Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +2

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
What are some good vampire movies? I feel like it's a horror subgenre I rarely appreciate. Off the top of my head I only recall liking 30 Days of Night.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
What are some good vampire movies? I feel like it's a horror subgenre I rarely appreciate. Off the top of my head I only recall liking 30 Days of Night.

I know this isn't what you're looking for but it's somewhat related to the vampire topic haha... but I plan to watch What We Do in the Shadows tonight.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
topsensation4big.jpg

Top Sensation - A very distant cousin of the giallo, and not an arthouse flick by any means, this was kind of a pleasant surprise in a sleepless night. It turns to video/audio and painting in ways that I couldn't not enjoy (audio as evidence, video as fallible!), and it has a knack for beauty (a young Edwige Fenech and a prime Rosalba Neri would have been enough, but it also has some amazing shots, like the screenshot above where the son sees the girl he murdered getting lowered into another boat while standing beside the painting he made of their future together that he just ripped). The version available on My Retro Flix (an app on my TV) has parts in English and parts in Italian, with subtitles that don't match either - adding a layer of reflexivity to a film where audio plays an intriguing role (the central knot of the narrative - the moment the looney son seduces the farm girl, and best scene of the film - is played out with him having her listen to his weird recordings of his house burning and other weird noises... and the cheating husband is confronted with audio proof of his deeds, while there is plenty of video cameras on the boat). It's the kind of films that aren't particularly good by themselves but become very interesting once you inject some specific inquiries into them. 5/10

And to paraphrase @Osprey, I recommend it if you're a die hard fan of the giallo (it's not one by any means, but you'll recognize some elements of the signature), if you're a Fenech fan, or if you're a scopophile.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Not in any order and from the top of my head:

Daughters of Darkness
Martin
Shadow of the Vampire
Let the Right One In
Interview With the Vampire
Nosferatu (both versions)

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Oh, and please see The Lair of the White Worm if you haven't. I don't know if it's a vampire movie, I don't know if it's a good movie, damn I'm not even sure it's exactly a movie, but I know you have to see it. :)

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Parasite - 9.5/10

May very well be my favorite film of the year. Weird and exaggerated, yet still find a way to be ground. The theme is almost thrown in your face, but finds way to still be subtle at the same time. Only complaint would be a somewhat anti-climactic ending scene, but it still did a good job wrapping up. My favorite part of the movie was deciphering who to "root" for, in a sense. Not that you need to root for someone in every film, but this movie is clearly trying to raise the question of whose side is "right," though it leaves certain aspects up for interpretation.
Best movie I saw in a long, long time.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I want to do that with those two movies but I feel like I'll just cave and watch both in the same day.

And yeah, it doesn't necessarily have to be humor, just a jumble of different kind of tones in the same movie. I think even something like Train to Busan, which is a more straightforward and in a way generic movie, just finds a way to bring different emotions out of the audience in a way I haven't seen with a zombie movie from the States. That's not to say all Korean movies are like this, but it's definitely a trend I'm noticing from the ones I've seen.

The Host is crazy for this though. It's a monster movie but they'll throw in absurdist humor out of seemingly nowhere. Like it's not like something like Shaun of the Dead or The Cabin in the Woods where they're channeling the humor through satire, or even like Get Out where there seems to be a split in the horror and comedy (ie. horror scene, followed by comedy scene or obvious joke set-up, then back to another horror scene, etc.). I don't really know how to describe it but it just seems to flow so naturally.
There television is like that as well. They just mix genres all the time and it doesn't feel strange. Another thing I noticed about Korean shows is how often they would leave a crucial scene that pushes you in one direction and later show in flashbacks that it did not resolve as expected at all. It makes for some very nice twists.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If I'd known that it would spark a somewhat long discussion of vampire movies, I might've posted my Near Dark review in the horror movie thread. Oh well!

Or if you're a fan of vampires, of horror films, or of movies in general. Quite a nice little flick.
(I think I'd agree with the 6/10 here)

Well, yeah. I suppose that I was more listing reasons there why someone who isn't into vampires or horror might still care to watch it. I, personally, am not a big fan of the vampire subgenre and need some other reasons to check out such a film, so I was speaking more to others like me.

Oh, and please see The Lair of the White Worm if you haven't. I don't know if it's a vampire movie, I don't know if it's a good movie, damn I'm not even sure it's exactly a movie, but I know you have to see it. :)

I need to see this!

Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
9830963,lLUHH41rIxo+IEGXxnVRYH95RmgPM55M2WcAhnrggZWtE4GOLFfmadCNBwc2kvHPbjI5kmENPeKPzwsGs5i+Rw==.jpg

Gemini Man
(2019) Directed by Ang Lee 4A

I went to check out the high frame rate projection 3D that has been heralded as some sort of breakthrough. This new technique definitely is an improvement over standart 3D, but nothing earth-shaking. The picture was lighter and brighter and I could make out details even in dark scenes. More kinds of tracking shots and hand-held camera shots are now possible giving the action a more realistic look than before. As for the actual movie, the plot, which pits an older Will Smith against his 23-year-old clone. starts out as vaguely Bourne-esque in terms of all the double crossiing, which was fine with me, but then the dialogue starts grating on the ear pretty damn quickly. I might not have noticed, but the plot is a sluggish head-scratcher giving one plenty of time to recognize idiocies. Like why is the bad guy even after our hero Henry in the first place as he is finally happily retired and not about to go nosing around in company business? Clive Owen has fun as the heavy, and Will Smith does his best as the somewhat world-weary hero but really there is only so much that can be done with the frustrating script, Between the unoriginal dialogue and cumbersome plot turns that make little sense, the new 3D approach seems kind of irrelevant. The de-aging technology is impressive, but raises some pretty big ethical questions about where this will all go eventually. I have no idea why Ang Lee wanted to get involved in this, other than to play with the new technology. Not the worst action movie in history by any means, but probably not worth the extra bucks for the technology display.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizonan God

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The Forest of Love (2019)
Dir. by Sion Sono

Not my favorite delving into Sono's world, but his offbeat style is on full display.

Warning: Don't bother if you're squeamish.

6/10

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Not in any order and from the top of my head:

Daughters of Darkness
Martin
Shadow of the Vampire
Let the Right One In
Interview With the Vampire
Nosferatu (both versions)

Great suggestions. I'd vouch for What We Do in the Shadows, Near Dark and Only Lovers Left Alive, all mentioned elsewhere, too.

Four more:

Fright Night. Just great fun. That's not just nostalgia talking. I think it holds up great.

From Dusk til Dawn. Part Tarantino, part gore-fest. Another one that's ultimately just a lot of fun.

The Hunger. Not everyone's jam. It's slow and very very 80s. But it's got a lot of style. One of Tony Scott's first movies. Not really indicative of what he would go on to do.

Salem's Lot. The original TV miniseries. I just watched this one, finally. It's a big commitment since it's about three hours long, but I thought it was worth it. Dated in a lot of respects, but since it was a TV production, it is slower and restrained in some ways that actually benefit the story. You still feel the cuts to where commercials would come in, but it is oddly effective. I liked it quite a bit.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Ok, ONE more. The horror marathon I was at this past weekend showed a new movie called Bliss. Don't watch it if you're epileptic. It's loud and kinetic and bloody. Seemed to divide the audience. I was on the pro side.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ok, ONE more. The horror marathon I was at this past weekend showed a new movie called Bliss. Don't watch it if you're epileptic. It's loud and kinetic and bloody. Seemed to divide the audience. I was on the pro side.
Just a passing thought but have you seen Under the Shadow from Iran. I think it is one of the best horror films that I have seen in the past few years. Was available on Netflix; I don't know if it still is.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Great suggestions. I'd vouch for What We Do in the Shadows, Near Dark and Only Lovers Left Alive, all mentioned elsewhere, too.

Four more:

Fright Night. Just great fun. That's not just nostalgia talking. I think it holds up great.

From Dusk til Dawn. Part Tarantino, part gore-fest. Another one that's ultimately just a lot of fun.

The Hunger. Not everyone's jam. It's slow and very very 80s. But it's got a lot of style. One of Tony Scott's first movies. Not really indicative of what he would go on to do.

Salem's Lot. The original TV miniseries. I just watched this one, finally. It's a big commitment since it's about three hours long, but I thought it was worth it. Dated in a lot of respects, but since it was a TV production, it is slower and restrained in some ways that actually benefit the story. You still feel the cuts to where commercials would come in, but it is oddly effective. I liked it quite a bit.

It's been too long since I've seen The Hunger. I know it's supposed to be a great film, but my memory has doubts about that. I need to see it again. Haven't seen What we do and Only Lovers yet, and I don't think I've ever seen Salem's Lot (!!). I'll try to rectify in the coming months, but I'm pretty slow...

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's been too long since I've seen The Hunger. I know it's supposed to be a great film, but my memory has doubts about that. I need to see it again. Haven't seen What we do and Only Lovers yet, and I don't think I've ever seen Salem's Lot (!!). I'll try to rectify in the coming months, but I'm pretty slow...
I'm a big fan of The Hunger, an ultra stylish vampire film with fine performances from David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve at her most breathtakingly beautiful. Works as a vampire movie; also works as a movie about romantic rejection. Holds up very well.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm a big fan of The Hunger, an ultra stylish vampire film with fine performances from David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve at her most breathtakingly beautiful. Works as a vampire movie; also works as a movie about romantic rejection. Holds up very well.

I'm a fan as well, but it's one of the more divisive horror movies among the people I've interacted with about it. I know a fair amount who strongly dislike it and call it boring. I respectfully disagree, but that line of thinking is out there ...

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

I'm a fan as well, but it's one of the more divisive horror movies among the people I've interacted with about it. I know a fair amount who strongly dislike it and call it boring. I respectfully disagree, but that line of thinking is out there ...

I don't remember it as boring (I'm a Duras fan, nothing can bore me), but maybe as overdone. I'll try and see it again!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->