Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
John Tavares (2018) Directed by Kyle Dubas and Brendan Shanahan 10A

Probably broke the budget of the studio, but great suspense and a surprise ending.
Lucky you. I get to watch:

Same Old Crap with Overpaid 4th Line (2014-whenever) by Trevor Linden and Jim Benning. 1Z.

The ending's not surprising at all, but at least the budget's stupidly high.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Same Old Crap with Overpaid 4th Line (2014-whenever) by Trevor Linden and Jim Benning. 1Z.

Damn, sounds a like a perfect companion piece to the movie I've been watching.

hockey30-2016-10-18-a-17.56.51.png

Foxhole of the Purple Pants
Directed by Marc "Attitude Is Everything" Bergevin
Starring: AIE, Toe Nail Clipper, KFC and Beta Captain
Score: Fargo/10

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Damn, sounds a like a perfect companion piece to the movie I've been watching.

hockey30-2016-10-18-a-17.56.51.png

Foxhole of the Purple Pants
Directed by Marc "Attitude Is Everything" Bergevin
Starring: AIE, Toe Nail Clipper, KFC and Beta Captain
Score: Fargo/10
Dude. Seriously, next year is going to be so painful. Drop by the Canucks board if you want to feel better about your team for a minute and have a look at the forward line speculation. It's SO BAD. Like, amazing. Sedins and Vanek gone...whoops! There goes 140+ points! How to replace that? I know! 4th line grinders! With limited NTC clauses! It's so sad. It really is. And you know what the real killer is? Offseason is when all the pro-Benning accounts come back out of the woodwork to sing his praises and infest every damn thread with FOX news-level propaganda...

*breathes into paper bag*

Okay, sorry about that. Movie thread. Yes. Movies. Things people watch to entertain themselves. Let's continue talking about them.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

People experienced with Linden and Benning's work are not surprised about this. But most are still disappointed about it.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Collateral (2004) - 8/10

Michael Mann has terrible choice in music for his films. It is tightly made though. Gets a bit grating and cliched by the end and I'm not a fan of whatever smooth frame rate thing was going on with the camera.

collateral.jpg

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Note: Not counting animated works and a couple of meaningless bit parts, The Catcher Was a Spy is very likely my first Paul Rudd movie. That seems odd in the extreme, but his work--Hollywood guy comedies and Sundance-y dramas--are the sort of things I almost always ignore. He seems vanilla.

Would like to know what you think of Prince Avalanche, if you ever see that. I love that film but can see you hating it maybe. Also, Rudd has been in a ton of films, can't believe you haven't seen something of his. Clueless, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet, Cider House Rules, Wet Hot American Summer?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Would like to know what you think of Prince Avalanche, if you ever see that. I love that film but can see you hating it maybe. Also, Rudd has been in a ton of films, can't believe you haven't seen something of his. Clueless, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet, Cider House Rules, Wet Hot American Summer?
The only one of those that I have seen is Romeo + Juliet, and I don't remember him at all--I'm surprised to find out that he was in it actually. As for the others, never was interested enough to see any of them. I watched a couple of trailers of Prince Avalanche just now, and I will respectfully pass on that one.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Dude. Seriously, next year is going to be so painful. Drop by the Canucks board if you want to feel better about your team for a minute and have a look at the forward line speculation. It's SO BAD. Like, amazing. Sedins and Vanek gone...whoops! There goes 140+ points! How to replace that? I know! 4th line grinders! With limited NTC clauses! It's so sad. It really is. And you know what the real killer is? Offseason is when all the pro-Benning accounts come back out of the woodwork to sing his praises and infest every damn thread with FOX news-level propaganda...

*breathes into paper bag*

Okay, sorry about that. Movie thread. Yes. Movies. Things people watch to entertain themselves. Let's continue talking about them.
I swear, the whole situation with Canucks management and the division between the fans feels like a picture perfect Microcosm of the whole Trump thing in general.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hereditary (2018) - 4/5
Ari Aster
"After their reclusive grandmother passes away, the Graham family begins to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry. The more they discover, the more they find themselves trying to outrun the sinister fate they seem to have inherited."

Lurid dive into the abyss of mental illness, trauma, and grief.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) - 0.5/5
Juan Antonio Bayona
"A volcanic eruption threatens the remaining dinosaurs on the island of Isla Nublar, where the creatures have freely roamed for several years after the demise of an animal theme park known as Jurassic World. Claire Dearing, the former park manager, has now founded the Dinosaur Protection Group, an organization dedicated to protecting the dinosaurs. To help with her cause, Claire has recruited Owen Grady, a former dinosaur trainer who worked at the park, to prevent the extinction of the dinosaurs once again."

Lol.

American Animals (2018) - 3/5
Bart Layton
"Spencer Reinhard, Warren Lipka, Eric Borsuk and Chas Allen are four friends who live an ordinary existence in Kentucky. After a visit to Transylvania University, Lipka comes up with the idea to steal the rarest and most valuable books from the school’s library. As one of the most audacious art heists in U.S. history starts to unfold, the men question whether their attempts to inject excitement and purpose into their lives are simply misguided attempts at achieving the American dream."

A little too stylish at times. Personally not big of half-doc/half-movie. Solid overall.

Last edited:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Jusqu'à la garde (custody): 7.4/10 good drama that had the potential to be great

Sully: 7.3/10

tag: 7/10 good comedy

Last edited:

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Sword Of Doom
4.5 stars out of 5.
LOVE this movie. As amazing as Kurosawa was, this is my favorite of the samurai films. Nakadai is unreal as his character slowly slips down the path of madness. A little poetic as this was supposed to the first film of a series but the project was cut short. It is a nice departure of the honorable samurai movies of that period. HIGHLY recommend.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Got Blade Runner 2049 and I loved it, it was hypnotic, haunting and very fitting of ridleys universe. The music/soundscapes where impressive. I strongly feel this film wil need multiple viewings and end up being a cult classic.It did for blade runner what mad max with Tom Hardy did for that series.

9/10

Up next...Shape of water

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
marlina-the-murderer-in-four-acts.jpg

Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts
(2018) Directed by Mouly Surya 7B

This movie is a brilliant take on Sergio Leone testosterone-dripping Westerns in which all the traditional tropes are turned upside down and inside and out. Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts takes a very inventive approach to its rape/revenge theme by downplaying the violence and playing up the consequences. The nasty bits are taken care of in the first of the movie's four acts. The rest of the film turns a perceptive eye to the aftermath from the perspectives of Marlina (Marsha Timothy), who totes a very lifelike human head around (she has her reasons), and from her new best friend Novi (Dea Penendra), with problems of her own (she's closing in on her tenth month of pregnancy). Suffice it to say that they find interesting ways of coping in a world stacked strongly against them. The movie is played almost like a fable with stunning cinematography and setting contributing greatly to the gorgeous sweep of the movie. While Marlina the Murder in Four Acts takes its subject seriously it also has a lot of fun messing with the hyper-male approaches evident in traditional Westerns. Director Mouly Surya's style is both smart and fresh and never the least bit ponderous or heavy handed; she has a very bright future.

subtitles

Best of ’18 so far

Foxtrot
, Maoz, Israel
Upgrade, Whannell, Australia
You Were Never Really Here, Ramsay, US
On the Beach at Night Alone, Hong, South Korea
Marlina the Murderess in Four Acts, Surya, Indonesia
Annihilation, Garland, US
First Reformed, Schrader, US

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
When a Women Ascends the Stairs by Mikio Naruse - 3.5 or 4.0 (Great/Flawless)

Ahh yes, the old "call them a sl*t that you no longer respect for allowing themselves to be taken advantage of, then confess your secret undying love and devotion to them, then dramatically slap them in the face, then make an aggressive sexual move and promise you'll take care of them and be happy together" technique. I can't believe that didn't work.

Watched this out of curiosity after reading that Koreeda cites Naruse as a more relevant influence of his work over Ozu. Leaned into a sort of bad-things-repeatedly-piling-on melodrama that usually puts me off, but I thought this was a great and memorable movie with a lot of charm, style, and tastefulness, that came together really nicely and poignantly and had a neat structure to it. Ended perfectly. Actually does remind me of Koreeda a lot more than Ozu does, and will be looking into more from this director (doesn't hurt that I really enjoy this set of recurring Japanese actors that seem to appear in all these films).

The Incredibles 2 by Brad Bird - 1.0 or 1.5 (Negative/Neutral)

Doesn't come anywhere close to the original, is a lot more predictable/formulaic, and is a lot less memorable/necessary to watch, but it doesn't betray the spirit of the original, has strong animation, and has a certain level of energy, fun, and more importantly, good sense that I find lacking in the MCU superhero movies. I'll probably forget it in a week, but I wasn't annoyed by any of it, and I kind of wish more people treated movies like this as their light-hearted guilty pleasures instead of the stuff that's usually well received.

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts
(2018) Directed by Mouly Surya 7B

This movie is a brilliant take on Sergio Leone testosterone-dripping Westerns

And I'm sold. Gonna have to look this up sometime.

When a Women Ascends the Stairs by Mikio Naruse - 3.5 or 4.0 (Great/Flawless)

Ahh yes, the old "call them a sl*t that you no longer respect for allowing themselves to be taken advantage of, then confess your secret undying love and devotion to them, then dramatically slap them in the face, then make an aggressive sexual move and promise you'll take care of them and be happy together" technique. I can't believe that didn't work.

Watched this out of curiosity after reading that Koreeda cites Naruse as a more relevant influence of his work over Ozu. Leaned into a sort of bad-things-repeatedly-piling-on melodrama that usually puts me off, but I thought this was a great and memorable movie with a lot of charm, style, and tastefulness, that came together really nicely and poignantly and had a neat structure to it. Ended perfectly. Actually does remind me of Koreeda a lot more than Ozu does, and will be looking into more from this director (doesn't hurt that I really enjoy this set of recurring Japanese actors that seem to appear in all these films).

I really liked this one too. Naruse is a really interesting filmmaker. My experience with him is that he does these melodramas, but he keeps everything understated and he makes them seem genuine. I've seen Floating Clouds as well, and I thought that was really good as well.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
And I'm sold. Gonna have to look this up sometime.

I really liked this one too. Naruse is a really interesting filmmaker. My experience with him is that he does these melodramas, but he keeps everything understated and he makes them seem genuine. I've seen Floating Clouds as well, and I thought that was really good as well.
Yeah, that seems to be Koreeda's bread and butter too, which initially took a little adjustment and hesitation for me after hearing that he was Ozu-ish, who is instead understated/genuine without any melodrama, really.

Thinking of binging through some of Naruse's others soon, including Floating Clouds, if I can get my hands on it.

amj h

Apr 11, 2018
Got Blade Runner 2049 and I loved it, it was hypnotic, haunting and very fitting of ridleys universe. The music/soundscapes where impressive. I strongly feel this film wil need multiple viewings and end up being a cult classic.It did for blade runner what mad max with Tom Hardy did for that series.

9/10

Up next...Shape of water
The dvd is just sitting on the shelf. Not seen it yet. I like Ridley scott so I picked it up. I'm even a fan of The Counseler. I'll watch it sooner based on this review.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I swear, the whole situation with Canucks management and the division between the fans feels like a picture perfect Microcosm of the whole Trump thing in general.
It absolutely is. Linden and Benning have learned every wrong horrible lesson about crowd control there is to learn in the last 4 years but zero sweet diddly-squat f*** all about how to build a good hockey team.

But this is obviously the wrong thread and forum.

We'll just have to pick this up in any thread in the Canucks forum at all from now to October.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Incredibles 2 6.8/10

Incredibles (1) 8.5/10

Ant Man & the Wasp 6.5/10

Uncle Drew 5/10 (mostly for charisma, humor, and heart)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad