Books: Last Book You Read and Rate It

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
9780375756764-us.jpg

Plutarch is probably the greatest biographer of all time and a great writer . In Lives he profiles many of the ancient powerful Roman and Greek figures in , at times , excruciating detail, showing what made them great , and what made them not so great. My biggest complaint is a lot of the writing is made up of the battles and wars they fought , and after awhile it all kind of sounds the same , and because of this it becomes a bit bogged down in the density of the writing .

Those interested in ancient history would really enjoy this.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
71iOg1JgtuL.jpg

Most of what is in this book is known now - the Iraq war was a mistake, pushed on the public, not so much by Bush , but by men hidden in the shadows - Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz who spun some very faulty intelligence into a sort of truth and made a patsy out of Colin Powell who they used to sell the war to the American public.

Saddam in 2001-2003 was a leader in title only , he had given up the reins to his VP & was more focused on writing poetry and his 700 page Arabian romance novel .

Paul Bremer might have made the biggest blunder of all in deciding to disband the Iraqi army putting 300,000 plus men out of work, disenfranchising them, and planting the seeds of what the world would come to know later as ISIS.
Lots of people in government & the CIA spoke out against this move, but Bush showing poor leadership skills just said “It’s in Bremer’s hands.”

There was no planning at all of building a post war Iraq. They just assumed democracy would prevail , but what they were mostly concerned about was “protecting” Iraqi oil fields . And the asking price of the countries that signed up for the coalition of the willing ? A slice of the oil pie.

It should come as no surprise that it was always about oil .

Reactions: Richard

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
510qZt6+dEL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finally finished this book- (three weeks after I started it, which is very slow for me). Most surprisingly, the beginning to middle of this book is just decent, maybe falls into "good" range, but the ending is superb, even majestical.

Just in case you couldn't guess by the title this book is about Napoleons invasion of Russia and is essentially broken into three broad areas: prologue/build up by Russia and France, invasion to French occupation of Moscow, and, finally, the retreat.

The prologue adequately described the motivations and objectives (or lack thereof) of the parties. Need it say more? The most interesting segment of this part of the book had to do with Russia’s planned invasion of French territory and how, despite how history remembers it, were as aggressive and foolhardy as the French. Napoleon just blinked first in the dangerous game of 18th early 19th century diplomacy by gun.

The invasion to the occupation of Moscow is probably the weakest part of the book but it is still well written and polished. It is higher level history with great events described well and succinctly. The great battle of Borodino is described in a scant 20 pages at most. The action is described and rarely descends before the very high level. The author also makes conclusive statements of military fact that I did not find totally support for in the preceding pages- for example he will make a point such as this: Marshal Davout’s plan was the correct plan and would have smashed the Russian army. Which may or may not be true, but there is scant evidence provided other than a generic paragraph describing the Russian dispositions being shifted too far to the right (northwest) flank. The author makes a half dozen or so of these statements of military fact that I will have to further research and review with other sources. This isn’t a big deal but don’t go into this book expecting to know the position of 84th regiment of the line at 0800 on 7 September 1812. I’m fine with how the author approached this segment and, while not earth shattering, set up and fully supported the last section of the book, covering the French retreat and the close of the campaign.

Finally, the last section of the book is unbelievably good. It is a literal page-turner-it took me two and a half weeks to get through the first 400 pages of this book and two hours to read the last 160 pages. It is marvelous, haunting and expands on the tragedy by completely humanizing it. The greatest strength of this section is that it could have been deeply repetitive – march, freeze, repeat- but it is certainly not. The author cleverly describes, much as the French allied soldiers saw, the march in stages where each stage could have been the end of their suffering, but, for a variety of reasons, was not.

The life of the great men of the era totally come to life. You can almost feel the presence of Napoleon holding things together despite ALL odds. Then, when the great man leaves (which may have been the right decision politically, doomed the remnants of his army.), you see the entire thing fall apart. The Marshals of France, while personally brave, were NOT Napoleon. It was his will that drove them and it is touching to read of his armies devotion to him.

Then you have heroes such as Marshal Ney literally led his tattered band through the country and back into French lines, finally go into the officers billet in Vilma and have someone accost him and he say “I’m the rear-guard, I am Marshal Ney!” all bearded and bloody. Then you have Marshal Murat at the head of the retreating column running into a fresh French division asking for orders saying “We are f***ed get the hell out of here.” Not very brave but his bluntness is absolutely savage and hilarious (but his leadership…. YUCK).

It was interesting to read that the Russians lost as many men as the French to cold and frost and simply kept pressing new men (even enemies) into the ranks.

In conclusion, I’d rate this book 9 out of 10 stars as the ending was just that good.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Atlas Shrugged

atlas-shrugged-centennial-ed-hc.jpg

This is a really weird book. It's also really long. About 1100+ pages, of which I read 800. Since I didn't finish it I won't rate it, but let's just say it sucks.

I had planned to give it 1/5, but perhaps that's too generous, I don't know.

I borrowed this book from the library, but one thing I didn't expect from it is that it's largely a romance novel. A long, slow, draggy, wordy romance novel.

It's partly a romance novel, partly a mystery novel, and partly about politics/philosophy. I guess there's also some light science fiction? There's also a Norwegian pirate in the story, Ragnar, as a side character. I read on Wikipedia that apparently there were originally parts written about Ragnar's adventures at sea, eventually cut from the published text. So imagine adding that to the already mentioned genres: adventure novel.

Anyways. When I was younger I read a children's detective book called Agaton Sax and the League of Silent Exploders (Agaton Sax och den ljudlösa sprängämnesligan) where the protagonist detective Agaton Sax jumps into an abandoned plane half-way through the story in pursuit of the bad guys. This also happens in Atlas Shrugged. Half-way through the story main protagonist Dagny jumps into an abandoned plane in pursuit of the bad guy. I had a good laugh at that.

56937809._SY475_.jpg

What really sucks with Atlas Shrugged is the language. It's so bad I almost suspect it's some kind of genre parody. At times it devolves into almost incomprehensible gibberish. Always describing colors and feelings and whatever. It's also very repetitive, and the monologue parts just feel unnatural. All the speech delivering characters talks exactly the same, like they're just a mouthpiece for the author.

What eventually had me dropping the book though was when I realized

Dagny had fallen in love with John Galt

Like, I seriously read all that shit about her and Hank Rearden, just for her to dump him for some other douchebag?

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
91rQXcpR5+L.jpg

If I first read Nietzsche when I was in my late teens, early 20’s, I would have sung his praises from the rooftops and thought of him as the greatest thinker of all time , but as I push closer and closer to 40 I am better at not buying into , and agreeing with everything only because a “great thinker” penned it.

I think Nietzsche has some great quotes - “when fighting monsters be careful that you yourself do not become a monster , as when one gazes long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.”

“Madness is something rare in individuals, but in groups it is the rule.”
And this is what is usually quoted and remembered about him, but the further you read the more you see his views are misogynistic, with empty rallying cries against democracy, the church, the English, and being part of the herd.

Ever since there have been human beings there have also been human herds- it’s how we survived for thousands of years .

and now that we have become more isolated - loneliness, and mental health issues have gone way up, so if anything , I’d argue that we should become more tribal, more herd like . Look at our inaction on Covid, climate change, etc, etc.

there are some good parts to the book, and some universal truths , no doubt, but time has proved Nietzsche wrong on many of his arguments here, and because of that, the book is passable, in my opinion.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde – 3.85/5

9780141192642_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

I thought this one was pretty good, though not without some flaws.

Firstly, I love how all the characters are introduced, and I think the best parts of the novel are in the ongoing dynamics between the central characters, or between the central characters and some of the side characters. I feel whenever a character gets too much isolated, it kinda transforms into the text a bit, and the story becomes a bit static. There are still parts with an isolated character that works pretty well, but I think there's still some that doesn't work as well.

What works best for me in this novel are the parts where Wilde's famous wit comes through, and most often that's in the dialogue between the title character and his good friend Lord Henry. There's a light flow in those segments which is really nice.

There's also a pretty nice description of the immediate London surroundings, most of the time.

One thing I could have done without was some of the more excessive name-dropping. Like, there's a whole chapter in the middle of the story where Wilde is name-dropping many old kings and queens and jewelry and perfumes, and whatever. I didn't get the point with that chapter, but perhaps there is one. And in other parts of the story other famous people are randomly name-dropped, from Bernal Díaz del Castillo to Giordano Bruno.

I'm not a big fan in general of the supernatural in novels, but I think it still works relatively well here as some of kind of a backdrop. Despite it being the most central thing of the story, the painting, it still lurks somewhat in the backwaters most of the time.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
GUEST_7c464b7f-0e81-4a99-a35e-a548a5c1e0bd

Pretty good listen. The narrator is phenomenal. He doesn't sound like hes reading at all. Sounds like hes having a conversation with you. As for the actual book, its a decent story. There's only a couple of characters so its really easy to follow. 8/10 would recommend.

Reactions: Thucydides

climbingbill

Aug 5, 2021
This is Hippasus:

Student Solutions Manual for Stewart's Single Variable Calculus: early transcendentals 600

In short: Attempting to go through this monograph was the best thing I've done since graduating from college. I have a fair number of mathematics books, but ones with reasonably worked-out solutions are less than common in my collection. I've heard the best way to learn calculus, or mathematics on general, is by doing, as opposed to just reading, and this book gave me an opportunity to do that. I found what I thought to be a few typos, but nevertheless the presentation and notation seemed to be clear and precise. There is a fair bit of algebra and trigonometry. Transitions between inferences aren't typically explained at all, but it is up to the student to understand them. With the primary text as well as having brushed-up on precalculus, this was within reach , but only with ample effort.

200: distasteful and pathetic
300: mediocre or subpar
400: average, but decent
500: very good
600: superb
700: transcendental

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Farewell, My Lovely (1940) by Raymond Chandler - Forgot to review this. Fun, but kind of lost interest. I think I expected to like it more than I did. His premises and scene set-ups are fun but the wanderings didn't do too much for me. I'll get around to it again at some point for sure because he for sure as style and some of his lines are right up my alley. Don't know why it didn't go down as easy as it should've.

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card. It's one of my favorite books. I love to write down quotes from the book I read. recently I found cool service http://bestquotesland.com with hundreds of quotes from famous people.Love to reread them from time to time.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
This is Hippasus:

Student Solutions Manual for Stewart's Single Variable Calculus: early transcendentals 600

In short: Attempting to go through this monograph was the best thing I've done since graduating from college. I have a fair number of mathematics books, but ones with reasonably worked-out solutions are less than common in my collection. I've heard the best way to learn calculus, or mathematics on general, is by doing, as opposed to just reading, and this book gave me an opportunity to do that. I found what I thought to be a few typos, but nevertheless the presentation and notation seemed to be clear and precise. There is a fair bit of algebra and trigonometry. Transitions between inferences aren't typically explained at all, but it is up to the student to understand them. With the primary text as well as having brushed-up on precalculus, this was within reach , but only with ample effort.

200: distasteful and pathetic
300: mediocre or subpar
400: average, but decent
500: very good
600: superb
700: transcendental
What happened to Hippasus?

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
81jMLGf5xlL.jpg

A great book about a woman who goes missing in Tokyo, and as much as it is a true crime story, it’s also a great peek into Japanese culture and their system of justice . If true crime is your thing, this is a great read .

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
9780252009884.OL.0.l.jpg

Over the past few years I have started paying attention to the collapse of civilization . It’s not something you notice unless you’re actively looking for it , and then you can see it everywhere.
I’ve stopped paying attention and instead choose to live in the present as much as I can , so not to affect my mental health too much.

Catton , the author of the bleak book, overshoot, saw it all coming 41 years ago.

I had a knot in my stomach at times reading this. Due to massive population growth , and a tragic addiction to fossil fuels we have vastly overshot the earth’s resources in being able to sustain us. We grew up in an age of exuberance , wasteful living , fast fashion, etc , etc became the norm and it was only a matter of time before it was all going to catch up to us.

The situation and the future is dire. An important, interesting book written from a scientific viewpoint .

highly recommend.

9/10

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-10_16-34-32.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-10_16-34-32.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Chili and Hippasus

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51CgK5tPG2L.jpg

One of the best true crime books I’ve read. Ann Rule once worked at a mental health hotline , next to, you guessed it, Ted Bundy.

If you want to read about the Ted Bundy case, this is the book. If you’re a fan of true crime, this is one of the best.

Very hard to put down, but I’m glad to be done with it.

9/10

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll – 4.5/5

I thought this one was pretty great. It's a quick read, the story's well paced, language is great, there's a great tone to it, there are some interesting characters, there are some great situations, et cetera. Some of the things are probably a bit dated, or time-bound so to speak, but I don't think datedness or time-boundness is necessarily a negative thing, or it doesn't necessarily have to be a negative thing.

It doesn't say anything profound about anything, but it's an entertaining read.

Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll – 2.5/5

This one's decidedly worse than the aforementioned one. It does have some of the same things of the first one, on the positive side of things, but it just drags on too much about nothing in particular. And there really aren't much great situations. There's a really slow chapter towards the end where a White Knight just keeps falling off his horse, and keeps falling off his horse, and keeps falling off his horse. I didn't get it. I thought it was absolutely painful to read, that chapter.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
51CgK5tPG2L.jpg

One of the best true crime books I’ve read. Ann Rule once worked at a mental health hotline , next to, you guessed it, Ted Bundy.

Read this back in the 90s,.. remind me if I remember right. Rule randomly encountered Bundy as a co-worker. And she was an aspiring crime author at the time. An aspiring, unknown crime writer happens to end up working side by side with one of the most infamous killers in history (?).. you can't make this stuff up.
An obscure Bundy book I own is 'The Phantom Prince'. Written originally by Bundy's girlfriend under a pen name. I think it's been rereleased with the girlfriend now revealing her real name.
It's strange that there is currently a renewed interest in Bundy.. seems like everytime I look at Hulu's home page there's another Bundy doc.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Read this back in the 90s,.. remind me if I remember right. Rule randomly encountered Bundy as a co-worker. And she was an aspiring crime author at the time. An aspiring, unknown crime writer happens to end up working side by side with one of the most infamous killers in history (?).. you can't make this stuff up.
An obscure Bundy book I own is 'The Phantom Prince'. Written originally by Bundy's girlfriend under a pen name. I think it's been rereleased with the girlfriend now revealing her real name.
It's strange that there is currently a renewed interest in Bundy.. seems like everytime I look at Hulu's home page there's another Bundy doc.

you’ve remembered correctly. They worked at a mental health hotline together , and she came to really like Bundy as he showed great empathy toward the callers and their personal matters.

not sure why the renewed interest in Bundy. Maybe the movie with Zac Efron had something to do with it.

there was mention in Rule’s book about his girlfriend “Meg” penning a book on Bundy. Have you read it ? Was it good? Don’t think I want to read another Bundy book. Haha .

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
you’ve remembered correctly..
there was mention in Rule’s book about his girlfriend “Meg” penning a book on Bundy. Have you read it ? Was it good? Don’t think I want to read another Bundy book. Haha .
I'm with u.. I have to take the serial killer stuff in small doses. And I noticed after I became a parent, I lost a lot of interest in it, anxiously imagining the anguish all the victims' parents go thru..
The Phantom Prince is kind of mundane, because Bundy's live-in girlfriend was (obviously) kept in the dark about his killings.. but it does give some insights/accounting in to the functions of Bundy's daily, visible life.. It was originally authored under the pen name 'Elizabeth Kendall', but I seem to remember it was rereleased under her real name years later; guess she no longer felt she needed to cloak her identity. First release must've been a short run because I paid like $80 for it (used) years ago :baghead:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I'm with u.. I have to take the serial killer stuff in small doses. And I noticed after I became a parent, I lost a lot of interest in it, anxiously imagining the anguish all the victims' parents go thru..
The Phantom Prince is kind of mundane, because Bundy's live-in girlfriend was (obviously) kept in the dark about his killings.. but it does give some insights/accounting in to the functions of Bundy's daily, visible life.. It was originally authored under the pen name 'Elizabeth Kendall', but I seem to remember it was rereleased under her real name years later; guess she no longer felt she needed to cloak her identity. First release must've been a short run because I paid like $80 for it (used) years ago :baghead:

Yes - I’m the same way. Pretty recently had a kid & my interest in true crime has gone way down. Couldn’t imagine.

$80 is steep! You must have really wanted it, haha.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
1495768._SX318_.jpg

A Life in the Movies: An Autobiography by Fred Zinnemann

Alot of interesting background on his films and some that didn't get made. 4 academy awards, 9 nominations, some classics (i.e. The Search, From Here to Eternity, High Noon, A Man For All Seasons). Over 400 photos in the book.

I enjoy the realism in his films, lots of location shooting maybe because he started as a cameraman. Actors like Marlon Brando (The Men) and Meryl Streep (Julia) made their debuts in one of his films.

Good read, nice companion while watching his films.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
41HCpQ1ffgS.jpg

A young man gets turned into an ass, and life takes him on many journeys, filled with cruel mistreatments. The book has a little bit of everything - robbers , murders, slave women, witches , ghosts, people transformed into animals and a little bestiality thrown in for good measure. It takes awhile for it all begins to click , and then the reader realizes that we are following one mans journey through suffering and pleasure, ultimately leading him to a spiritual transformation.

7.5/10

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Stephen King - "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft" (2000)

I've been meaning to read this book for a long time. It was enjoyable, but not transcendent.

The first section is semi-autobiographical (it's not strictly his life story, as it focuses primarily on the development of his interest in writing from a childhood hobby into a successful career). The most striking section was when talked about writing in his trailer while working menial jobs to support his growing family. (Apparently he threw the beginning of "Carrie", his breakthrough novel, in the trash, but his wife retrieved it, and encouraged him to continue).

The next several sections talk about the mechanics of writing (grammar, dialogue, theme, etc.), and King's writing process. He quotes examples of good and bad prose from other authors. A repeated recommendation is to "omit needless words". Unfortunately, much of the remaining advice was generic. The discussion about his process for writing and editing (which can be described as structured, disciplined, or perhaps obsessive) was more engaging, as it was specific and clear.

King said that the stories he wrote weren't his - they were like fossils in the ground, and it was his job to chip away the dirt, without damaging the prize. (An interesting image, but I'm not sure if it offers much practical advice).

The final section is short but engaging. King talks about his near-fatal accident, when he was struck by a vehicle while going for his daily walk. He describes the incident and its aftermath in vivid detail. He then talks about how writing again (and finishing this book) was an important part of his recovery. This section easily could have become mawkish, but he doesn't descend into flowery clichés about how writing saved his life.

This was an enjoyable read, but more for the semi-autobiographical fragments, rather than the actual advice on writing.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
97816103956941.jpg

I saw this book at the bookstore a few times and always put it back on the shelf because I wasn’t feeling a 600 page back on social media . Glad I finally did get around to reading it . Although too long and repetitive at times - she’s repeating the same points for different companies . I think the book probably could have been whittled down to 350 pages instead of the 500+ and still would have gotten the point across without missing anything .

If you’ve been thinking of getting off social media , read this book; it’ll convince you to remove yourself.

The argument she makes in this book is that we are becoming what Orwell imagined in 1984- a surveillance state where surveillance capitalists rules above government and is a big threat to democracy & our individual freedom.

eye opening and thought provoking read and in this day and age, an important one.

7.5/10

Reactions: Pink Mist

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Atlas Shrugged

atlas-shrugged-centennial-ed-hc.jpg

This is a really weird book. It's also really long. About 1100+ pages, of which I read 800. Since I didn't finish it I won't rate it, but let's just say it sucks.

I had planned to give it 1/5, but perhaps that's too generous, I don't know.

I borrowed this book from the library, but one thing I didn't expect from it is that it's largely a romance novel. A long, slow, draggy, wordy romance novel.

It's partly a romance novel, partly a mystery novel, and partly about politics/philosophy. I guess there's also some light science fiction? There's also a Norwegian pirate in the story, Ragnar, as a side character. I read on Wikipedia that apparently there were originally parts written about Ragnar's adventures at sea, eventually cut from the published text. So imagine adding that to the already mentioned genres: adventure novel.

Anyways. When I was younger I read a children's detective book called Agaton Sax and the League of Silent Exploders (Agaton Sax och den ljudlösa sprängämnesligan) where the protagonist detective Agaton Sax jumps into an abandoned plane half-way through the story in pursuit of the bad guys. This also happens in Atlas Shrugged. Half-way through the story main protagonist Dagny jumps into an abandoned plane in pursuit of the bad guy. I had a good laugh at that.

56937809._SY475_.jpg

What really sucks with Atlas Shrugged is the language. It's so bad I almost suspect it's some kind of genre parody. At times it devolves into almost incomprehensible gibberish. Always describing colors and feelings and whatever. It's also very repetitive, and the monologue parts just feel unnatural. All the speech delivering characters talks exactly the same, like they're just a mouthpiece for the author.

What eventually had me dropping the book though was when I realized

Dagny had fallen in love with John Galt

Like, I seriously read all that shit about her and Hank Rearden, just for her to dump him for some other douchebag?
It always had the reputation of being unreadable. I don't know a single guy who finished it and I studied English literature and culture (this includes American studies). I think I gave up after about 300 pages. It didn't help that I knew the philosophy behind it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad