Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I watched 'Seven Days in Hell', the Andy Samberg Wimbeldon mockumentary.

I only watched about 45 minutes but it was at times hilarious and also really bizarre. Samberg's character is the highlight by a mile. It shoulda just been all about him. Jon Snow's character was boring.

3/5 Good stupid movie

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I only watched about 45 minutes but it was at times hilarious and also really bizarre. Samberg's character is the highlight by a mile. It shoulda just been all about him. Jon Snow's character was boring.

3/5 Good stupid movie
I thought most of it was kind of blegh, but that Swedish Avant Garde Courtroom Sketch Artist Movement bit was fantastic.

Last edited:

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I recently watched the movie A Bronx Tale with Robert De Niro who also directed it. Overall I enjoyed it, pretty much any mafia movie set in the 40s, 50s and 60s catches my eye. I believe the movie is somewhat a reflection of De Niro’s life plus imagination of course, as I’ve heard he’s into African American women and the main character in the movie pursues/ goes out with one. I’d give it a 7.5/10.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I thought most of it was kind of blegh, but that Swedish Avant Garde Courtroom Sketch Artist Movement bit was fantastic.

Thats the exact scene I was trying to reference without giving it away but since you've described, yeah what the hell was that?! I didn't find it particularly funny, it was just so f***ing bizarre that I couldn't help laughing about it after the fact. The avant garde sketches were funny, but going into detail about the guy who drew the Disney looking ones...o_O:laugh:

The movie basically peaks right away while Serena and others are introducing Aaron Williams. Blegh is a fair descriptor. Watch it for 30 or 40 minutes then forget about it.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
DfvW34HX4AA2oTK.jpg

BlacKkKlansman
(2018) Directed by Spike Lee 7A

In Colorado Springs in the early '70s Ron Stallworth (John David Washington), a rookie black cop, infiltrates the local Ku Klux Klan by telephone. When the Klan encourages him to join up, suddenly he needs a white accomplice to help him pull off the scam. He finds a somewhat reluctant partner in fellow officer Flip Zimmerman (Adam Driver), and between the two of them they start gathering useful inside information about the Klan's various schemes. Director Spike Lee uses this true story as a vehicle to both look at what actually happened at the time and to explore the racism that continues to plague US society. BlacKkKlansman makes several historical parallels between examples of extreme forms of racism in the past and the present political climate that, thanks to President Trump's reckless rhetoric, encourages white supremacists and their tactics of division and hatred. This movie has been called a comedy by some and "angry" by others. Though there are not infrequent moments of humour, it's definitely not a comedy. A lot of it plays like a suspense thriller in which unspeakable things could happen at any second if the officers are found out. And as for anger, Lee is actually a model of restraint. If anything, the movie has a certain educational value for viewers who may have preferred not to think too much about the problem over the years. It is a disturbing movie to watch if only because it shows so clearly how imbecilic racism is and what a terrible price in human suffering it has caused and continues to cause. Both Washington and Driver are terrific. BlacKkKlansman may be Lee's best film this century.

Best of ’18 so far

On the Beach at Night Alone
, Hong, South Korea
November, Sarnet, Estonia
Leave No Trace, Granik, US
Foxtrot, Maoz, Israel
You Were Never Really Here, Ramsay, US
Upgrade, Whannell, Australia
BlacKkKlansman, Lee, US
Annihilation, Garland, US
Black Panther, Coogler, US

Reactions: OzzyFan and Puck

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I agree with kihei. BlacKkKlansman is definitely not angry, and Lee is admirably restraint in his effort to highlight the racism in the country. The best part of the movie is definitely the eerie parallels between past and present, because they do not feel forced at all, and they really makes the audience think and reflect.

That said, I waver between a 6 and a 7 for this movie. While it is a timely and important movie, at times the pace feels dragged out and slow, as though there is not enough source material, and more content has to be added in order to make the story dramatic. Furthermore, the current news footage at the end is rather unnecessary, simply because the point is already made, and thus can feel heavy-handed. I am also not a fan of the cinematography, due to the asymmetry nature with a lot of the scenes, but that is just Lee's current personal style, which I never like to begin with. Honestly, he tries too hard to be fresh and different, but that is just a personal opinion.

Other than that, it is a well-made movie. The acting is great, and while I have been known to be critical of Adam Driver, who I am still not a fan of, he has really shown that he is a capable actor, as this is another string of performances that I like from him.

Even though I waver on the score, I would still recommend it, for the historical relevance. It is a movie of our times, and I would even say that in about a decade, it will be held as an example that reflects the current political and social climate of this decade.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I recently watched the movie A Bronx Tale with Robert De Niro who also directed it. Overall I enjoyed it, pretty much any mafia movie set in the 40s, 50s and 60s catches my eye. I believe the movie is somewhat a reflection of De Niro’s life plus imagination of course, as I’ve heard he’s into African American women and the main character in the movie pursues/ goes out with one. I’d give it a 7.5/10.

When I first watched it, I was very surprised, because I had preconceived expectations, and it is not what I thought it would be about. I would not say it is underrated, but it is definitely enjoyable. Very few movies focus on the lives of the people around mobsters, and I thought that it is rather refreshing.

For me, it is about a 6.5 to 6.75. It is not a perfect movie, as it is too one-sided in its positive portrayal of mobsters, and it can be sentimental at times, but it does not go too overboard. De Niro is rather smart to pick this small story for his directorial debut, because he kept within himself, and was not too ambitious.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

3/5 Good stupid movie

It was basically a sketch that they extended a little too long.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The film is actually based on a semi-autobiographical one-man play written by Chazz Palminteri (who stars as Sonny in the film).

The play and the film essentially launched his career.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Anime is typically really hit or miss for me-- I despise most of the tropes typically associated with them, and many of the acclaimed ones like Akira and Satoshi Kon's stuff doesn't really do it for me. But I love and always feel hypnotically drawn to animation in general more than just about anything, and there are four Anime creators/filmmakers that I have all the time in the world for-- Hayao Miyazaki, Shinichiro Watanabe, Isao Takahata, and Masaaki Yuasa. Yuasa's the youngest and currently the most active one, and he just had an impressively prolific year, releasing two films and one series that are all very high quality in animation. It's tough to objectively assess them, because the level of the animation, sense of style, and command of the visual language is so strong that it doesn't really even matter to me all that much if the substance holds up to scrutiny.

unnamed-1-600x447.png

Night is Short, Walk on Girl | Masaaki Yuasa - 3.0 (Very Good)
A pseudo-spin-off of the series, Tatami Galaxy (which I thought was fantastic) that takes place in a similar universe and feels like it has the exact same soul. It's eccentric, random/silly/non-sensical, schizophrenic/scatter-shot, and sometimes gets into questionable territory, and it's certainly not going to appeal to everyone, but I thought it all worked beautifully anyways and felt swept away by the experience. I mentioned in my Baby Driver review that things that are often labeled as being style over substance tend not to be stylish at all, and that real style is its own kind of substance-- This is kind of the perfect example of that. Has this intoxicating, fluid, energetic/vibrant, abstract, post-modern, surrealist, stream-of-conscious, acid trip feel, has a ton of strangely puzzling charm/cuteness, and expresses ideas effectively in a very odd way that doesn't seem to give a **** about anything and is tough to put a finger on. The characters have great designs and have a real sense of identity about them (I feel like, of everything Yuasa's done, the Tatami Galaxy universe feels the most like him bearing his soul), and I found the structure refreshing-- It's the typical loser-school-boy has a crush on a girl thing that is usually eye-rolling, but with diverging perspectives where the experiences of the object of his affection is the bigger focus that the narrative mostly follows, and the male who's after her is kind of secondary. I don't know if this opinion will hold up, but I was won over by the end.

sharelu_1.jpg

Lu Over the Wall | Masaaki Yuasa - 1.5 (Neutral)
It's been described as Ponyo on acid, and it does seem to lift a ton of things directly from that movie (even the name sounds like a variation of "Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea"), but admittedly, it's not anywhere near as interesting or memorable. To be honest, it feels like Yuasa trying to make something more generic, accessible and family friendly in order to fund his borderline psychotic passion projects, but Yuasa trying to be accessible is still pretty strange and unique. I thought the musical memories/montages of the towns-people's emotional/nostalgic encounters with mermaids taking their loved ones was easily the most effective thing about the movie.

1. Loveless | Andrey Zvyagintsev - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
2. After the Storm | Hirokazu Kore-eda - 3.5 (Great)
3. The Red Turtle | Michaël Dudok de Wit - 3.5 (Great)
4. Night is Short, Walk on Girl | Masaaki Yuasa - 3.0 (Very Good)
5. Get Out | Jordan Peele - 3.0 (Very Good)
6. The Third Murder | Hirokazu Kore-eda - 2.5 (Good)
7. Ladybird | Greta Gerwig - 2.0 (Positive)

----
8. I, Daniel Blake | Ken Loach - 1.5 (Neutral)
9. Blade Runner 2049 | Denis Villeneuve - 1.5 (Neutral)
10. Lu Over the Wall | Masaaki Yuasa - 1.5 (Neutral)
11. The Big Sick | Michael Showalter - 1.5 (Neutral)\

----
12. I Love You, Daddy | Louis CK - 1.0 (Negative)
13. Baby Driver | Edgar Wright - 1.0 (Negative)
14. Logan | James Mangold - 0.5 (Bad)
15. Spiderman Homecoming | Jon Watts - 0.5 (Bad)
16. The Last Jedi | Rian Johnson - 0.5 (Bad)
17. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri | Martin McDonagh - 0.0 (Terrible)

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Won’t you Be My Neighbor

This is why I hate this movie — because even criticizing it a little bit feels like you’re kicking a puppy. To knock it feels like I’m flipping the dinner table over and spilling a very pleasant meal all over the floor and all anyone else wanted to do was to sit there and enjoy each other’s company. This movie makes me feel like a jerk. But here goes....

It’s a decently constructed, semi-informative story about Mr. Rogers, a man who was exactly who we all thought he was. I guess it’s nice to feel nice and realize that there are genuine good, caring people in this world. And I am right in the nostalgia sweet spot for this and did indeed spend many days a child watching his show. But at the end of the day, that didn’t necessarily make for a compelling movie. There are moments I liked such as when he stood up to Congress to defend public television, his interactions with Koko the talking gorilla or the brief, amusing bit where friends and family dispel a few of the urban legends about him. His messages and beliefs are heartwarming, but there isn’t really anything interesting here. No real conflicts internal or external (at least any the doc is interested in exploring ...). It wasn’t like I needed/wanted/expected a takedown of the man. I didn’t. But 90 minutes of “here’s a nice story about Mr. Rogers” followed by “here’s another nice story about Mr. Rogers” followed by “here’s another nice story about Mr. Rogers” proved to be a trolley bridge too far for me. The world is undoubtedly better for Mr. Rogers existence, but I didn’t need a movie to tell me that. I am a massive jerk, though I suppose I didn't need a movie to tell me that either.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Crazy Rich Asians
2.60 out of 4stars

I went in with mixed feelings because of predictability reasons, and was decently surprised. The real life visuals (aka non-cgi) were great, there was a lot of charm + fun + charisma throughout, and a few of the side characters were scene stealing. It wasn't all roses and butterflies though: there were a good number of the usual rom-com genre troupe scenes that were tedious to sit through and didn't have any non-generic allure to them (especially in the latter half of the movie), the ending was predictable from a mile away, and of course the movie board itself was predictable in the "broad spectrum what was going to happen" as we see the how it happens play out. Oh yeah, and the side story of Nick's sister and her relationship just felt hollow and off for whatever reasons I can't express right now. And there are some eh parts, of the use and introduction of wayyyyy too many characters(most of whom being meaningless to the story), attempted slight juggling of way too many characters (especially early on), or in other words, underdevelopment of many somewhat interesting characters in favor of likely genre troupe character building of the main characters. Good, decent, worth a watch on Rental or TV, but forgettable.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Loveless the best film of 2017? You must have a heart colder than Russia.

Anyways, here's my 2017 ranking. Nothing spectacular at the top but very strong year overall, good top-20 and then it really drops off for me. I dunno if Colossal or Split count as 2017 movies but if they do then they're in the 10-20 range too. I'm not listing After The Storm, that one I'm sure is 2016.

1.) Lady Bird
BR 2049
Dunkirk
Ze Big Sick
3 Billboards
Killing of A Sacred Deer
Thor: Ragnarok
Logan
Spidy Homecoming
The Florida Project
Logan Lucky
Gifted
Wonder Woman
Wind River
Get Out
Good Time
Molly's Game
The Meyerowitz Stories
Columbus
Loveless
The Post
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
The Shape of Water
Kingsman 2
Guardians 2
Battle of the Sexes
Baby Driver
Free Fire
Orient Express
Pirates of The Caribbean
Justice League
Call Me By Your Name
Last.) Goon 2

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Got home from Slenderman. Potential to be great but kinda was meh. The net based monster similar to a blend of the Krampus and pied piper didn't get his own flavor enough. They cut a lot of stuff out to make it PG-13 but if it were R it'd have been better and because of this it was a little disjointed. End of the movie made me sad because the apparently main/co protagonist got the short end of the stick the entire time for no reason and not much was explained.

5/10 because at the end of the day, you go cause you want to see an 11 dollar movie or see the movie version of creepypasta and marble Hornets if you grew up during that

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Avengers: Infinity Wars

with JUST f***ING EVERYBODY!!!

So just after Thor: Ragnarok, Thanos attacks the ship with the last refugees of Asgard in his quest to get all the Infinity Stones and kill half the universe for...reasons, and he does, killing Loki and whatever guy Idris Elba played, but he still needs the stones on Earth and sends his guys to go get them and we rejoin Tony Stark, Spiderman, Dr Strange (who totally hates Iron Man as they're both basically the same guy but he actually has the green Infinity Stone) and other people from the other Avengers movies as they defend New York from Thanos' guys who are also in Scotland tracking the Scarlet Witch and Vision (who has the yellow Infinity Stone) who shacked up after Ultron, and in the fight Captain America shows up with Black Widow, War Machine, and whoever a skinny Don Cheadle plays now (after he hung up on a holographic conference call with William Hurt to help Cap and his buds), but then they get put on the back burner as Thor smacks up against the spaceship flown by the Guardians of the Galaxy and he gets revived and has a stupid rivalry scene with Star Lord (who's as dense as ever) and then Thor goes off with Rocket and teenage Groot to make a new weapon akin to Mjolnir but they can only get it at a defunct neutron star forge run by giant space dwarfs and Thanos already killed every there except for a giant Peter Dinklage this sentence makes perfect sense while everyone else in space goes to Titan and crafts a plot to kill Thanos before he gets too powerful but then he gets too powerful and Star Lord acts like a dick and ruins everything because he freaks out over not know what happened to Gamora...

***takes deep breath***

...and then Captain American and the people still on Earth go to Wakanda and meet Black Panther and all his pals (oh yeah...the Hulk won't Hulk, so he's stuck being Billy Crudup) and they try to get the yellow stone out of Vision but they can't really, so then more spaceships crash into the Earth and smack up against the Wakandan shield (and some white guy gets a new robot arm) and these weird robot dog things attack Wakanda through their shield and apparently nobody has the slightest idea about military tactics besides mass infantry charges despite having advanced weapons, and then more people go explody all over the place with nonstop puns and zingers and Thor gives Captain America heat about having a beard and spaceships go kablooie with raccoons shooting things and Drax gets most of the best lines as usual and this Mantis chick just kinda does her thing with wait a minute who was that guy didn't I see him in that other movie hey I wonder if the Asian guy Dr Strange left in New York got enough change together for a sandwich like he was hoping more stuff exploding with shooty things and this giant mauve alien guy smacks everyone around with his cool glove with shiny rocks...

Rated: WTF/10

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Moon
2.75 out of 4stars

Satisfying short slow burn thinking person's sci-fi movie, currently on neflix. Best to go in knowing nothing about it. Sam Rockwell, as usual, continues to prove himself one of the better character actors in Hollywood.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
A Most Wanted Man (2014) - 7/10

Has good atmosphere building like a Michael Mann film but tbh if you're gonna be a slow thriller, you need to have a better or more satisfying ending or it doesn't feel worth it.

Oh btw, Netflix is bringing ads to their service so time to finish watching most of the main things on the watchlist and cancel. Plus I'm pretty sure that x265 mkv files that you download from wherever are better quality than Netflix now unless you pay for the more expensive $14/month Netflix plan.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa

Has good atmosphere building like a Michael Mann film but tbh if you're gonna be a slow thriller, you need to have a better or more satisfying ending or it doesn't feel worth it.

Oh btw, Netflix is bringing ads to their service so time to finish watching most of the main things on the watchlist and cancel. Plus I'm pretty sure that x265 mkv files that you download from wherever are better quality than Netflix now unless you pay for the more expensive $14/month Netflix plan.
I agree with you it's a thinking person's spy story (slower pace). It might not be the nice ending people prefer but I thought it was a good realistic ending that mirrored the frustration of the times with Bush era intel agencies. It could not have gone any other way (that feel good ending would be disingenuous). Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

These ads are for other shows they have and come between Ep's and can be skipped after a couple seconds.

That's hardly a reason to cancel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad