Last Man In Vote: Send DP57 to the All Star Game

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
At the very bottom of the forum page near the "Start New Thread" icon there should be a "Show Ignored Content" link that you can click. This will reveal all the threads created by any users you may have on ignore. It is undone (all the threads are re-hidden) when you refresh the forum page.

After entering a previously ignored thread, users on ignore will still have their posts be invisible to you within those threads unless you once again click the "Show Ignored Content" link within the thread itself (located just above the reply box at the bottom of the page towards the right hand side of the screen). This is also undone once you refresh the thread.
Thanks for the information.

The current system is very confusing. About half the time, I can see the ignored user's posts in a suppressed manner. But I'm sure there are many posts I don't see at all, because I pick up tangential comments from other users. I have no idea what dictates one or the other status for an individual post.

It would be splendid if there were an option to ignore a user that didn't have a built-in pressure to 'un-ignore' frequently due to missed forum content. I'll try using the Show Ignored Content when I suspect I'm missing an entire thread. But it only helps if you know you are missing something, which by definition you don't know.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Thanks for the information.

The current system is very confusing. About half the time, I can see the ignored user's posts in a suppressed manner. But I'm sure there are many posts I don't see at all, because I pick up tangential comments from other users. I have no idea what dictates one or the other status for an individual post.

It would be splendid if there were an option to ignore a user that didn't have a built-in pressure to 'un-ignore' frequently due to missed forum content. I'll try using the Show Ignored Content when I suspect I'm missing an entire thread. But it only helps if you know you are missing something, which by definition you don't know.
Yoyo made the GDT again for today.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Le Bump

If he doesn't make it, I'll blame all of you.

:mad:

It won't be our fault. Statistically, there is just nothing Blues fans can do. If half the Maple Leafs fans who are spamming for Marner vote for some other player, that cancels our votes right there. There are 24 other fan bases who do not have a dog in the Central Division fight but have to pick someone. They are the ones who will swing the Central race, not us. That doesn't mean don't vote, because it could be close. But they have far more voting power than we do. Will they vote based on stats (Perron), hype (Makar) or name recognition (pretty much any of the other guys)? I think stats often win out, and Perron has far and away the most points. So he has a shot. But if he loses, it is more to due with the people who don't watch the Central and dismissed his season as a fluke from a 45-point guy.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It won't be our fault. Statistically, there is just nothing Blues fans can do. If half the Maple Leafs fans who are spamming for Marner vote for some other player, that cancels our votes right there. There are 24 other fan bases who do not have a dog in the Central Division fight but have to pick someone. They are the ones who will swing the Central race, not us. That doesn't mean don't vote, because it could be close. But they have far more voting power than we do. Will they vote based on stats (Perron), hype (Makar) or name recognition (pretty much any of the other guys)? I think stats often win out, and Perron has far and away the most points. So he has a shot. But if he loses, it is more to due with the people who don't watch the Central and dismissed his season as a fluke from a 45-point guy.
The bolded is spot on. The league and their proxies (NBCSN, NHL Network, TSN, and SN) are force feeding hockey fans the Cale Makar story. There is no way our rabid fanbase can outvote the casual fans who are going to vote for the player that is being hyped. Not to say that there isn't good reason for the hype - Makar is a great player and deserves the recognition. But Frenchie is having an amazing season, he's a great story, and he's a defending Cup champion, he's just not being talked about the way Makar is.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The bolded is spot on. The league and their proxies (NBCSN, NHL Network, TSN, and SN) are force feeding hockey fans the Cale Makar story. There is no way our rabid fanbase can outvote the casual fans who are going to vote for the player that is being hyped. Not to say that there isn't good reason for the hype - Makar is a great player and deserves the recognition. But Frenchie is having an amazing season, he's a great story, and he's a defending Cup champion, he's just not being talked about the way Makar is.
Perron got just as much, if not more hype on NBCSN when they talked about the all star vote during the Blues/Avs game last week. Most of the hype about Makar in that game was related to him having a goal and an assist that night. Makar is getting justified hype about being the runaway Calder candidate so far. He's 2nd in rookie scoring as a 21 year old D man and only trails the 24 year old leader by 3 points in 6 fewer games played. Additionally, he is playing 20+ minutes a night for a top 10 NHL team while most the other top rookies getting prominent roles are doing it for bad or middling teams. He's 7th in scoring and 5th in points per game among NHL D men. That is going to cause some people to vote for him as last man in, but it isn't the league force feeding his story.

I know you recognized that his hype is well deserved, but I think it is worth pointing out that Makar isn't getting unfairly talked about more than Perron. Perron is having an amazing season and I thought that he deserved a spot over ROR. I am voting for him every day and want to see him at the game. But Makar's story is better than Perron's. A 21 year old rookie D man stepping right in and playing at a 72 point pace is just an objectively more noteworthy story than a veteran forward playing at an 82 point pace when he has been a 65-70 point pace player for the previous 2 years.

Again, I'm voting for Perron. But Makar and Perron both would have been on my all star roster and it will be a snub for whichever one gets left off. It will be an even bigger snub if both get left off because people vote for literally anyone else in the division.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Makar and Perron got screwed by Hellebuyck making it over Bishop and thus forcing an undeserving Seguin on the roster. The Stars have only 1 deserving all-star and he didn't make the team.

Just based on roster construction, Makar should make it as the 3rd D.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I won’t be upset if Makar gets in. He’s deserving. But Perron is more deserving than a few guys who are there. I just don’t think he’s going to win this popularity contest.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Perron got just as much, if not more hype on NBCSN when they talked about the all star vote during the Blues/Avs game last week. Most of the hype about Makar in that game was related to him having a goal and an assist that night. Makar is getting justified hype about being the runaway Calder candidate so far. He's 2nd in rookie scoring as a 21 year old D man and only trails the 24 year old leader by 3 points in 6 fewer games played. Additionally, he is playing 20+ minutes a night for a top 10 NHL team while most the other top rookies getting prominent roles are doing it for bad or middling teams. He's 7th in scoring and 5th in points per game among NHL D men. That is going to cause some people to vote for him as last man in, but it isn't the league force feeding his story.

I know you recognized that his hype is well deserved, but I think it is worth pointing out that Makar isn't getting unfairly talked about more than Perron. Perron is having an amazing season and I thought that he deserved a spot over ROR. I am voting for him every day and want to see him at the game. But Makar's story is better than Perron's. A 21 year old rookie D man stepping right in and playing at a 72 point pace is just an objectively more noteworthy story than a veteran forward playing at an 82 point pace when he has been a 65-70 point pace player for the previous 2 years.

Again, I'm voting for Perron. But Makar and Perron both would have been on my all star roster and it will be a snub for whichever one gets left off. It will be an even bigger snub if both get left off because people vote for literally anyone else in the division.
Right or wrong, I generally look at who deserves to be in a mid-season All Star game based on what they've done since the last one, not just what they've done for that partial season. I think what Perron did last season and this easily trumps what Makar had done for this season plus a few games in last year's playoffs. To your point above which I have bolded, I would argue the opposite with regard to which player is more deserving of the last spot, that Perron has had All Star worthy performance for the last three years without getting in, while Makar has a small sample size that may or may not be sustainable. I will also side with the veteran over the kid if both are deserving, because the kid will have his time if he's the real deal, but who knows how many more chances the vet will have.

I appreciate that not everyone agrees with either of these points of view, but even in a vacuum I give Perron the tie breaker on both counts. Makar shouldn't be left off the team at Perron's expense, but here we are. It will be disappointing if Perron gets left off regardless of who gets voted in because he's deserved it now for three years running.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Right or wrong, I generally look at who deserves to be in a mid-season All Star game based on what they've done since the last one, not just what they've done for that partial season. I think what Perron did last season and this easily trumps what Makar had done for this season plus a few games in last year's playoffs. To your point above which I have bolded, I would argue the opposite with regard to which player is more deserving of the last spot, that Perron has had All Star worthy performance for the last three years without getting in, while Makar has a small sample size that may or may not be sustainable. I will also side with the veteran over the kid if both are deserving, because the kid will have his time if he's the real deal, but who knows how many more chances the vet will have.

I appreciate that not everyone agrees with either of these points of view, but even in a vacuum I give Perron the tie breaker on both counts. Makar shouldn't be left off the team at Perron's expense, but here we are. It will be disappointing if Perron gets left off regardless of who gets voted in because he's deserved it now for three years running.
I've never considered that type of "all star game to all star game" approach to determine merit. I've always viewed the all start game as "just this season" but that is an interesting method of analysis.

Regardless, I'm voting for Perron 10 times a day because I want him in over Makar. I think he has a pretty decent shot too.

Reactions: MissouriMook

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The NHL twitter is really pushing for Makar. Seen a bunch of retweets for them promoting him for the ASG. Just seen one for Perron today.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Is a #4 overall pick coming in and playing great in his D+3 season really a great story? Its almost kind of expected that high draft picks will be great when they break into the league. Not to take away from how good he has been. It's just is a bit more expected for him to be as great as he has been than it has been for Perron.

For me, Perron is a more interesting story in that he is in his 30s. He was a 47.5 Pt per 82 game player over the first 10 years of his career. Then he got sent to an expansion team and found his game in a big way, having his career yea; moreover, it is back with the team that failed to protect him in the expansion draf and at 31 when most people are considered in decline. He's not had an all-star appearance in his 12 year career (at least I dont think so). Now he is playing at a Pt per game or 82 pt per 82 game pace...AT 31!?!?!?!?!? That is an insane story.

Makar is just a great talent who was always expected to be great and will continue to be great and will get a half dozen or more all-star bids in his career. Fun as hell to watch, but not as fun from a story telling standpoint, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Is a #4 overall pick coming in and playing great in his D+3 season really a great story? Its almost kind of expected that high draft picks will be great when they break into the league. Not to take away from how good he has been. It's just is a bit more expected for him to be as great as he has been than it has been for Perron.

For me, Perron is a more interesting story in that he is in his 30s. He was a 47.5 Pt per 82 game player over the first 10 years of his career. Then he got sent to an expansion team and found his game in a big way, having his career yea; moreover, it is back with the team that failed to protect him in the expansion draf and at 31 when most people are considered in decline. He's not had an all-star appearance in his 12 year career (at least I dont think so). Now he is playing at a Pt per game or 82 pt per 82 game pace...AT 31!?!?!?!?!? That is an insane story.

Makar is just a great talent who was always expected to be great and will continue to be great and will get a half dozen or more all-star bids in his career. Fun as hell to watch, but not as fun from a story telling standpoint, in my opinion.
A rookie D man has never finished in the top 5 in points among D men in the salary cap era. If every D man continued scoring at their current pace for their remaining games this season, Makar would finish 5th in scoring among D men.

No rookie D man has hit the 50 point mark in the salary cap era. The last time it happened was 1993.

Here is the complete list of rookie D men who have hit 65 points in the league's history: Larry Murphy, Brian Leetch, Gary Suter, Phil Housley, and Ray Bourque. Murphy and Leetch are the only two to hit 70.

Makar is playing at a 72 point pace and will hit 67 points if he plays in all of the Avs remaining games and continues his pace. It is incredibly rare for a defenseman to step into the league as a rookie and immediately have this much success. His performance is drastically better than what should be expected of a top draft pick.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Are there any plans to address the ‘hidden threads’ phenomenon when an ignored user starts a thread? Until then, the ignore feature has limited value.

If you chose to ignore someone, shouldn't that include the threads that they start too?

I could see GDTs being an exception to this since there should only be one and they are the bread and butter of this site, but the rest seems obvious.

Anyhow, vote Perron.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If you chose to ignore someone, shouldn't that include the threads that they start too?

I could see GDTs being an exception to this since there should only be one and they are the bread and butter of this site, but the rest seems obvious.

Anyhow, vote Perron.
I am interested in the thoughts and comments of all the users I’m not ignoring. But much if that is hidden, depending who started the thread. As you well know, the topics of threads around here tend to wander a bit. Why should I have to sacrifice that to ignore a single user?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Last votes from me. :bb:

and now watch afterwards last night game. :)

upload_2020-1-10_14-43-45.png

Reactions: MissouriMook

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Makar and Perron got screwed by Hellebuyck making it over Bishop and thus forcing an undeserving Seguin on the roster. The Stars have only 1 deserving all-star and he didn't make the team.

Just based on roster construction, Makar should make it as the 3rd D.

But Bishop, Hellebuyck and Binnington are 1-2-3 in the Vezina race right now...so the more likely option would have resulted in leaving Binnington off the roster. Which, if it came down to it, I'd have been ok with that. Perron being an All-Star would be a better story than Binner being one.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
But Bishop, Hellebuyck and Binnington are 1-2-3 in the Vezina race right now...so the more likely option would have resulted in leaving Binnington off the roster. Which, if it came down to it, I'd have been ok with that. Perron being an All-Star would be a better story than Binner being one.
Bishop should be the starter, flip a coin between Binnington and Hellebuyck, and both Perron and Makar make the team. That's how I would do it. The biased Blues fan in me picks Binnington.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I have never voted for any of these fan votes for any sport. I have voted every day but it will most likely be the biggest name in each division, I would guess the mojority of people voting in this is kids (A lot of them) and Die hards (Not so much).

My guess it will be these

Toronto Maple Leafs: Mitch Marner (F) - Big name big fan base
Chicago Blackhawks: Jonathan Toews (F) - Big name big fan base
Philadelphia Flyers: Claude Giroux (F) - Big name big fan base
Calgary Flames: Johnny Gaudreau (F) - Big name big fan base

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Last day to vote. If you need any more motivation that this man deserves a home-town ovation during the all star game, read his comments about choosing St. Louis in a recent Q and A.

On choosing St. Louis as a free agent: "I knew that there wouldn’t be a more special place to win, and now that we’ve done it, I’m really happy that I made those decisions. I definitely had other opportunities and some with more money, honestly, but the fit was a big part."

On what the Blue Note means to him: "It means everything. It means a chance to play in the NHL...The Blue Note, again, means an opportunity for me to play in the NHL. They drafted me and put in a lot of time with me. I did the same thing, so it means a lot."

The guy took a hometown discount as a UFA to return to a team that exposed him in the expansion draft a year earlier. Perron loves this team and city. Show how much we love him back.

Q&A with David Perron: Wearing the Blue Note, being exposed...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad