Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +1

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Just a quick note to say I finally saw Shoplifters.... and I have no idea what to think. There was just too much info to absorb, I will have to watch it a second time. I wasn't sure about my value judgements, I kept asking what is right or wrong and should I really compare my values relative to theirs, all the while trying to read subtitles and trying to make sense of the whole thing. I just got lost. A good film, Koreeda at his best questioning societal values with a delicate touch but I wasn't quick enough to catch it all on the first stroke.

Reactions: kihei

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
A Star Is Born (dir. Bradley Cooper)

It's well made, and has some really good performances. And I was really into it for the first 40 minutes or so. But after that, it kinda falls a part. The drama and characters are not handled well, and it somehow simultaneously feels paced too slowly and rushed at the same time. I had issues with the editing. It was long and plodding, and yet we hardly get time to really sit with the main characters and their relationship. And for me, that totally prevented the film from having any emotional impact on me by the end.

5/10

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Green Book - 7.5/10

For all of the "magical negro" talk surrounding the film (I'm sure a lot of that had to do with its BP nom), I thought it was quite enjoyable with a couple of great performances. Not reinventing the wheel by any means but it got the job done. I was also surprised by just how funny it was.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Alita: Battle Angel
2.70 out of 4stars

Damn't. My long review was lost because my computer froze. So you are getting the condensed summary. Altogether, a groundbreaking visual treat for your eyes (worth the price of admission alone for that and bumped my rating up quite a bit for that also), but an otherwise mediocre story with lots of energy and heart (and flaws).

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Alita Battle Angel - 7/10

Thought it was gonna suck. Well, the forced romance stuff sucked and the story wasn't anything special but good action and visuals. Enjoyed it more than Ready Player One, honestly. Solid flick.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Won't You Be My Neighbor?

I haven't seen any other documentaries this year, but just based on subject matter alone I am shocked that this wasn't nominated. Don't expect to learn any deep dark secrets about Fred Rodgers other than he really was the nicest person alive. Enjoyed seeing the segments of his early shows which directly spoke to children regarding real world events of the time were great. You get alot of video of Fred explaining his philosophy of the segments of the show. If you grew up watching Mr Rodgers its worth the time. I cant give an rating that isn't swayed by how much I loved the show as a kid.

Reactions: OzzyFan

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - maybe not as bad as some of the other films of that series, still a load of crap... The higher I could go for that is 2.5/10

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Happy Death Day 2U [2019] :

I don't remember much about the original other than :

1) There's a moment of bathroom humour that is terribly misplaced / completely unnecessary;
2) Lead actress Jessica Rothe can't act;
3) To the movie's credit, the plot was fresh / fun.

The sequel takes place in another dimension where :

1) Bathroom humour exists, but it's less off-putting / stomach turning;
2) Lead actress Jessica Rothe STILL can't act;
3) The plot is no longer fresh or fun.

Save your money and avoid.
2/10

Edit :

Giving Happy Death Day 2U the same rating as the offensive What Men Want is not fair. For that reason, I'm bumping Happy Death Day 2U to a 3.5.

It's still lousy, but it's not THAT lousy.

3.5/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Won't You Be My Neighbor?

I haven't seen any other documentaries this year, but just based on subject matter alone I am shocked that this wasn't nominated. Don't expect to learn any deep dark secrets about Fred Rodgers other than he really was the nicest person alive. Enjoyed seeing the segments of his early shows which directly spoke to children regarding real world events of the time were great. You get alot of video of Fred explaining his philosophy of the segments of the show. If you grew up watching Mr Rodgers its worth the time. I cant give an rating that isn't swayed by how much I loved the show as a kid.

Funny thing: my daughter never watched Mr Rogers because she was scared of him. She thought he was creepy.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Funny thing: my daughter never watched Mr Rogers because she was scared of him. She thought he was creepy.

It sounds like your daughter has a fear of sweaters... agoraphobia, I think it's called.

I've always been creeped out by the puppets, especially King Friday.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Happy Death Day 2U [2019] :

I don't remember much about the original other than :

1) There's a moment of bathroom humour that is terribly misplaced / completely unnecessary;
2) Lead actress Jessica Rothe can't act;
3) To the movie's credit, the plot was fresh / fun.

The sequel takes place in another dimension where :

1) Bathroom humour exists, but it's less off-putting / stomach turning;
2) Lead actress Jessica Rothe STILL can't act;
3) The plot is no longer fresh or fun.

Save your money and avoid.
2/10

Movie Trailer :

I liked it, but it was nothing groundbreaking...

Happy Death Day 2U
2.20 out of 4stars

Much more complicated than the 1st one, but that's because it "tries" to explain the timeloop situation and explain everything moving forward in this sequel way too much. That said, it is repetitive and less fun and less naturally humorous and has much less horror tension and doesn't flow nearly as well as the original. But, it's heart is in the right place and it's theme of personal growth and life decisions continues fairly well. I do agree with ORRFForever, the brow of humor is a bit lower too. But I disagree on Rothe, I still think she carried this one on her shoulders, and I'd say knocked the original out of the park with her turn. Yeah, you could probably wait till this one hits netflix to see it.

PS=They did tease a 3rd movie after the credits to make this a trilogy, and even though this movie is performing under expectations at the box office, given it's $9 million budget, it's going to definitely be profitable, so another sequel is definitely possible.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Bohemian Rhapsody (dir. Brian Singer)

Outside of the concerts and lead performance by Rami Malek, this is dogshit. Inconceivable that this is getting so much award buzz. It's nomination for best editing at the Oscars especially sticks out, because the editing was noticeably bad.

3/10

Reactions: Fripp

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
But I disagree on Rothe, I still think she carried this one on her shoulders, and I'd say knocked the original out of the park with her turn.
I did not see that coming.

I sure hope there is NO more sequels... but I know there will be. :thumbd:

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What Men Want [2019] :

Angry, sassy sports agent Ali Davis (Taraji P. Hanson) beats men at their own game by reading minds. And, just in case Hanson isn't loud/vulgar/obnoxious enough, Tracy Morgan adds to the discomfort.

What Men Want should have been called What Stereotypes Want.

2/10

Movie Trailer :

Reactions: Amerika

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
We rented (the 2018) The Grinch..

My opinion, it was another lame, uninspired reboot. The Grinch's voice had no edge or menace. The Whos we're strangely redesigned to be more human; they lost their original elfish/hybrid look.. The narration was forgettable.. bad hip-hop soundtrack.

Guess I'd rate it a 2 on a 10 pt scale.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
What Men Want [2019] :

Angry, sassy sports agent Ali Davis (Taraji P. Hanson) beats men at their own game by reading minds. And, just in case Hanson isn't loud/vulgar/obnoxious enough, Tracy Morgan adds to the discomfort.

What Men Want should have been called What Stereotypes Want.

2/10

Movie Trailer :

Wow. That trailer was offensive, and I don't even mean this racial wise. That movie just looks brutal.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Wow. That trailer was offensive, and I don't even mean this in a racial wise. That movie just looks brutal.
It is. And talk about stereotypes...

* The lead character is a brash, loud, sassy black woman.
* Her assistant is a meek, mousy gay man.
* ALL the other guys (minus her love interest) are alpha jerks.

Plus, all the female empowerment / guys keep women down preaching grows old fast.

As much as I hated Happy Death Day 2U, at least it TRIED to be different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Velvet Buzzsaw... Hmmm, I feel I missed something in there. I liked Nightcrawler quite a bit, but here the guy doesn't seem to know where he's going with his material. The commentaries on art and the art-world seem superficial or vain, which seems to be only adding to what the film aims at criticizing... As a horror film, it misses the mark entirely, but has somewhat the feel of a throwback to more interesting times, only botched... I don't know anything about Zawe Ashton, so I couldn't say if her stiffed performance was her general way of non-acting, but after Gyllenhaal commented on her skin tone, I just couldn't take my eyes off her. Not relevent I guess. 4/10

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Free Solo [2018] :

At first blush, Free Solo is about Alex Honnold climbing a previously unclimbable mountain without any ropes, harnesses or protective equipment.

A deeper look reveals a very UN-likable extreme athlete, and his adorable, ever loyal girlfriend, who somehow stands by him no matter how cold/selfish/self absorbed he is.

What a breathtaking / interesting documentary.

8.5/10

Movie Trailer :

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Il Posto (1961) - 8/10

Late Italian neo-realist film much better than that wank-off bullshit Fellini and co were making up their own asses at the time. Good sympathetic movie about humanism also featuring one of the cutest boy/girl meets you'll see on film.

Force Majeure (2014) - 6.5/10

Awkward Swedish dark comedyrama ha ha ha ha...... :-|

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Price Of Everything [2018] :

If you ever needed proof of the silliness / frivolity / patheticness of art and the art world, this doc is for you. Talk about a Ponzi scheme.

7/10

Movie Trailer :

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad