Last Season Defence Statistics

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
As ranked by our fellow HFers, the Avalanche defence have been ranked as 27th best in the league.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1323721

Now just how bad are they? Statistically speaking (because this year's D is the same as last years w/ addition of Zanon);

Last Season Statistics: (Zanon's numbers in brackets)

Blocked Shots - 596 (136)
Hits - 716 (116)
Takeaways - 158 (11)
Giveaways - 211 (13)
Shots - 591 (41)
Goals - 21 (3)
Goals Against Team Ranking - 11th

Comparative: Ranked #1 by HFers NYR:

Blocked Shots - 774
Hits - 801
Takeaways - 162
Giveaways - 212
Shots - 553
Goals - 30
Goals Against Team Ranking - 3rd

Now I know statistics don't tell the full story, but statistically, the Avalanche don't seem that much worse than the #1 ranked team.

I am not saying the Avalanche have great D, cause we don't, but I just want to make myself feel better about it.

What do you guys think?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Defensively it's an ok group, but offensively they are brutal. Weak in transition, weak at holding the blue line and weak on the PP.

Erik Johnson 26P
Ryan Wilson 21P
Shane O'Brien 20P
Jan Hejda 19P
Stefan Elliott 13P
Ryan O'Byrne 7P
Matt Hunwick 6P

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I'm thinking that is the reason for the bad rankings. HF loves offense.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
It's about what we classify as "offense." Is offense making a solid pass breaking out of the zone and hitting the tape almost every time? Not really, it's just being a decent defenseman who isn't a liability coming up the ice. Yes, our group block a ton of freaking shots, generally clear the front of the net well, and use their size well. We are awful at the transition, we get pinned deep because we can't break out properly, and then spend way too much time in our zone as a result. When you're big and generally slow, you can't afford to get pinned deep. You get dogged and gassed.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd be curious how we stack up against the Devil's defense... They made it to the finals and have more of a blue collar defense like ours.

We really do need at least a JML type top 4 defender... giving him up for a 2nd round pick was not a good trade IMO. Especially if Barrie and what seems less likely (at least this season) Elliott, need a couple more years. What would we have lost if we kept him? Mitchell Heard...

I like Heard a lot but I'd take JML on this team any day over having him in the system.

I think Hunwick needs to be given a shot in our next game as well, although maybe I am just hoping to much for a more immediate fix. I don't think Barrie has been 'bad' per-say.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
HF ranked us in the bottom 5 and I'd say we're hardly better than anyone in the bottom 10 if at all.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
the biggest problem about last year's defense was that Hejda and ROB were given the toughest minutes and lowest O-zone starts and got absolutely shelled. The secondary D as a whole played well enough to outmatch the secondary opposition, but not so much to overcome the serious deficit that happened any time those two were on the ice. If the Avs are relying on Hejda and O'Byrne to be the primary shutdown D again, they are going to give up a lot of shots and probably a lot of goals to the Sedins, Thorntons, Iginlas, Kopitars, Getzlafs, and Datsyuks of the Western conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->