, and John MacLean about to hit their declines.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think we can agree that the 1982 canucks were the most starless team to ever make the finals. at least the panthers and golden knights had goalies you might have heard of. unless you count ivan hlinka, or i guess tiger williams, there were no name players at all on the '82 canucks.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
The 96 Panthers may very well have been the worst team to ever win a cup of they somehow beat the Avs in 96.

93 Habs ( If you exclude Roy)?
Damphousse, Muller, Bellows, Desjardins, Schneider, and John Leclair starting to emerge. The weakest link of that team was the coach.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Having a problem with this premise. Any team that not only makes a Final let alone wins it, even goes deep without a Marquee Premier bona-fide' "Superstar" is still "full of stars" who have bought into the Coaches system, usually backstopped by outstanding Goaltending & Defense. All for one & one for all, and as the ultimate team sport in playing for each other, for pride, for glory playing outside of themselves & overachieving; containing & managing the Superstar's they oppose & shutting them down I'd call those players & that team "All Star" of the quiet kind. New Jersey a good example. Internationally various iterations over the years of the Big Red Machine out of the Soviet Union, the Czechs. Playing selflessly. For each other, team first. Country.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
How many teams would you say don't have a star player in the NHL currently or through history?

In an event that a team wins the Cup some of their players are bound to at least perform at a star level if you include names like William Karlsson or Eric Staal in the category.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
How many teams would you say don't have a star player in the NHL currently or through history?

In an event that a team wins the Cup some of their players are bound to at least perform at a star level if you include names like William Karlsson or Eric Staal in the category.

Exactly. They have to in order to win. Even if its just fleeting. An anomaly. Stars. Hero's if just for one day.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
2011 Bruins?

Thomas won the Vezina, close to winning the Hart too (finished 5th). Had just won in 2009. Chara won the Norris in 2009 was still elite in 2011.

Maybe even to a lesser extent Bergeron.

Either way, the best answer is probably Carolina but Staal had a fantastic year that no one should forget. The problem is he never followed it up so we tend to think of him as not being a great player. But that season, he was.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
It seems, that without Star(s) you cant win Stanley Cup. When was the last time, that there was a winner without NHL Star. The Real Team.

But the NHL is totally different than every other sport!!!

I'd probably go with Boston in 2011 as well.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
i think we can agree that the 1982 canucks were the most starless team to ever make the finals. at least the panthers and golden knights had goalies you might have heard of. unless you count ivan hlinka, or i guess tiger williams, there were no name players at all on the '82 canucks.

I don't agree. I suppose it depends upon how you define "star." Thomas Gradin & Stan Smyl were the Canucks' number one line combo for three seasons at that point, always number one & two in scoring, and they definitely had the support of fans here. Granted, on many other teams in the league, they likely would've been second line players, but they filled their leadership roles here well & were arguably the two best players for the Canucks in their run to the Finals, really hitting the peaks/primes of their respective careers at that point. The following season with Darcy Rota on their left side they were one of the top producing lines in the NHL. In addition to Tiger Williams, who you mention above as a "name player," but never a star - definitely one of the best known & colourful players in the league for sure - but you can't discount Ivan Boldirev, who had spent years as the Hawks' number one center & leading scorer. He still managed to put up 33-40-73 playing #2 center behind Gradin. Richard Brodeur had been a Second Team All-Star in the WHA.

John Vanbiesbrouck & young Ed Jovanovski may be the only 96 Panthers arguably better than Gradin, Smyl, Brodeur, Williams , Boldirev, Harold Snepsts & Curt Fraser.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
William Karlsson does. 43 goals with +49 is star level.

Thomas Vanek also scored 43 one year and led the league in plus & minus with +47. If your standard for a star is Karlsson/Vanek, then no, it’s never happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad