Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The Spy Who Dumped Me
1.75 out of 4stars

Predictable/uneventful, sporadically funny spy satire thanks in large part to Kate McKinnon's wacky infectiously funny style, almost Jim Carrey-lite. McKinnon may be the most naturally/physically funny actress today, not saying writing wise, but acting on screen. Would be interesting to see her get a self starring role in a comedy over Schumer(awful, and trainwreck was overrated) or McCarthy (hit and miss). McKinnon will at minimum be entertaining, even when she's "not funny".

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Haven't posted much here, I haven't been watching many films recently, must be a Summer thing. I have been reading all the reviews though. I wish there was a better way to keep track of the many reviews here over time (when I get around to seeing them). Good to see Kihei still posting tons regularly. A positive review by Kihei does not necessarily mean I will like it. But he loves cinema more than I, so if he dislikes something, it's prolly a good bet it's not very good and I prolly won't. That's my rough barometer take on it.

Some good stuff might be coming down the pipes. Looking forward to Spike Lee's Blackkklansman with Adam Driver. I became an Adam Driver fan after Paterson (not Star Wars haha). There's also Drew Goddard's Bad Things at the El Royal with Jon Hamm and Jeff Bridges, that might be decent.

I also hear they are filming Girl in the Spider's Web (4th book) with Claire Foy as Lisbeth Salander but that release might take awhile. And Amazon Prime is reviving the Jack Ryan series with John Krasinski in the title role, that might be worth a look later.

p.s. almost forgot, an Orson Wells documentary film coming out, The Eyes of Orson Wells (A highly personal film essay from maverick filmmaker Mark Cousins).
Orson Welles: actor, director… painter?

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Extinction: 5.5/10. Basically exactly what you'd expect.

the "switcharoo" twist was the most interesting part of the movie, and raised it from a 4.5 to a 5.5

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
A positive review by Kihei does not necessarily mean I will like it. But he loves cinema more than I, so if he dislikes something, it's prolly a good bet it's not very good and I prolly won't. That's my rough barometer take on it.

I'm the exact opposite in regard to @kihei . I like many movies that he hates. Recently "Player One" would be one. He hates Forest Gump, which I think is ridiculous. But if he really really likes something I will make the extra effort to search it out and usually I'm not disappointed I did so.

Reactions: kihei

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I'm the exact opposite in regard to @kihei . I like many movies that he hates. Recently "Player One" would be one. He hates Forest Gump, which I think is ridiculous. But if he really really likes something I will make the extra effort to search it out and usually I'm not disappointed I did so.
We're all different. I actually don't mind being in disagreement with anyone about a film. I do appreciate though someone writing a more lengthy explanation about why or what worked for them in a film and what didn't. Some people just put a rating and add a one liner on whether they liked it or didn't, but that doesn't say much. I used to do that too but decided to make an effort and do a more lengthy review sometimes and you know what. I didn't find it easy to translate those thoughts on paper. It's one thing to sit at a coffee shop and discuss a movie, for some reason I just found it more difficult to write the same thing. I tend to find Kihei and some more serious cinephiles here more forgiving on many artistic films than myself, and they like a broader range than I do. I don't have that wider scope. That's all I meant really. They tend to give many films a higher rating than I would, so when they give those artsie films a low rating, I won't even bother to look (my opinion would prolly be worse still). On the other hand if they give some obscure film a good rating, I might search it out and discover something I like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika and kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The reasons my reviews tend to be longer and more detailed has mostly to do with me figuring out what I think. I find I can do that a lot easier in writing than I can in speaking (which of course doesn't prevent me from trying unfortunately), so I actually look forward to the writing part quite a bit. On the other hand, while I prefer to see movies that are challenging and innovative and original, that make me think, I just like movies in general--still, I feel way more comfortable with the artsy stuff than with the mainstream stuff where sometimes there doesn't seem to be much meat on the bone. I'm glad people find some of my reviews of interest. It certainly happens a lot the other way around, too. There are dozens of movies I wouldn't have seen and one genre, horror, that I probably would never have explored if it hadn't been for recommendations and commentary by others on this thread.

Puck, I definitely hope you start writing reviews in here. I look forward to reading more of your stuff. LZ, wish you popped up more often on this thread, too. Even when we disagree, your opinions always give me something to think about.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Mission Impossible: Fallout

Just a dumb, fun spectacle flick. Lots of eye-rolling moments and more than a few needless dream sequences, but the action is insanely well cheorographed, the pace is frantic and fun, and the camp is great. Definitely a great big screen flick. 8/10

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Without exaggeration, Kihei's reviews have completely reshaped my preferences as a whole. I used to get a sort of empty sense of enjoyment from the types of movies that usually became popular and assumed that this was the best that movies ever got (and assumed that getting sick of them over time/rewatches and not really caring about them after a while was just how movies were supposed to work), while completely neglecting and being intimidated by the art side of them. Started to plug away at his recommendations and occasionally hit films that completely changed my perception and blew me away (while knocking the stuff I used to think I liked further and further down to the point of complete resentment and irrelevance). Over time, I started gaining a better understanding of what actually works for me and what doesn't-- While obviously I'm outclassed in terms of knowledge and understanding, I find that my disagreements with him usually involve being more unforgiving about some types of things (or just things being above my patience level/comfort zone), but the stuff I like most usually comes from the same pool that he draws from and feel like I'm just piggybacking off the opinions of his that I agree with.

I'm still not great at consistently expressing my thoughts and feelings or intellectualizing this stuff, though, in person or in writing, so sometimes I just prefer to do the one-liner thing and feel that writing a real cohesive review feels more like a chore that's mostly outside of my ability/comfort zone. I can articulate what I dislike a little easier, but when I get into something, it's usually just a vomit of feelings and buzz words that hopefully, on a good day, might only have a nugget or two of truth or useful information.

This board as a whole has kind of had that effect on me, really, being impressionable and learning/adopting sensibilities from various posters as I become exposed to them. It's great. I just cringe thinking back at the kinds of things that I liked before posting here.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Without exaggeration, Kihei's reviews have completely reshaped my preferences as a whole. I used to get a sort of empty sense of enjoyment from the types of movies that usually became popular and assumed that this was the best that movies ever got (and assumed that getting sick of them over time/rewatches and not really caring about them after a while was just how movies were supposed to work), while completely neglecting and being intimidated by the art side of them. Started to plug away at his recommendations and occasionally hit films that completely changed my perception and blew me away (while knocking the stuff I used to think I liked further and further down to the point of complete resentment and irrelevance). Over time, I started gaining a better understanding of what actually works for me and what doesn't-- While obviously I'm outclassed in terms of knowledge and understanding, I find that my disagreements with him usually involve being more unforgiving about some types of things (or just things being above my patience level/comfort zone), but the stuff I like most usually comes from the same pool that he draws from and feel like I'm just piggybacking off the opinions of his that I agree with.

I'm still not great at consistently expressing my thoughts and feelings or intellectualizing this stuff, though, in person or in writing, so sometimes I just prefer to do the one-liner thing and feel that writing a real cohesive review feels more like a chore that's mostly outside of my ability/comfort zone. I can articulate what I dislike a little easier, but when I get into something, it's usually just a vomit of feelings and buzz words that hopefully, on a good day, might only have a nugget or two of truth or useful information.

This board as a whole has kind of had that effect on me, really, being impressionable and learning/adopting sensibilities from various posters as I become exposed to them (organically and genuinely, though). It's great. I just cringe thinking back at the kinds of things that I liked before posting here.

You're selling your writing short. There's something incredibly genuine and heart-warming about it, IMO. It's like a kid getting excited at the sight of a lollipop and being uncompromising about its effect. Sorry for the bizarre comparison. I just think it fits/is the first thing that came to my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

This board as a whole has kind of had that effect on me, really, being impressionable and learning/adopting sensibilities from various posters as I become exposed to them (organically and genuinely, though). It's great. I just cringe thinking back at the kinds of things that I liked before posting here.

Delete

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
This is OT but I've always found writing to be a great way of discovering who we are as a singular person. The things we don't realize we know and feel before letting loose with a pen or keyboard is incredible. It truly makes you realize the duality between how alike we all are, and at the same time how unique through understated and peculiar ways.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Two points: Point one, you have commented on a lot of different positions on a lot of different threads, often making fine, subtle distinctions between and among ideas. That's a major skill. As well, I envy how in touch with your feelings you are when it comes to artistic judgements, which is something I can struggle with and often do. That adds a valuable ingredient to your evaluations in my book and makes your comments fun to read. So, while confidence in your writing might be an issue, writing itself doesn't appear to be a problem, to this reader anyway. Point two, like tennis or tiddly winks, writing gets a lot easier with practice--the more you write, the better you are going to get and the more comfortable you are going to feel.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Utøya 22. juli (2018) dir. Erik Poppe

This year there's two movies about the Utøya terrorist attack, where Anders Bering Breivik killed more than 60 members of the youth wing of the Norwegian Labour party. One is made by Paul Greengrass, but with a Norwegian cast, and from what I understand, will focus a lot on Breivik, the perpetrator. The other is this one. Filmed in real time in a single take. The film lasts an hour and a half, and the attack lasted for around 75 minutes. So viewers get to experience every painful moment of this attack. The main character is Kaja (Andrea Berntzen), an idealistic young woman with big ambitions in politics. At the start of the attack she gets separated from her younger sister, who was only present because Kaja pressured here to be there, and Kaja tries to find her sister during all the chaos, and without getting killed herself in the process.

This might be one of the scariest movies I've ever watched. We don't ever really see the shooter, but we never know where he is, and where he will pop up next. The only thing that tells us he's around is the constant sound of gunfire in the background. Because of single take hand held camera, as a viewer you are very much a part of the experience, and you really don't want to. You are trapped on a small island with a cold blooded killer, and you could die at any moment, and it's all so random, there's no reason why some live and some die.

It's a not often that a movie affects me as much as this movie did. But I still don't know if I can call it a good movie. It's an experience, one I don't want to repeat, but it's also one I think a lot of people needs to have. It's not really a fun film to watch, but it has to at least a 100 times worse to have actually been there. But this is probably the closest you can get without being there. I'm not sure you are exiting this movie enlightened in any way either. But that's not really the point either, the first line spoken in the movie is "you are never going to get it", spoken directly at the camera.

If I had to, I'd call this a great movie. But just after writing that I go back to thinking it feels totally fetishistic to want to watch it at all. But maybe it can be both at the same time. The subject matter is just so absurd. It feels like a teenager horror flick, but it actually happened.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I'm still not actually sure if I want to see it. Basically for all the reasons you mentioned. Sounds like a very claustrophobic film, in a way.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Concussion 9/10

It really made me think about just how corrupt things really are and how hard difficult things must've been for Dr.Bennet. A guy who didn't really even understand the point of football, but wanted to know what was actually causing such young men to go down hill so quick.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I'm still not actually sure if I want to see it. Basically for all the reasons you mentioned. Sounds like a very claustrophobic film, in a way.

I don't blame you at all for that. If you end up watching it, I'd love to read your thoughts on it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Justice League 5.5/10

I'll just start with the cons. First off, the writing. Save for the Clark/Lois reunion scenes the writing in this movie ranged from barely passable to downright horrendous. I don't know what it is about DC in its current state that they're unable to construct a narrative without scenes that feel shoehorned in to check marks off a list for what each individual character needs for his/her own subplot but there were a few notable examples that drove me up a wall. Firstly the whole, Wonder Woman needs to step into the spotlight and be a leader thing. The interruptions to create these conflicts felt really out of place and should have been handled more fluidly. Lois' conversation with Martha Kent was also pretty unbelievable and unnatural. You could even tell the writers feared that's how the exposition would be received so they tried to shoehorn in some jokes that fell flat. Even worse though was Aquaman's interaction with Atlantis Amber Heard. The interjection of expository background used there was Birdemic levels of bad and I nearly turned the movie off right then and there. Hey we just got done with a fight that nearly killed us and seemed to have killed many others, let's stop and talk about how you grew up apart from your people and have always been an outlaw type and then I'll link it into "you need to go be a hero now cause it was your dead parent's job." it honestly made my skin crawl. Also the poor script resulted in pretty significant pacing issues.

Zach Snyder's horrendous visual style still has its mark on this film. It worked okay in 300 but it's been totally out of place in the DCU. And the funny thing is they took criticism that things looked too grim dark and decided, well let's give them an explosion of color in the last act. But it was executed so poorly its almost unreal. At this point in human development there's really no excuse for CGI to look that bad and that's without mentioning Superman's CGI'd off mustache. How can the creative team behind the DCU look at the MCU and think the answer to trying to one up them in terms of visuals is to go Star Wars prequels on everything? The only good looking backdrops were the Kent farm and the upward shot of Metropolis as Superman blasts off at the end.

I'll grant you, I can understand making things look significantly surreal given that this is a medium based on comic books but the DCU, save for 2/3rds of Wonder Woman hits too much of a middle mark and it looks terrible.

I don't understand how they go from strict realism of the Nolan Batmans, see Marvel that seamlessly integrated CG with real effects and set locations, and put out this continually unsightly product. The hiring of Zach Snyder was a total and utter mistake. And the irony of it all is that his best entry as far as visuals go, was his first, Man of Steel. Which was awful for different reasons.

Last con: not sure who played Cyborg but I gotta say, I hope the goal was to have a robotic and forgettable character cause that's exactly what I got from his performance

And yet, I still arrived at a 5.5 which is well above garbage. So, the positives.

While the pacing suffers horrendously at the beginning with all the pinballing character threads, once the team actually is together things proceed more smoothly. For the most part.

Ezra Miller was a slam dunk casting in my view. My only experience with the Barry Allen/Flash character is through the DC animated Justice League series from back in the day so I can't speak to fidelity but Miller grounded the character in believable vulnerability and razor sharp comedic timing.

Gadot and Affleck were still fine to good in their roles and had decent chemistry despite a really schlocky character subthread. I still think Bale made a better Bruce Wayne.

Cavill in general I feel has gotten much better at acting as his career has progressed (evidenced by the new Mission Impossible too). His line delivery is no longer as stiff and awkward as I felt it was in Man of Steel. His version of Clark Kent/Superman is still pretty boring but I mean...thats just the character.

The cast in general was likable except in times where the writing really suffered and not even charm could save the part in question.

Steppenwolf wasn't offensively bad. Ugly design. Ultimately forgettable but in watching the line delivery was decent.

I thought Irons as Alfred was pretty funny constantly griping about Bruce's love life.

Not as bad as BvS. Not as bad as Suicide Squad. But not nearly the kind of epic culmination of characters it should have been. DCU STILL needs a hard reset on its plan of attack and presentation.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You're selling your writing short. There's something incredibly genuine and heart-warming about it, IMO. It's like a kid getting excited at the sight of a lollipop and being uncompromising about its effect. Sorry for the bizarre comparison. I just think it fits/is the first thing that came to my mind.
Two points: Point one, you have commented on a lot of different positions on a lot of different threads, often making fine, subtle distinctions between and among ideas. That's a major skill. As well, I envy how in touch with your feelings you are when it comes to artistic judgements, which is something I can struggle with and often do. That adds a valuable ingredient to your evaluations in my book and makes your comments fun to read. So, while confidence in your writing might be an issue, writing itself doesn't appear to be a problem, to this reader anyway. Point two, like tennis or tiddly winks, writing gets a lot easier with practice--the more you write, the better you are going to get and the more comfortable you are going to feel.
Thanks. Just an acknowledgment of a weakness. I think I can be logical and communicate arguments and ideas alright, and I can express enthusiasm (although I think most people can), but when it comes to intellectualizing what I like about something into a concise/cohesive/convincing argument about what exactly it's doing, and how exactly it succeeds/fails, I'm not a huge fan of my writing. I find myself relying a lot on vagaries, like "this feels cheesy", "this feels manipulative", or "this feels poignant", and leaving it at that, unable to delve into the cause of the effect.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Thanks. Just an acknowledgment of a weakness. I think I can be logical and communicate arguments and ideas alright, and I can express enthusiasm (although I think most people can), but when it comes to intellectualizing what I like about something into a concise/cohesive/convincing argument about what exactly it's doing, and how exactly it succeeds/fails, I'm not a huge fan of my writing. I find myself relying a lot on vagaries, like "this feels cheesy", "this feels manipulative", or "this feels poignant", and leaving it at that, unable to delve into the cause of the effect.

Oh god, I'm in this boat too. It's so hard to find the words sometimes and you just end up falling back into the same phrases. I sometimes FEEL like I know what I'm thinking, but can't put the words to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->