Books: Last Book You Read and Rate It

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Damn, makes me want to check it out. I'm a fan of Mexican art in general, although I've never delved into the literature. ^

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1937) - A short novel about a diminutive but street-smart man named George and his partner in crime, Lennie, who has superhuman strength but is mentally-disabled and who also likes to pet soft things, particularly animals, such as rabbits, puppys and mices, although he often unwittingly kills them due to this strength. The story begins with the two arriving at a farm to begin work and hopefully stack up enough dough to buy their own little piece of land and be their own boss. The prose was fine and the story was touching at times - particularly the side characters's stories - but I disliked the fact that every character was an absolute - either completely good or completely bad - and the only one who didn't fit that mould (sorta) was Curley's wife, the wife of the main antagonist. The ending felt a bit too rushed as well for what Steinbeck built-up and I felt that rushness made it lose a lot of it's emotional impact despite the heavy act and theme. A bit too theatrical and grandiose for my taste as well. Still a breezy and fun read, though, especially in regards to racism. There's a particularly poignant scene regarding Curley's wife and Crooks, the African-American worker on the farm and just how easily African-Americans could be crushed by the word of a white person. It was the greatest passage of the story, and frankly, makes me kind of angry that people can still challenge the book due to it's language, as if they can't read into nuance and context. Makes me sad for these people's very low reading comprehension.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Montalbano’s First Case and Other Stories, by Andrea Camilleri

Montalbano’s First Case and Other Stories
is the first collection of short stories by Camilleri that I have read. About my favourite detective, Sicilian Police Inspector Salvo Montalbano, the collection is both generous and a delight. There are 21 short stories in all, a couple of them of novella length, and the entertainment quotient is through the roof in the vast majority of them. Highly recommended light summer reading of very high quality.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51xlBlLdhQL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finally got around to finishing this a few minutes ago. Took a week to read but from the outset I knew it was a book that needed my full attention, so I tried to read it in the days quietest moments - late at night on my couch with a lamp .

The book is a memoir about the writers life, & his struggles - from his childhood, and teenage years, his love of rock music, starting a band, and his family.

The book is mostly based around the rocky relationship with his father, and the overwhelming grief he felt after his death.

The writing is flawless. There is not much of a plot, per se, but the author writes so hypnotically , and honestly , that you feel the publishers were right in saying it feels his life was at stake when writing this book. I felt for him every step of the way. I haven't read anything like it before.

Beautiful ending, too. The last lines were hair raising .

Would recommend.

9.5/10

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Are you going to read book 2?

Yes. I think I'll keep going , but as good as the first one was, I don't know if I want to read 3,600 pages of it. But I'll read the next one & go from there . I'll wait until later in the year to read the next .

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Funny how a book named with two words, "min kamp" (in Norwegian), can be translated to "my struggle". Struggle not really meaning the same as "kamp". Same with Hitler´s book. Kamp/kampf is just as much a battle as a struggle.

Probably not important for the overall translation, but I find it interesting/funny that what should be a fairly basic and straight forward translation doesn´t work more than 80% at best.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson (1998) - Knocked this one out a couple of days ago. Started in '59 but finished in '98, this novel was an excellent read. Delving wonderfully into the fear of being washed-up and having seen life pass you by, Thompson writes in an inspired manner about fear all the while offering an enthralling and often hilarious read about unhinged characters living in sunny San Juan, Puerto Rico. Certain tired tropes appear - the lonely main character finally getting the wild and free-spirited girl, etc. - but the story stays engaging. Hunter S. Thompson also had a knack for knowing how to finish off a chapter and his musings on luck and a man's prime were exquisite.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yes. I think I'll keep going , but as good as the first one was, I don't know if I want to read 3,600 pages of it. But I'll read the next one & go from there . I'll wait until later in the year to read the next .

That seems crazy to me. I have no idea how one man could write about his life for 3,600 pages and not eventually have it feel very tired and trite.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've never posted about The Great Gatsby on here. The most famous work of my favourite writer, and nothing. I checked, I would have re-read it when I first went through his novels which I all wrote about, so I don't know how that happened. Here we are today though, nothing read in a while and I get the idea that it'll be a nice thing to ease myself back in with.

So, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is about a man called Gatsby who, after his girlfriend leaves him, decides to become unfeasibly wealthy so as to be irresistible to her. As I'm writing it occurs to me how near enough everyone in the English speaking world must have read this book or be familiar with its basic sentiment. There's one of those funny facebook conversations you usually see passed around the internet where someone posts a status about being fed-up with people posting about going to see the 2013 adaptation at the pictures, that they're not special and everyone read it in high school, only for someone to comment with its opening line which goes unrecognised. And I'm sure that ignorance like that is more widespread than I'd like to believe or could ever be properly aware of, but I think the ubiquity of the book is important to properly judge its merits and its cultural impact and insight. At a time when there's an HF thread pondering who we'll remember 400 years from now it's interesting to consider that the themes of American excess (and it is a strictly American excess depicted here) here are a hundred years old yet still considered integral to the public perception of America as a concept never mind a country.

Anyway. Here we see what reading Fitzgerald does to me, it fills my brain with delusions of aspiration my tongue (or hands) can never hope to match, or at least a desire for eloquence that can never quite be as fluid or impressive as it seems in my head. I'm sure I've posted before that when I read Fitzgerald I get about three pages in and immediately wonder why I or anyone would ever read anything else, so for a book which contains what Fitzgerald himself called unquestionably his best work, it's perhaps not surprising it has this effect on such a well-declared fanboy. It's like reading caramel. The one thing above all else I always took from Fitzgerald's short stories was his ability to expose every facet of the human condition regardless of the individual's personal circumstances. To do this goes beyond simply writing "rich people have problems too" and enters an almost ephemeral state, where descriptions of the atmosphere of a place or the air or the weather or the look on someone's face for a split-second is done with such perfectly-judged transience you read it and know the exact state which is being described, while realising that you've been aware of such a thing your entire life but never truly known it, and that no-one else could describe it as accurately as the words you've written just have. To manage this while writing about something as vacuous as high society life in the 1920s goes beyond the mark of genius, frankly. I'm just glad I can have Sam Waterstone narrating it all in my head.

For a subject so sprawling and so timeless I'm always surprised by how short this book is. The basic events of the story aren't even all that remarkable and aren't so different from one of his short stories. Cut out the backstory between Gatsby and Daisy and it very well could have been, often was in fact in various guises. I think the deceptive simplicity of such a concise story belies the themes and social critiques at play, although it doesn't undermine him. Due to Fitzgerald's ability with prose there's never a sense of you wanting more as a reader or as a learner about the period or the themes themselves. There's always just enough and there's always just that little bit more you'd like, the idealised dream Gatsby sees in the light at the end of the porch. To consider any of the plot or themes here is to waste your time when you could read the book in three or four hours and get a much more worthwhile experience, so I won't go into any of them in any more detail than I already have. The one other bit of praise I can offer here is the voice of the narrator, Nick Carraway, who manages to be impartial yet suitably representative of the reader in his apparent mixture of disdain and bemusement at the people he deals with throughout the book. There are plenty of explanations and justifications you can offer for the actions of the people involved but really, Carraway is a passenger in the story as much as the reader is, and his attitude throughout reflects this. What a shame the most recent adaptation of this described to go in completely the opposite direction and miss the point entirely.

The one last thing I'll add is that in my first year of university one of my assignments was a reading diary where over the ten weeks of the term we had to do an entry on a book or something we'd read. It wasn't to be written in a strictly formal sense. I was so enthused with the prospect I included stuff like songs and video games and it took about five years for me to take the concept seriously by writing out nonsense posts like these. I wrote about Gatsby one week, and the guy who marked it said it was a high school level book and I should read more complex things. I'm glad I'm now of the age and self-assuredness level to know this is complete arse.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (1963) - It was a fine and enjoyable read but I don't think it reaches the heights of Slaughterhouse-Five and Breakfast of Champions, in particular. I felt it lacked the playful humor of the two books even though Vonnegut seemed to be going for it just as much here as well. There were some inspired moments and Vonnegut's wit is always delightful to read but I think the story was a bit too all over-the-map and that Vonnegut's stated goal and interest - Hiroshima - were kind of put aside for an adventure on an exotic island without him even realizing it. Just ended up feeling a bit too oblivious and incoherent. Still, I love his prose and charm. A very warm writer. His musings on religion were interesting and amusing as well.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Building the Orange Wave: The Inside Story of the Historic Rise of Jack Layton and the NDP - Brad Lavigne

300 pages, but a really quick read (started and finished in a day). Lavigne is a really compelling writer, made easier by his personal relation to the story (he was the NDP campaign manager in 2011). The book starts with Layton's election as leader of the party in 2002 and goes until his death. It gets heavy and personal and emotional at the end. It's a really terrific inside scoop on the sudden orange crush, and how it was years in the making.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
1933 Was a Bad Year (1985) by John Fante - As a Charles Bukowski fan, I had heard of his championing of John Fante's work but had never gone out of my way to read Fante's work. I stumbled upon this short novel at a bookstore and decided to give it a shot. I have no regrets at the book is both touching and hilarious and Fante's prose is masterlike and the influence he's had on Bukowski is flagrant and in a good way. Recounting the story of Dominic Molise, a high-school senior who's unpopular but is blessed with an arm for baseball - whether this is true or Molise's own hype job is never made certain, but it leads towards the former - and how he deals with a life in poverty and his dream of playing Major League Baseball and getting ****rich. The prose is gorgeously poetic without feeling flowery - kinda like Buk's at times as well - and Fante navigates humourously between the harsh home he grows up in and offers a sweetly innoncent of a kid who means no harm and the people around him - who also mean no harm and are just stumbling through life as he is. The story is rather coming-of-age which isn't particularly up my alley but the storytelling and narrative sense is strong and feels seamless. While not as crass as Bukowski, the perverted humor adds a lot to the charm of the book.

Last edited:

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I've never posted about The Great Gatsby on here. The most famous work of my favourite writer, and nothing. I checked, I would have re-read it when I first went through his novels which I all wrote about, so I don't know how that happened. Here we are today though, nothing read in a while and I get the idea that it'll be a nice thing to ease myself back in with.

So, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is about a man called Gatsby who, after his girlfriend leaves him, decides to become unfeasibly wealthy so as to be irresistible to her. As I'm writing it occurs to me how near enough everyone in the English speaking world must have read this book or be familiar with its basic sentiment. There's one of those funny facebook conversations you usually see passed around the internet where someone posts a status about being fed-up with people posting about going to see the 2013 adaptation at the pictures, that they're not special and everyone read it in high school, only for someone to comment with its opening line which goes unrecognised. And I'm sure that ignorance like that is more widespread than I'd like to believe or could ever be properly aware of, but I think the ubiquity of the book is important to properly judge its merits and its cultural impact and insight. At a time when there's an HF thread pondering who we'll remember 400 years from now it's interesting to consider that the themes of American excess (and it is a strictly American excess depicted here) here are a hundred years old yet still considered integral to the public perception of America as a concept never mind a country.

Anyway. Here we see what reading Fitzgerald does to me, it fills my brain with delusions of aspiration my tongue (or hands) can never hope to match, or at least a desire for eloquence that can never quite be as fluid or impressive as it seems in my head. I'm sure I've posted before that when I read Fitzgerald I get about three pages in and immediately wonder why I or anyone would ever read anything else, so for a book which contains what Fitzgerald himself called unquestionably his best work, it's perhaps not surprising it has this effect on such a well-declared fanboy. It's like reading caramel. The one thing above all else I always took from Fitzgerald's short stories was his ability to expose every facet of the human condition regardless of the individual's personal circumstances. To do this goes beyond simply writing "rich people have problems too" and enters an almost ephemeral state, where descriptions of the atmosphere of a place or the air or the weather or the look on someone's face for a split-second is done with such perfectly-judged transience you read it and know the exact state which is being described, while realising that you've been aware of such a thing your entire life but never truly known it, and that no-one else could describe it as accurately as the words you've written just have. To manage this while writing about something as vacuous as high society life in the 1920s goes beyond the mark of genius, frankly. I'm just glad I can have Sam Waterstone narrating it all in my head.

For a subject so sprawling and so timeless I'm always surprised by how short this book is. The basic events of the story aren't even all that remarkable and aren't so different from one of his short stories. Cut out the backstory between Gatsby and Daisy and it very well could have been, often was in fact in various guises. I think the deceptive simplicity of such a concise story belies the themes and social critiques at play, although it doesn't undermine him. Due to Fitzgerald's ability with prose there's never a sense of you wanting more as a reader or as a learner about the period or the themes themselves. There's always just enough and there's always just that little bit more you'd like, the idealised dream Gatsby sees in the light at the end of the porch. To consider any of the plot or themes here is to waste your time when you could read the book in three or four hours and get a much more worthwhile experience, so I won't go into any of them in any more detail than I already have. The one other bit of praise I can offer here is the voice of the narrator, Nick Carraway, who manages to be impartial yet suitably representative of the reader in his apparent mixture of disdain and bemusement at the people he deals with throughout the book. There are plenty of explanations and justifications you can offer for the actions of the people involved but really, Carraway is a passenger in the story as much as the reader is, and his attitude throughout reflects this. What a shame the most recent adaptation of this described to go in completely the opposite direction and miss the point entirely.

The one last thing I'll add is that in my first year of university one of my assignments was a reading diary where over the ten weeks of the term we had to do an entry on a book or something we'd read. It wasn't to be written in a strictly formal sense. I was so enthused with the prospect I included stuff like songs and video games and it took about five years for me to take the concept seriously by writing out nonsense posts like these. I wrote about Gatsby one week, and the guy who marked it said it was a high school level book and I should read more complex things. I'm glad I'm now of the age and self-assuredness level to know this is complete arse.

A very nice write-up that I enjoyed reading. I think Gatsby, without a doubt, is a book that deserves all of the praise it gets and more some.

My personal favourite part—to me, the most brilliant bit of the book—is Fitzgerald's metaphor revolving around driving. You're only in trouble if two bad drivers meet. Some day people may not drive, be chauffeured, whatever; but that metaphor will still ring true.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (1963) - It was a fine and enjoyable read but I don't think it reaches the heights of Slaughterhouse-Five and Breakfast of Champions, in particular. I felt it lacked the playful humor of the two books even though Vonnegut seemed to be going for it just as much here as well. There were some inspired moments and Vonnegut's wit is always delightful to read but I think the story was a bit too all over-the-map and that Vonnegut's stated goal and interest - Hiroshima - were kind of put aside for an adventure on an exotic island without him even realizing it. Just ended up feeling a bit too oblivious and incoherent. Still, I love his prose and charm. A very warm writer. His musings on religion were interesting and amusing as well.

I had to read Cat's Cradle for a class recently and I despised it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've read Blood Meridian again, and I think I know more about it than I did the last time. Although I've not read everything by McCarthy yet I've read enough to know that there's a strange pattern to them from Blood Meridian (1985) onwards, in terms of the style and the content. Blood Meridian is the first of his Westerns and was followed by the Border Trilogy novels, released throughout the 90s. They're all set in the same place, are ostensibly about the same kind of characters and are somewhat similar in terms of the philosophical and religious musings littered throughout. The main difference is the amount and detail of the violence depicted in them. I don't want to dwell too much on the violence of Blood Meridian, though I will touch on it later.

I say it's strange reading these books with similar settings in the order they were written and published (and you could include No Country for Old Men in that sequence too) because Blood Meridian feels like a more advanced exploration of the setting and themes. The Border novels are much more recognisable as straightforward westerns, with sympathetic protagonists and somewhat definable purposes and motivations. The writing is more straightforward too. The short, distinctive sentences are still there but in Blood Meridian they feel a bit more obscure, maybe there's less recognisable words in them or there's greater frequency of sentences that last a page. It's not so much that the Border novels feel dumbed-down in terms of their style or that the overall quality is diminished, but if I was to recommend them to someone who's never read McCarthy I'd go for the Border novels first. Certainly now for me, being much more familiar with McCarthy Blood Meridian is a lot less monolithic than I remember it being. I think any of the complexity in the language contributes to a book's reputation as being 'good' or 'difficult' but even though that's punctured to an extent now because I know what to expect, I don't think it lessens the impact of the book as a whole.

Set on the US-Mexico border mainly in 1849-50, the story follows unnamed protagonist the kid as he enters a world of violence and debauchery. After some failing wanderings he joins up with a gang headed by John Glanton, a real life historical figure who was commissioned to go around the area collecting the scalps of Mexican and native tribes who were attacking American settlements. Such a party led by and comprising an assortment of violent, uneducated drunks ends up going about as well as you would expect, as they move on quickly from the warriors to scalping everyone they come across, usually after robbing and destroying their settlements.

Rather than the leader of the gang or the protagonist the most memorable character is Judge Holden, a huge, entirely hairless man who fulfills a recurring McCarthy trope of a seemingly impossibly eloquent and insightful infallible person among a cast of reactionary animals. The irony here gets cranked up several notches as Holden (as an aside, I'm struggling to remember why he's ever called a judge in the first place) proves to be infinitely more savage than anyone else in the book. The thing is though, where the rest of the book's violence can become so overbearing to the point of being unremarkable, Holden's actions exist in some other plane entirely and always seem worse, no matter how ridiculous or improbable. When the gang is stopped to camp for the night one of them tells a story of how Holden came to ride with Glanton, as he was waiting for them at the top of a ridge as Glanton and some of his men were running from some Apaches, none of them with any powder for their guns. Over the next day or so Holden concocted powder out of charcoal and urine, then beckoned the Apaches up making them think he was the only man left, before they were all slaughtered. It's ridiculous to read and it's ridiculous to write now, but as you read the book you get the same mixture of awe and fear the rest of the characters do. I'll say that's a mark of how well-crafted he is.

As enthralling as certain McCarthy passages and sentences can be, I'm going to pick one out that struck me this time around:

The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimera having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning.

The universe is no narrow thing and the order within it is not constrained by any latitude in its conception to repeat what exists in one part in any other part. Even in this world more things exist without our knowledge than with it and the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way. For existence has its own order and that no man's mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others.

Brown spat into the fire. That's some more of your craziness, he said.

The words of Brown there, just to juxtapose the coarseness of the ordinary with the absurdity of the remarkable. Part of the reason Holden is seen as some sort of manifestation of God (which in itself is another recurring feature of McCarthy, or if not strictly God then some agent of fate or ultimate irrevocable judgement) is because of how comprehensively he's able to catalogue and dominate the world he finds himself in. There's another passage somewhere where someone asks why he carried a book where he notes all the animals and plants he sees and he says it's because Man can only truly be in control of nature when he knows all of it, when there is no unknown left to threaten him. Yet with this, and the passage above, it's not the world itself that Glanton's gang is trying to assert control over, it's their fellow man. Yet when they have this seemingly infallible person with them, none of them are really at ease with him or follow his example. I think what sets Holden apart from the rest of the horrors in this book isn't the things he does as much as the things he doesn't do. The kid as a focal point for the reader's attention is slightly more sympathetic than the rest of the characters because he's never as indiscriminately violent as them, he only lashes out when he's provoked or forced. Holden straddles a similar line yet never seems to be in any such danger. He walks through the desert, naked and hairless, and even though you know he's not going to be killed or beaten or commit any act of violence without there being an explanation from him first the wariness comes from his unpredictability. I suppose the direct version of this paragraph is that Holden is a paradox, feared by his peers for his certainty and infallibility yet a figure of menace to the reader owing to that same certainty creating an unknowable outcome for any situation he finds himself in. Who could have thought for instance that he could make gunpowder out of **** and rocks?

I think most telling about Holden as a figure of some unknowable evil is actually ironically linked to the depiction of violence in the book. It's constant and unforgiving to the point of desensitisation. Scalping, beheading, rape, sodomy of corpses, child abuse, animal abuse, turd eating, vivid descriptions of injury and cruelty not seen since the Iliad, it's ~330 pages of this. Then at the end, as the kid is now the man, he meets Holden again after all the other gang members are killed or otherwise unaccounted for and they have a chat. Then, the last mention of the kid/man:

The judge was seated upon the closet. He was naked and he rose up smiling and gathered him in his arms against his immense and terrible flesh and shot the wooden barlatch home behind him.

This takes place in an outhouse of the bar the two men are at. This closing description of the kid is followed by two other men looking in, unable to describe or contemplate what they see. While this ending has prompted various Soprano-esque theories about what actually happened, it's not really necessary to know any of the details. It's not even necessary to consider it alongside the debauchery that Holden is depicted in engaging in the next, final page. A book which is so unrelentingly unapologetic in its treatment of violence and the base depravity of human nature ends with a confrontation between its two most developed and insightful characters which is beyond the description or contemplation of the people who witness it. Holden celebrates war as the ultimate expression of human creativity and individuality, every aspect of this is explored extensively as Holden and the men try to find some purpose in their lives through it, yet this is how the book ends. What then are we to think of this as a closing of the story that has passed? When I read and wrote about this the last time I had this to say:

Thinking about Blood Meridian and No Country For Old Men I think that the possibly pessimistic judgement of humanity by McCarthy isn't so much about humanity in general as in the individual. No Country For Old Men is about men in that there are several individuals in the story who do things, but they're as interesting individually as they are collectively. Part of this is down to their own motivations and actions but more is owing to them being part of distinct social structures yet retaining several unwavering core personal principles which are common among them. Blood Meridian exists in a similar manner. The people in the gangs that the kid encounters have their own distinct backstories, explained fully or otherwise, but they're all in the gang so they all do the same things because they've all ended up there together. That's all there is. Some individuals rise above this though. The chief antagonists of the book are Glanton and the judge and on the face of it Glanton should be the chief bad guy. He's the leader of the gang. He's unquestionably the most violent, the most indiscriminately violent. He kills people, he kills animals, he steals, he does everything. There is no other dimension to his character. He is a killer, he kills. The judge though, well. Maybe it's because he can speak sentences more than two lines long, but the way he tries to justify what he does is what sets him apart and makes him much, much scarier. Elsewhere you may feel the characters are just physical vessels of human nature acting out the only things they are capable of. The judge continually gives off the pretence of being enlightened enough to understand this. But then, he revels in it. He revels in his own actions and the actions of his contemporaries.

From what I've read of McCarthy I think this is what I take from him the most. He seems to have a very rigid view of what humanity is and does. Not only rigid, absolute. The way things are are the way they are because they exist. That's all there is. That's all he has to say. What he describes and tells stories of is just a snapshot of a world he knows and his probably interested in. In a book with depictions of violence as graphic as Blood Meridian though the inclusion of the judge, some recurring attempt to find justification in all of this is far more unnerving than any scalping or other violent act.
Aside from being mildly pleased that I can read an old review of mine on here and not cringe my way through the whole thing, I think ultimately the sense of war (or conflict, if you want to be less grandiose) as a means of human expression and being is too monolithic to be an accurate reflection of what I take from the McCarthy I've read. Blood Meridian, along with the Border Trilogy, No Country for Old Men and the road, is a highly individual text in that the focus lies predominately on one person's experience of the world. It may be shaped by interactions with other characters we are given insight too, but everything returns to the main character and how they are affected by what goes on. While this is the case in Blood Meridian the events and the interpretations thereof by the characters able to offer such insight are too broad, too large-scale to be truly relatable to the plight of the individual. The kid at times barely feels like anything other than a fly on the wall to the events described, yet it's through this perspective the reader has to contend with various philosophical arguments espoused throughout, explicitly or otherwise.

Is that why I started out by saying that I find Blood Meridian 'strange' in relation to McCarthy's other Westerns, in that it seems more complex than the works which followed it? Probably. I certainly don't think it lessens the impact of what the book is about however, and to consider that this, The Crossing and No Country for Old Men came from the same writer on the same subject and which are so similar and distinctive in terms of style can be so distinct themselves in how they explore their themes is, well... I'll leave you to ponder that silently as you peer round an open door.

One other thing I will add any time I read one of these such books: for a writer who focuses so rigidly on short, direct sentences I am always amazed at their effectiveness in depicting a sense of scale. The desert borderlands the book is set in are huge, the men travelling through them insignificant. This sense of scale alone could be described in reference-length works, yet McCarthy is able to do the same by saying that some men travelled for five days and saw no change in the landscape. It's an astonishingly fitting style of writing for the things he actually writes about.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I didn't read your post about Blood Meridian - although I will, because the second half of the book is as great as anything I've ever read - I just wanted to tell you I bought a cleaner version of The Great Gatsby to read soon because I was touched by your ode.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
A_Rumor_Of_War.jpg

One of the best books I've read from a soldiers point of view . Up there with Tim O'Brien The things they carried , but a Rumor of war is darker , and at times more compelling as we witness how a man transforms from a naive suburban youth to a man whose soul has been darkened by war .

9.1/10

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I've been reading the first compilation of Arsene Lupin short stories. They're like Sherlock Holmes but he's a thief instead of detective and there's no Watson. They are fun books but I'd say a notch below Holmes, in the public domain for free download on goodreads as epubs for anyone interested.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
the-ministry-of-utmost-happiness.jpg.size.custom.crop.453x650.jpg

The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy

Arundhati Roy wrote one of the last great novels of the 20th century, The God of Small Things, a work that examined the tragic lives of two twins in India who were scarred by laws that dictated who should love whom and how. Twenty years passed by before she released her next novel, The Ministry of Utmost Happiness, and I am sorry to say that it is a major disappointment, a long, infrequently compelling read which badly needs reorganization and editing. While the novel is about transgender outcasts and an awkward menage a trois, it also provides a recent history of Kashmir's life and times from a political activist's point of view. While the book starts promisingly, it soon becomes a slog that is both confusing and meandering. There are some beautiful passages of writing, enough of them to allow me to complete the book. But I don't really think the effort was sufficiently rewarding to recommend the book to anyone else.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Loved your Gatsby review , Ceremony . Hadn't read the great gatsby since the 9th grade English class and was too busy clowning around to pay attention .

Have nothing to add to your review. Spot on.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
51Y%2BeK1xABL.SX316.jpg

Smile, by Paddy Doyle

Smile is a complex character study of Victor Forde, a man trying to reconnect with his past and wondering where his life went. The catalyst for all this is Fitzpatrick, a guy he meets in a bar who seems to know him from his schoolboy days but Victor has no memories of him whatsoever, though he thinks he might remember the Fitzpatrick's sister--or maybe not. Most of the novel takes place in Victor's head as he is walking to or from his new local or drinking with Fitzpatrick and other new chums in the pub. Doyle employs an effortless, free-flowing conversational style that is one of the easiest reads in the business. There is little of his trademark humour here for the very good reason that it would be out of place. I still haven't figured out whether the twist ending worked despite the fact that I could see it coming from a long way off. In short, Smile is another fine work from a very reliable writer.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
u34+1F!EVWH7ngw7NLVXIcKIKW2pmYA+Gl!w8rbMsYH!BRIAG5OUet9tcq9F2XjffXkZsjELHH1dotzfe59Az2vNK7LiZyZN+sBWsKtMX1WWsW1OYzkgsRAdZgmVYczu

Since We Fell
, by Dennis Lehane

Because Lehane is such a great genre writer, (Gone, Baby, Gone; Mystic River; Moonlight Mile), I often wondered what he would do with a more serious approach. I got a bit of a taste of that during the first 160 pages of Since We Fell, and, unfortunately, I can't say I was impressed. For the longest time, the novel is a character study that focuses on traumatized Rachel who because of an embarrassing panic attack on national TV has retreated to her apartment and her own inner world in which she fears even going out for groceries. Finally, Bryan, an old informal acquaintance, breaks through her defenses and she begins to come out of her shell; it is a long pedestrian ramble to this point, but now the fun starts. Bryan isn't exactly who he seems to be and we are off on a merry ride. Unfortunately, it's a merry ride that depends way too much on wildly unlikely surprises and on way too many dubious occurrences to take seriously. Although the second half of the book becomes a page turner, albeit of the cheap trick variety, the first half of the book is so much of a slog that many readers may not hang around long enough to get to the entertaining bits. All this suggests a talented writer who has run out of ideas but not out of the sheer technique which still allows him to create the literary equivalent of "product." Unless Lehane has some good ideas tucked away in a cookie jar somewhere, it may all be downhill from here.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Seems like my post about The Artist as a Young Man was lost. Damn. I'll take your advice Kihei though, and it'll probably be much less than a decade before I crack it open again. Anyhow,

Being There by Jerzy Kosinski (1970) - Finished this one a few days ago. A short novel about a simple man named Chance who through a series of zany and non-sensical coincidences becomes famous overnight and a person of interest for the president of the United States and the Soviet Union. This is due to his incredibly simple reasoning about the garden he loves to tend to in the only home he's ever known - and had never left until recently, after the death of The Old Man - and while the story was compelling, the point was lost on me and the dialogue felt clunky and without much reward. People spoke and nothing of importance to the story or to the thought of the characters was said. Kosinski's talent lay in his prose outside of the dialogue. Easy-to-read, straight to the point with the odd short and sweet poetic line and this is where the reward of the story lays. It was also a humorous story - albeit filled with plot-holes, too many unlikely and dangerous actions from various characters considering the world Chances mingles in when the story truly takes off - and I would often crack a smile at Chance's interactions with EE, a woman who falls in love with him as well as basing his actions solely on what he'd seen on TV throughout the years. Still, despite the obvious commentary on the media and our relationship with it, I often felt like Kosinski's larger point in regards to it was lost and unclear. A fun and humorous story, though. I felt the last passage was the strongest in the book. That's the sign of a strong writer, to me. A finish with sweet and abrupt impact.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
32191710.jpg

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, by Neil Degrasse Tyson

Every so often, I like to read about what is going on in the universe. My inner-nerd is fascinated by this stuff mainly because so much of what is happening is inexplicable and/or just plain mind-blowing. As I am bloody awful at science and math, I never come close to understanding any of the theories or terms like "quantam physics," but I learn some neat facts that I didn't know before. Neil Degrasse Tyson writes simply and plainly and provides a great goodie bag of such facts (or, to be fair, inferences). For instance in this book I have learned or had clarified some doozies. Like, for starters, if you add up all the matter and all the energy out there, you still come up way, way short of what the universe contains. This is so perplexing that scientists have had to create two new terms--dark energy and dark matter--in an attempt to make up the difference. They know for a fact that dark energy and dark matter make up the vast majority of what is out there, but no one has even a decent clue concerning what it is. Another tidbit: there is pretty much general agreement that the universe is expanding at a very rapid rate and will do so for eternity. If that is the case, the universe is shaped like a saddle. How do they know that? Don't ask me. Final bit: more and more theorists believe that there exists not a single universe, but a multiverse which may "contain" an infinite number of universes. (Mull that one over long enough and your brain will explode). The science eludes me, but I very much like one elegantly simple, non-scientific rationale for multiple universes: things almost never come in ones. Our own universe contains a hundred billion galaxies, but because the universe continues to expand at mind-numbing speeds, versions of humans in the distant future may look at the night sky and have no idea that there is anything out there but our own galaxy. It looks like truth has already ended up being a lot stranger than fiction. So, yeah, I enjoyed this book.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad