Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Witness for the Prosecution-1957

Agatha Christie courtroom drama. Great cast led by Charles Laughton, his real life wife Elsa Lanchester, Marlene Dietrich, Tyrone Power...

Great performance by Laughton as the crusty defence lawyer. Lots of plot twists, great film.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Murder in the Front Row

with lots of people with long hair and ripped t-shirts.

Documentary of the creation and rise of thrash metal in San Francisco in the very early 80's. Many interviews with members of Exodus, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Death Angel, Testament, and other such luminaries. Also their buddies who ran their fan clubs, zines and record stores and clearly don't have much else to talk about these days. In the sanitized live music conditions that have evolved since (not even getting into whatever's going to happen after all this covid nightmare dies down), it's still just a little shocking to hear about how the original metal mosh pits included a lot more actual blood. Like, lots. And you did NOT want to be the guy who showed up to an Exodus concert in 1982 wearing any LA glam stuff. You'd be lucky if you were *only* stripped naked, smashed with beer bottles and had your head kicked in. That was courtesy of the Smash Crew, hardcore Exodus fans who took it upon themselves to beat the living shit out of anyone who didn't meet their More Metal Than Thou standards. You didn't want those guys at your housewarming party, believe me. Didn't say the metal scene didn't have its downside.

For the uninitiated, thrash metal revolves around the Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth (formed by Dave Mustaine, who got kicked out of Metallica before they made it big), Slayer, and Anthrax. While it was nice to see all the guys again, even for an old school, card-carrying headbanger like myself, this wasn't all that great. Not enough music, far too much blather by people I don't care about. It was interesting to learn that Exodus remained the kings of the San Fran scene despite their lack of wider success, although Kirk Hammett hit it a little bigger after he left Exodus and joined Metallica as their lead guitarist once Mustaine was kicked to the curb.

Guys who made this movie really have anything to say other than: "Hey look! I was buddies with the guys in all these thrash bands before they made it big!" Not much in the way of insight; just a nostalgia trip. If you don't like thrash metal, don't worry. They don't play much on the soundtrack. Not a single song all the way through by any band. Ever.

On Prime.

murderfrontrow.jpg

Early shot of seminal bands in metal history...or group selfie from my grade 11 house party? You be the judge.

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I thought last year's Les Miserables (Not based on the book), was a good movie. It's a bit rough round the edges, but has something at heart. But with the current events in the US, seeing videos of new incidents daily. The movie's take on police violence seems as relevant as ever. Depending on how close you are to things, it might not be the thing to watch right now, but generally I highly recommend it.

Reactions: kihei

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Witness for the Prosecution-1957

Agatha Christie courtroom drama. Great cast led by Charles Laughton, his real life wife Elsa Lanchester, Marlene Dietrich, Tyrone Power...

Great performance by Laughton as the crusty defence lawyer. Lots of plot twists, great film.

Oh this is so good. The first half hour or so is quite slow but it ends up being a very good courtroom drama. I don't think she ever wrote it as a book, just a play. I also want to watch The Mousetrap at some point, I don't think it's ever been made into a movie so I'll have to catch it in an actual old fashion play.

Reactions: Chili

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Oh this is so good. The first half hour or so is quite slow but it ends up being a very good courtroom drama. I don't think she ever wrote it as a book, just a play. I also want to watch The Mousetrap at some point, I don't think it's ever been made into a movie so I'll have to catch it in an actual old fashion play.

Courtroom dramas is an interesting cultural thing. As a non-anglo Euro here where I come from we don't have that tradition at all with courtroom dramas. Off the top of my head I can't remember any such films from here really. Even that relatively short intro scene in Carlito's Way where Al Pacino's title character holds an outgoing monologue, and talks in a noisy and cheerful manner to the judge about how he's gonna to turn his life around, feels a bit odd to me.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Courtroom dramas is an interesting cultural thing. As a non-anglo Euro here where I come from we don't have that tradition at all with courtroom dramas. Off the top of my head I can't remember any such films from here really. Even that relatively short intro scene in Carlito's Way where Al Pacino's title character holds an outgoing monologue, and talks in a noisy and cheerful manner to the judge about how he's gonna to turn his life around, feels a bit odd to me.

They weren't too common in America, either, until 1957. That's the year that 12 Angry Men, Witness for the Prosecution and the TV show Perry Mason all came out, and there was no stopping them after that. Perry Mason, particularly, ran for 9 years and its subject and format proved such a fit for TV that there's been at least one hit courtroom drama on American TV at any time since, which has probably kept interest up in legal dramas even when there were gaps between hit movies. Americans could also be naturally drawn to courtroom dramas for several reasons, but maybe such dramas wouldn't have gotten as popular as they did if it hadn't been for those three hits all coming in the same year and providing a catalyst.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei and nameless1

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Silent House (2011) - 5/10 (Didn't like or dislike it)

A young woman (Elizabeth Olsen) is trapped and terrorized in a house that she's helping to renovate. This is a psychological horror film that is shot with the illusion of a single take. The handheld camera follows Olsen around for 80 minutes, either being on her or showing us what she sees. Fortunately, her performance is excellent as she bounces from nervous to scared to relieved and back again. Without electricity, the house is mostly dark and she has to navigate it with a lantern or flashlight. All of that contributes to a pretty decently tense atmosphere. Unfortunately, not a whole lot happens. 75% of the movie is her walking around the house, looking scared. It may be tense, but it gets to be a bit monotonous. At least it's short. The ending isn't very satisfying and is weird and disturbing, but at least it makes the movie more interesting. I can't say that I "liked" the movie, per se, but it had my attention and I appreciated Olsen's acting, the technicality of the one-take illusion and the tension. Horror fans who might similarly appreciate those might be interested, but don't expect much beyond those three things.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
They weren't too common in America, either, until 1957. That's the year that Witness to the Prosecution, 12 Angry Men and the TV show Perry Mason all came out, and there was no stopping them after that. Perry Mason, particularly, ran for 9 years and its subject and format proved such a fit for TV that there's been at least one hit courtroom drama on American TV at any time since, which has probably kept interest up in legal dramas even when there were gaps between hit movies. Americans could also be naturally drawn to courtroom dramas for several reasons, but maybe such dramas wouldn't have gotten as popular as they did if it hadn't been for those three hits all coming in the same year and providing a catalyst.

I learned something new today.
:thumbu:

Reactions: Osprey

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
They weren't too common in America, either, until 1957. That's the year that Witness to the Prosecution, 12 Angry Men and the TV show Perry Mason all came out, and there was no stopping them after that. Perry Mason, particularly, ran for 9 years and its subject and format proved such a fit for TV that there's been at least one hit courtroom drama on American TV at any time since, which has probably kept interest up in legal dramas even when there were gaps between hit movies. Americans could also be naturally drawn to courtroom dramas for several reasons, but maybe such dramas wouldn't have gotten as popular as they did if it hadn't been for those three hits all coming in the same year and providing a catalyst.

I've never seen any of those, I guess I'm too young, my dad though told me (when he watched a Kennedy documentary) that when JFK was shot my dad, then 13 years old and living in Finland, was watching an episode of Perry Mason and got really annoyed when they interrupted the TV show to announce what had happened.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The Two Popes (2019) Rating: 8.5/10

How interesting is it to watch two old men talk to each other? Turns out it's pretty damn riveting.

Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce play Popes Benedict and Francis, in what might be the oddest and grandest buddy-film I've seen. The story riffs on the (almost) unprecedented real-life event of Benedict renouncing his Papacy, and fleshes out an imagined relationship between him and the man he handpicks as his successor, Jorge Bergoglio, who will become the present-day Pope Francis.

Whatever you do, don't judge this film on a still photo, which probably shows two harmless looking men in robes. Neither of the men is harmless, and nothing about this story is still. The immense power of both actors explode onto the screen the moment they speak, move and look at each other. First of all, they're... well... two Popes, so their debate will affect 1.2 billion Catholics, which carries more real-world force than the make-believe destruction of an Avengers movie. Second, we're witnessing a theological fencing match between two opposing ideas of what religion is and where it's going -- hardline old-school Catholicism versus modern reforms -- debated by the single most powerful religious figures on the planet. And third, it's freakin Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce. These two old guys generate more intensity sitting on a park bench than you'll get in any battle scene.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Spider-Man 2: Far From Home (2019) Rewatch - 8/10

Don't usually re-watch films but this type of thing is perfect for it. I also didn't realize it came out less than an year ago, feels like at least a couple years had passed...wtf.

Anyways, the reason this is good for a re-watch is because of how packed the story is. The scenes are all short and it's constantly moving, almost schizophrenic. The villain reveal for example felt like it happened in the final third of the film but I realized it was at the half way point. Jake Gyllenhaal is the strong point, Tom Holland is a pretty good Peter Parker (who actually feels like he's a high-schooler). The supporting cast is more caricature-comedy than anything but they all do their role really well and the action sequences are good.

The cliff-hanger is unfortunate, we won't get a third film till late 2021 and maybe even that will get delayed now. What happened to Mysterio!?

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Spider-Man 2: Far From Home (2019) Rewatch - 8/10

Don't usually re-watch films but this type of thing is perfect for it. I also didn't realize it came out less than an year ago, feels like at least a couple years had passed...wtf.

Anyways, the reason this is good for a re-watch is because of how packed the story is. The scenes are all short and it's constantly moving, almost schizophrenic. The villain reveal for example felt like it happened in the final third of the film but I realized it was at the half way point. Jake Gyllenhaal is the strong point, Tom Holland is a pretty good Peter Parker (who actually feels like he's a high-schooler). The supporting cast is more caricature-comedy than anything but they all do their role really well and the action sequences are good.

The cliff-hanger is unfortunate, we won't get a third film till late 2021 and maybe even that will get delayed now. What happened to Mysterio!?

For some reason, out of all the new marvel universe movies, the Spiderman's just feel and are different. Not different in an Ant Man sort of way, but different. For starters, the whole movie just feels like one big joke. The amount of humor sprinkled in gives it a different and odd vibe, not that I'm against it, but the balancing of drama and humor feels odd to me. I am not sure if that's because the target demographic, because he's a high school superhero, because he's often thought of as a lesser strong avenger than the big guns(correct or not), because that's how he's written in the comics??? I don't know why, but he feels like the goofy "child" avenger, which he kind of is. 2ndly, the villains are more interesting (and more powerful?). New Spidey #1, Keaton stole a lot of the movie, not Holland's fault, Keaton is a fantastic actor with great charisma and presence and had spidey dead to rights a couple times. New spidey #2, Mysterio also had Spidey down and out also, and had a much better backstory(especially considering spidey's now already had his origin told). Both Keaton and Gyllenhaal literally could have killed spiderman with ease, but didn't. It feels more like the villains defeating themselves than Spiderman "beating" them. No spoilers, but also Keaton post credits scene could have cut ruined Spiderman's life, but instead had mercy like he did previously on Holland (ironically the ending of Spidey #2 dabbled on almost the exact same topic). Maybe it's because he's a kid facing adults? Lastly, these movies don't feel like journey's like the other marvel universe movies do, they, for lack of a better term, feel like road trips. They go to X and then Y and then Z, and there's hijinks, and adolescent feelings/growth, and hiccups for spiderman and peter parker throughout, rather than serious subject matter and turns like in most of the other mcu movies. Maybe it's because of his age/the target audience again?

I don't know exactly why, but they just are. And it's not a negative that they are different, it's refreshing in some ways. That said, it feels odd, and the ending/3rd acts are never as satisfying as the journey for me in these spiderman movies, they just feel weak and underwhelming to me.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I figured he was dead - but generated the video just in case as a last resort act of vengeance against Peter.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I learned something new today.
:thumbu:

Me, too. Neither fact really occurred to me until I did some research into it just prior to replying.

I've never seen any of those, I guess I'm too young, my dad though told me (when he watched a Kennedy documentary) that when JFK was shot my dad, then 13 years old and living in Finland, was watching an episode of Perry Mason and got really annoyed when they interrupted the TV show to announce what had happened.

12 Angry Men and Witness for the Prosecution are considered two of the best courtroom dramas ever made and I think would hold up even for those who don't watch too many old movies. Courtroom dramas, despite all of the sitting around and talking, seem to age remarkably well for some reason. I guess that it's because of the stakes, the familiarity of the format and the fact that judicial procedure doesn't change too much. I wrote in my review of The Passion of Joan of Arc a few months ago that I was surprised by how well a courtroom drama (about a 15th century trial, no less) could work even in a silent film.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika and Chili

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Haven't read the book. The screenplay was written by the director Billy Wilder (with another writer) and he's known for comedy which I believe was added to the story. The banter between Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester helped lighten the mood.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Gretel & Hansel (2020) :

When I was young, of all the stories my mother read to me, Hansel and Gretel was by far the scariest. So scary, in fact, I insisted she banish the book to the top shelf of the closet. Even after its exile, the thought of that book being in the house, and the horrors within, bothered me for years.

Gretel & Hansel puts a feminist spin on the German fairy tail. Pretty little Sophia Lillis, donning the most unflattering haircut this side of Kristen Stewart, plays Gretel. Gretel spends the movie protecting her little brother from the witch who takes them in, and fattens them up, after they are expelled from their home.

Unfortunately, Gretel and Hansel NEVER gets scary. Not once. In fact, it doesn't even approach scary. The entire movie is nothing but interesting visuals and an overbearing soundtrack - similar to an equally UN-scary horror film called Wind from 2019.

That's too bad because given how dark the source material is, and how good the performances are (Lillis as Gretel and Alice Krige as the witch), Gretel and Hansel could have been very good. Instead, the movie feels long and uncompelling - even at only 87 minutes.

3/10

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Gretel & Hansel (2020) :

When I was young, of all the stories my mother read to me, Hansel and Gretel was by far the scariest. So scary, in fact, I insisted she put the book on the top shelf of the closet. Still, the thought of that book being in the house, and the horrors within, bothered me for years.

Gretel & Hansel puts a feminist spin on the German fairy tail. Pretty little Sophia Lillis, donning the most unflattering haircut this side of Kristen Stewart, plays Gretel. Gretel spends the movie protecting herself and her little brother from the witch who takes them in, and fattens them up, after they are expelled from their home.

Unfortunately, Gretel and Hansel NEVER gets scary. Not once. In fact, it doesn't even approach scary. The entire movie is nothing but interesting visuals and an overbearing soundtrack - just like an equally UN-scary Wind from 2019.

Given how dark the source material is, and how good the performances are (Lillis as Gretel and Alice Krige as the witch), Gretel and Hansel could have been very good. Instead, the movie feels long and uncompelling - even at only 87 minutes.

4/10

My thoughts were very similar. If you missed my review from a few months ago and are interested...
Movies: - Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +3

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I've still been meaning to check out Gretel & Hansel. I know about all the criticisms of it but the production design looks incredible in it to me, enough on its own for me to be interested. One of those movies where the style just jumps out immediately even from still images or trailer footage. Director did The Blackcoat's Daughter and the cinematographer helped out with Roma so there's serious talent behind it.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
police-story-1985-_132043-fli_1365592304.jpg

Police Story
(1985) Directed by Jackie Chan 6A

Criterion Channel is starting a retrospective of early Jackie Chan films. I have seen plenty of Jackie Chan stunts over the years, but relatively few of his movies. So I watched this one because it seems to be well-thought of among his early work. The story could not be more boilerplate if it tried. It involves Chan as a cop, a drug lord, a vulnerable witness who disappears, and all sorts of predictable shenanigans before justice is served. The script is bad. How bad? The only thing that came to mind to compare it with while I was watching it was old Elvis Presley movies, though that may be overstating the case a tad. However, the stunts are great fun and sometimes scary dangerous. It is rumoured that Chan almost killed himself falling through one glass canopy in this film. I wouldn't doubt that. Some of his work is both clever and insane simultaneously. Chan possesses both great athletic skills and also superb comic timing, like some strange hybrid of Bruce Lee and Buster Keaton. Then, as per usual, after the movie ends, the audience gets to laugh at a bunch of fun outtakes. I'd certainly watch more early Jackie Chan movies, but I might fast forward through the perfunctory bits.

subtitles

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
The Black Swan-1942

One of the first pirate movies in colour. Based on some historical facts (Captain Morgan) and a Rafael Sabatini novel. Could use Basil Rathbone as the foil but still good (he reportedly taught fencing to Tyrone Power as well as Errol Flynn).

My favorite swashbuckler's: Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk & Scaramouche

Edit: Impressed with Laird Cregar (as Captain Morgan). Sadly he died young (31), still early in his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey and kihei

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've still been meaning to check out Gretel & Hansel. I know about all the criticisms of it but the production design looks incredible in it to me, enough on its own for me to be interested. One of those movies where the style just jumps out immediately even from still images or trailer footage. Director did The Blackcoat's Daughter and the cinematographer helped out with Roma so there's serious talent behind it.
I'm not sure how Oz Perkins gets work - there are better directors out there. G&H had a budget of only $5M, so maybe he works cheap?

As for the movie...

I cannot believe how "blah" it was. In 2020, there are so many tools for directors to create horror but my heart NEVER raced once. Not once!

There is one scene early (forgive the spoiler - it is in the trailer) where Gretel is talking to her mother, the mother exits, and then comes back with an ax(e), slamming it into the table. Even THAT, with all the shock and volume that came with it, did NOT make me jump.

Not since Wind (in 2019) have I seen a horror movie with so little energy or punch.

P.S. The kid who played Hansel cannot act. That did not help.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
erremen-1.jpg

Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
(2018) Directed by Paul Urkijo Olijo 6A

I don't know if this little number is going to be much of an improvement over Gretel and Hansel, but once I got into it, I enjoyed it. Like Gretel and Hansel (it seems), Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil has some fine cinematography and a nice sense of time and place. From what I can gather, the story is based on Basque folk tale about a blacksmith, himself suspected of being in league with dark forces, who manages to capture and honest-to-goodness devil--one that looks exactly the way devil's are supposed to look. A young orphan girl discovers the blacksmith's secret but goes missing. The townspeople get all in a dither and try rescuing her, adding to more confusion and violence. All of this is rather too amiable to count as horror, but the movie takes an interesting turn that I wasn't expecting, so I got hooked. I really like the devil. He is like a minor leaguer, no Satan or Beezlebub or Lucifer or anything close to it. Among other things, he is victimized by a can of fallen chick peas which he is always impelled to count but people keep kicking them around and mixing him up again. He is still trying to earn his stripes, making him rather harmless, but the villagers don't know that. And that orphan girl--strange forces come to her rescue. This is a very slight film but I enjoyed its very different approach to a story about a devil.

subtitles

On Netflix--avoid the dubbed version

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
police-story-1985-_132043-fli_1365592304.jpg

Police Story
(1985) Directed by Jackie Chan 6A

Criterion Channel is starting a retrospective of early Jackie Chan films. I have seen plenty of Jackie Chan stunts over the years, but relatively few of his movies. So I watched this one because it seems to be well-thought of among his early work. The story could not be more boilerplate if it tried. It involves Chan as a cop, a drug lord, a vulnerable witness who disappears, and all sorts of predictable shenanigans before justice is served. The script is bad. How bad? The only thing that came to mind to compare it with while I was watching it was old Elvis Presley movies, though that may be overstating the case a tad. However, the stunts are great fun and sometimes scary dangerous. It is rumoured that Chan almost killed himself falling through one glass canopy in this film. I wouldn't doubt that. Some of his work is both clever and insane simultaneously. Chan possesses both great athletic skills and also superb comic timing, like some strange hybrid of Bruce Lee and Buster Keaton. Then, as per usual, after the movie ends, the audience gets to laugh at a bunch of fun outtakes. I'd certainly watch more early Jackie Chan movies, but I might fast forward through the perfunctory bits.

subtitles

Loved Jackie Chan has a child but haven't revisited since...yet every time I see a video of his I can't help but think how well his schtick holds up.

Reactions: kihei

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Iron-Man (2008) re-watch for the first time - 7.5/10

-I know we all talk about how far Marvel has come but this film holds up surprisingly well against some of the best. It doesn't have the same feeling of 'epic-ness' that you get later on and not the same level of action scenes but it has that formula down. Also, aesthetically, it doesn't have some of the cooler things that the other films later had but it looks very similar to most Marvel films released for a decade afterwards minus some of the CGI explosions at the end. It just felt very familiar in tone and style.

-Tony's chemistry with Pepper Potts is pretty damn good in this film (Gweneth Paltrow is actually quite likable)

-I like Terrence Howards as Rhodes but I also like Don Cheadle as Rhodes and I can't pick between the two.

-Surprisingly dark for what I remembered as being a fun superhero film. There's a ptsd-inducing scene right at the start and quite a bit of sexual innuedo right after and villagers being massacred and that scene where Stark has his heart removed and has to crawl and a bunch of other horror-ish sequences which probably took some parents by surprise, then I noticed that it was PG-13 and not PG.

-Jeff Bridges makes for a mean villain. I do think they gave him up as the villain a bit too early in this film, could've been more subtle and held out for the reveal for a bit longer. Also his monologuing at the end once he gets into the mega iron villain suit sounds laughably cliche.

-One aspect of the movie that feels outdated in 2020 is that whole Afghan terrorist theme.

-I don't remember Happy (Jon Favreau) being that slim.

-Tony Stark has a heart.....ohhhh yeah I totally forgot that, probably should've re-watched this before Endgame.

-Forgot about Agent Coulson, he's cool, I should probably watch Shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->