Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Last OT Jason Momoa remark: Mrs PC and I have been going through Boardwalk Empire on crave, and when we were done with the episode we were watching, I flipped the tv input back to the cable signal, and Jason Momoa was just being introduced on Jimmy Fallon. He runs out onstage, charges over to the band to shake hands, and my wife flips the channel saying: "Oh, what's the point. he's wearing a shirt."

:laugh:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Vice. (insert shoulder shrug emoji). “Who is this for?” seems to be a question central to many of the criticisms of Vice. It’s obviously not interested in winning hearts-and-minds of the opposition and for its supporters, it’s clearly preaching to the choir. Prior to seeing Vice, I felt this complaints was a little silly. Movies aren’t news reporting and aren’t beholden to the conventions of that realm. Having a POV is great. Even if it’s a smug, self-satisfied one, it is at least a view. Besides, we libs need a few laughs these days right?

Then I saw the movie and I understood. Vice is not particularly informative or insightful. It’s a movie of potshots at people who I believe are eminently deserving potshots (if not more). I shed no tears for them. It affirms some views I (and many others) hold, but doesn’t really expand/enlighten them in any way. Though my politics align with the filmmakers, I left the movie feeling -- not wiser, not inspired, not even entertained exactly. I felt nothing. If you’re going to play in politics and satire, it feels as if there should be a call to action. If you’re going to preach to the choir, then preach, man, preach. I felt none of that here. I laughed a few times.

This brings us back to the “Who is this for?” query. And the answer is really quite clear: It’s for the filmmaker and performers. The movie is for them, for the meta explanatory flourishes (used far more effectively in The Big Short), for the weight gain and makeup work, for the accents and the wigs, for the winky in-jokes. Vice is a film that’s constantly patting itself on the back. The audience is superfluous. If it were never seen by anyone (except Awards Voters, of course) I suspect every person involved would still be quite pleased with themselves. That’s fine. But that’s all it really is — fine.

Reactions: Amerika

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Yeah, Bridge of Spies is quintessential Oscar bait. I will still recommend it though, because at the very least, Spielberg is a capable director, and he made an entertaining movie that got me invested at all the twists and turns. More importantly, I am somewhat impressed that he made Hanks care, as it was one of Hanks' better recent performances, and that is very hard to do these days.
:laugh:

I really did not care about The Post. Nothing about it feels authentic.

FACT: The biggest budget expense in both Bridge of Spies and The Post was the postage paid for Spielberg to mail both of those movies in.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Spielberg and Hanks deserve one another. Hanks only wants to play bland good guys and Spielberg aims to please even if it is to the detriment of his movie (I so hate the ending of AI: Artificial Intelligence, but most of his 21st century movies have an ingratiating quality that irritates the hell of me. I mean, why the final scene in Bridge of Spies, for instance). A pox on both their Porsches.

AI could have ended hauntingly and beautifully with the car in the ocean facing the Blue Fairy.

Reactions: kihei

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Now we enter the Wasteland months. Between now and How to Train Your Dragon III in late February, if a tempting movie pops up, it will be a miracle.

Don't be so pessimistic. Arctic with Mads Mikkelsen comes out February 1st. Sure it might not be as good as the anual "Viggo Mortensen Walks Across Rugged Terrain", but I'll settle for Mads since it seems Viggo went with a car this year instead.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Rio Bravo [A-]
Smokey & The Bandit [B-]

Prepare to be entertained. Both movies rely almost entirely on the charisma of their stars. Rio Bravo has the most semblance of a story but its not exactly John Ford. No poetic reflections on nation-building; the western setting is mainly an excuse for male bonding and putting jerks in their place. The real wild west would probably eat guys like Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson for breakfast, but hey. They do some good crooning together. John Wayne is at his John Wayniest. How the west was fun. Smokey & The Bandit must be one of the worst movies ever made, but I'll probably end up watching it again if it ever crosses my TV. Sally Field is cute, Burt Reynolds is cuter, but nothing's sexier than that black Trans-Am. Fave line: Sally: "Do you like Elton John?" Burt: [pauses] "No."

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bird Box [2018] (* Netflix *) :

Medusa pays a visit and the results are not pretty as people start killing themselves by the millions. There are few survivors. Sandra Bullock and two adorable kids (named Boy and Girl) try and find their way to safety.

Bird Box breaks three of MY cardinal rules of movie making :

1) Don't put young kids in harm's way - it's a cheap/easy way to build suspense and it's too upsetting;
2) Don't ask me to suspend disbelief (over and over again);
3) Don't outstay your welcome.

Bird Box does all three in spades. Still, I quite enjoyed this Netflix Original that is equal part The Fog, The Walking Dead and A Quiet Place.

7/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Bumblebee (2018)
2.55 out of 4stars

Has more depth, heart, fun, meaning, and acting quality(Steinfeld) than any other previous LaBeouf/Wahlberg Transformers franchise movie. That said, it's kid aimed and given my audience's reaction, nails it's target. Satisfying, but nothing groundbreaking. And oh yeah, tons of action.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Welcome To Leith [2015] :

As per Rotten Tomatoes...

"'Welcome to Leith' is a feature documentary chronicling the attempted takeover of a small town in North Dakota by notorious white supremacist Craig Cobb. Filmed in the days leading up to Cobb's arrest for terrorizing the townspeople on an armed patrol and his subsequent release from jail six months later, the film is an eerie document of American DIY ideals. "

This documentary is sad on so many levels.

7/10

Movie Trailer :

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Favorite (2018) - I think it's Lanthimos weakest effort yet. I'll give him credit for taking the time to tell his story and letting it develop, but I don't think it amounted to much. I found the peripheral shots incredibly distracting and like a gimmick without a point. The sets were incredible, but there were too many flaws in this one for it to add up to anything worth re-visiting. The deadpan humor felt forced and inauthentic, as if it came from someone who's not funny but knows what funny looks/sounds like, and I can't say that the dramatic actors had much comedic timing at all. Even Emma Stone, who actually has been funny before in her life, felt off in the humorous moment. I appreciate the attempt/idea of it, which could contrasts well with the atmosphere and setting of the film, but I don't think it was executed very well. It truly felt like the actors were only reciting their lines without any room for spontaneity/improvisation. The soundtrack to the film was rather well-done, with the alarm-like sound present throughout certain scene being the standout. But none of the acting performances felt inspired, outside of Olivia Colman as the queen of England, who commended the attention of the viewer whenever she was on the screen. A tedious affair that did some things well, but ultimately was very forgettable. Fantastic last scene, though. Full marks on that one.

Buffalo '66 (1998) - An all-time favorite. Feel nothing but inspired after I watch it. It's aesthetic appeal is distinct in the best of ways, and I found its approach to story-telling highly original, with the main plot and subplot intertwining perfectly for both resonating emotional and (dark) humorous effect. I adore how Gallo will pause his movie just to let one of the characters have their moment in the sun with a neat, aesthetically pleasing number (yet it never feels forced, but as natural as Brown's anger or Leyla's naivety) and the music throughout the film complements the scenes and characters to perfection. Every actor does a perfect job, and the grimy setting of Buffalo contrasts gorgeously with the odd flashy colors present throughout the piece, which gives the sense of how much Gallo seems to have understood Cinema's primary visual appeal (I found the dialogue/writing very good, but I believe the movie to be a visual masterpiece above all else). Just absolutely first-rate, IMO. Have never seen anything quite like it. Definitely unique.

member 51464

Senna - 8/10

I really like how the documentary makers framed his life. It didn't seem destined for tragedy, but the man seemed too idealistic to really last in this world.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The Fire Within (1963) - 8/10

A shame they don't make many good talkative films today, especially about depression and suicide. When they do then they often introduce unecessary suspense. This film on the other hand just does a straightforward no bullshit portrayal of a depressed man and then shows some French new-wave type pretentious but filled with truth type conversations.

Oldboy (2003) - 7.5/10

Was expecting a revenge film, this was far more messed up. Stylistically, very diverse acting as a comedy in the first half but I couldn't buy into either the villain or the protagonist.

Europa (1991) - 7.5/10

Good concept in Von Trier's movie but the facade starts to fall in the final third. It's hard to have a main character who you treat as a blank for other people to talk to but then suddenly decide to give a personality to that main character in the final 20 minutes and then to try and make an emotional connection. I also liked Von Sydow's narration but the actual substance of what he was saying was poorly written.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Saw Aquaman Friday. I thought it was a good effort by Wan/DC. A bit cheesy here and there but I was entertained throughout and more importantly not annoyed or saddened by another muck up. 7.5/10.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Vice: 7.5/10

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch: 6.8/10 good concept poor execution

Ralph Breaks the Internet: 6.5/10 Outside of the first 15 minutes and the Disney princess bits, it's not a good movie

The Favourite: a generous 5.5/10 for the acting, set design and costums.

I am not a big fan of Lanthimos but out of Dogtooth, the lobster and the killing of a sacred deer, the favourite is clearly his worse movie by quite a big margin. This film should be nowhere near the best picture category. The oscar buzz for that movie is inexplicable. What a terrible year so far for English language movies.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I think Spielberg and Hanks deserve one another. Hanks only wants to play bland good guys and Spielberg aims to please even if it is to the detriment of his movie (I so hate the ending of AI: Artificial Intelligence, but most of his 21st century movies have an ingratiating quality that irritates the hell of me. I mean, why the final scene in Bridge of Spies, for instance). A pox on both their Porsches.

Hanks was decent/good enough (although still the boring good guy and perhaps a bit oddly cast) in Road to Perdition, but he was still out-acted by Jude Law. Sometimes it's just better (for all the juicy artistic cred on hockey forums) to get the side roles.

740full-harlen-maguire.jpg

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Vanishing [2019] :

3 men alone on an island - they run / maintain a lighthouse. One day they come across a body and a box of gold. 2 of the men are thrilled but the oldest/wisest knows their finding will bring nothing but trouble. He's right !

The Vanishing is ( loosely ) based on the Mystery Of Flannan Isle and it's an interesting, well made character study.

7.25/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Cakemaker [2018] :

All of a sudden, for the dessert, he’s like, all the sexual undertones. You know, the… I mean, he’s all like, “Ah.” “Why are you saying ‘ah’ like that?” He’s like, “Ah.” “May I tempt you with something?” “Tempt me?” “Do you like decadent things?” “Well, I don’t…” “I hope you left some room in your belly.” “OK, listen.” “Are we still talking about desserts here? What the… is going on?”

- Norm McDonald

"Thomas, a young German baker, is having an affair with Oren. Oren is a married Israeli man who frequently visits Berlin on business. When Oren dies in a car crash in Israel, Thomas travels to Jerusalem seeking answers about his death.

Without revealing the whole story of his interest, Thomas insinuates himself into the life of his lover’s widow, Anat. Thomas' unfamiliarity with Anat's reality comes to involve him in her life in a way he never anticipated."

- Wiki.

I'd heard so many wonderful things about The Cakemaker, I was worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations. Fortunately, I wasn't disappointed.

The Cakemaker strikes just the right balance of romance, character development and suspense. Plus, the food looks amazing.

Spoken languages are Hebrew, German and English.

8/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I saw a number of popcorn fare on my flights to and from San Diego, the selection wasn't great:

1. Tag

The idea of this movie is funnier than the film itself.

An oddball group of stereotypes (corporate guy, stoner, straight-laced guy, token black friend, competitive outsider) who were childhood buddies maintain their relationship through an elaborate game of tag that is played annually during the month of May.

The one guy who is never tagged essentially rips off the action sequences from the Sherlock Holmes series directed by Guy Ritchie where he freezes time and analyzes the situation before supernaturally escaping any potential entrapment.

The cast tries its best to keep things light but the premise is so flimsy that they really don't have a lot to work with. It valiantly tries to hold my attention until about 2/3 of the way through when the whole thing falls apart and tries to be maudlin, preachy and sentimental for no particular reason IMO.

Seeing as they have so little to go on, they also introduce a childhood love triangle that never seems particularly interesting nor convincing and is resolved in convenient fashion with no hard feelings.

The credits are kind of funny because they show footage of the actual people that inspired the film.

2. Deadpool 2

This was a re-watch, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

It's very difficult to follow-up an origin superhero movie but it managed to do so and be very funny doing it. Cable's straight man actually works really well alongside Ryan Reynolds. It's quite remarkable how Brolin manages to play both Cable and Thanos without them seeing identical - though Deadpool does call him Thanos on at least one occasion.

There are a lot of little details that are easy to miss which to me emphasizes the care that went into making the film. It's also pretty uproarious how much Deadpool makes fun of the X-Men series on an ongoing basis, and I appreciate the odd Canadian reference.

Yes, some jokes from the first film are repeated for fan service, but there was enough that was different for me to enjoy it. They do a good job of patiently setting up jokes for later on and the whole X Force team sequence was well-executed.

The plot and character development are tangential for this film, and there's enough fourth-wall admitting of this fact that they can get away with it.

If you don't like sarcasm or Ryan Reynolds or low-brow humour, this movie is not for you.

As it stands, I've enjoyed so few comedies released within the last little while that this one stands out.

3. Ready Player One

I also enjoyed this film better the second time around. Probably because it is a bit of a chaotic muddle at times on screen, with all of the CGI frying your corneas as you desperately try to keep track of the wealth of pop culture references. You end up missing out on some of the simple joy of the film.

It's a Spielberg movie for sure, but it's reminiscent of what he did in the 1980s, where unpopular kids would overcome impossible odds and obstacles in a manner that would probably terrify you as responsible adults if you ever stop to think about it (e.g. E.T., Gremlins, Goonies, Back to the Future).

Thus, it's committing that horrible crime of inducing nostalgia, but I maintain that there's a lack of pure childhood escapism from time to time in our modern films, sacrificed in the name of realism and dramatic impact. I think the main reason why Stranger Things was so popular is that it also appealed on this level.

The protagonists were likable enough, and Mark Rylance did such a great job as the nerd creator of the artificial world. It's actually a surprisingly challenging character to pull off IMO, because of the character's lack of social graces and Asperger spectrum qualities. Sure, the villains were almost comically one-dimensionally inept and evil, but that is consistent with the genre.

If you don't care about the 1980s or nerd culture in any way, you likely will not like this film as much, as it really does beat you over the head with the pop culture references.

A more astute film critic would rightly say that this is essentially cheating, as you're relying on other people's work to create an emotional bond with the audience (which is my beef with excessive sampling of popular riffs in modern music). But I'll hypocritically allow it in my case, because it worked.

Ultimately it's very faithful to the book in this manner, even if the references are dramatically altered (e.g. Rush limited to a single poster, no references to D&D modules in the film).

Spielberg was apparently careful to remove most of the references to his own work that took place in the book, so as to avoid seeming self-serving, which is admirable to some degree. In a way, Spielberg's dramatic successes probably interfered with some people's enjoyment and analysis of the film, because it would be measured in part against those films and not more properly against the work he did earlier in his career.

In the end, you find yourself rooting for the good-natured kid and his tough girlfriend and his band of intrepid friends, despite the fact that you know how the movie is going to end. Sure, there's some loose social commentary on net neutrality and the capitalization of the internet, but I'd suggest that you ignore that ham-fisted messaging and just enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Buffalo '66 (1998) - An all-time favorite.

Gallo has some unique talents, that's for sure.

I saw Ms. 45 for the first time, really not as good as hoped it would be (quite a big Abel Ferrara fan). 4/10

Bird Box, pretty dumb film. 3/10

Doomed, weak documentary about the making and trashing of Corman's The Fantastic Four. Only interesting thing about it is that the whole cast who got put aside the first time is again completely ignored by every person of importance in the story, it's again only them talking with themselves, the filmmakers got no answers, no confession, no nothing from the production or people who interfered in trashing the film. 2/10

The Land of Steady Habits, ok film, pretty good actors. 6/10

Roma, I know I was supposed to love it, but it didn't work at all for me. 3/10

Annihilation, tried so hard to feel deep and relevant that it doesn't do much in the end. Still a fun ride. 6/10

Laissez bronzer les cadavres, one of the best films I've seen all year, still not that great (haven't seen much of anything). Certainly not as good as their previous two films. 7/10

Ready Player One, meh. 3/10

Ok, that's enough. Been sick as a dog, watched a lot more films than I usually do...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Support the Girls. A delightful slice-of-life comedy about the manager of a Hooters-like restaurant and the family-like staff that inhabits the place. Regina Hall is excellent as the put-upon manager with a kind heart but going through a day from hell between her crumbling marriage (a point handled with incredibly deft, soft hands) and assorted troubles at work ranging from a low-key attempted robbery, rude customers and assorted employee issues. Small in scope, but broad in meaning and appeal. It’s the type of movie where you want to hug the characters or share a drink with them. You hope they get the break some of them so desperately need. Hall got some actress awards from critics. She deserves much broader acclaim. And this is writer-director Andrew Bujalski’s third straight good-to-great humanist comedy after Computer Chess and Results.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Mission: Impossible - Fallout. A reliably entertaining entry in a reliably entertaining franchise. Action is solid. The bathroom fight early in the movie lived up to the reviews. Henry Cavil is a good heavy (with a great ‘stache) and Vanessa Kirby channels Vanessa Redgrave (from the first film) so well I wanted more. Speaking of more — sheesh this movie is loooooonnnnng. It isn’t like I want them to cut scenes per se, but it felt like every action sequence just kept going and going. There’s a 15 minute timer in play at the end of the movie and swear it takes the film 25 minutes to deal with it. Movie length shouldn’t shock me in these days of blockbuster bloat, but holy moly this one (despite its overall quality) really tried my patience at times.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I agree it is far fetched, and yes "dumb", but I think you are being too hard on it. 3 is too low. It was fun - in a mindless way.

I tend to rate everything low so I can differentiate between a very good film (8), and a masterpiece (10 - but haven't seen one of those in some time). To me, most commercial and banal films are 3s. 4s are somewhat interesting, and 6s are good films that are worth watching.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Batman Ninja

animated and voiced by deranged Japanese people

Gotham City. Crime is afoot. Gorilla Grodd has invited all the supervillains to Arkham Castle for the demonstration of the Quake Engine (the Unreal Tournament Engine being in the shop this week), which is apparently a time machine. Naturally, Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Red Hood (?), Catwoman, Alfred, the Batmobile and the kitchen sink all get sucked into the time vortex along with very single Batman criminal ever, and they all wind up in feudal Japan. Because of course they do. The bad guys all make landfall first and establish themselves as warlords with costumed armies and theme weapons, Alfred manages to build a garage for the Batmobile and learn various high-protein fish recipes, Robin gets an anime haircut and monkey sidekick...and eventually Batman appears on the scene, ready to kick ass and take names. Full anime action commences and rarely lets up.
  • Ridiculous expository anime dialogue? Check.
  • Massive, over the top setpieces? Check.
  • Everyone's a super-ninja? Check.
  • Cutesy monkey guys? Check.
  • Cutesy monkey guys who don suits of armour, become a giant Gundam-monkey and then combine with a swarm of bats to punch the Joker's giant steampunk Gundam castle right in the f***ing face?! Oh, you better believe that's a check.
Easily the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time. Can't say it's ever dull, though. Every Bat-trope gets thrown in a blender with every anime trope and the results randomly splatter out on the screen while you watch in disbelief. Logic and reason sign out early, but then so does boredom. Must be seen to be believed.

On Netflix now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad