Line Combos: Last Minute of a One Goal Game... Who do you put out there?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Just a little bit of fun, "its still the summer discussion...

Its the last minute of the game... We're:
A: Down a goal... Who do you put on the ice?
B: Up a goal... Who do you put on the ice?

For me it goes like:
A: Down a goal...
Tavares-Matthews-Marner-Hyman
Rielly-Nylander

B: Up a goal...
Marleau-Matthews-Hyman
Rielly-Zaitsev/Hainsey

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Down (with Freddy pulled): JT,Auston,Naz,Mitch,Jake,Morgan (if Nylander is on his game that night, then replace Morgan)
Up: Naz,Brown,Hyman,Morgan,Hainsey

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Not gonna post an entire list but up a goal I want Kapanen on the ice, his speed could help ice a game with an empty netter and he's quite solid defensively as well
That's a good reason to have him out there. Maybe a Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen forward line up when up a goal.

Down a goal, maybe something like this.
Hyman
Matthews-Tavares-Nylander
Rielly-Marner

Hyman in front doing what he does, the trio in the middle looking for open passing lanes and Rielly-Marner on the back.

Reactions: MyBudJT

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
With all the talent we have up front there is NO chance I'm having stone hands Hyman on the ice when we are down a goal. I absolutely LOVE Hyman but come on.

Down a goal: Marner-Matthews-Tavares-Kadri-Rielly-Gardiner OR Willy

Up a goal: Marleau-Kadri-Hyman-Hainsey-Rielly

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Down a goal, I think you need Hyman on the ice, as he's probably the best at getting the puck back in their end. Get the puck, give it to someone else (Matthews, Tavares, Marner) to score.

Up a goal, without Komarov, definitely Kapanen and Hyman. Maybe Brown or Matthews, but not Kadri.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think this isn't going to be too big a deal as people are making this out to be with perhaps just a minor change here and there otherwise lines stay the same.

Kadri is being setup as a checking line with Brown on his wing so they would logically be an obvious line to have out there last minute to hold on to a lead with perhaps Hyman replacing the LW for example.

If the Leafs pull the goalie and down a goal then if the Marleau - Matthews - Nylander line is on the ice then you would expect to see JT or Marner jump over the boards as the extra man.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I think this isn't going to be too big a deal as people are making this out to be with perhaps just a minor change here and there otherwise lines stay the same.

Kadri is being setup as a checking line with Brown on his wing so they would logically be an obvious line to have out there last minute to hold on to a lead with perhaps Hyman replacing the LW for example.

If the Leafs pull the goalie and down a goal then if the Marleau - Matthews - Nylander line is on the ice then you would expect to see JT or Marner jump over the boards as the extra man.
We are also going to see lines like Kadri - Tavares - Brown when being up a goal. Then Tavares takes the faceoff and if he is tossed out, Kadri goes it. Hyman - Matthews - Marleau is the second down a goal line if the other suckas get tired.
When we is down and trying to get a goal is going to be: Kadri - Tavares - Matthews - Marner - Nylander - Rielly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad