Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
*edit* Wait, what? Oh. New thread. Back to the 1k limit again.

-----------------------------------------------

Come one come all to the mighty HF movie thread! Okay, mainly it's just kihei making us all feel insecure and lacking in our movie knowledge, but still...enjoy the recommendations and different tastes and watch as internet randos throw weird rating systems at you!

Enjoy!

Previous thread: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/last-movie-you-watched-and-rate-it.2386249/

Demolition Man is on again for the upty-upth time.

Just realized: why did Denis Leary and the other "scraps" go underground when the Political Correctness Police took over California? How about go...north? Or south? Or east? Did the entire world just die and all that's left is San Angeles? That's a lot of dead people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) - 7/10

There was something very off and robotic about the dialogue in many parts of this film. Really lacking in wit and naturalness. I didn't feel like the stakes were very high either or care for the characters but the climax was decent. It also looked incredibly dull visually and I don't think that's because of the 2D cheap theatre I went to either. Acting was good from Bettany/Woody/guy playing Solo but their lines were shit.

Better than The Last Mess, poorer than Rogue One, nowhere close to TFA.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Will I be missing much if I watch Blade Runner 2049 without having seen the original (or knowing pretty much anything about it?)

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Sorry to Bother You - 8.5/10

Just as nutty as the trailers and reviews suggest, and I mean that in the best way possible. An original, funny, crazy, messy film with some great performances.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Will I be missing much if I watch Blade Runner 2049 without having seen the original (or knowing pretty much anything about it?)
On top of what Tkachuk4MVP said, I would also say that the original Blade Runner is the better movie anyways, in my opinion (and probably the more accessible entry point as well), so I'm not sure there's a good reason not to start with that one regardless.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Just Watched My New Copy Of:

28378469_1853906061310046_4265728188797858376_n-jpg.361085

7.5/10

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
A Quiet Place

with quiet people

2020, yet another post-apocalyptic Earth. This time, a young family walks barefoot along soft sand-strewn paths in an abandoned small town in corn country. They muffle their coughs and mime ASL to each other to communicate as they search the ruins for medicine to treat one of the three children, then they shuffle quietly back to their farm. But the youngest found a toy space shuttle in the derelict pharmacy! He loads the batteries into the receptacle, pushes the button and...WHOMP. Bye, kid.

This Earth has been invaded by some very nasty aliens who home in on sound. Very effectively. Our little family of two parents and three two kids make the best of it in their farmhouse and surrounding area where the dad has a comms room with helpful newspaper articles on the walls for exposition. These aliens are armoured, blind, triggered by sound, and have wiped out just about everyone. Oldest daughter is just blossoming into puberty, younger brother is scared shitless, and mom is heavily pregnant. Uh-oh.

Very suspenseful, you can feel for the people, but the ending falls very flat. It's not M Night Shyamalamadingdong kind of flat, but still. The air just went out of the tires for me. You can see the plot building. "Oh, the daughter's deaf with cochlear implants? What a coincidence!"

And my wife rolled her eyes so many times at the concept of a "quiet" labour and childbirth I thought her eyes were going to get stuck facing the back of her skull.

Also, I do not recall a shortage of shotguns being a problem in farm country USA.

Kyle Tate

Jul 6, 2018
The last movie I watch is Avengers: Infinity War. Its really awesome movie but didn't complete now waiting for the second part

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Skyscraper
2.10 out of 4stars

Mildly entertaining, highly unbelievable (expected, but still hilarious to think a man is capable of climbing 100floors by hand halfway through an action movie in 1 day's time), full of nonsensical actions (hoped wouldn't happen too often), "Die Hard knock off". Almost completely lacked a sense of humor also, not too much going for this. Wow, $125million budget. It never ceases to amaze me that hollywood keeps trying to push idiotic action movies with no point of existence. I understand some if they have the right shtick or newer elements brought to the genre, or even a franchise like F&F which keeps upping the ante, but skyscraper is not in that category.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Okja

with Korean people. Also white people lacking anything better to do. And Steven Yuen from The Walking Dead.

Okja is a CGI mutant pig/hippo thing that's been raised in the Korean mountains by a Korean girl and her grandfather after it and 24 of its mutant siblings were sent out to be raised traditionally by farmers around the world for years on end then brought back to the horrible mutant creature creator labs in New Jersey to become the next big foodstuff. The kid is too attached to Okja to let it go peacefully, and the Animal Liberation Front sticks its malnourished nose in the do battle with the horrible corporate overlords led by Tilda Swinton (evil white skeleton that she is) and her mascot Jake Gyllenhall, who (in what has to be one of the worst performances of his life) plays a professional tv animal annoyer a la Steve Irwin.

Hated it. Really, really hated it. Maudlin, predictable, and full of awful overacting.

On Netflix, your go-to provider of intense tv shows and horrible movies.

Last edited:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Hotel Transylvania 3 - soooooooooooo bad. (my 9 year old looooved it)

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Sorry To Bother You (dir. Boots Riley)

An absolute blast, this dystopian take on American work culture is hilarious, strange, disturbing, poignant and everything inbetween. It's a little rough in parts, and some of the humor didn't quite register with me. But overall, Sorry To Bother You is a very fresh screwball comedy with a lot to say. Lakeith Stanfield is a star, and Armie Hammer absolutely nails his role as well.

8B

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Thor: Ragnarok

with everyone you recognize from the 8000 other Marvel movies

Thor finds himself wondering what to do for a little while, then beats people up, gets a haircut from Stan Lee, meets a girl who makes him get all awkward and babbling, and he and the Hulk have a competition to see who's dumber. They both win.

Oh, and his big sister Hela the Goddess of Death turns up to take over Asgaard and rule the universe. Jeff Goldblum plays the role of: Jeff Goldblum wearing silly clothes.

One of the better Marvel movies, but tries way too hard to be a comedy. Tom Hiddleston has to be getting bored of being Loki by now.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Stalker (1979): 9.5/10. One of the best films I've ever seen. Top 5 for sure. Definitely watch it if you're a movie buff.

Newest Jurassic Park: 4/10. Gets all its points for the good CGI making the dinosaurs seem pretty realistic, but other than that, terrible plot line.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Smokin' Aces gets an 8 from me, simply for the Ben Affleck/Chris Pine scene alone.

Pretty good movie and they had a cast of big name people who weren't at all big names at the time. I can't really think of many movies that had that many big names before their career's really took off.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
clairescamera2-800x400.png

Claire's Camera
(2018) Directed by Hong Sang-soo 7C

Claire's Camera
is my second Hong Sang-soo film, On the Beach at Night Alone being the other, and I love his style of making movies which seems two parts himself and one part Francois Truffaut. Hong makes movies that are almost all conversation, much of it thought up on the spot by his actors, though usually around a certain theme or idea. These themes deal with various human foibles and motivations, and Hong has almost an off-hand way of subtly digging beneath the surface of his characters, very frequently distracting the audience with humour along the way, not to mention generating a great deal of charm in the process. Combine this with an stylishly nonlinear approach to editing and one gets movies that seem almost aggressively slight, and yet they manage to stay with me for weeks and weeks. What blanks he doesn't fill in, he trusts the audience's intelligence to figure them out, and he does provide enough oblique information to allow the audience do so. Claire's Camera is about Manhee (Kim Min Hee who also starred in On the Beach at Night), a young woman who has been unjustly fired by her female boss while they are working in Cannes, during the festival. Minhee is befriended by Clare (Isabelle Huppert, sweet, charming and a little goofy), and together they piece together what really happened and why Minhee was fired--though they don't start out trying to figure it out, it kind of happens anyway. Claire's camera figures largely in the revelations. Eventually things work out okay in the end, though Hong has an unconventional method of signalling that result. Kim Min Hee should become a huge star. Whether reading lines or improvising on the spot, she is absolutely captivating, a South Korean Annie Hall minus the neurotic mannerisms.. Claire's Camera is uncommonly pleasing, though undoubtedly more so for viewers who have a certain tolerance for cafe table conversations in lieu of action.

(subtitles and English)

Best of '18 so far

On the Beach at Night Alone, Hong, South Korea
Foxtrot, Maoz, Israel
You Were Never Really Here, Ramsay, US
Upgrade, Whannell, Australia
Clare’s Camera, Hong, South Korea
Annihilation, Garland, US

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1530253450_14_Wheels-reviews-the-new-film-from-the-writerdirector-of-WINTERS-BONE-LEAVE-NO-TRACE.jpg

Leave No Trace
(2018) Directed by Debra Granik 7B

Leave No Trace
focuses on the relationship between Will (Ben Foster) and his 17-year-old daughter Tom (Thomasin McKenzie). They have made a life for themselves deep in the Oregon woods, one that suits them or at least it has up until now. They are not homeless; rather they choose to live as freely and as far from people as possible. Eventually they are discovered by the authorities, and adjustments have to be made. Will is provided with little backstory, but we eventually come to know that he is a psychologically damaged veteran who has what almost amounts to a phobia toward his fellow human beings. But despite the depth of his pain, he has been a very good father. Although Tom loves her dad dearly, she is growing up and she is beginning to understand that his central problem is one that she might not be able to continue to share. Leave No Trace is director Debra Granik's first fictional film since Winter Bone (2010), and it is worth the long wait. The movies share in common a convincing sense of place and atmosphere, an awareness of the complexities of family, and a deep and abiding sense of humanity. Leave No Trace is definitely a slow burn, which contributes to its strength because Granik has such a firm grasp of what she is trying to accomplish. It is a movie of relatively spare dialogue, a measured pace and voices that are seldom raised in anger. Yet its emotional force is undeniable. Foster gives a beautifully gauged performance, quiet and internalized. However, newcomer McKenzie steals the film. For someone so young, she is a remarkably subtle actress, revealing more with her expression than she does with her words. I hope this movie finds an audience because I think it is the best American movie of the year so far--heart-wrenching but in an honest and understated way.

Best of '18 so far

Leave No Trace, Granik, US
Foxtrot, Maoz, Israel

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The Wolf of Wall Street was pretty damn good. 9/10 for me.
Donnie Darko 8/10
Full-Metal Jacket 9/10
One of my favorite movies of all-time....

I strongly recommend reading the book mentioned in the movie The Philosophy of Time Travel (It is available here) and then re-watching the film again. I did this a while back when showing the film to two separate friends and reading the book in between the two viewings.

It is crazy how much the book actually relates directly to the movie and most of the elements of the film that seem odd or peculiar just for the sake of being odd and peculiar.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
clairescamera2-800x400.png

Claire's Camera
(2018) Directed by Hong Sang-soo 7C

Claire's Camera
is my second Hong Sang-soo film, On the Beach at Night Alone being the other, and I love his style of making movies which seems two parts himself and one part Francois Truffaut. Hong makes movies that are almost all conversation, much of it thought up on the spot by his actors, though usually around a certain theme or idea. These themes deal with various human foibles and motivations, and Hong has almost an off-hand way of subtly digging beneath the surface of his characters, very frequently distracting the audience with humour along the way, not to mention generating a great deal of charm in the process. Combine this with an stylishly nonlinear approach to editing and one gets movies that seem almost aggressively slight, and yet they manage to stay with me for weeks and weeks. What blanks he doesn't fill in, he trusts the audience's intelligence to figure them out, and he does provide enough oblique information to allow the audience do so. Claire's Camera is about Manhee (Kim Min Hee who also starred in On the Beach at Night), a young woman who has been unjustly fired by her female boss while they are working in Cannes, during the festival. Minhee is befriended by Clare (Isabelle Huppert, sweet, charming and a little goofy), and together they piece together what really happened and why Minhee was fired--though they don't start out trying to figure it out, it kind of happens anyway. Claire's camera figures largely in the revelations. Eventually things work out okay in the end, though Hong has an unconventional method of signalling that result. Kim Min Hee should become a huge star. Whether reading lines or improvising on the spot, she is absolutely captivating, a South Korean Annie Hall minus the neurotic mannerisms.. Claire's Camera is uncommonly pleasing, though undoubtedly more so for viewers who have a certain tolerance for cafe table conversations in lieu of action.

(subtitles and English)

Best of '18 so far

Foxtrot, Maoz, Israel

I am so surprised you liked it, and to be honest, I do not understand your reasoning at all. The movie completely meanders, and the characters are paper-thin caricatures that stays one-dimensional. Basically, it was akin to a complete stranger's home movie that I am forced to watch, for some strange reason, and thus, I simply do not care, at all. To be blunt, this was one of the lowlights of my VIFF experience last year.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I am so surprised you liked it, and to be honest, I do not understand your reasoning at all. The movie completely meanders, and the characters are paper-thin caricatures that stays one-dimensional. Basically, it was akin to a complete stranger's home movie that I am forced to watch, for some strange reason, and thus, I simply do not care, at all. To be blunt, this was one of the lowlights of my VIFF experience last year.
Howdy, stranger.

Actually, I am absolutely falling in love with the guy's style. After seeing it again the other night, I just moved Hong's On the Beach at Night Alone (released in Asia last year, but in Canada this year) up to my #1 seed for 2018. While I can understand your feelings and concede that a whole bunch of people would be far more sympathetic to your position than mine, I find his style refreshing, perceptive, and full of little surprises as well as cinematically pleasing (the way he can jostle time frames about, as one for instance). In the two films that I have seen of Hong's, I see a little of Cassavettes and a little of Truffaut as well as a great deal that is thoroughly his own, his approach to character development, for instance, and his faith in the audience's intelligence. I found On the Beach at Night Alone and Claire's Camera emotionally engaging and aesthetically satisfying, the sort of movies that I look forward to watching again and again. From my perspective, I think Hong possesses the most original cinematic vision since the emergence of Apichatpong Weerasethakul earlier this century.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I had to look up who Hong Sang-soo was, and it turns out that I have watched a number of his works. You are correct that he has an unique vision, with a heavy emphasis on dialogue, and they often employ a fractured narrative, in an attempt to recreate how human memories work. I actually quite enjoy his previous works, in particular his debut work The Day A Pig Fell Into the Well, The Day He Arrives, and especially Virgin Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors. The last one is the story of how a woman lost her virginity, told from both the man and the woman's point of view. It was one of the first Korean films I have watched, and I still remember it very well, due to the uncommon yet very interesting narrative style it employed.

This one, however, meanders too much, even by his standards, and I just cannot get into it. From what I have read, apparently he finished the movie in mere days, which can explain how it seems to be completely lost and directionless. Regardless, thank you for your clarification. I can understand why you can be attracted to the style, because he is definitely very different.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad