Last Concert You Saw and Rate It

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Overall 9/10

It was me, my son, and my daughter. We had front row, a bit off to the right of center stage (facing the stage,,,)

It was a Swedish Invasion.

Grand Magus -- 7.75/10 They opened the show with a 25 minute set. I'd never heard of them, even though they apparently have 9 or more albums. They impressed me and my kids. I bought a CD.

At The Gates -- 5.75/10 Never heard of them either, but they have 6 albums. They just weren't that good. It was only a 35 minute set, so it wasn't too bad. I caught a drum stick. They didn't hang at the merch booth, so I didn't get it signed.

Arch Enemy -- 10/10 I don't give a 10/10 rating too often, but they f***ing melted our faces in a 50 minute set. Say whatever you want about Alissa, but she rocked the hell out of that place (Lauren Hart of Once Human is still better, and finer). I caught a guitar pick from Michael Arnott.

Amon Amarth -- 9/10 Their set, with encores, was right around 75 minutes. Very entertaining, even if the show might have been a bit over the top with the whole Viking theme. Fun. They had vikings come out at various times to add to the entertainment. They had a battle on stage with real swords (I mean, they wouldn't last in battle, but they cut the hell out of those wooden shields. They could do real damage to a body...) and (bogus, plywood) shields. Went at it pretty good, too. Chunks of the shields were flying about. I got a 3" x 2" triangular chunk of shield to keep. Olavi Mikkonen is pretty damn good on that guitar. I caught a pick from him, too.

My kids both got picks from Arch Enemy and Amon Amarth, too. (We're pretty aggressive about snagging airborne souvenirs...)

Reactions: Ozz

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Black Label Society / The Black Dahlia Murder / Alien Weaponry

Flew across the country to see this one w/my best friend because they didn't hit my market. Did the VIP thing, got some personal videos from Zakk to my little boy (done that in the past, we did it again, he's too cool) and some other cool stuff went on.

If I'm being picky, I'll give it a 9/10. Can't imagine how it would have been better either, aside from the sound for 15-20 min. I was up at the rail so that likely impacted it, though through the night my ears got tuned and I could hear better.

BLS and TBDM are 2 of my favorite bands, and Zakk is my favorite act behind only Ozzy, so I'll never complain. I've seen them both so many times that it's not even about seeing something different than the experience of just being there because of what they mean to me. That said, BLS played 2 hours and Dahlia seemed short at 30min. Ten more minutes for them would have been great, but they crammed as much as they could into it. BLS had a few fresh things throughout the night too, and this was the first time I've seen the rhythm guitarist follow Zakk into the crowd for the 10-15min. solo extravaganza.

Alien Weaponry wasn't bad, but I didn't really get into them. As a 3-piece they sounded thin, but the crow seemed to like 'em a lot. That's good! They had good energy and I realize they're only 17-18 years old so more power to them. Their New Zealand war dance or whatever-inspired stuff was neat. Nothing I can relate to, but I can dig the pride and passion.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Black Label Society / The Black Dahlia Murder / Alien Weaponry

Flew across the country to see this one w/my best friend because they didn't hit my market. Did the VIP thing, got some personal videos from Zakk to my little boy (done that in the past, we did it again, he's too cool) and some other cool stuff went on.

If I'm being picky, I'll give it a 9/10. Can't imagine how it would have been better either, aside from the sound for 15-20 min. I was up at the rail so that likely impacted it, though through the night my ears got tuned and I could hear better.

BLS and TBDM are 2 of my favorite bands, and Zakk is my favorite act behind only Ozzy, so I'll never complain. I've seen them both so many times that it's not even about seeing something different than the experience of just being there because of what they mean to me. That said, BLS played 2 hours and Dahlia seemed short at 30min. Ten more minutes for them would have been great, but they crammed as much as they could into it. BLS had a few fresh things throughout the night too, and this was the first time I've seen the rhythm guitarist follow Zakk into the crowd for the 10-15min. solo extravaganza.

Alien Weaponry wasn't bad, but I didn't really get into them. As a 3-piece they sounded thin, but the crow seemed to like 'em a lot. That's good! They had good energy and I realize they're only 17-18 years old so more power to them. Their New Zealand war dance or whatever-inspired stuff was neat. Nothing I can relate to, but I can dig the pride and passion.

BLS is awesome!

Reactions: Ozz

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Couple of shows that I’ve seen in Moncton over the last month or so

The Standstills -
3/10
Nickelback - 10/10
Dear Rouge - 7/10
Live - 6/10
Bush - 9/10
Our Lady Peace - 9/10

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Saw Golden Earring last, it was an electric show. Always good but would have preferred some other songs.

Last edited:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Grand Magus -- 7.75/10 They opened the show with a 25 minute set. I'd never heard of them, even though they apparently have 9 or more albums. They impressed me and my kids. I bought a CD.
They are currently my favorite band, along with Sabaton. A perfect blend of Black Sabbath and Manowar. They had a string of masterpiece albums that very bands could put together. Starting from their third release, "Wolf's Return" (2005), "Iron Will" (2008), "Hammer of the North" (2010), "The Hunt" (2012), and "Triumph and Power" (2014), are all superb. The title track to "Iron Will" is among the greatest metal anthems ever.[/QUOTE]

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals perform "A Vulgar Display of Pantera"

Phil's current band is on tour w/Slayer, doing a Pantera-tribute set. This was their first headlining date on an off day from the tour, and they happened to play with one of my favorite bands & friends, Battlecross.

Battlecross was awesome as always. They do a cover of F'n Hostile and the singer got to come out to sing it w/Phil later on. They've toured together a couple times over the years and have done this before, but it's the first time I got to see it.

Phil & The Illegals were perfect as could be. While it obviously "wasn't" Pantera and the feel of Dime's playing wasn't exactly there, it was tremendous. The POWER of those songs and the crowd was something I haven't felt in a long time. Just crazy. The drummer on the other hand had a damn near perfect "Vinnie groove". The mix & sound were perfect.

I've seen Pantera live a few times and was on the fence about this just in case it wasn't great, but I absolutely loved it.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Lita Ford -- 6.1/10

Some folks still have it at 61 years of age, and can still perform at or near the top of their game.

Unfortunately, Lita does not fall into that category.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So on Saturday I went to the WFC (After hauling ass to get from the Sabres-Isles game that afternoon to get the 6pm bus to Philly) to see The Misfits. Paid $66 to get in (a box office ticket no less) and seeing the stupid prices being charged I was really cynical going in thinking it was going to be a crappy cash grab, and seeing $40 t shirts for sale certainly didn't change my perception. I decided to go because it might be the only chance I ever get to see them. The opening act was Agnostic Front, and honestly I was as excited to see them as I was The Misfits. They were awesome. The semi act was the Dropkick Murphys. They were really good and I enjoyed it but the fact that they played nothing off their first two albums (which I absolutely loved) and just stuff from when they basically became a Pogues tribute act was disappointing (if they had just played Barroom Hero or Skinhead on the MTA it would've made my night). Then The Misfits hit the stage. What followed was probably the two most fun hours I have ever had at a concert. Was everything crisp and tight? Nope, but that was never The Misfits. It was just song after song of all the stuff I would listen to in my room in high school (the CD box set was probably my favorite Christmas gift ever) and I loved every second of it. Show ended around 12:40am and frankly they could've played for another two hours and I never would've gotten tired. If you do get a chance to see them I'd say pay the big ticket price because it was worth every single penny.
20191214_230631_Burst01.jpg

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
EOB 10/10 EOB is Radiohead rhythm guitarist Ed O'rien solo project and this was his first solo concert ever (according to him). The emphasis was on texture and ensemble as O'Brien constructed one beautiful, compulsively fascinating song after another. I couldn't have asked for more. Can't wait for his album.

Venue: The Great Hall, Oueen Street, Toronto

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
Lita Ford -- 6.1/10
Some folks still have it at 61 years of age..

Hard to believe she's still out there performing.. A childhood acquaintance had his whole bedroom decorated in metal posters & magazine cut-outs. I still remember his poster(s) of a guitar weilding Lita, in a bikini & heels (or something close). Never would've expected her still be in the game 30+ years later. Back in the 80s, bands hadn't really started with the long term reunions yet. Guess, now it's not unusual for a band or pop star to record/tour 40 years.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Iron Maiden x2: 9/10
Dream Theater: 9.5/10 (Petrucci is the best guitarist that ever lived)
Volbeat x6: 9.75/10 (one of the best around)
In Flames x2: 9/10
Motörhead x4: 9.5/10
Killswitch Engage (with Howard Jones): 9.75/10
Five Finger Death Punch: 8.75/10
HIM: 9/10
Avenged Sevenfold: 9.5/10
All That Remains: 8.75/10
Bullet For My Valentine: 8.75/10

Non heavy stuff:

Elton John: 10/10 - Absolutely perfect, nothing compares to this for me.
Alan Jackson: 9/10
Blake Shelton: 7.5/10
Dierks Bentley: 9/10
Thomas Rhett: 9/10
Tim McGraw: 9/10
Billy Currington; 9/10

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Saw Mr. Bungle on Monday. My favorite band, saw them twice 20 years+ ago. This reunion was an obvious thrill-ride for them, probably a little less for the fans hoping to find a true Bungle show, but I've seen Patton live like 12 times so I didn't mind the antics and return to basics. 90% death/trash metal, far from the complexity of their later work (they went straight up drum-bass-guitars), but the Patton-Spruance reunion was worth being there (Dunn was always around), Lombardo and Scott Ian were just bonus to that specific direction. I hope that if they record something with that lineup, Spruance will keep them from going full-metal and that it will sound more like a continuity of their previous work than a return to their teen years. Still, wouldn't have missed it. 9/10

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->