Last Golden Age of Finnish hockey vs projected soon-to-be Golden Age of Finland

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Mikael Granlund is almost PPG player at the AHL. League which superstars rarely get to try their hands on but Granlund made an exception...
Have any more straw men in store? Because nobody's called Granlund a "superstar". All that's been done is draw comparisons to Koivu, who, objectively, was not exactly a superstar either. At the age of 23, Granlund is and Koivu was a solid top-six player in the league, good additions to any team, while neither screamed "generational talent". Ask the Habs fans, if you don't believe me.

To even start discussing golden generation you need players like Koivu and Selänne. Pure offensive skills combined with the technical skill, very much including skating. At elite level.
Previous "golden" generation had exactly one. Teemu Selänne. And as of right now, the current generation has exactly one. Aleksander Barkov. So in that sense, the numbers are even.

What comes to the rest, we have a Koivu comparable in Mikael Granlund (and potentially another in Teräväinen) - small, not very physical and loaded with offensive skill. Then we have a Kimmo Timonen comparable in Olli Määttä (and Sami Vatanen) and Sami Salo comparable in Rasmus Ristolainen.

Besides them, this current generation seems to have a crapton more of Olli Jokinens, Sami Kapanens and Ville Peltonens when compared to those produced in the 90s. And that's not even touching all the Niko Kapanen and Niklas Hagman comparables. Therefore it IS a more promising generation because the pool is way wider and deeper. And it's becoming seriously :laugh:able that you just refuse to grasp this such a simple concept. What exactly are you trying here? Going for the "thickest hfboarder" award?

Last edited:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
What Montreal fans should I ask about Koivu? The same youngsters who weren't even born then like you? He went from dominating the best league in Europe to have 56 points in 50 games in his injury-struck second season.

You then didn't 'see' anything special in Koivu's physical and technical attributes. Take for example skating which was top of the class.

But I still don't know what benefit it has to anyone to compare completely different eras. I would rather find more about what kind of players does the Finnish system produce these days. Are they given the tools to compete with the best of these days, to claim their place in the NHL elite. Anything else is a disgrace to the legacy of the golden generation.

It just isn't a wonderful recovery and clear sign of the golden players to come if an individual from Finland has impact of 40 points a season. There has to be guys who can be mentioned on the best NHL LW's list. Or it just isn't a very golden generation.

How is Sweden so far ahead in both numbers and peak talent...

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What Montreal fans should I ask about Koivu? The same youngsters who weren't even born then like you? He went from dominating the best league in Europe to have 56 points in 50 games in his injury-struck second season.
Saku Koivu IS the reason I got into hockey in the first place. He was by and far my favorite athlete when I grew up from a snot-nosed brat into a lanky teen and beyond. Somehow I never dug Teemu that much. The small guy and how he always found the way to beat the odds was far more compelling.

But now that I'm all grown up and then some, I can certainly evaluate his value from a more neutral standpoint. He was and still is a neat role model. But among the best in the world, he's still nothing truly special, even if all those newspaper clippings from my youth would tell me otherwise. Yeah, for us Finns he was quite special. But did he make same kind of headlines overseas? Rarely.

Guess our main difference is that I can keep all the fond memories separate from objective evaluation, whereas you can't.

But I still don't know what benefit it has to anyone to compare completely different eras. I would rather find more about what kind of players does the Finnish system produce these days. Are they given the tools to compete with the best of these days, to claim their place in the NHL elite. Anything else is a disgrace to the legacy of the golden generation.
And how many elite talents did that "now-disgraced" golden generation produce exactly? I mean the kind that don't have a younger comparable these days? Selänne... then there's Lehtinen, whose two-way skillset may be unanswered as of now and even if I give you Koivu... that's still just three players. So, three guys with no modern comparables is your superior generation? Especially since the modern-day ratio to slightly (but not much) lesser players is still about 2:1.

It just isn't a wonderful recovery and clear sign of the golden players to come if an individual from Finland has impact of 40 points a season. There has to be guys who can be mentioned on the best NHL LW's list. Or it just isn't a very golden generation.
And did the previous "golden" generation have it any better, with one guy you could mention on the "NHL's best RWs" list? No Finnish centres on those lists. No left wings. No defensemen. One or two goalies, yeah. But those we have these days too. In greater numbers, to boot.

And even if this generation does not see a crapton of guys rise above the 0.5PPG hallmark, it's still going to be a better generation if there'll be more of them. As long as the NT is concerned, at least (which is the point of this thread, please read the title).

The very best NT of our "golden" generation was made up of one superstar who could reach the 80-100 point range on his heyday. Then we had a pair of guys who regularly got into close 80s. One elite two-way talent. Then we had 6-7 middling 0.5PPG guys and the rest were fringe NHLers and eurostars. And oh, elite goalies.

Even if the very best NT of our upcoming generation lacks genuine superstars (save for Barkov), but has elite goalies, and around 20 guys who are in the 40-50p per season range, that still means we at least have no extensive use for the fringes and eurostars. I give that kind of team far better chances to win something than I give the one described above, and consider us to be better off in the future than the past. Especially since said past generation has already shown us all they can win. I love those guys to death, but sometimes it did feel like a genuinely masochistic affair regardless.

However, does this all mean that we should just be happy with what we've got now and can't aspire to get even higher? Well, of course not. But we're in an improved situation even as things stand. And since it's an ongoing process, who knows where we'll be, given enough time? Which means btw that you're messing up a perfectly good thread by taking it off-topic with your grumpy old-timer yapping, gramps.

Last edited by a moderator:

perstakli

Jan 21, 2015
What by the way exactly makes Finnish hockey suddenly so good at bringing upi far superior individuals like you hype them? Focus on goalie coaching was quite easily explained hence why all the goalkeepers. What has changed?

I can think of one thing that happened in the mid-90s - when these players were getting made or putting their skates on for the first time - that changed resouces/attitudes/opportunities in/towards hockey quite a bit, and I'd imagine that would then contribute towards bigger player pools and better coaching etc.

The amount of (licensed) players at least increased (almost doubled!) through the 90s, according to SJL - with a huge bump around '95..

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
No time nor patience to read previous posts but I do see the future of Finnish hockey very bright indeed. In fact so bright that the label the Next Golden Age is warranted.

Thus, in five years the power rankings should be as follows:

1) Canada
2) Finland
3) USA
4) Sweden
5) Russia
the scrubs

Orvelo

Jul 3, 2015
No time nor patience to read previous posts but I do see the future of Finnish hockey very bright indeed. In fact so bright that the label the Next Golden Age is warranted.

Thus, in five years the power rankings should be as follows:

1) Canada
2) Finland
3) USA
4) Sweden
5) Russia
the scrubs

Maybe like this
1) Canada
2)Sweden
3)USA
4) Russia
5)Finland

Last edited:

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
It's very exciting to follow all these new young faces in finnish hockey. In my opinion the future of finnish hockey is looking very good.

There are so many good prospects coming and also players who are already playing in NHL, that i really don't know where all that tulipunaruusu's negativity is coming from.

I was little bit worried few years ago, when Finland wasn't producing any new talents. But the situation has changed dramatically. Those erikfromfin's rosters at page 1 made it look like we are also going to have the much needed depth in our squad. I also noticed that even in the team C, there was couple names, who have NHL potential in my opinion.

I know it's very stupid to predict and especially so far ahead, but at this moment it seems that in 2022 Olympics, Finland is going to have one hell of a team. If the NHL players are playing, of course.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
So... AHL Nation? >_<

Both Kapanen and Rantanen are down and join a mixed bunch of guys. Some who should have their NHL career going already, some who will never make it and some who will make it over time..

Eetu Laurikainen
Christopher Gibson
Rasmus Tirronen
Rasmus Rissanen
Petteri Lindbohm
Michael Keränen
Markus Hännikäinen
Joel Armia
Juuse Saros
Kristian Näkyvä
Miikka Salomäki
Ville Pokka
Karri Rämö
Markus Granlund
Henri Ikonen
Julius Honka
Esa Lindell

Long list even though the AHL seldom works for european skaters...

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
^From that list, I see roughly five names whose cases truly seem hopeless. The rest are about at the stage one could still reasonably expect them to be given their age and general prospect value.

Others are also victims of the organization having too much depth ahead of them, even if they could be otherwise ready. You can for example fully expect MaG to be a full-time NHLer next season when his waiver exemption runs out. Same will eventually go for Lindbohm.

Armia is pretty much a Pulkkinen now. Exactly as old as Pulu was last year, and if he can nail it with a strong season in the AHL, he has a job in the show waiting for him the next one. If he can't, then he'll likely becomes a warning example of being a highly-touted prospect not meaning they're just going to hand you the moon.

The rest are either younger still and on lower status or off-the-board signings, meaning their spot in the show right now would be closer to a pleasant surprise. While not a strict one, a good rule of thumb is that players born in 1992 and earlier should be in the league by now. Any younger is not on borrowed time yet... while it could have gone better for some too.

Although, even if you can't write 'em off, there are some hopefuls who might be better off making themselves some name in Europe before taking the lunge. As the recent examples of Donskoi and Kemppainen have displayed, it's not impossible to claim a spot directly from overseas.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Although, even if you can't write 'em off, there are some hopefuls who might be better off making themselves some name in Europe before taking the lunge. As the recent examples of Donskoi and Kemppainen have displayed, it's not impossible to claim a spot directly from overseas.

From finnish and swedish skaters, that route seems to be MUCH more effective

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
From finnish and swedish skaters, that route seems to be MUCH more effective
Especially for an "older" player. Komarov is another good example.

Then again, it might just literally seem that way. For every succeeding case, we also have a fair number of those who will try it after extensive time in Europe, thinking they're ready, and still never really get further than the farm.

In the end, it seems to be a factor of two things: The player himself must be good enough and show that over the camp, and - perhaps more importantly - he must pick the organization he signs with carefully. In some, it's just plain impossible to climb above the established talent, no matter how good one is.

Similarly with a younger player, the organization that drafts him will have an effect on how quickly one makes it, or whether he makes it at all.

Last edited:

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
My guess is that Rämö, Saros, Armia, MaG, Pokka, Lindbohm, Honka and Lindell are the strongest options to make to the NHL and stay there in let's say two years?

Salomäki, Ikonen and Hännikäinen also has a chance in my books.

Can someone who knows better, tell something or make some kind of prediction about the future of these guys?

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
Salomäki should be there already... I am not sure he is getting the shot he deserves.
I think that this year is crucial for Salomäki. As it is for Armia also.

If they don't succeed this season, then they might have to come back to Europe and try the Lehterä/Komarov route IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad