Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Snowden

8/10

Stone did a great job of actually making it a biography. he chronicles pretty much everything from training camp with Special Forces to his asylum in Russia. They really make it a point to show you when he starts to realize all the wrong thats going on and how he can't report anything because superiors don;t want to deal with it. It also shows you just how smart of a person he is and how he threw away a long and wealthy career in order to be a whistleblower.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Sinister: 6.5/10
Decent movie, not overly reliant on jump scares, but nothing special.

Lights out: 7.5/10
Some logical inconsistencies, but an interesting storyline, short and sweet, genuinely scary with characters who are resourceful and not expendable idiots.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: I'm biased/10
So I love the Harry Potter universe and I loved seeing it on the big screen again. I loved this movie, it isn't a perfect movie, but it has a lot of heart. Eddie Redmayne was born to act in a Harry Potter movie. The stuff with Ezra Miller's family was actually a lot darker than I'd anticipated and had some almost horror-like elements which was very interesting to see.

The Social Network: 9.7/10
Yeah so I rewatched it for the umpteenth time. Sue me. Perfect soundtrack (actually ideal music for studying), perfectly written, incredible performances, perfectly directed.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
The Witch

I had heard good things about it, and it's sufficiently creepy and disturbing but not something that will stick with me over time. In my job I dealt with a 15 year old girl who was an extra in the first scene and even she was like "It's really not that good" but I figured she's an adolescent who didn't know any better. And as advertised, it's ok at best.

4.5-5.5/10

Somewhere slightly below and slightly above average at the same time.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
American Psycho - 9.0/10

Rewatched it, still love it. Sincerely one of the funniest movies I've seen in my life.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I-Am-Not-Madame-Bovary-con-Fan-BingBing-funciona-en-comedia-y-resbala-como-drama_landscape.jpg

I Am Not Madame Bovary (2016) Directed by Feng Xiaogang 6A

As state-sanctioned film directors go, one could do far worse than China's Feng Xiaogang (Aftermath; Back in 1942) who knows how to revise past historical indiscretions without ruffling too many of the wrong feathers in the process. I Am Not Madame Bovary is the story of Li (Bingbing Fan), a woman seeking revenge on her husband who done her wrong. Qin talked Li into getting a divorce so that they could qualify for a better apartment and they would then remarry after they got it. Instead he moved into the apartment with another woman. Li, bitterly hurt by this action, sues Qin, in fact she is ready to kill Qin if need be, but justice in the courts eludes her. She continues to persist in her grievance, though, with the result that one bureaucrat after another gets involved in her plight but can't find any way to help her. Soon she becomes infamous as a crazy woman and an embarrassment to a government that wants to resolve the situation, but doesn't know how to do so. More time is spent by obsequious party officials evading criticism than helping the distraught Li. Thus, we have a tale of love gone bad and an example of the self-serving nature of Chinese bureaucracy. Feng treats the story as a cautionary parable, finding interesting ways of distancing his audience a bit from the narrative so as to soften the blows (I got the feeling sometimes that Feng would have loved to play this for comedy if he could). First the director uses a voice-over to link bits of the story together that sounds remarkably as though Morgan Freeman has just learned fluent Mandarin. I had to smile a little every time it started up. As well, Feng makes a peculiar choice, opting to project the majority of the images of the film through a big circle, which makes watching the movie akin to looking at the action through a ship's porthole. It's more annoying than anything else, but it doesn't take away from the fact that this is one of the most beautifully photographed films of the year. Overall, there is way too much repetition and, toward the end, points are underscored with a big, black felt marker. However, for all its flaws, I Am Not Madame Bovary is still a pretty good movie.

subtitles

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Anthropoid - 6/10
Falls short in execution and the pacing is all over the place (movie acts like they dropped in then assassinated him immediately with nothing else, like planning, in the middle), but still worth the watch.

Im really confused on how that movie had a 9M budget. Production value was good but nothing that screamed 9 million.

The Conjouring 2 - 7/10
full of cliches, story is eh, acting is fine.

Silentjury

Apr 19, 2014
Cartel Land - 6/10

A documentary that highlights how cartels are taking over the southern region of Mexico. Additionally, the film follows an Arizona survivalist group attempting to defend the United States border from cartels and illegal immigrants. Kathryn Bigelow, of "The Hurt Locker" fame, helped with the production of this documentary.

The stories of those involved were certainly compelling but the movie failed to connect them together, resulting in several vignettes that felt like separate 60 Minutes pieces instead of a coherent narrative.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
thumbnail_24910.jpg

Being 17 (2016) Directed by Andre Techine 7A

It has been quite a year for gay coming-of-age movies (Moonlight; Closet Monster), and Being 17 definitely follows in their footsteps. Two boys in their last year of secondary school, Damein (Kacey Mottet Klein) and Thomas (Corentin Fila), are in constant conflict, having each taken a dislike to the other. Their battles rage through the first two trimesters of school. Both boys are filled with all the insecurities of child-men. They are quick to lash out, full of nervous energy, uncertain about their place in the grand scheme of things, yet still dependent upon their families for love and support. Because Damien's mother is a doctor, the two families get involved when Thomas' mother becomes pregnant. Thomas even moves in for awhile with the Delilles where he can be closer to school. But proximity does little to alter the two boys' mutual antagonism. Neither quite seems to want to give up the struggle, though. Set in the beautiful Pyrenees in fall, winter and spring, the gorgeous countryside provides an impressive backdrop that seems to cut the boys' conflict down to size. Being 17 is coauthored by the director Andre Techine and Celine Sciamma, author and director of Girlhood and the near perfect Tomboy, two sympathetic and insightful works about children struggling with their identities. Sciamma's sense of humanity and compassion is clearly evident in this work as well. Although the movie gets a little too ambitious and goes on too long, Being 17 is easily among the better movies of the year.

subtitles

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
19afb77ef47068deac5dbe46032e969a.jpg

Eva Nova (2016) Directed by Marko Skop 6B

Once a famous actress, now a recovering alcoholic who falls off the wagon a lot, Eva (Emília Vasaryova) tries to mend some fences but is rejected at every step of the way. Even her deadbeat son, hardly a prize himself, wants nothing to do with her. Slovakia's entry in this year's Academy Awards sweepstakes presents nothing new. This portrayal of a middle-aged woman nearing the end of her rope reminded me of not one but two Glorias, the American one in 1980 directed by John Cassavettes' with Gina Rowlands and the Chilean one in 2013 directed by Sebastian Leilo with Paulina Garcia (which was not at all a remake, but something of an homage to the earlier film). As is true of the earlier movies, Eva Nova provides a huge, meaty roles for its lead actress and, like her predecessors, she knocks it out of the park. In fact, the principal attraction of this movie is watching Vasaryova infuse this sad character with humanity and even a hint of grace. Vasaryova is easily worth the price of admission.

subtitles

polepoplarpope

Nov 8, 2005
Alberta.
I watched Miles Ahead. I thought was pretty good. It's about a time in Miles Davis' career when he wasn't playing music. Don Cheadle was great in it.

4 out of 5 stars.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I watched Miles Ahead. I thought was pretty good. It's about a time in Miles Davis' career when he wasn't playing music. Don Cheadle was great in it.

4 out of 5 stars.

I heard it was more an "overdramatic emphasis" on his "action" intensive parts of his life, rather than a true biopic. I heard that from a true miles davis fanatic though, so maybe he's overanalyzing it? Said Cheadle was awesome, script was too much for a commercial audience.

polepoplarpope

Nov 8, 2005
Alberta.
I heard it was more an "overdramatic emphasis" on his "action" intensive parts of his life, rather than a true biopic. I heard that from a true miles davis fanatic though, so maybe he's overanalyzing it? Said Cheadle was awesome, script was too much for a commercial audience.

I really don't know all that much about Davis to say what the movie is, I guess. I didn't find the film shocking.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
manchester-by-the-sea1.jpg

Manchester by the Sea (2016) Directed by Kenneth Lonergan 9A

Lee (Casey Affleck) is a janitor who lives in Boston. He receives a phone call from his home town and is informed that his older brother Joe has died of a heart attack. He returns home to look after the funeral, but is thrown off guard when he is informed that Joe has made him guardian of his 16-year-old son, Patrick (Lucas Hedges). This is an unexpected responsibility that Lee doesn't want in a place that Lee desperately does not want to be. Why he would rather be anywhere else than in Manchester is made clear as the movie progresses. He has good reason for wishing to be somewhere else: there is no escaping the reality of a situation that is pretty much any person's worst nightmare. Yet despite the depths of his personal grief, Lee recognizes his obligation to Patrick, who is a good kid, and there is not much he can do but see things through. He's not happy about it, though; he's not happy about anything. First thing to know, Manchester by the Sea earns its emotions honestly. This movie is not a piece of Oscar bait that shamelessly tugs at your heartstrings. Director Kenneth Lonergan sets up a tragic but believable situation and then just lets it play out as credibly as possible. Lonergan's masterful editing ads to the impact of the film, as does Hedges fine performance as the likable Patrick. As well, the seaside New England setting in winter is used perfectly to provide a real sense of place. But it is Casey Affleck's movie. The more I found out about Lee, the more impressed with Affleck's performance I became. One of the things I liked most about Affleck's acting is his reluctance to soften Lee's character. He is closed in on himself at the beginning of the film and he remains closed in on himself throughout. This isn't a limitation in Affleck's range; on the contrary, his approach speaks directly to the emotional state of Lee for whom in all the ways that matter most, time has stopped. The only fumble Lonergan makes is minor but annoying--the choice of too many over-familiar pieces of classical music on the soundtrack (if I never again hear Albinoni's Adagio in G minor it will still be too soon...). Those pieces are stale choices for a movie that deserves much better.

Best of '16 so far

1. Things to Come, Hansen-Love, France 9B
2. Moonlight, Jenkins, US, 9A
3. The Red Turtle, de Wit, Japan/The Netherlands, 9A
4. Paterson, Jarmusch, US, 9B
5. Manchester by the Sea, Lonergan, US, 9A
6. Elle, Verhoeven, France, 9B
7. Toni Erdmann, Ade, Germany, 8B
8. Hell or High Water, Mackenzie, US, 8A
9. Under the Shadow, Anvari, Iran, 8A
10. The Handmaiden, Park, South Korea, 8A

The next day: Immediately moved it up a notch in the ratings, may not stop there. It really has a powerful afterglow.

Last edited:

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Obviously, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them marks an attempt to start a new franchise, but all we get is a charmless prequel that delivers a lot of special effects but virtually no magic.

I agree completely. I first wondered why it was in 3d but then quickly realized that without 3D there wouldn't by anything left.

I think the 4 sequels that are planned will be even worse. However I guess that is what one can expect when you have in mind that they are trying to make 5 films from a 128 pages book.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Best of '16 so far

5. Elle, Verhoeven, France, 9B
6. Manchester by the Sea, Lonergan, US, 9A

That seems like a lot of 9s -- was a little taken aback when I looked for Manchester by the Sea on your list and had to scroll down to #6.

This been a good year by your standards?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is a lot of nines, for sure. I think 2016 lacks a single movie of the quality of The Assassin, Amour, Once upon a Time in Anatolia, or Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives (all of which are "10"s by my standards), for instance, but 2016 is showing a lot of depth well into the late teens. The last year with a top ten that I liked this much was 2013:

1. Gravity, Cuaron, Mexico/US
2. Like Father, Like Son, Kore-eda, Japan
3. Blue Is the Warmest Color, Kechiche, France
4. The Act of Killing, Oppenheimer, Norway/Denmark/UK (documentary)
5. 12 Years a Slave, McQueen, UK/US
6. Upstream Color, Carruth, US
7. Before Midnight, Linklater, US
8. The Great Beauty, Sorrentino, Italy
9, A Touch of Sin, Zhanke, China
10. Omar, Abu-Assad, Palestine

The top four ended up being "9"s that year; seldom am I over three for the year at most.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is a lot of nines, for sure. I think 2016 lacks a single movie of the quality of The Assassin, Amour, Once upon a Time in Anatolia, or Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives (all of which are "10"s by my standards), for instance, but 2016 is showing a lot of depth well into the late teens.

While I agree that no movie has been especially impressive this year, I actually do not think there is that much depth. Three of your top 10, Things to Come, Elle, and Toni Erdmann, get a much lower grade from me. Elle, in particular, is in the 3 to 5 out of 10 range for me.

The last year with a top ten that I liked this much was 2013:

1. Gravity, Cuaron, Mexico/US
2. Like Father, Like Son, Kore-eda, Japan
3. Blue Is the Warmest Color, Kechiche, France
4. The Act of Killing, Oppenheimer, Norway/Denmark/UK (documentary)
5. 12 Years a Slave, McQueen, UK/US
6. Upstream Color, Carruth, US
7. Before Midnight, Linklater, US
8. The Great Beauty, Sorrentino, Italy
9, A Touch of Sin, Zhanke, China
10. Omar, Abu-Assad, Palestine

The top four ended up being "9"s that year; seldom am I over three for the year at most.

I concur with your 2013 list. Like the NBA and NHL drafts, that was a great year for movies.
:thumbu:

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
No Country for Old Men.

Why doesn't anyone just shoot Anton? Why?! I mean, it's Texas in the 80's right? As brilliantly menacing as Anton Chigurh is, he's not bloody bulletproof, is he? C'mon Woody Harrelson, you've been Mickey Knox! You were only party bald then, you can still kick ass, right? Right?!

Okay, fine.

The dramatic equivalent to The Big Lebowski in the Cohen Brothers' movie pantheon. Oddly on the APTN station tonight; my wife informs me Tommy Lee Jones has some native blood in there somewhere. Wikipedia didn't say where.

I still really like Miller's Crossing if you're going for Cohen drama. Very underrated, and it has Gabriel Byrne in it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Red Turtle - 3.5 (Great)
Loved it. Really simple premise that works and blindsides you as it develops. Loved the way it uses the familiar terrain to evoke emotion. Best of the year by default for me so far (haven't seen too many movies yet)

Bob Dylan: Other Side of the Mirror - 2.0 (Positive)
Awesome footage, none of the pointless commentary, nicely selected representation of Dylan's transition. I'd love to pick up albums of these performances/concerts.

Hell or High Water - 1.5 or 2.0 (Neutral/Positive)
Wasn't feeling this one too much, but it was fine/solid entertainment. Couldn't shake the feeling that it was just piggybacking off the Coens' aesthetic, but an easier, imitation-grade version of it with dialogue/moments/humor that occasionally misfired and felt hokey for me.

1. The Red Turtle - 3.5 (Great)
2. Our Little Sister - 2.5 (Good)
3. Kubo and the Two Strings - 1.5 (Neutral)
4. Hell or High Water - 1.5 (Neutral)
5. O.J. Made in America - 1.5 (Neutral)
6. Eight Days a Week - 1.0 (Negative)
7. Sausage Party - 0.5 (Bad)
8. Deadpool - 0.5 (Bad)
9. Hail Caesar! - 0.5 (Bad)
10. Captain America: Civil War - 0.5 (Bad)

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
While I agree that no movie has been especially impressive this year, I actually do not think there is that much depth. Three of your top 10, Things to Come, Elle, and Toni Erdmann, get a much lower grade from me. Elle, in particular, is in the 3 to 5 range for me.
But that's what makes horse races, right? All any reviewer can do is make the best case possible and let it rest. That being said, I've got Closet Monster currently as my #17 seed for 2016. That's a hell of a movie by my standards with maybe the second best performance of the year by Connor Jessup (behind Casey Affleck). Normally that film would stand a good chance of being in my top ten right now. So to me, it is a very deep year, though with no unarguably great movie at the top of the list (and, yes, I would put The Assassin is that category. Easily).

The difference between 2013 and 2016 might be that few of this year's movies (only The Red Turtle and Moonlight come to mind) do anything especially interesting with the medium. They are all just really terrific movies, just not envelope pushers. I'd say there were at least a half dozen movies in 2013 that used the medium in really creative ways and that contributed to its being such a vintage year.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
manchester-by-the-sea1.jpg

Manchester by the Sea (2016) Directed by Kenneth Lonergan 9A

Lee (Casey Affleck) is a janitor who lives in Boston. He receives a phone call from his home town and is informed that his older brother Joe has died of a heart attack. He returns home to look after the funeral, but is thrown off guard when he is informed that Joe has made him guardian of his 16-year-old son, Patrick (Lucas Hedges). This is an unexpected responsibility that Lee doesn't want in a place that Lee desperately does not want to be. Why he would rather be anywhere else than in Manchester is made clear as the movie progresses. He has good reason for wishing to be somewhere else: there is no escaping the reality of a situation that is pretty much any person's worst nightmare. Yet despite the depths of his personal grief, Lee recognizes his obligation to Patrick, who is a good kid, and there is not much he can do but see things through. He's not happy about it, though; he's not happy about anything. First thing to know, Manchester by the Sea earns its emotions honestly. This movie is not a piece of Oscar bait that shamelessly tugs at your heartstrings. Director Kenneth Lonergan sets up a tragic but believable situation and then just lets it play out as credibly as possible. Lonergan's masterful editing ads to the impact of the film, as does Hedges fine performance as the likable Patrick. As well, the seaside New England setting in winter is used perfectly to provide a real sense of place. But it is Casey Affleck's movie. The more I found out about Lee, the more impressed with Affleck's performance I became. One of the things I liked most about Affleck's acting is his reluctance to soften Lee's character. He is closed in on himself at the beginning of the film and he remains closed in on himself throughout. This isn't a limitation in Affleck's range; on the contrary, his approach speaks directly to the emotional state of Lee for whom in all the ways that matter most, time has stopped. The only fumble Lonergan makes is minor but annoying--the choice of too many over-familiar pieces of classical music on the soundtrack (if I never again hear Albinoni's Adagio in G minor it will still be too soon...). Those pieces are stale choices for a movie that deserves much better.

Best of '16 so far

5. Elle, Verhoeven, France, 9B
6. Manchester by the Sea, Lonergan, US, 9A

I am really anxious to see this movie but it's playing nowhere near me right now unfortunately. I hope it'll get a wider release. As someone who has spent much of their life in New England in the summers and winters, this setting always hits me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad