Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +2

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
What We Do in the Shadows - 8.5/10

Taika's style is something I figured would work for me, and it definitely did. I was unsure about this when I watched the trailer yesterday, but it did indeed work for me.

I'll probably give the TV series a shot now and see what I think.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I never in my life would have associated The Hunger with the word "boring." Its as much a character study as a horror movie, one with a ton of atmosphere. Doubters should just bite their tongues (or each other's necks) and be fangful that they have other options. The same crowd probably didn't like Only Lovers Left Alive, either.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Fractured (Netflix) - 7.5/10

Enjoyed this. Nothing ground-breaking. Have an idea of where the “twist” is going, but some of the details came as a little of a surprise. Nothing I’m going to go around recommending to everyone, but it was nice as a little late night Netflix watch. Glad I decided to give it a shot.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
parasite.jpg

Parasite
(2019) Directed by Bong Joon-ho 9A

Parasite
is a tale of two families, a rich one, the Parks, and a poor win, the Kims. The Kims, near destitute but very clever, find creative ways to integrate themselves into the Park family, Though that may not sound like much of an attention grabber, I'm going to leave it at that because the less you know about this movie going into it the better. I will say that the narrative is brilliant, subversive and clear-eyed, no easy villains or heroes here. The movie progresses in ways that are often hilarious but virtually unpredictable, which is why you shouldn't read too much about this film or it will spoil the delight of discovery. One way to see Parasite is as an extended metaphor for how class (and economic stability or the lack thereof) shapes destiny. The title itself is a cunning choice because it is not clear here, intentionally so, who are the parasites and who aren't. The way the system works, pretty much everybody ends up getting screwed anyway, albeit some more comfortably than others. This may sound heavy handed, but the thematic development is so rich and often so surprising that it would be remiss not to mention it. To make absolutely clear, director Boon Joon-ho's touch is as light and assured as any director who is working right now and he is a master at setting slightly unsettling tones. His past history as a director finds him revitalizing tired genres with such fine works as Mother, Memories of Murder, The Host, Snowpiercer and so on, genre movies all but invested with heart and meaning. Parasite is more difficult to pigeon-hole--funny enough to be called a comedy; tense enough to be a suspense movie; and incisive enough to be considered a social commentary. Whatever it is, Parasite is a pleasure to watch unfold and much fun to contemplate later.

subtitles

Best of '19 so far

1) Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Sciamma, France
2) Parasite, Bong, South Korea
3) An Elephant Sitting Still, Hu, China
4) Hope, Sodahl, Norway
5) It Must Be Heaven, Suleiman, Palestine
6) Vitalina Varela, Costa, Portugal
7) Ema, Larrain, Chile
8) The Two Popes, Mirelles, Brazil/UK
9) Les Miserables, Ly, France
10) Saint Maud, Glass, UK

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Parasite is more difficult to pigeon-hole--funny enough to be called a comedy; tense enough to be a suspense movie; and incisive enough to be considered a social commentary. Whatever it is, Parasite is a pleasure to watch unfold and much fun to contemplate later.
Perfect, exactly what I was hoping for.

Watched a couple horror movies, although you can't really call the 2nd one a horror.

I watched Under the Shadow. Overall I thought it was good, although nothing really groundbreaking or something I haven't seen before. It was almost like a poor man's The Babadook, heavily metaphorical although covering different themes entirely, even though it has a similar parent/child dynamic in ways. I think there were a few really well executed scares here, along with some really nice horror imagery even if it wasn't anything too graphic. Definitely not the scariest movie, but still, well executed and loaded with social commentary, packaged inside a more generic horror movie. I will say though that I was absolutely shocked when it ended. It was less than an hour and a half and felt much shorter.

I watched WNUF Halloween Special. If you don't know what it is, it's a movie that is supposed to be a VHS rip of a 1987 local town Halloween newscast (followed by a special of a reporter going into a local house that is thought to be haunted). Unlike Under the Shadow, this is a movie that is under an hour and a half that felt a lot longer. I have very mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I absolutely loved the idea and did think it was executed very well in certain aspects, but there's a tonal shift here that just straight up didn't work and I think it became a chore to watch after a while.

The attention to detail here really is staggering: the dedication to authenticity of constantly going to commercial breaks with commercials they created for the movie specifically (this thing is absolutely LOADED with them, it's not just a thing they do every once in a while just to say they did it type of thing), the VHS tape fast forwarding at certain points, and just the characters they created that felt very authentic. The world building was such a good and natural aspect that as the movie went on and they went to commercial breaks, I'd catch myself looking to occupy myself with something else while I waited for the show to start back up, even though the commercials are a huge source of the well-executed comic relief.

And I think that's the main issue here. As it went on, it just started to get monotonous and dragged. The humour in particular was on point throughout, but as they start blending more serious tones it undercuts any horror aspects they were going for and when they said they'd be going to "commercial break" you'd actually become frustrated.

Still, I would definitely recommend this for the originality, even though it became a slog for the last third or so. It's definitely not like anything else I've seen before.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
parasite.jpg

Parasite

Parasite
is a tale of two families, a rich one, the Parks, and a poor win, the Kims. The Kims, near destitute but very clever, find creative ways to integrate themselves into the Park family, Though that may not sound like much of an attention grabber, I'm going to leave it at that because the less you know about this movie going into it the better. I will say that the narrative is brilliant, subversive and clear-eyed, no easy villains or heroes here. The movie progresses in ways that are often hilarious but virtually unpredictable, which is why you shouldn't read too much about this film or it will spoil the delight of discovery. One way to see Parasite is as an extended metaphor for how class (and economic stability or the lack thereof) shapes destiny. The title itself is a cunning choice because it is not clear here, intentionally so, who are the parasites and who aren't. The way the system works, pretty much everybody ends up getting screwed anyway, albeit some more comfortably than others. This may sound heavy handed, but the thematic development is so rich and often so surprising that it would be remiss not to mention it. To make absolutely clear, director Boon Joon-ho's touch is as light and assured as any director who is working right now and he is a master at setting slightly unsettling tones. His past history as a director finds him revitalizing tired genres with such fine works as Mother, Memories of Murder, The Host, Snowpiercer and so on, genre movies all but invested with heart and meaning. Parasite is more difficult to pigeon-hole--funny enough to be called a comedy; tense enough to be a suspense movie; and incisive enough to be considered a social commentary. Whatever it is, Parasite is a pleasure to watch unfold and much fun to contemplate later.

subtitles

Best of '19 so far

4) Hope, Sodahl, Norway
7) Ema, Larrain, Chile
Wow! A 9A. We don't see that very often. :thumbu:

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We're all "movie nuts" here so I have a question...

Does anyone else ever go thru stretches where they just can't motivate themselves to see a movie?

The reason I ask : I am going thru a stretch like that myself. Watching a movie actually feels like a chore. Any suggestions on how to get out of this rut?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Does anyone else ever go thru stretches where they just can't motivate themselves to see a movie?

The reason I ask : I am going thru a stretch like that myself. Watching a movie actually feels like a chore.
Yes, it happens. My dry stretches are usually during the first six or seven months of the year when not much is going on. I get that way with literature, the Leafs and certain bands, too. Tennis, strangely enough, seems totally exempt from these letdowns, though. Try enjoying the break, actually--not necessarily a bad thing at all.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes, it happens. My dry stretches are usually during the first six or seven months of the year when not much is going on. I get that way with literature, the Leafs and certain bands, too. Tennis, strangely enough, seems totally exempt from these letdowns, though. Try enjoying the break, actually--not necessarily a bad thing at all.
Thanks!

Perhaps, by taking a vacation, I will appreciate the movies more when I do watch. No use forcing a good movie down my throat when I am not in the mood to watch it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

The reason I ask : I am going thru a stretch like that myself. Watching a movie actually feels like a chore. Any suggestions on how to get out of this rut?

It's funny you say this. I usually have to watch movies later at night because of work, making supper, and doing stuff with the wife. And during the day I'm usually all excited to watch a movie, but then the night hits and I'm like... damn, I'm tired. Not sure I want to do this. My key to getting over this is to simply start the movie. Because if it's good enough, I'll get over it.. and then I also know the movie is at least a decent one.

I know you're problem is a little different, but yeah.. usually the biggest obstacle is to just start the movie. Just get it going and see if you get into the movie. Otherwise, may just take some time away from them. I do that a lot with video games.

Do you drink? For whatever reasons, a few drinks sometimes help me get motivation to watch a movie haha.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

Yeah, it is usually the summer blockbuster months for me. Other than the big Marvel movies, the rest are all the same, and I struggle to even bring myself to the cinema as a result.

September usually snaps me out of the funk, but that is mainly because of the film festival. I have been rather disappointed with the award contenders the last little while, even though I do enjoy them more than the usual blockbusters.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
parasite.jpg

Parasite

Parasite

subtitles

Best of '19 so far

4) Hope, Sodahl, Norway
7) Ema, Larrain, Chile

Yes, I completely agree with this review, and I honestly think this is likely the best film I have seen all year.

A friend of mine has a completely different opinion though. For her, the way the Kims are able to integrate into the Park family is very unrealistic, due to the lack of a background check, and she can just never get over the perceived plot hole. It just completely ruined the movie for her, and she cannot get into the plot as a result.

Honestly, I can see her point of view. However, everything else is so well-done, that I can easily ignore that little hitch, because it feels minor in the grand scheme of things.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

I've never really regarded those times as a rut to be gotten out of. Usually they come along because I'm busy at work or with family stuff or if it's one of the few times when shows I watch are on a lot (not that there are many of those these days) or if I've got a new video game and I'm in the game zone...or if there just isn't a lot of movies out there that I really want to see. That one also crops up quite a bit as I have generally very little enthusiasm for 99% of what Hollywood puts out this last...couple of decades. That's just life. Sometimes there's plenty of time and energy for movie-watching, sometimes there isn't.

I guess the best way out of it (if you look at it as something to consciously put a stop to) is to look up some movies you want to see, and schedule some time to watch them.

And there have been times when I've watched a movie just so I have an excuse to post a review of it in this thread. ;)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Kind of didn't bother watching any movies for a really long time (except for some of the really easy but underwhelming ones). Just got lazy and none of the ones I would expect to be good superficially hooked me enough to want to put in the effort-- Spent most of that time on other mediums instead.

Sorry to Bother You - 1.0 (Negative)
Had high hopes for this, liked the sound of it, and I was initially having a lot of fun with the first half of it-- liked the humor and style of it, liked some of the bit characters (like the managers in the office), but at one point in the movie (the big one), a light-bulb just goes off in your head and you're just like "Oh wait, they actually have no strong sense of where they're going with this or how they want to say what they want to say, and everything it seemed like it was building towards wasn't really going to amount to anything worthwhile." Then it just kind of flies off the rails until the end of the movie and fizzles out on kind of a stupid note. Despite its flaws though, I would still probably say that I would rather movies take this type of wild swing for the fences than do what they usually do-- It's somewhat entertaining, anyways. Have no opinion whatsoever on the political message that some people seem to be getting hung up over. Just ended up feeling pretty mixed and lukewarm about the experience.

I felt like a lot of the highlights of the movies just gave an initial amusing shock/chuckle and then the charm is lost pretty quickly.

The only movies I saw that can be listed under 2018
1. Loveless - 4.5 (Brilliant)
2. Night is Short, Walk on Girl - 2.5 (Good)
3. Isle of Dogs - 2.0 (Positive)
4. Into the Spiderverse - 2.0 (Positive)
5. Game Night - 1.5 (Neutral)
---
6. Sorry to Bother You - 1.0 (Negative)
7. The Incredibles 2 - 1.0 (Negative)
8. Crazy Rich Asians - 0.5 (Bad)
9. Avengers: Infinity War - 0.5 (Bad)

Probably going to finally watch Shoplifters next. Or try to, anyways.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Oh, and please see The Lair of the White Worm if you haven't. I don't know if it's a vampire movie, I don't know if it's a good movie, damn I'm not even sure it's exactly a movie, but I know you have to see it. :)

What is it that you just had me watch? That's one of the stranger movies that I've seen. I didn't know that erotic horror comedy was a genre... or that you could sustain a movie with sexual innuendo (which I should've seen coming just from the title). It's not a good movie, but if you're into strange-bordering-on-gonzo movies, that's definitely one to watch ;).

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Kind of didn't bother watching any movies for a really long time (except for some of the really easy but underwhelming ones). Just got lazy and none of the ones I would expect to be good superficially hooked me enough to want to put in the effort-- Spent most of that time on other mediums instead.

Sorry to Bother You - 1.0 (Negative)
Had high hopes for this, liked the sound of it, and I was initially having a lot of fun with the first half of it-- liked the humor and style of it, liked some of the bit characters (like the managers in the office), but at one point in the movie (the big one), a light-bulb just goes off in your head and you're just like "Oh wait, they actually have no strong sense of where they're going with this or how they want to say what they want to say, and everything it seemed like it was building towards wasn't really going to amount to anything worthwhile." Then it just kind of flies off the rails until the end of the movie and fizzles out on kind of a stupid note. Despite its flaws though, I would still probably say that I would rather movies take this type of wild swing for the fences than do what they usually do-- It's somewhat entertaining, anyways. Have no opinion whatsoever on the political message that some people seem to be getting hung up over. Just ended up feeling pretty mixed and lukewarm about the experience.

I felt like a lot of the highlights of the movies just gave an initial amusing shock/chuckle and then the charm is lost pretty quickly.

The only movies I saw that can be listed under 2018
1. Loveless - 4.5 (Brilliant)
2. Night is Short, Walk on Girl - 2.5 (Good)
3. Isle of Dogs - 2.0 (Positive)
4. Into the Spiderverse - 2.0 (Positive)
5. Game Night - 1.5 (Neutral)
---
6. Sorry to Bother You - 1.0 (Negative)
7. The Incredibles 2 - 1.0 (Negative)
8. Crazy Rich Asians - 0.5 (Bad)
9. Avengers: Infinity War - 0.5 (Bad)

Probably going to finally watch Shoplifters next. Or try to, anyways.

Welcome back. I encourage you to watch Shoplifters and look forward to your thoughts.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
What is it that you just had me watch? That's one of the stranger movies that I've seen. I didn't know that erotic horror comedy was a genre... or that you could sustain a movie with sexual innuendo (which I should've seen coming just from the title). It's not a good movie, but if you're into strange-bordering-on-gonzo movies, that's definitely one to watch ;).

It's a one-of-a-kind for sure. And just for that, I'm not so sure it's not a "good movie", in some ways at least. You'll see, it will weirdly stay with you and when you remember it in 20 years, it will be as something mostly positive. I know, it's a long wait for a minimal payoff!

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Shoplifters is great. Super heartfelt and warm movie and done in a way that isn't over the top or showy. Does such a good job at making you care about the characters and their relationship dynamics. Top 5 movie for me for 2018.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Dir. Matthew Vaughn

I love the concept of Kingsman. I love the Statesman. Much like the first film, I found this one to be bloated; unlike its predecessor, this production somehow felt incomplete.

3/10

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto

Always me during the summer. This year it’s dragged on a bit into the fall, but the last few days I’ve been more in the mood.

In the winter, I could easily watch 3 movies a day if I had the time. It’s odd.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Saw Joker. Overall I thought it was really solid. It took a while to warm up to because a lot of the stuff felt ham-fisted. Like the whole opening sequence sucked because it just felt so on-the-nose, the kids literally hit him over the head with cruelty and it just kind of makes you roll your eyes. One of the things that I always hated about Batman movies is that despite them having a darker and grittier tone, the villains or thugs (or in this case just people that Arthur encounters) just have such a comically over-the-top portrayal. It's just like everyone is despicable and the worst person of all time, and it takes you out of it when other things come across more grounded. I think that aspect comes back into play when
the Joker's actions start inciting riots. It just feels like a big jump.

Those are really the only complaints though. What everyone is saying about Phoenix's performance is completely accurate in my opinion. This really is a powerhouse acting performance, just absolutely mesmerizing and despite the script being shallow in certain aspects he always finds a way to elevate. The physicality of it, the nuance of how he changes, everything is just so perfectly handled. People trying to say Ledger was better is just hilarious IMO. It's not even remotely comparable.

I also think Phillips surprised me a bit here. Don't think it was anything amazing on his part but definitely solid most of the way through. There was some absolutely excellent humor in here and they used JUST the right amount of violence to the point where it was extremely effective when they did. The scene where
he kills his old co-worker in his apartment and makes a joke out of scaring the little person was just amazing. I laughed so unbelievably hard at that whole sequence even though it worked on a more disturbing level as well.
Also the scene where
He's at the comedy club and just straight up does not understand what people find funny even though he's trying so hard to was really impactful.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

What a coincidence, my last post was kind of just about this.

I always get stuck in this nowhere zone where the movies that I can easily get myself to watch without much trouble are the ones that I know I'll end up being underwhelmed by or disliking and the movies that I know I'll end up loving are the ones that feel like a chore and that I'll endlessly procrastinating with.

I almost feel like there's an inverse correlation between how accessible something is and how worthwhile it is. Not entirely of course, but in a weird way, kind of. Obviously the most worthwhile things have to be at least minimally accessible, otherwise they'd never be acknowledged, and the most accessible things have to be at least minimally worthwhile, otherwise they'd never grab you. But once you move past that baseline floor, that correlation tends to move in the opposite direction, I find. The most worthwhile things are also usually not going to be PARTICULARLY accessible and the most accessible things are also usually not going to be PARTICULARLY worthwhile.

Which makes things like discovery and recommendation very tricky.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad