Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Mystic River: 6.5-7.5/10; Well done. Sean Penn was very good.

Bernie: 6/10; I had no idea it was based on a true story until the end. The chewing part was hilarious.

Pulp Fiction: 7-8/10; Still debating if I prefer this or Reservoir Dogs. Both are behind Inglourious Basterds (which gets a rare 9-10) for me though.

The Prestige: 5-6/10; I didn't hate it and it was well made, but I didn't love it.

Still Alice: 6-7/10; Very tough to watch

The Gift: 6.5-7.5/10; One of the better thrillers I've seen lately (granted, I haven't seen too many thrillers lately)

42: 6-7/10; I enjoyed it. Can't help but think a movie of this matter could have done more though.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl: 7.5-8.5/10; Everything. This one really stuck with me and forced me to replay it the following day.

Dazed and confused: 6-8/10; What a classic. McConaughey was hilarious. L-I-V-I-N

The Place Beyond the Pines: I just watched it so I'm not quite sure how I fully feel yet. Initial rating probably around a 6.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
One of the pluses of Manchester by the Sea, at least in my case, is the longer I think about it, the better it gets. Has moved up to #3 for the year for me. With Manchester by the Sea, Things to Come, Moonlight, Paterson, Elle, and Hell or High Water, it is a great year for character studies so far.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Pretty much snowed in at work today and it is dead................watched a few movies that were on TV.

Eddie the Eagle

Went in not expecting much..........came out with a lot of laughs and smiles. What a great film and very enjoyable. Very cliché in terms of the setbacks, support and completing your goals etc but it was very uplifting and a nice change of pace from most of the stuff I watch these days.

8.5/10

Mad Max: Fury Road.

Third time seeing it, even though I was not at home or in a theatre it is just a film for me that keeps getting better every time I view it. I buy hardcopies of very few films but I think this one is making the cut and becoming one of my all time favorites/classics. I remember heading to the theatre to check it out and thinking how terrible it was going to be as I do not like cars and did not like the original Mad Max movies I had seen on TBS back in the day as a young kid...........came out blown away LOL.

9.89/10

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Moana%2BUm%2BMar%2Bde%2BAventuras.jpg

Moana (2016) Directed and written by committee 5A

Moana, a feisty girl with a father who says "no, no, no," enlists Maui, an unwilling demigod, into her quest to protect her island by returning its heart and saving its people. The Polynesian setting is fun, and there is an abundance of pretty animation, but too much of this story seems familiar despite the exotic trappings. Disney really needs to revise its basic template for heroines, freshen up these stories so that each plot doesn't seem like it came from the same cookie-cutter assembly line. While the tropical locale and culture helps overall, the music, of which there is too much, drove me nuts. There is one catchy song, a bunch of American Idol drivel, and the usual upbeat choruses, all seemingly co-penned by the Hamilton celebrity-of-the-moment, Lin-Manuel Miranda. Maybe Ghibli Studio has spoiled me and the Disney brand just seems too predictable and bubbly for my taste now. Kids will love it, though.

Last edited:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Arrival - 10/10

Man, I thought that was perfect and brilliant. One of those movies that really made me appreciate how much I love film and why I ever wanted to get into that business for the longest time. Beautifully shot, haunting score, great ideas and writing - Villeneuve is a god damn visionary.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Adaptation (2002) - 9/10
Man Hollywood was on a tear when it came to good mainstream dramas in the late 90s-early 00s, dunno why a decrease in quantity happened after that. I'd put this right near the top tier just behind The Truman Show and Memento but ahead of American Beauty, Mulholland Drive, Lost In Translation, Royal Tenenbaum's, etc.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I saw Adaptation for the first time last night. Had it down as a solid 4/5 before the final act brought it into masterpiece territory, just an absolutely wonderful feat of screenwriting.

It got me curious though, are there any other films that employ the same kind of stream of conciousness narration?

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind kinda does. Same writer.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
One of the pluses of Manchester by the Sea, at least in my case, is the longer I think about it, the better it gets. Has moved up to #3 for the year for me. With Manchester by the Sea, Things to Come, Moonlight, Paterson, Elle, and Hell or High Water, it is a great year for character studies so far.

Definitely seems like a quieter year for film. Meaning no big budget plays for Oscar. Just smart, mature films dealing with adult themes. I like it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Arrival - 10/10

Man, I thought that was perfect and brilliant. One of those movies that really made me appreciate how much I love film and why I ever wanted to get into that business for the longest time. Beautifully shot, haunting score, great ideas and writing - Villeneuve is a god damn visionary.
Everyone seems to really love this movie, and I feel bummed out for merely liking it. :laugh: Villeneuve is a brilliant director, no question, but every time I try to untangle how time works in Arrival and what the implications are, I tie myself in gnarly little knots trying to figure out what this movie is really saying.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Everyone seems to really love this movie, and I feel bummed out for merely liking it. :laugh: Villeneuve is a brilliant director, no question, but every time I try to untangle how time works in Arrival and what the implications are, I tie myself in gnarly little knots trying to figure out what this movie is really saying.

To be fair, you see alot more movies than us so ideas and things that resonated heavily with me are probably things you've seen a billion times already. :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl: 7.5-8.5/10; Everything. This one really stuck with me and forced me to replay it the following day.

Great movie and Thomas Mann captures the spirit of Greg impeccably. The movie definitely leaves an indelible mark on your mind.

On a funny side note: The school they attended in Pgh was one of the schools were my father worked. He was a teacher in Pgh Public Schools, then took a cushy job in his later years doing job placement for students around the city and Schenley happened to be one of those schools.

The school actually closed several years ago because they found asbestos in there...

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Sullivan's Travels (1940something) - 8/10

Good premise, not as dark as you would expect based on the premise but then again it was code-ear Hollywood. Veronica Lake is adorable, and in the scene below she's a lot more. Good sharp dialogue, nice change in tone later on, does what it needs to in 90 minutes no ******** minus a small musical-ish scene.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Great movie and Thomas Mann captures the spirit of Greg impeccably. The movie definitely leaves an indelible mark on your mind.

On a funny side note: The school they attended in Pgh was one of the schools were my father worked. He was a teacher in Pgh Public Schools, then took a cushy job in his later years doing job placement for students around the city and Schenley happened to be one of those schools.

The school actually closed several years ago because they found asbestos in there...

That's interesting. You know, despite them talking about Pitt State and the one scene where they show some snow flurries, I always placed the setting as San Francisico in my mind.

That also got me thinking and researching and I never realized Pittsburgh had a white majority population. Being from Detroit, you kind of just assume otherwise.

But back to movie, yeah, it's one of my favorites that I've seen lately and I can't quite scrap it from my mind yet.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Me, Earl....That movie pissed me off in terms of the plot twist (or the lack of). You know what I'm talking about, the guy saying "this won't happen" multiple times and then it happens, that's an awful device to use by the director. Ending was one of those lazy profound movies that modern films rely on sometimes with musical montages and emotional character facial expressions.

Way too much of that dis-likable kid imo compared to the other characters in the film. I guess I find movies set in high school to be pretty cringey and awkward to watch in general plus overrated unless it's a fun 80s type like Say Anything which isn't really set in high school so I thought that movie was mediocre. Might have liked it more when I was closer to high school or 18.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's interesting. You know, despite them talking about Pitt State and the one scene where they show some snow flurries, I always placed the setting as San Francisico in my mind.

That also got me thinking and researching and I never realized Pittsburgh had a white majority population. Being from Detroit, you kind of just assume otherwise.

But back to movie, yeah, it's one of my favorites that I've seen lately and I can't quite scrap it from my mind yet.

I think it took me until the movie was almost over until I realized where it was being filmed in Pgh.

Me, Earl....That movie pissed me off in terms of the plot twist (or the lack of). You know what I'm talking about, the guy saying "this won't happen" multiple times and then it happens, that's an awful device to use by the director.

That was pretty dirty...

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
45 Years: 3-5/10; I didn't care enough about the characters or their issues for that type of pace. It probably didn't help that I'm at a point in my life where I don't quite know how I feel about marriage. It also didn't help that British accents (although they were very "soft?") are like nails on a chalkboard to me. Yeah, I'm an A-hole.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
One%20mia-madre-review.jpg

Mia Madre (2016) Directed by Nanni Moretti 4B

Margherita (Margherita Buy) is a middle-aged movie director trying to hold herself together as she simultaneously directs a challenging movie with a difficult American actor (John Turturro) and watches her mother slowly drift ever closer to death after a long illness. While one stress point undoubtedly feeds the other, even at her best Margherita is an aloof, not terribly sensitive woman whose relationships are always close to crisis. Outside of a fine performance by Buy, Mia Madre has little to recommend it. It is slow and repetitive which would be okay if it also offered insights along the way into Margherita's character or into the woes that beset her. But it doesn't--it just keeps churning on like an intellectual soap opera that doesn't have any real point to make. I didn't like director Nino Moretti's last film, We Have a Pope either, which I thought was flat and lifeless despite a terrific performance by its lead actor, Michel Piccoli. Moretti is obviously good with actors but his movies can be a chore to sit through.

subtitles

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->