Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ProstheticConscience, Jul 8, 2018.

1. ORRFForever

ORRFForever Registered User

Wow! You are a hard marker.

Violenza Domestica likes this.
  2. ORRFForever

Duplicate post. Delete.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. ORRFForever

Duplicate post. Delete.

4. KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe Hey! We won!

Sicario: Day of the Soldado. The first movie was one of the best of 2015 IMO. The second ... is not. It doesn’t say anything politically or morally that wasn’t already said in the first one — other than the somewhat ham-handed work in the opening 10 minutes or so to make its issues “world” issues. The timing on that point is either fortunate or unfortunate given some of the current real life debates happening in the U.S. The first movie is a real white knuckler. This one isn’t. The action is fine, but not spectacular. Del Toro and Brolin can scowl and growl with the best of them. It takes my biggest complaint about the first movie (Del Toro’s cliched backstory) and leverages that in a way that on paper bothers me, but in the film works ok. Testament to the actor. It’s mostly just spinning wheels though to get to a part three that I don’t know we need (especially if it’s going to be a hackneyed revenge tale they’re clearly setting up).

Leave No Trace. Deborah Granik’s first movie, Winter’s Bone, was my favorite of 2010. Her belated follow up is among the best of 2018. A damaged war vet (Ben Foster) and his daughter (a wonderful Thomasin MacKenzie) are making a life living off the land (with some dips into proper society for occasional groceries) in an Oregon park. But when they’re discovered, it throws their peaceful existence into flux and sends them searching for a new place — and perhaps a new way — to live. It’s probably an odd parallel to make here, to compare this movie to one about women working at a faux-Hooters, but Support the Girls is still in my head, so here I go. Both are about good people doing their best to make a life, to lead a family even, in a world that has other assumptions. Both are gentle films that understand their characters completely. Both earn your investment and you worry about the harm and hurt that may lay in store for them. I hope Granik works more. While the wilderness of Winter’s Bone was chilly and barren, the world of Leave No Trace is, for the most part, beautiful and almost idyllic. You can almost see the appeal. It’s not the threat. It’s also a career best performance from Ben Foster, who can be a great hot-head, but shows a real deftness here with a smaller, more internal character. His casting is actually great in the sense that his history as an actor constantly had me on edge for when he’d inevitably boil over (whether or no he does I’ll leave for you to find out...)

kihei likes this.
  5. Osprey

Osprey Registered User

For what it's worth, I would rate it the same as him. It's not a movie for everyone and I, unfortunately, am in the minority that it didn't resonate with. I didn't dislike it, but can't say that I liked it, either, so 5/10 is what I would give it. That's what you get with a rating system based entirely around personal reaction. It doesn't try to rank films by objective quality. For example, me giving Rampage a 6/10 doesn't mean that it's a better film than Sicario, just that I enjoyed my time watching it a little more. I could give Sicario a higher score for technical and artistic reasons and because I feel pressured to get in line with critical praise, but that feels a little disingenuous because I didn't exactly enjoy the film and it's just not the type of rating system that I've decided to go with. People who, instead, grade more by objective quality do often try to score films relative to others (such that they could eventually make a list from them that would seem be in logical order), so the subjective system must seem pretty perplexing at times.

6. senior edler

senior edler your alternate captain

Does this film have any similarities with Picnic at Hanging Rock? (which I like) Like, explanation wise (if you know what I mean)? I thought about watching it, but then I looked at the set-up and thought for myself some stones are probably better left unturned. I don't want anyone to try The Signal-Man or A Descent into the Maelström either. Would be weird (and likely slightly underwhelming).

7. ORRFForever

No. The premise is not the same, nor is the ending - or lack thereof. Having said that, I have not seen Picnic At Hanging Rock in 30 years so don't quote me. :)

8. Nalens Oga

Nalens Oga Registered User

Sanjuro (1962) - 8.5/10

I'd say this is slightly better than Yojimbo even though the ending isn't as grand, has less build-up, and the setting isn't as good. It works better because there's a delicious game of cat and mouse going on, plus the characters are less aggravating and everything seems a bit more concise.

9. Puck

Puck Ninja

These aren't movies but after watching the Globe Awards on Sunday I took a peek at both The Kominsky Method (Netflix) and Barry (HBO). Obviously one could say Hollywood loves movies about itself. I enjoyed both but the former the most. If you haven't seen The Kaminsky Method yet, I'd recommend it. I did go out of my way to go see Green Book after Sunday and I loved it. I would put it in my top 3 for this year. I haven't decided on my best of 2018 list yet but so far these would be tops in no order (English language):

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Green Book
    Leave No Trace.

(too many film threads, I might have put this in the wrong one) ;)

kihei likes this.
  10. Violenza Domestica

Violenza Domestica Registered User

I consider my ranking to be pretty objective/fair even though it's based on my reaction to films. I can enjoy A LOT being bored to death by a movie if it's well done (Un homme qui dort for example), and sometimes "funnier" stuff really bore me because they're so redundant (pretty much any superhero flick). The films I gave 10s and 9s to are the films I consider to be "objectively"/fairly the best.

11. ORRFForever

Full Disclosure : I had very little knowledge of R. Kelly going in. I wouldn't have been able to name even one of his songs - TBH, I still can't. I'd heard references to him in popular culture, but those references meant nothing to me.

*******************************************************************************************

Surviving R. Kelly [2019] :

Like no documentary you've ever seen, because it's like no story you've ever heard. Simply unreal.

6 episodes. 360 minutes. I couldn't turn it off.

9/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  12. ORRFForever

Is it corny?

13. Arizonan God

Arizonan God Registered User

Private Life (dir. Tamara Jenkins)

A literary New York couple in their 40's are trying to conceive, and boy it's not going well. Didn't really engage with the narrative here. It was okay, but a bit predictable and surprisingly, not as emotionally satisfying as I thought it would be. The humour also didn't land much for me. Solid central performances from Paul Giamatti and Kathryn Hahn help it's case, and it's shot really well. Overall, not good, not bad. Just, there.

5/10

Available to stream on Netflix

14. Puck

Puck Ninja

I didn't think so but your mileage may vary, I love road movies. However I may have a tendency to like the last movie I watched too much sometimes and after a few days the effect wears off a bit. I'm impressed with the quality of African-American films this year. I think the only one left I have not seen is Beale Street and I hear that is pretty decent too. I think I would put Black Panther only about 5th on the list of African-American films so far this year: Black Panther is a high budget glossy production (I liked it) but I'd dole out more personal preference points to a true life drama than a flashy superhero film. The Academy might disagree with me (and you might too), but I'm just posting my own preferences. We all come from different backgrounds and a different set of experiences, so different opinions are all ok in my book.

15. ORRFForever

Me too. Funny how that happens.

16. kihei

kihei Registered User

Me, three.

17. ORRFForever

Another thing I've noticed...

When I was young, if I liked a movie, I'd watch it over and over, again. I saw Goodfellas, in the theater, 25+ times.

Now, I never watch movies a 2nd time. Now sure if it's because there are so many available, or perhaps it's because I'm older and I've realized life's too short, but "I, Tonya" was the last movie I've watched a 2nd time - and, no coincidence, it was my choice for the best movie of 2017.

18. Puck

Puck Ninja

It can work the other way around too sometimes. For example, I did not know what to think after watching Burning. But it was an earworm in my head for several days after and it grew more on me. I was thrown off somewhat from thinking at first I was watching a light romantic drama, then it went darker. It took a neural adjustment to adjust and accept. But I liked it more several days later, after that adjustment.

19. GarbageGoal

GarbageGoal Becky Two Belts

I finally got around to Passengers as I burn thru all the movies on my DVR before it's replaced.

I thought the end was a moral cop out. They end up providing reasons and a "no harm no foul" escape hatch which justifies why Pratt's character doing what he did was in fact helpful to saving everyone's life even if it had nothing to do with why he did it. At the end of the day it's a pretty decent watch and sure to open up debate if you watch it with a group, but it's still a little too Hollywood ending to be credited as a gutsy film. 6/10

20. ORRFForever

Still haven't found Burning on line. :thumbd:

21. Shareefruck

Shareefruck Registered User

Software Developer
    Basically, initial reactions are always super flawed, and the combination of re-watching and time passing always results in perceptions about movies becoming more accurate to what they deserve in reality, IMO.

22. CycloneLaunch

CycloneLaunch ...

I feel this way about a lot of Wes Anderson movies.

Saw Vice as well recently, i found it interesting but I was expecting a little bit more. Bale and Rockwell are both great. I’m not sure about the accuracy of it but Bush comes off as a real patsy in this whole thing. It feels like something was missing from the movie but I can’t figure out what, maybe it’s cause the ‘bad guys’ don’t really get their comeuppance it feels like an unfinished story.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe likes this.
  23. Nalens Oga

Nalens Oga Registered User

Million Dollar Baby (2004) - 8/10

Devastatingly emotionally manipulative but I'm emotionally manipulable

24. OzzyFan

OzzyFan Registered User

Vice (2018)
    2.15 out of 4stars

A somewhat interesting behind the scenes look on Cheney's politcal and family life's. I went in expecting dark comedy, satire, and heavy drama. Instead what I got was pretty much a very restrained spin on a very impactful yet contained man. It was not nearly as convincing or polarizing as it thinks it is or wants to be.....unless the point was to prove that political power can be extended near limitlessly and heavily abused without notable consequences, but that's generally a historical given anyway. Huh. Bale was as amazing as one could expect in the role I'd say, not sure this is oscar worthy material though. But I have no idea who's even in the running now for that title, could be a weak year?

CycloneLaunch likes this.
  25. Fantomas

Fantomas Registered User

People liking Green Book makes me weep for humanity. That was some pathetic white savior garbage.

Also look what Tony Lip's son has been up to. And I bet he's less racist.

[​IMG]